Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B/R: Losing Culture Is Changing

CBass1724

This is actually a positive article about the 'Skins that I thought everyone would enjoy reading.  This team definitely has a different feel for me, but in a better way than before.  We are headed the right direction for sure.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2577478-losing-culture-is-changing-for-the-washington-redskins

There's something different happening at Redskins Park this season. If you've been following the Burgundy and Gold for years, you can be forgiven for not spotting the signs.

Players are playing based on merit, not reputation. There's also a rookie-heavy feel to the roster, with several young players making key contributions.

It's only been four games, and they don't even have a winning record, but the 2015 Washington Redskins are in danger of actually functioning more like a competent NFL franchise should.

Frankly, it's a long-overdue change of culture.

Click the link for article.

It will prompt the "way too early" replies, and that's a fair response. It is too early. But I think I see solid signs of progress, and have been for about a year. It has been slow, painful, and not steady, but it is gaining ground and ramping up. My objective and pragmatic take is that this week should be a setback, and maybe a big one. 

And I expect to see the board revert to more like after the Giants game. 

It's a little early but that article makes light of the good things that are happening and how it's slowly changing the culture of this team.  Got a long way to though.  The damage that's been done over the years will not be undone in one season.  I have a realistic outlook for the team this year -- it's not so much about wins and losses as much as seeing the team compete at a high level each week and bringing it every game. 

The Redskins are actually fielding a competitive squad while in the middle of rebuilding.  It's the best of both worlds, really.  I'm impressed with the progress being made even though the previous 15+ years of awfulness won't be erased from memory.  I fully expect the negative Nancy's to be out in full force, which is totally cool.  They can be bitter and angry if they'd like.  I'll just sit here and enjoy the ride because good things are happening here in Washington.  And by good things, I mean finally fielding a competitive team and developing young players.

PS: Happy 1,000th post to me! :D

I'm not even worried about the competitiveness to be honest (although, obviously I'm enjoying it). I'm more excited to see the players being held accountable regardless of their status (veteran, or young guy; minimum salary, or mulit-million $ contract).  That has been well overdue.

I notice the change the most in regards to our back ups.  we've been hit by injuries harder this season than any in recent memory.  At least from my perspective, there isn't the same sense of over reliance on our starters and trying to simply "tread water" until our first team can return and save the day.  

The reality was that several of our starters weren't that good.  The open competition that this coaching staff has brought in has eliminated a lot of the mystery surrounding how much of a drop off there actually is between our first string guys and the ones backing them up.  

We as fans had to assume that the players pencilled in during preseason represented the best this team had to offer.  I'd argue that with very few exceptions, the injuries to some of our starters has been a blessing in disguise and has made us a better overall team through 4 weeks by forcing the whole locker room to buy into the "next man up" mentality.  

The fact that we've won half of our games using a bunch of supposed "backups" and rookies means that both fans and players can begin to have confidence in the system the coaching staff is building, rather than just hoping for the talents of individual players to carry the rest of the team to victory.

I am reminded of a piece I just saw on the Daily Show about the AP using computer generated new stories. You can pretty much cut and paste this same story every few years.

Schotferbrains is cutting Jeff George because he wants players held accountable. Finally Daniel S has learned and is letting a football guy run things and establish a winning culture.

Spurrier is finally bringing excitement back to the Skins offense. The victory against the Patriots shows the Evil Genius knows how to win in the NFL.

Gibbs benching Arrington show that players will be held accountable and.....Yada Yada.

Zorn's victories over division rivals have some people pointing to Jason Campbell as a possible MVP candidate.

The benching of Donovan McGnat show that Shamahan is holding his players accountable and finally instilling a culture change around Redskins park....

I am reminded of a piece I just saw on the Daily Show about the AP using computer generated new stories. You can pretty much cut and paste this same story every few years.

I hear you but there are two differences. 

1.  Scot McCloughan is a legit GM.  We know that from all the contributions coming from his draft.

2.  With tix going so cheap in Fed Ex Dan needs a winner.  He has to let the football people run things.  At least until the revenue spikes up again at which point he very well could go back to firing up Redskins 1 and playing fantasy football again.

For now, I'm very encouraged. 

Hey, I LOVE the Scot McC hire - can't believe it took our owner 15 <STAFF EDIT, DONT CIRCUMVENT PROFANITY FILTER> years to realize we needed a real GM. I agree that long term (assuming sobriety issues don't resurface) the outlook is tje best it's been.

Short term I am far less enthused. I don't think any of the QBs on our roster will be here next year, and outside of Callahan we still have too much of the post-McKay Tampa Bay infestation laying waste to what we put out on the field.

Hey, I LOVE the Scot McC hire - can't believe it took our owner 15 circumvention of profanity filter years to realize we needed a real GM. I agree that long term (assuming sobriety issues don't resurface) the outlook is tje best it's been.

Short term I am far less enthused. I don't think any of the QBs on our roster will be here next year, and outside of Callahan we still have too much of the post-McKay Tampa Bay infestation laying waste to what we put out on the field.

Riggo, don't circumvent the profanity filter. I edited it out for you since I'm on my phone and it's annoying to warn/penalize, so consider yourself lucky you timed it well, lol. ;)

So many conflicting feelings on this article.

It's way too early to say the culture has changed.

But it does seem a little different than the past few years.

But it's also Bleacher Report.

