Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B/R: Losing Culture Is Changing

CBass1724

I haven't posted in a while but I am sorry but I disagree with the OP on this. Nothing has really changed with the Redskins.I have been a fan for over 45 years but nothing has changed. Yes are Defense looks better and we have played well. But this team , like teams over the last 15 or so years keep shooting themselves in the foot. We are in top 5 in penalties, we can't tackle very well, and 3 and 15 for the other team is as easy as a QB sneak. We can't let journeyman QB's beat us or run for TD's. These look like Tom Brady when they play the Redskins. We played the Jets and took the ball away 3 times from them and still lost. We have guys knocking our own guys off and looking like the Three Stooges. Until these guys stop making false starts, hitting someone out of bounds or late, and start tackling the culture of losing will continue. We have lost to the Jets and the Falcons in back to back weeks after creating 3 turnovers. Teams that turn the ball over three times in a game lose more times than they win. Good teams convert turnovers into TD's and not FG's. So until they correct their poor play and lack of discipline this team will continue to lose. We can't play Jacksonville every week.

Some of you are confusing "losing" football games with the "culture of losing.

We weren't going to be able to change 23 years of losing football in 6 games.

It's not about the scoreboard. It's about the intangeables. It's about players playing hard and giving an effort as opposed to collecting a paycheck. It's about guys being upset in the lockeroom when we lose and not laughing after a loss. It's about players being held accountable for their play and getting benched regardless of draft status and salary as opposed to going to the owner and crying to him about the coach while being his buddy.

Case in point. Team is getting blown out 34-13. Jeron Johnson, 1 guy brought in for his attitude by Scot, continues to play hard on STs with 4 minutes left in the game and blocks the punt, all the while not complaining when he is relagated to 3rd string when many thought he'd compete for the starting spot at SS.

I'm upset about losing games too. I really wish we could win. But it's going to take some time. It's going to take getting the right mix of players for the long haul. Scot has only had one offseason. Give him at least this offseason and maybe one more and I think you'll see a difference.

Again, don't confuse "losing football games on the scoreboard" with "culture of losing."

Bwahaha.    You have a losing culture until you stop losing on a consistent basis.   You is what your record says you is.   We are losers, but I hope for some players return and and we at least match last years record.  How sad is that to be longing for.   

You hope in your heart, but you know in your head.

I'm upset about losing games too.  I really wish we could win.  But it's going to take some time. It's going to take getting the right mix of players for the long haul. Scot has only had one offseason.  Give him at least this offseason and maybe one more and I think you'll see a difference.

Again, don't confuse "losing football games on the scoreboard" with "culture of losing." 

Playing off of this point, I think the culture of losing goes hand and hand with talent and lack thereof.  It's not IMO a big mystery why the "culture of losing" has gone on for what it seems like perpetuity -- just go through our drafts every year and FA corps.    You pile consistently bad to mediocre drafts year after year you get a consistently bad to mediocre team.   You reverse that and we likely see sunshine.  That process has started -- we are already seeing some of its fruits.  

Nah, the losing culture is still there. Thinking at the time this thread was created, we had just lost a close game to Atlanta and seem to be playing pretty good. 

After today we see we have a long way to go. Still think there is hope for the future if we finish 6-10. If we don't then I think we will look at another oft-season of wondering who they will hire as Coach and who will play Qb.

There's a huge difference between losing because of lack of talent and losing because you're not giving all the efforts you have.

That's what I asked for after last season. I wanted to see heart, passion, and football players on the field.

Guess what? That's what I'm seeing right now.

Losing culture is changing because guys are actually putting work and effort in every play and every game. We're losing because we just don't have enought talent and experience throughout the roster. We're not a team that loses because our guys just don't give a damn like we used to.

Bwahaha.    You have a losing culture until you stop losing on a consistent basis.   You is what your record says you is.   We are losers, but I hope for some players return and and we at least match last years record.  How sad is that to be longing for.   

So by your logic, you want losers back? That'll only produce losers.

Whoosh!  The first one that didn't read my post.  Yes, winning cures all. If it were that easy, I think we'd have done it by now. Again, there is a difference between losing "games" and "culture" of losing. Yes, our team sucks.  We all know that.  Thank you Bill Parcells.

