Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

19 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Redskins are apparently bringing in a new CB, Jamarcus King (UFA) out of southern Carolina for training camp. Word is he’ll most likely be kept on the practice squad. Perhaps the team wants to get a good look at him Incase we let Norman walk next offseason? 

UDFA's are not likely to be thought of as replacements for franchise player CBs, even with a year of grooming.  If we let Norman walk then CB will likely become a top target for free agency and the draft alongside G and probably QB

11 minutes ago, carex said:

UDFA's are not likely to be thought of as replacements for franchise player CBs, even with a year of grooming.  If we let Norman walk then CB will likely become a top target for free agency and the draft alongside G and probably QB

I was just stating what the article from that football 24/7 website said ? 

it says “he would be seen as a developmental prospect and likely practice squad candidate and should remain with the redskins beyond training camp” (the part about replacing Norman was just my GUESS, meaning I wasn’t saying it would happen for sure). 

5 hours ago, NickyJ said:

Remember when we signed that UDFA OT, Ty McCulley, after the draft? I'm guessing we brought him in to replace Trent Williams. If you haven't heard of Ty, no worries. The FO certainly has. :headbang:

I didnt say this CB would 100% be the replacement for Josh Norman, I was just stating a GUESS ? good lord. 

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

:ols: an udfa is going to replace a top 5 player in one year :ols:

Quit trolling kid :ols:

Thats awesome. Well done. 

Again, i did not say it was a definite thing, so I’m not sure why everyone is acting like i said that. What i said was “perhaps the team wants to get a good look at him incase Norman leaves?”. Could be wrong. Could be right. Nobody knows. That was my main point. 

12 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Again, i did not say it was a definite thing, so I’m not sure why everyone is acting like i said that. What i said was “perhaps the team wants to get a good look at him incase Norman leaves?”. Could be wrong. Could be right. Nobody knows. That was my main point. 

we do know though.  It's not for that reason

I was talking a few days back about the TE blocking.  Cooley likes to talk about Jay loving to run the Duo.  Two double blocks part the seas play -- typically inside run.  But he likes to say, if your TEs can't hold the edge the play doesn't always work that great because the edge rusher can crash laterally on the play if they are fast enough and or if the MLB like you see here is ready to greet you, you can't really adjust to that by shifting outside unless the TE blocks his man.  Lawrence ends up running right by Jordan Reed.  Doesn't end up mattering in this play because Kelley runs right into the MLB anyway.

Yeah I've been saying there are big holes missed by the RBs.  But I think I get from a layperson's perspective what Cooley means about if you are going to go heavy duo you need TEs who are above average blockers to get the most out of that play. 

redskinsduo2.thumb.png.b36d1200a82ae91e2c3e0991faa50d35.png

Having  seen Reed in action at the Wembley game he is the type of player who does just take over a game when he is healthy -

that “when he is healthy”is huge - and I can see why people are saying this is an important season for him 

but the critism I see ( as in SIPs ) post above seems to be - let’s get rid of him because he cannot run block when we go to heavy concepts - let’s totally disregard everything positive he does and his impact in the game  and focus solely and only on run blocking ... 

I understand the health thing but pulling him down in his run blocking is what we on ES always do find something and key ONLY on that  ... and turn on our own 

sorry but but in those kinds of downs the only reason Reed should be on the field is a decoy . If you are going to go heavy then have a heavy set ( like other teams do) and trot out additional OT and make him eligible ( like we used to do with Lo ... it baffles me sometimes when we try stuff like this 

It's not just a heavy set. If we have 1 TE on the field, it being Reed means we aren't running it, because he puts in minimum effort. He almost looks like he doesn't even want to touch the guy he's supposed to block. It's infuriating. 

3 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

but the critism I see ( as in SIPs ) post above seems to be - let’s get rid of him because he cannot run block when we go to heavy concepts - let’s totally disregard everything positive he does and his impact in the game  and focus solely and only on run blocking ... 

