ixcuincle

2017 - 18 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

Recommended Posts

Sorry for the old man rant (I'm 41)...

 

As exciting as that outside crowd shot is, it's so annoying that the second something monumental happens an entire generation fires up their phones to record themselves individually celebrating. It's almost like 50K parallel spectators rather than a crowd of people celebrating together. 

 

OK, sorry. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Co-signing this. It was awful trying to make your way through the crowd or finding a place to get a drink of water (with some modicum of speed) or even finding a place to sit. But my God, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

 

-The ear-splitting roar from the folks on 8th Street when those goals went in during the 2nd period.

-The tired, hungry, dehydrated fans coming to life at Fuel (where I finally found that place to sit) when the Caps went ahead in the 3rd 

-The absolute explosion of joy when the clock finally hit 0.0 and everyone saw Ovi lift the Stanley Cup over his head at last 

-The arena watch party contingency trickling out of the F Street exit

 

It's something I don't think I'll ever do again (I'm already getting too old for this ****) but I'm so glad I had a chance to do it. 

 

Washington is home to a champion again. Finally. 

We found a spot right by the curb perpendicular to the McDonalds entrance, probably like 150 or so feet away from McDonalds.

 

My one buddy went to go take a leak at McDonalds when the countdown timer to period 1 was at 67 minutes left.  I **** you not, he didn't make it back until there was like 10 minutes left in the first period.  It took him almost an hour and a half to take a piss.  Meanwhile my wife went to Legal Seafood to piss and she was back in like 20 minutes.

 

I literally held my piss from when I left my house at 5:15pm until about midnight at some pizza joint that had the grossest toilet I have ever seen in my life.  And I had 6 captain and cokes while watching the game, and we finished a 375ml of Fireball.  Every goal as passed it around for swigs.

 

I was pretty disappointed with all of the trash on the streets afterwards though.  It was one of the nastiest things I've ever seen.  

Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Sorry for the old man rant (I'm 41)...

 

As exciting as that outside crowd shot is, it's so annoying that the second something monumental happens an entire generation fires up their phones to record themselves individually celebrating. It's almost like 50K parallel spectators rather than a crowd of people celebrating together. 

 

OK, sorry. 

I had my phone out as the timer went down to 0, and I wasn't focusing on me.  I was focusing on the crowd and rowdiness of it all.  It's something I'll never forget.  But, I do agree with you too lol.  Just enjoy the moment.  But it was easy for me to do so because it's not like I was looking at my phone, I just held it up and panned it around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downtown was INSANE last night. NO other way to put it. I was down on 8th street at the end and it was packed all the way back out to H. So much jubilation and SO Loud. Every car that went by as people were walking back to the metro was *HONK HONK HONK*'ing, with everyone on the streets shouting out LETS GO CAPS. High fives and fist bumps from all sides with strangers embracing. Ovi and MVP chants going on. 

 

I'll also say that from my vantage point, other than some people climbing up on some posts, by and large I didn't see anyone being stupid in terms of destruction of property, climbing on cars, throwing bottles at buildings and such, which made me pretty happy for the town to be able to celebrate but not be...well...philly.

 

An absolutely unreal feeling and experience being down there amongst so many people for an AWAY game. It was a sea of red.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I had my phone out as the timer went down to 0, and I wasn't focusing on me.  I was focusing on the crowd and rowdiness of it all.  It's something I'll never forget.  But, I do agree with you too lol.  Just enjoy the moment.  But it was easy for me to do so because it's not like I was looking at my phone, I just held it up and panned it around.

No, I get that and I'm guilty, as a dad, of taking video of my kids playing their sports. So, I've seen some of my son's best hits through my stupid phone. I don't think there's anything wrong with it individually (we capture memories digitally now when we used to get autographs or collect memorabilia). 

