Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you do for a living???

Renegade7

What do you do for a living?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do for a living? (Check even if self-employed)

• Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
    • Arts, Audio/Video Technology and Communications
    • Architecture and Construction
    • Business Management and Administration
    • Education and Training
    • Finance
    • Government and Public Administration
    • Health Science
    • Human Services
    • Information Technology
    • Law, Public Safety, Corrections and Security
    • Manufacturing
    • Marketing, Sales and Service
    • Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics
    • Transportation, Distribution and Logistics

On 5/3/2017 at 4:35 AM, twa said:

I own and run a collision and restoration center, or it owns me.

used to be called a body shop before greasemonkies decided to be called technicians :kickcan:

Ah, memories. May have mentioned this before, but I grew up spending a great deal of my youth hanging out in---and later working at, from age 13 to 17 as a jr. high dropout---my uncle & aunt's "body shop" in anchorage (late 50's thru late 60's, age 5-16). One of my formative experiences.  Interesting place. Also had a row of apts. above the very large body shop and they lived in one and managed the others.

My uncle was a serious bigot/racist among other things, yet a lot of their renters/workers over the years included diverse military (ft. rich & elmendorf on my neighborhood's doorstep) personnel and hippies and NA's etc. It had a full mechanics shop too (business was named "body and fender repair" which i always thought was weird---the fender is part of the car's body, right? i asked at age 6 and was told to shut up).

I learned much about people (esp some  of the more common and colorful male adult traits in our cultural context) in that space, hanging around the coffee pot and soaking it all in. This is when I started to accept my origin as likely being alien to this planet, and left with the task to "pass" as best as possible.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:17 AM, Kilmer17 said:

In my free time I own an insurance agency

And you have the gall to make lawyer jokes. :P

On 5/3/2017 at 9:54 AM, Vilandil Tasardur said:

I'm an academic; I study fossil whales to try to crack the mysteries surrounding their major evolutionary transitions. 

You will be one of the ones I save. B)

On 5/3/2017 at 10:56 AM, zoony said:

Im going to open a jewelry store in downtown Mogadishu specializing in gold, diamonds, and firearms.  I am going to save money by handling securiity and insurance by myself.  But, i need capital for inventory, what kind of terms can you give me?

No money for you, but I may be of assistance otherwise.  I have long considered spending my final years in a foreign locale. You know I enjoy diverse experiences and have successfully navigated some that may qualify me to be your store clerk. I supply all my own knives and ammo. Not wealthy, just fussy. Would insist on a yogurt machine, however.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:24 PM, JCB said:

Another academic here.Historian of religion, specializing in religion and politics in the U.S. Keeps my blood pressure nice and low. :)

Do you do any research/teaching on Middle Eastern religions/religious history? I'm just an amateur, but have plowed my way through about a hundred or so books on the Middle East/ Ancient Near East, with a particular interest in theological developments.

14 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Do you do any research/teaching on Middle Eastern religions/religious history? I'm just an amateur, but have plowed my way through about a hundred or so books on the Middle East/ Ancient Near East, with a particular interest in theological developments.

Very little, other than the basics in an Intro to Religion course. But of course I'm interested, and my colleagues always hip me to good readings.

Hard not to be compelled by the subject, which is I think how I got into this gig back in the day.

On 5/3/2017 at 11:04 AM, StillUnknown said:

Counselor at a home for individuals with intellectual disabilities 

This prepares you well for ES, I assume. :P

On 5/3/2017 at 2:13 PM, Warhead36 said:

Its pretty busy. I work at a smaller business so we're leaner and more efficient but it also means more work per person. I enjoy it though, because I'm not really micromanaged all that much and as long as I get my work done the boss(es) are off my back. We do mostly commercial architecture which from what I gather tends to be busier than residential(commercial is basically work for other businesses, residential is of course designing houses that kinda thing).

I spend most of my day on AUTOCAD. Occasionally deal with clients but that's usually the job of the boss(es)(I work for a partnership so I have two).

Do you have anything you're designed that you can share?  Architecture is really cool.  

On 5/3/2017 at 5:29 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I drink and I know things. That's what I do. 

And i probably spent too much time in another thread recently

Shame.  Shame.  Shame.  

------------------------------------------------

I'm a director in an accounting and finance consulting firm that specializes in support of financial transactions, like mergers, acquisitions, IPOs, etc.  I was a conducting major in college.  Try and draw that career path line.  I dare you.  I double dare you.  

In-house counsel for a trade contractor (construction industry).  Pretty interesting, and life is much better since I left private practice.

The labor shortage is VERY real, and getting worse.  

I protect government information for a large Federal agency.  In a nutshell, when you see government documents released and half of them have gigantic black marks obscuring half the stuff on the page...I'm that guy.

On another note, I always thought this "redacting" thing would be a great premise for a WWE character...."I'm going to black out your existence..." and so on.

I manage 3rd party subpoena processing for one of the big banks.

If a mortgage customer is involved in any type of litigation, investigation, etc. with their financial records being sought through a subpoena, my group fulfills it.  While it can certainly be boring, we have our interesting days.  Every mass shooter has had a subpoena come through my group whether they had an account/mortgage or not.  Not to mention the high profile celebrities/athletes etc. we receive often as well. 

Archived