Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you do for a living???

Renegade7

What do you do for a living?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do for a living? (Check even if self-employed)

• Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
    • Arts, Audio/Video Technology and Communications
    • Architecture and Construction
    • Business Management and Administration
    • Education and Training
    • Finance
    • Government and Public Administration
    • Health Science
    • Human Services
    • Information Technology
    • Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security
    • Manufacturing
    • Marketing, Sales and Service
    • Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
    • Transportation, Distribution and Logistics

1 hour ago, PCS said:

I wouldn't say I do is for a living,but it helps puts food on the table and helps with things around the house,(which down the ladder helps the boys with college). Currently back in retail working for that big orange store using 20 years of carpentry experience to TRY and help diyers and even "builders" do things at least close to right. ;)

I'd welcome your input on my soon-to-be-created thread "What should I do with my 20-year old unmaintained deck."

I was wondering if Habitat for Humanity do work in my zip code.

9 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

I'd welcome you input on my soon-to-be-created thread "What should I do with my 20-year old unmaintained deck."

1  tear it down

2  build new

3  use Ipe this time you cheap ****.  Spend some of that tech money youre hoarding

9 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

I'd welcome you input on my soon-to-be-created thread "What should I do with my 20-year old unmaintained deck."

in my case... we ignored it for another 20 years.   (but it was originally built with old-growth Redwood, so it was REALLY durable!)   

once it was an un-maintained for 40 years deck, we tore it down and had it replaced with a half screened porch/ half deck (it is just getting finished now)

butt-expensive, but i think it will be very nice :)

2 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

I work in IT as sort of an architect, but I still do a lot of troubleshooting of our applications and I like that. 

And no, I can't fix your PC or get your home wifi to work. 

How about helping get my old wireless printer to connect to a new router?  It is like the company that made the printer never realized somebody might replace their router and end up with a wireless network with a new name.

I teach biochemistry (and all the other things that come with a job at academia (maintaining a dept web page, try and get a little research done, etc)).

27 minutes ago, zoony said:

1  tear it down

2  build new

3  use Ipe this time you cheap ****.  Spend some of that tech money youre hoarding

Not interested in spending big bucks on a deck I'll never use.

I'll try sanding the **** out of it and replacing the worst boards. If that doesn't give me something serviceable, I'd demo it and have a patio. The deck is on only 3 feet off the ground.

And yeah ... I actually get more pleasure from reading my Vanguard statement than sitting on the deck.

18 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

in my case... we ignored it for another 20 years.  

To be clear, I've ignored the deck for 20 years. I don't know how long the previous owner ignored it.

6 hours ago, dfitzo53 said:

What a coincidence, I've been supporting the food and beverage industry for almost 35 years!

I'm a middle school math teacher at a K-8 charter school. 

My wife is a retired Middle School Math Teacher.

I am a shipping supervisor for a machine parts manufacturer.

the job i get paid for is as an economist for a development bank.

we finance/insure/guarantee US investors in development focused projects in poor countries.

I mostly analyze country level macro risk, and portfolio-wide risk correlation.   

<some people call that butthurt whining, too... >  

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

Not interested in spending big bucks on a deck I'll never use.

I'll try sanding the **** out of it and replacing the worst boards. If that doesn't give me something serviceable, I'd demo it and have a patio. The deck is on only 3 feet off the ground.

And yeah ... I actually get more pleasure from reading my Vanguard statement than sitting on the deck.

To be clear, I've ignored the deck for 20 years. I don't know how long the previous owner ignored it.

I tore my deck out and poured a concrete slab.  Best back porch ever

We do have a deck with a screened in porch but it is low maintenance because the weather never hits it.

Also, im sure your kids will have a blast spending all your Vanguard money

2 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

the job i get paid for is as an economist for a development bank.

we finance/insure/guarantee US investors in development focused projects in poor countries.

I mostly analyze country level macro risk, and portfolio-wide risk correlation.   

<some people call that butthurt whining, too... >  

Im going to open a jewelry store in downtown Mogadishu specializing in gold, diamonds, and firearms.  I am going to save money by handling securiity and insurance by myself.  But, i need capital for inventory, what kind of terms can you give me?

7 minutes ago, zoony said:

Im going to open a jewelry store in downtown Mogadishu specializing in gold, diamonds, and firearms.  I am going to save money by handling securiity and insurance by myself.  But, i need capital for inventory, what kind of terms can you give me?

we will have to refer you to our non-affiliated mogadishu loan office

make landfall on the beach to the left of the fish market (i suggest 6:30 am... the ratio of fishermen to pirates is the highest)

turn left at the big dead Boab tree.   7th tent on the left - next to the cellphone repair dude.  if you see the RPG seller, you went too far.

16 minutes ago, codeorama said:

My son says he wants to be an Architect.  What's involved. What's your average day like? What was college like?

Its pretty busy. I work at a smaller business so we're leaner and more efficient but it also means more work per person. I enjoy it though, because I'm not really micromanaged all that much and as long as I get my work done the boss(es) are off my back. We do mostly commercial architecture which from what I gather tends to be busier than residential(commercial is basically work for other businesses, residential is of course designing houses that kinda thing).

I spend most of my day on AUTOCAD. Occasionally deal with clients but that's usually the job of the boss(es)(I work for a partnership so I have two).

Short answer is I'm a stay-at-home dad.  

Wife made far more money than I made as a lowly map analyst, so I've been working part time gigs since - pizza delivery, and now proctoring at a College.  Kids are old enough that I'm looking into (likely elementary?) teacher certification.

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

I work in academia as a neuroscientist, minus the teaching part (used to). I study how the brain grows and functions at the same time. For the nerds of this board: I study synaptic remodeling during development.

Ooh, I'd love your input on this one then... heard a piece on NPR a while back about  the changes in the brain function of lab mice (rats?) when older ones were injected with younger mouse blood (and vice versa).  Started getting images of old, rich ****ers taking blood from kids.  

My 9-5 is a Software Engineer. I work at a bar on the weekends for some extra money.

Landlord of a duplex 2nd home.

Investing in Index Funds / ETFs and dabbling in P2P lending a bit as an additional passive income stream.

30 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Ooh, I'd love your input on this one then... heard a piece on NPR a while back about  the changes in the brain function of lab mice (rats?) when older ones were injected with younger mouse blood (and vice versa).  Started getting images of old, rich ****ers taking blood from kids.  

Blood hell,Head transplants.....take the body

Archived