Do you realize that the Giants sucked major ass for most of the 60s and 70s and had a "culture" of losing until one man showed up in the early 80s?  That would be Bill Parcells who took over the Giants in "1981."  They didn't win their first SB until "1986"  For those of you counting at home, that's FIVE years.

I agree with Wildbunny and pjf here. There is a change in culture happening right now.

What drives me crazy though is the "this team is learning to win" talk going on. Save that for later, when we are starting to win.

I think it could be more accurately stated as "this team is learning what it takes to win".

It's not far-fetched that Winston have a career game against the Skins.

This has the Titans 2014 game all over it.

Oh jeez, I had the general air of pessimism floating about, but I hadn't even thought about our usual propensity for making rookies look like All-Pros.

Well, it's another fork in the road.  We're at 2 good fork decisions (can decisively beat a team [Rams], and can pull off tough wins [Eagles]), and 4 bad ones (still can beat ourselves [Dolphins], still suck @Giants [Giants], still will often beat ourselves [Falcons], and still will lose big to teams we should play, at worst, heads up [Jets]).

This fork is the "Will we keep making rookie QBs look like amazing All-Pros" fork.  Hopefully we take the "nope" route, because the "yup" route pretty much means we're on pace for 2014 all over again...unfortunately.

This falcons game and the one after it will be telling.

Results are in.

It reminds me of a line from Zoro, (the one with Anthony Hopkins.)  Where Hopkins tells his young student, "You will fight bravely, and die quickly."

On a completely separate note, Antonio Bandaras has a great line, when asked if he knows how to use a sword, he says, "Pointy end goes into the other guy."  He promptly is disarmed by Hopkins.  

If we lose to the Bucs, as unlikely as that seems, the team will mail it in for the year.

That is one thing we have not been seeing this year is the team mailing it in. They have played with passion and heart every week. Hell last year they were just going through the motions every week. No jumping around after a big play on defense. Emotion was just lacking last year. So far this season the players have played hard. Doesnt mean we will win more games. But they are playing hard at least.

That is one thing we have not been seeing this year is the team mailing it in. They have played with passion and heart every week. Hell last year they were just going through the motions every week. No jumping around after a big play on defense. Emotion was just lacking last year. So far this season the players have played hard. Doesnt mean we will win more games. But they are playing hard at least.

outside of the 3rd quarter, we've been competitive the entire year. Most fans had us at 3-6 wins this year and then flip **** when we look like we'll go 6-10.

There's a huge difference between losing because of lack of talent and losing because you're not giving all the efforts you have.

That's what I asked for after last season. I wanted to see heart, passion, and football players on the field.

Guess what? That's what I'm seeing right now.

Losing culture is changing because guys are actually putting work and effort in every play and every game. We're losing because we just don't have enought talent and experience throughout the roster. We're not a team that loses because our guys just don't give a damn like we used to.

So by your logic, you want losers back? That'll only produce losers.

No!, but with what we have injured and talent wise, matching last years record will be an achievement.   We are just not there yet.  This is the first year in a long time that we at least took the right step.  Hell digging out of the RGIII hole with all the pics we gave up.

That being said this BS of moral victories is just an excuse.   Been hearing it since the days of post Gibbs 1.0.

I was going to start a new thread about what a win like this does for your team culture. But it belongs in here. This team has serious heart. There is no way we win that game today during either of the past 2 seasons. They wont quit. I have been critical of Gruden. But if we can win say 3 more games this season and Kirk continues to develop I want them both back next year. As I have been saying all season we are a team on the rise. The biggest comeback in team history doesnt happen with a bunch of losers on your team (players and coaches). We are not talented enough to win the Super Bowl or even a playoff game most likely. But we are heading in the right direction. Some continuity may be just what the doctor ordered.

I've said that the team this season might be like one of those Norv teams that would wow you one week and drive you crazy the next.  This game kind of reminded me of one in '98......we had started 0-7 but were getting it a little together and played the Cardinals at home. The first half was horrible, Skins were behind 31-6 and booed off the field.  In the second half the team staged a furious comeback, falling just short 45-42.  Still, one kind of got the same sense that we're getting this season, and even though we had some different actors (notably at QB) the next season, it paid off in a division title.

Archived