 

It was just seeing everyone doing it at once that really struck me that it's almost an instinct now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

alot of stores are empty.  Only youth stuff at my local Dicks in Columbia.  Thank god some lady picked up Larges and returned them when she needed a small 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

man, **** the airline industry. colluding, price-gouging pieces of crap. about to drop 1k just to fly back for the parade, and its not even a holiday. its worth it to be there (who knows when it will happen again), but man, it used to be like 300 for the same flight 5 years ago

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mammajamma said:

man, **** the airline industry. colluding, price-gouging pieces of crap. about to drop 1k just to fly back for the parade, and its not even a holiday. its worth it to be there (who knows when it will happen again), but man, it used to be like 300 for the same flight 5 years ago

 

Well its supply and demand.  Airlines don't change flights based on events in certain cities.  they have a limited number of seats at each price point

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I ordered online. Got two tshirts and a hat.

 

I got a garden flag, pennant, and 2 shirts from the store.  I'm not sure about the Hat since its not a fitted hat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, skinfan2k said:

 

Well its supply and demand.  Airlines don't change flights based on events in certain cities.  they have a limited number of seats at each price point

well of course, im just saying prices for the same flights like 5 years ago (and for actual holidays like thanksgiving) used be to $500+ less

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mammajamma said:

well of course, im just saying prices for the same flights like 5 years ago (and for actual holidays like thanksgiving) used be to $500+ less

 

Agree.  That's why you need a CC with points. I cant remember the last time i paid for a flight.  It's been at least 5+ years.  At least 20+ trips have been for free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 1998 the first real hockey I ever watched living abroad was the Nagano games, which influenced my choice of an NHL team. Having said that, congrats guys. The Caps were head and shoulders better than everyone this post season and deserve every bit of their success. I can also admit it wouldn't have been right for a player as good as Ovechkin to go out without a cup. Cheers, see you next season. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, skinfan2k said:

 

Agree.  That's why you need a CC with points. I cant remember the last time i paid for a flight.  It's been at least 5+ years.  At least 20+ trips have been for free

i usually do use points as well, but i just spent all of them on 1st class for my honeymoon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mammajamma said:

i usually do use points as well, but i just spent all of them on 1st class for my honeymoon

ouch well at least that was worth it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was one of the lucky 16K that got tickets to be in capital One last night. I still really have no words to explain the joy I am feeling today. I knew going into the 3rd if we could tie it up we would win. I told my buddy next goal wins. He was already headed to game 6. When DSP scored the whole place went nuts. Then like 2 mins later Eller with the winner. It was like the boys could feel the energy DC was sending them. That was the longest 7 mins of my life. I have never been apart of something like that. Outside was just a mad house. I am very proud that CAPS fans didnt burn down DC. It was great I cant wait to for the parade. 

 

I just hope the Skins and Nats players see this and understand what a winning team does to this city!! Let GO CAPS!!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope someone has a photo of DSP in mid air shooting the puck taken from behind the net.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Wait.

 

Hold on.

 

Triple H shaved his head???

Years ago lol 

 

he’s a buff roided out corporate dad now 

IT

 

WASN’T

 

 

DREAM!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@purbeast - I may have passed by you (I was the guy with the D.C. flag tied to a bronze shower curtain).

 

I was actually trying to get into that McDonalds for a little something right before the end of the 2nd period but I couldn't get in. That's why I went over the Fuel on F Street. I was dehydrated as hell last night but I almost think it worked out for me because I don't where how I would've found a place to take a leak. 

 

Still wouldn't suggest it. When DSP scored the game tying goal, I shot right up out of my seat and thought I was going to pass out. That would have put a damper on the evening for sure. Been chugging water all day long today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Every car that went by as people were walking back to the metro was *HONK HONK HONK*'ing, with everyone on the streets shouting out LETS GO CAPS.

Went to the game 1 watch party.  

 

Before the game, there was a fire truck doing the honk honk honk thing.  That was pretty cool. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Columbus series seems so long ago...

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I hope someone has a photo of DSP in mid air shooting the puck taken from behind the net.

 

 

Best I could find...

 

CS6Ufwg.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still pumped! I'm stoked for all my hardcore puckhead friends and you cats that post in here on the regular!

 

CHAMPS!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I hope someone has a photo of DSP in mid air shooting the puck taken from behind the net.

 

 

Closest I could find....

 

devante-smith-pelly-game-5stanley-cup-fi

 

Edit: the one China posted above looks cooler...

Edited by Dan T.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.