I was just watching a game on coaches tape and saw that duo play first so I wasn't per se trying to pick on Reed.  According to Cooley, V. Davis is just as bad a blocker as Reed.  He thinks Sprinkle has potential but isn't hot at it yet.  I haven't really focused much on the TE blocking, I just started to.

Jordan Reed to me is a stud when healthy so yeah I am not in a get rid of the dude mode even a whit, yet.  I am saying in thread after thread if he's healthy I think they make the playoffs if he's not then they don't.  So I think highly of the player.  To me though the injuries are starting to get absurd where if he misses 6-8 games again, I think you have to move on from him after this season.

Though even with a heathy Reed, I think you need a TE who can both block and catch just to keep the defense honest. Maybe Sprinkle ends up that guy, will see.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I was just watching a game on coaches tape and saw that duo play first so I wasn't per se trying to pick on Reed.  According to Cooley, V. Davis is just as bad a blocker as Reed.  He thinks Sprinkle has potential but isn't hot at it yet.  I haven't really focused much on the TE blocking, I just started to.

Jordan Reed to me is a stud when healthy so yeah I am not in a get rid of the dude mode even a whit, yet.  I am saying in thread after thread if he's healthy I think they make the playoffs if he's not then they don't.  So I think highly of the player.  To me though the injuries are starting to get absurd where if he misses 6-8 games again, I think you have to move on from him after this season.

Though even with a heathy Reed, I think you need a TE who can both block and catch just to keep the defense honest. Maybe Sprinkle ends up that guy, will see.

I am wondering if maybe we see more Christian in the second TE role in running downs... so he can contribute in specific packages in his rookie years  - or maybe risk Ty in there more often. 

I agree with you about the injuries and there is something to be said against having a older version of Reed in Davis on the roster without solid blocking options too 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I wouldn't mind if the Skins picked up a roster cut during/before training camp who is a vet blocking TE. 

3 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

I am wondering if maybe we see more Christian in the second TE role in running downs... so he can contribute in specific packages in his rookie years  - or maybe risk Ty in there more often. 

That brings its own problems. We'd be telegraphing that we're going to run, which we've been doing for years and have failed every time.

10 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

That brings its own problems. We'd be telegraphing that we're going to run, which we've been doing for years and have failed every time.

Not necessarily if you do it on running downs... not just on running plays.  We can still pass on 2nd and short out of a 'run' formation.  

A part of me wishes we would spread Reed out wide more often and run out of it.  Even make him a hot route receiver.  Split him out and run a go route.  He's glass so there's no reason we should be asking him to take on a pass rusher.  Get him out of the line of fire sometimes.  If he's split wide against a DB then most of the time a Safety will cheat over.  If he doesn't and they stack the box, have a hot option to switch to if it looks better.  Use him as a decoy (as others have suggested) instead of relying on him to block. 

I think the idea of Christian stepping in situationally is interesting.  Not something new for us of course, but it gets him some PT and alleviates our issue with Reed/Davis blocking.  Certainly get the idea he would telegraph a run, but... you can always send Guice out on a route and still have a sixth blocker/fourth pass catcher.  Not very different than keeping your back or TE in to pass block I’d think.  

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

A part of me wishes we would spread Reed out wide more often and run out of it.  Even make him a hot route receiver.  Split him out and run a go route.  He's glass so there's no reason we should be asking him to take on a pass rusher.  Get him out of the line of fire sometimes.  If he's split wide against a DB then most of the time a Safety will cheat over.  If he doesn't and they stack the box, have a hot option to switch to if it looks better.  Use him as a decoy (as others have suggested) instead of relying on him to block. 

I’d like to see more 22 personel packges with Reed in motion. Then the defense won’t know if it’s run or pass with Reed in motion. It certainly looks run, but with Reed, it coulp easily be pass. It’d be a great formation for an audible opportunity depending on what the defensive formation shows. If run, Guice could have a FB lead blocker. Perine could fit that role. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived