Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B/R: Losing Culture Is Changing

CBass1724

I remember seeing an article or post about how when a team goes through a transformation, into a tough smashmouth team, it takes a major toll down the stretch.

So while this team is improving and there is an obvious culture change, I won't be shocked if we putter out around week 12.

I agree in that this isn't the first rodeo of people singing the song of now its all different and a new culture is upon us. And I generally agree with lets see a bigger sample size before buying in. The one thing I say though is majorly different now then lets say the Shanny era you referred to. Really every variation of Danny's FO including the Shanny years were screwed up in the sense that they were using models that were proven failures versus successes. Shanny was ultimately chased out of Denver in large part because of his GM role. So we bring him here and expect it to be different? The coach as GM model is broken.

Not only is Scott a proven success but the blue print he laid out is already coming to life. Even if the season goes south, looks like he's building a foundation that is consistent with his philosophy and so far it looks like he pulled both a good FA and draft -- that IMO is a novelty with this organization.

I tend to agree, which is why I have optimism that this time the feel-good fluff articles will end up baring fruit...although maybe not until next year. It all may still end up going south this season lol...

So far everything I expected to happen this season has indeed happened, with the exception of some of the rookies performing better and earlier than I thought.

Nothing has changed except we have a few nice young players.

Then everything has changed.

Unless we'd like to continue all the years of bringing in other team's good young players after they're done being good and young.

(and paying them ungodly amounts of money that precludes us from retaining any good young players we happened to stumble across ourselves...   aww who am i kidding,, the 'good young players' we managed to cultivate over the last 15 years or so are, as you say, "few".)

Where do you think it starts?

Do we just wake up one day as a contender?

~Bang

We're even competitive against the powerhouse teams.  If you told me before the game that we'd have an OT finish, I'd have taken that in a heartbeat.  We're still a flawed club, but we've had guys step up and fill in nicely.  Even if we had all of our starting DB's healthy this whole season, I think all of us would gladly accept the results we've gotten from the mash unit of DB's currently playing.

We have some things to fix, but damn it's nice to know we're going to be in the majority of the games this season.  We're only 2 plays away from being 4-1, so color me optimistic.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Mr. Clutch - Dustin Hopkins?  Sure, he missed the one field goal (his first of the season) but when the game was on the line, he absolutely drilled a 52 yard field goal - there was never any doubt as soon as it left his foot.  If I'm the Falcons, I have some concerns about Matt Bryant.  He missed a few "chip shots" by most kickers' standards.

This jets game is huge. playing a nasty D at home off a big, heart breaking loss. 

Last few years skins implode right around this time ... if they can pull this off it will go a long way for us to believe this team is different. then we play Tampa, we could be sitting at at 4-3 when we play the Pats. 

On similar note:

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/redskinsblog/el-bashir-evidence-growing-culture-changing-redskins?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

EL-BASHIR: Evidence mounting that culture is changing for Redskins

Ten minutes after Sunday’s gut-wrenching 25-19 overtime loss to the Falcons, the visitors’ locker room underneath the Georgia Dome was virtually silent. Some Redskins sat motionless, staring blankly ahead. A few slowly unwrapped tape from their wrists and ankles. Others talked among themselves in hushed tones, lamenting the opportunity they had just allowed to slip.

They were crushed. They were disappointed. They were angry.

And, if you’re a Redskins fan, that should make you smile.

Because the mood hasn’t always been so solemn in Washington’s locker room following a tough loss. Do you remember the reports last October about the “jocularity” in the locker room after the Redskins fell to the defending champion Seahawks, 27-17, on Monday Night Football? I’m not really interested in revisiting that touchy subject—players and coaches later insisted that the postgame laughter was exaggerated—but I can tell you that I was present after both contests. And I can also tell you this: the vibe Sunday was very different, as were the words the players and coaches used to describe the defeat.

<edit>

Knighton knows a little about leadership as well as a winning culture. In his two seasons in Denver, ‘Pot Roast’ watched Peyton Manning lead the Broncos to 13-win and 12-win campaigns. Knighton has also instituted an unofficial ban on locker room discussion about how things were done in Washington in the past. Because this, as he often says, is a different team that last year's four-win outfit.  

Goldson, on the other hand, was elected by his teammates as captain of the defense after just a few months at Redskins Park. He’s a pro’s pro. And, like Knighton, he’s been exposed to a winning atmosphere. He’s played for conference championships. He’s played in a Super Bowl. I learned a lot about his Goldson’s thought process earlier this season when I asked him if an opposing offense “worried” him. He shot me a stern glance. “Worried?” he asked, taking umbrage with my choice of words.

Culliver, meanwhile, has edge about him. The same way Pierre Garcon has an edge about him. Culliver plays hard. He practices hard. He expects a lot from himself. Against the Eagles, he competed on one leg, hobbled by a knee injury that didn’t allow him to practice the previous few days. Sure, he got burned a couple of times. But toughness like that does not go overlooked by your teammates.  

This thread seems a tab bit premature now doesnt it....i wish it wasnt though...hopefully players come back after the bye and we can put up some wins, although coming out of the bye in new england doesnt bode well for that to happen

I don't think you can say it's premature until you see how the season plays out..

The team is still showing fight.

Even if they are still losing, you can tell they are not okay with it. This was not a "we surrender" loss (had lead at halftime, not getting blown out from the first whistle). This was one of those too much to overcome loses you come accept when you're doing a true rebuild.

I don't think it really has anything to do with culture.  The team isn't just that good.  With Jackson out, other than MAYBE Trent, there is nobody on the team that is one of the best in his league at their position.  There is nobody that you look at and say, that's a guy that we have to really worry about.

Nah, the losing culture is still there. Thinking at the time this thread was created, we had just lost a close game to Atlanta and seem to be playing pretty good. 

After today we see we have a long way to go. Still think there is hope for the future if we finish 6-10. If we don't then I think we will look at another oft-season of wondering who they will hire as Coach and who will play Qb.

Archived