But even a stopped clock is right twice a day!

Eh, I'll take it.  I do think Scot has changed things somewhat, though we won't fully see the changes for a bit.  There are no favorites, there are no head games or metaphorical games being played.  Or at least it seems that way, which is great so far.

It's certainly changing. The players seem to care more from what I've seen and with the exception of the Giants loss we've been in every game. It's going to take some time but just from the stand point of this topic things seem to have change for the better.

I realize its important to start off strong to set yourself up for the playoff push, and would be very pleased if the Skins were at least  .500 at the halfway point, even though I wouldn't be surprised to see 3-5 at this point.  However, at the risk of getting ahead of things, I'm really curious to see how this team does in the second half of this season.  I hate to say "with the exception of" when bringing up stats, but take out the magical RG3-led 2012, and the Skins are a combined 9-39 in the second half of seasons post-Gibbs 2.  That is stunning.

I realize its important to start off strong to set yourself up for the playoff push, and would be very pleased if the Skins were at least  .500 at the halfway point, even though I wouldn't be surprised to see 3-5 at this point.  However, at the risk of getting ahead of things, I'm really curious to see how this team does in the second half of this season.  I hate to say "with the exception of" when bringing up stats, but take out the magical RG3-led 2012, and the Skins are a combined 9-39 in the second half of seasons post-Gibbs 2.  That is stunning.

Even with the magical run of 2012, we are 16-40...

I will say this, we are looking better. We are more competitive this year than last--we lost 5 games by 20+ points in 2014. We aren't just giving lipservice to playing the best player--in fact, they're not saying anything at all about it. When was the last time you've heard anyone say "best players play!" or whatever sound-good sound bite there is. They're just doing it--with as little fanfare as possible. Rookies are looking good this year. There is a lot to point to.

However, it is still early. We aren't going to finish .500. But, we will be competitive, and "I know this, when you play the Redskins this year, you’re going to know you played us. You’re going to feel us from the standpoint of being physical. The next morning, you’re going to be sore. We’re not going to win every game, but I tell you what, we’re going to compete no matter what. We’re going get after you and we’ll not back down from anything."

I'm not going to totally give up on .500 unless we screw the next four games, including Tampa.

I can just see the next couple of years as being ones like the late 90s under Norv where this team will have you shooting for the moon one week and then driving you crazy the next.  And then we'll have to see if they can take the next step toward consistent contender, rather than stuck in mediocrity as the Skins were then.

​you guys remember the 2012 season?  We look competitive then also but still we were seating at 3-6 with the coaching staff saying time to evaluate players for next year.

This year I feel we have more of a balance team, at least on the D side, even though the D in 2012 started to play lights out.  Also by comparison, the NFC East was a little more competitive in 2012 than now IMO.  You never know how the season will play out.  One game at a time.

The commitment to physical play and drafting of an OL in the first round, the commitment to run and yes benching Griffin.  I won't be happy until he is cut but at least he is inactive.  Playing guys who can play not those who feel entitled to play is vital. 

I just dont understand this mindset. He is not doing any harm whatsoever sitting on the bench or being inactive. Why does he HAVE to be cut for you to be happy? And to go a step further, why is everything with you about Cousins vs Griffin?

The commitment to physical play and drafting of an OL in the first round, the commitment to run and yes benching Griffin.  I won't be happy until he is cut but at least he is inactive.  Playing guys who can play not those who feel entitled to play is vital. 

Didn't realize Griffin felt entitled to play. 

At any rate, finally fielding an apparently competitive OL is mind-blowing to me; I actually see actual pockets--pockets-- form on pass plays, and on a regular basis.  We finally have someone in charge who gets the value of a dominant OL.  We have some young talent who is only going to get better.  And we are incredibly fortunate to have gotten Callahan into our building. This spearheads the huge change in direction I think we've needed for a very long time, and is what currently excites me about this team.

I am reminded of a piece I just saw on the Daily Show about the AP using computer generated new stories. You can pretty much cut and paste this same story every few years....

Yeah, pretty much lol...when we beat the Giants in 2011 and then started the season 2-0, there were stories about the "culture change" Shanahan was instilling, how competition and accountability were being brought back to the Redskins...some reporter wrote about how Cooley's expression in the locker room after the Giants game showed a seriousness that was noticeable with the entire team...guys were coming in on their day off to study film...and we all swore things were finally different now that Vinny was gone a whole year.

I'm sticking to my original plan of waiting until at least week 10 before I start drawing conclusions about the team, accountability and change in culture.

I'm sticking to my original plan of waiting until at least week 10 before I start drawing conclusions about the team, accountability and change in culture.

I agree in that this isn't the first rodeo of people singing the song of now its all different and a new culture is upon us.  And I generally agree with lets see a bigger sample size before buying in.  The one thing I say though is majorly different now then lets say the Shanny era you referred to.  Really every variation of Danny's FO including the Shanny years were screwed up in the sense that they were using models that were proven failures versus successes.  Shanny was ultimately chased out of Denver in large part because of his GM role.  So we bring him here and expect it to be different?   The coach as GM model is broken.

Not only is Scott a proven success but the blue print he laid out is already coming to life.  Even if the season goes south, looks like he's building a foundation that is consistent with his philosophy and so far it looks like he pulled both a good FA and draft -- that IMO is a novelty with this organization.

Archived