Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

I'd take a 1 year rental in Jamal Charles vs Cook. I've been down on Cook all year, to me, just isn't gonna translate to NFL game and he seemed to have worse year than last year.

I would continue to go 4th round RB, Foreman or Gallman maybe, with extra pick we have. 

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

Dalvin Cook looked great in college and bombed the combine. Not sure about him at all and at 17 we need someone more sure of. Heard last night on a podcast that he's now ranked at the 4th best RB in the class behind Mixon, McCaffery, and Fournette. His stocks really fallen lately. Bad combines tend to do that

if that is the case and the way RB position is valued now, I say he can easily fall to us in the 2nd round.

My own issues with this offseason we've yet to address

1) 200+ passing targets have to be replaced now and that's not only going to come from Terrell Pryor. We need another outside receiver. Thinking that Doctson is the answer may likely come back and bite us in the butt. Pryor isn't enough for us to replace what we lost and think we missed several good opportunities to add here already. We need to add more to this group 

Your point has merit. Doctson is completely unproven and if he sucks or is injured again, there's not really a great back up plan (unless the team ends up taking another WR high in the draft). But, by the same token, there's not much talent left in the remaining free agent options. Besides, very few teams have that much depth at WR. Last year the Redskins arguably had the deepest talent pool in the league (though Doctson being hurt thinned that out some). This team still has Pryor, Crowder, and Reed without any other significant additions sans Doctson. If I had my druthers, I'd grab Cordarelle Patterson too. It's still to be be determined if he's any good. He's young and still fairly raw, but you might be able to grow him into a Ted Ginn type. And in the mean time, he's still a useful returns guy that can be used occasionally on other plays.

2) While we wait and watch the RB values of these FA vets fall daily, at some point we need to improve this area on our team. We skipped doing that last year and we would be foolish to do that again. Based on our FA moves it looks to me more and more that an offensive guy will be picked in round one this year since everyone in FA is coming to the Defense. I think that's a mistake unless we are targeting a QB there. I am not okay with drafting a RB in the first round and the WR's in this class aren't very good. Why I think drafting a RB this year in the first round would be a mistake is that we don't utilize an offense that rushes all that often. Last years numbers of rushing attempts are deceiving, because while the attempts were high I do expect a major drop off from the passing game this year from last. How can it not drop off when we just lost our #1 and #2 receivers and over 200 passing targets? Without those chain movers in the fold we won't be as effective as an offense and will not have the opportunities to run as much as we did last year. To me we need to put the draft resources on the Defense, which means adding a RB must come from free agency. The RB position in FA will not be as plentiful as it is today in the coming weeks so since there is a lot of supply and not a lot of demand contracts should come cheaper. I'd like to see movement on this

I think the team will address RB in some fashion. But the free agent market has been uber quiet so far for running backs, so nothing's really happening. I'd think a guy like Peterson or Charles would actually want to target Washington, since there's a plausible starting spot to grab (unlike most teams where's there's already at least one guy in place). The draft is another option. We might have to wait post draft for things to shake out a little bit.

But I doubt there's and specific focus on offense in the draft. There's no real reason to believe that to be true. While the team has signed more defensive guys (3) than offensive (1), it lost more offensive guys (2) than on defense (1). So it's a net gain of one more defensive guy. But that by no means fixes a poor unit. Outside of running back, LG, or another WR, the team has very few offensive needs. I suspect that a defensive player is most likely right now. But it also depends on who falls to the pick.

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

But I doubt there's and specific focus on offense in the draft. There's no real reason to believe that to be true. While the team has signed more defensive guys (3) than offensive (1), it lost more offensive guys (2) than on defense (1). So it's a net gain of one more defensive guy. But that by no means fixes a poor unit. Outside of running back, LG, or another WR, the team has very few offensive needs. I suspect that a defensive player is most likely right now. But it also depends on who falls to the pick.

Please God let it be a stud DT or NT to put in the middle of the line and disrupt the hell out of the opposing offensive line by collapsing the pocket.  I got so frustrated last year watching QBs just slide step up in the pocket and buy themselves an extra 2 seconds to find the check down (usually wide-freakin' open). 

Well, I love what I'm seeing and hearing about Pryor. I was against his signing due to all of the Hartline-type reviews about his character issues, but so far so good.

I'd really like to sign Logan or Hankins, Patterson, and Zach Brown. Not sure what's going on with Brown, haven't heard him tied to the Skins, but would love him here. 

Our D was so bad last year that major upgrades were needed and unfortunately I don't think we've done nearly enough yet to warrant much optimism in that department. I say "yet" because I realize that there are plenty of FAs available and then there's the draft. But, so far I'm getting the same feeling I got last year that we're just not make the obvious, necessary upgrades.

Cordarrelle Patterson is a trash receiver. Why in the world anyone wants him is mind boggling -- the only rational explanation is that no one's actually seen him play. He averages 8.7 yards per reception, which is essentially Ryan Grant. He can't get off the line, he's a terrible route runner, he doesn't make plays on the ball, he can't make reads. He made 2 plays downfield all of last year. 0 the year before. The dude doesn't even return punts.

8 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Cordarrelle Patterson is a trash receiver. Why in the world anyone wants him is mind boggling -- the only rational explanation is that no one's actually seen him play. He averages 8.7 yards per reception, which is essentially Ryan Grant. He can't get off the line, he's a terrible route runner, he doesn't make plays on the ball, he can't make reads. He made 2 plays downfield all of last year. 0 the year before. The dude doesn't even return punts.

Yeah the hard-ons around here for him are mind-boggling.  He can return a kickoff pretty well, but why on earth would you want us to spend the kind of cap money it would take to get him just to get a decent KO returner? I hope we pass and spend our money elsewhere.

2 hours ago, TheGreek1973 said:

if that is the case and the way RB position is valued now, I say he can easily fall to us in the 2nd round.

Sure he can fall to us, questioning if we should be drafting him in the first place. Rather just spend 3 million get Lacy or Charles this year to do 1-2 with Kelley and use the picks on Defense

2 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

Yeah the hard-ons around here for him are mind-boggling.  He can return a kickoff pretty well, but why on earth would you want us to spend the kind of cap money it would take to get him just to get a decent KO returner? I hope we pass and spend our money elsewhere.

We're talking $1M/yr. For a KR/PR upgrade, I don't see how anyone would disagree with this being money well spent.

Archived