Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jonathan Allen to miss rest of season

Unbias

Hey man, you're right, this blows. :(

Just a little thing since you're still relatively new post-count-wise (which doesn't say anything about the quality of poster, since I have over 20K and they're all crap!), the formatting can be important.  I know the Dustin Hopkins one didn't have it right, either, so if I were in your shoes then I would've just followed that example.

You want to make sure that you say the source and then the title of the article.  For yours it would be "PFT: Jonathan Allen to Miss Rest of Season", so you basically got it right, just the source part.  Not trying to be nit-picky, it just keeps the board cleaner.

You can also check out the injury thread to see if it's posted there, too.  Since this is such a big deal I could see it warranting a new thread, but the mods who are Dan Snyder's pets and paid off and eat puppies and spoil Santa Claus might view it differently.

Just to be clear:  This is *NOT* a passive aggressive post or me calling you a dumbass, just trying to help a poster out and keep the board neat. :)

EDIT:  And thank you for linking to the actual article.  That's rarer than you'd think.

This is HUGE.  This team man, we are snake bitten.  Hopefully he can come back next year without any lingering issues.  But again we are going into the biggest game of the year so far with some major injuries. 

2 staring CBs Norman - Breeland

Allen - big loss as he and Ioannidis were tag teaming so well in the middle of the line.

Trent Williams - He was barely walking against the Rams...has he gotten better?  don't know but we need him badly

Kelly, hopefully he can play, but how effective will he be against the Eagles DL?

We are a little think in FA right?  Nicholson has been playing well but he has a bump shoulder so lets hope he stays healthy.

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I thought the 3-4 week timeframe stated yesterday seemed abnormal for this injury with this being the more likely scenario.

Just ugh.

Didn't we draft a safety a few years back, I think same year as Amerson, who had a Lisfranc injury and was gonna be back any minute?  Phillip Thomas.  It was so frustrating.  At least we're not being teased that he could come back, and we're not rushing him.

And hey, it wasn't a shoulder thing!

22 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Didn't we draft a safety a few years back, I think same year as Amerson, who had a Lisfranc injury and was gonna be back any minute?  Phillip Thomas.  It was so frustrating.  At least we're not being teased that he could come back, and we're not rushing him.

And hey, it wasn't a shoulder thing!

Morgan Moses also had Lisfranc and he has come back nicely. Not sure what your point is. There are plenty of examples of both players coming back and not coming back. It's a case by case thing. Not something you can draw any inference from.

Allen is a strong minded guy with a great work ethic (not saying others were not, just talking about Allen.). If he can come back he will. I hope so. He is just such a great addition to the team.

I do agree it's good they are not rushing him back. Give him to rehab properly.

A couple thoughts: 

1 - Anytime I've heard LisFranc it's a season ender. It typically needs surgery and the ankle is a tight area with many moving parts, so I just don't get how some reports have it listed like a sprained ankle. 

2 - This injury will be big for determining what Ioannidis really is. His career to date (leaning heavily on college) suggests the player we've seen isn't really who he is. Is this a case of the light going on and everything is different or has he been benefiting of being the interior lineman who other teams have done minimal planning for? We most often see this in corners (think Breeland or Amerson). They have a great rookie year only to regress in year 2. It's not that the player has gotten worse, but rather NFL coaches have a season of tape to look for weaknesses and when cross referencing why they weren't a first rounder they are actively creating a gameplan for that player.

Back to Ioannidis, his strength(s) were, well, strength. Very strong (top performer in bench press) and won most of the time with pure power. He's not a fat guy at all and most of his mass is muscle. When looking his successes this season he seems he's mainly winning with power and pushing the pocket. As a guard/center facing power is a tricky thing. If you are ready for it and low you can typically hold your own. If you aren't by the time you want to get low it's too late and you are on roller skates. I'm how ready teams will be for his power and more importantly if there is some secondary pass rush moves which he can use once the OL starts expecting a bull rush. Philly will be a good test. They will be focusing on him as the interior pressure guy and their center, Jason Kelce, is undersized. He's a guy that needs to be prepared for power, so no doubt their OC and OL coach are in his ear prepping him for that. 

Reminds me of the San Antonio Spurs the year before they drafted Duncan.  They sucked that year not because they lacked talent, but because that talent (esp. the Admiral) got injured.  When they got their injureds backs + Duncan, the franchise took off.  Thing is, this, with the other injuries, may (being optimistic) prevent us from going to the paloffs, in which case I can see Kirk likely bolting.  So we may be in the running for a top 10 pick despite having a good team when everyone's healthy.  Sigh.  HTTR

Sad to lose Jonathan Allen for the rest of this season, but I'm happy that we're not pushing him to recover quickly.  I'm looking forward to his return in 2018-2019 season. 

So, Lanier will be active.  Who takes Allen's spot on the roster?  Do we call up Brandon Banks from the PS?  Do we sign Joey Mbu off the Colts practice squad (wouldn't it be good to poach one of their guys for once?).  I think A.J. Francis is still available.

I heard this on the radio and remembered the comments in the other thread and agreed that this is very serious.  Scary serious.  I'm bummed that he is missing the rest of the year, he was just starting to play really well. But I'm more worried about his future, and of course he just lost a year of development even if he does fully recover.

56 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Morgan Moses also had Lisfranc and he has come back nicely. Not sure what your point is. There are plenty of examples of both players coming back and not coming back. It's a case by case thing. Not something you can draw any inference from.

Allen is a strong minded guy with a great work ethic (not saying others were not, just talking about Allen.). If he can come back he will. I hope so. He is just such a great addition to the team.

I do agree it's good they are not rushing him back. Give him to rehab properly.

1)  Moses was put on IR with the injury?  Thomas didn't come back that season, it's often six to eight weeks even without surgery.   I'll go with an NFL Orthopedic Surgeon: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000281549/article/nfl-orthopedic-surgeon-lisfranc-foot-ailment-is-bizarre-injury

1b)  If you interpreted what I said as career-ending as opposed to season-ending, then I can see where we disagree.

2)  Totally agreed about Allen's work ethic.  He knows what it's like to drop more than a dozen spots simply due to the possibility of a shoulder injury, so I think he would work harder than most to get back as soon as possible.

Archived