Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Patience Thread: McCloughan is going to need some time to rebuild

Boss_Hogg

I hope he takes the Ozzie Newsome (GM of the Baltimore Ravens) approach with the media and detaches from weekly interaction. It's the head coaches job to report ongoing team/player issues. I hope Scot sticks to the knitting of building the franchise and speaks to the media 4 or 5 times a year.

This is a good move. A little bit of a gamble but when's the last time we have had a proven talent evaluator as a GM? Charlie Casselry probably in 1999. That's a long time. Way too long. Synder has done something these last two years he's never done before. Hired an up and coming NFL coordinator with proven experience as a HC, and hired a proven talent evaluator as GM with control over the roster.

Maybe it will work we've tried everything else and it hasn't worked.

Patience?  I expect this team to suck every season.  So long as they don't find new and exciting ways to humiliate their own fans it's just more of the same.  He can have the full 4 years... because it's not like going in a different direction would change anything. 

Y'all can be patient all you want.  I'm gonna be over here in the corner gettin' wasted on this new batch of off season kool-aid. :)

In all seriousness, I think Skins fans are much more patient than given credit for.  If the fans see improvement, they'll buy in.  

Very interested to see who the DC is.  I think most reasonable fans wanted a FO change and a Haslett upgrade.  We could still get it. 

I haven't been this excited about my football team since my childhood hero, Joe Jackson Gibbs announced he was returning in 2004. For the first time since 1998, our team finally has a "football" guy making decisions. No more b-movie actors, party planners, or hybrid coach/GMs...we're finally doing it the right way!

Now with that being said, it's important to know that it's going to take some time (possibly years) before our team is competitive. This team has more questions than answers and it's going to require several good drafts to lay the foundation. 

It's not unfathomable to expect a 5 win season in 2015 and a 4 win season in 2016. We still don't know if Gruden can coach or if RGIII can figure it out. We have a fugly offensive line (save Trent Williams) an iffy TE situation, putrid safeties, and an old defensive line. 

My plea to the fans: Please be patient, things are going to work it. It may not be until 2017 or 2018 but things are going to work out. Keep the faith and enjoy watching the rebuild. 

HTTR

You are asking alot, LOL.

I view the hiring as step one, in a long process.   It's is going to take probably 3 drafts to build a solid team capable of contending year in and year out.  I fully expect us to suck in the interim.  I don't even look to win until 2017.

I fully expect Gruden and Griffin to eventually be gone from this team, not in 2015 but after that.

This year, we start getting the pieces. After the 2015, Scott can then assess and see where we need to go head coaching wise and QB wise. I fully expect us to eventually go in a different direction there.

Your request for patience really only applies to one person. The one person that matters.   DANIEL SNYDER.   Dan is the one that has to be patient.  Dan has to let Scott build the right way.  Dan is the one that has to endure probably a couple of more bad seasons. Dan is the one that will have to endure the inevitable coaching change for 2016. Dan is the one that will have to endure the eventual replacing of Robert Griffin III. Dan will have to endure us build the team the right way and not being big players in free agency.  No more sexy acquistions.  We go after the meat and potatoes first.

If Dan Snyder has really changed; then we have hope and a future. If not, then he will probably blow this all up in a couple of years.

49ers and Seahawks weren't as bad as we were, but they were far from contenders when McCloughan took over.

49ers went from bad (1st pick in 2006) to 3-straight NFC titles starting in 2011 ...

Seahawks went from pretty bad (6th pick in 2010) to Super Bowl Champs in 2014 (but playoffs in 2012 and 2013)

That's 2 to 5 years to build something here.

Also ... no ****ing about bizarre draft picks. If we are going BPA, expect trade-backs and players selected that might not fit the "NEED" you think we have. 

Thanks for the info, I confess he got me lost when he said that.

I liked when he talked about patience, I really hope someone will listen very carefully here.

As anybody tried to figure out with whom we may have a possibility to trade back ?

Posted this in another convo where it fit at the time, but really belongs here:

Patience here, really?

This may be one of the most self-contradicting, irrational, hypocritical, reactionary, (I prefer "emo-spazzy") bipolar populations one could hope for---I also note a broad absence of long term memory retention.   :P   :D

Posted this in another convo where it fit at the time, but really belongs here:

You know what's interesting is how rational every other fanboard is.

Here is analysis from the moderator (MODERATOR!!) of a very popular Steeler board following their loss to the Ravens. The language is his, not mine:

HC:  This was a typical Mike Dumblin playoff game.  **** preparation.  **** focus.  **** attention to detail.  Softee team play, complete with a timid, meek brand of defense.  And a rabid barrage of silly-assed, needless dead-ball penalties.   Ten penalties in all, with 8 enforced penalties for 114 yards.  Meanwhile, the Ravens were flagged for only 14 yards, showing the complete difference in focus and discipline.   It all points to the lack of discipline that permeates Dumblin’s country club.   Things are great when Dumblin’s crew is beating up on inept teams like the Browns and the Julius Jones-less Falcons.   When they face a worthy opponent, more often than not this season they’ve had their asses whipped, as they did today.   And let us not forget -- the PoeBirds badly out-hit Dumblin’s meek, softee crew all game long, both in terms of tackling as well as the trench warfare.   Lest we forget to mention, Dumblin helped shape a roster with ZERO depth at the RB position, and when his favorite toy got injured last week, Dumblin had no fallback to move forward with.  Want to lament the absence of Bell?    Blame it on Dumblin, who was too much the fool to shape a roster with ANY depth at a position that SCREAMS for depth.   All in all, just another sorry leadership effort by Dumblin, the most over-rated head coach, by far, in the NFL.   F   

Synopsis:   Another slop n’ slather for the Dumblin-led playoff team, which of course mimics Billy Cowher’s outlandish tenure of playoff slop.   This is what this team deserved, of course.   Had they not pooped the bed against lowly dregs like Clev, Tampa, and the Jets, they could have enjoyed a bye week and then hosted a home playoff game next weekend.   The defense was soft as moldy butter all season long, and the offense, despite putting up gaudy numbers, all too often failed to put TDs on the board, aside from that 2-week spurt of Ben’s 6-pack TDs.   Of course, even if they’d eked out a win, they’d have been run out of the stadium in embarrassing fashion next week by the Pats, especially with how soft and cheesy Dick’s defense is.   It’s high time for this team to shed the dead weight of over-aged veterans, along with a decrepit, over-aged Def. coordinator who clearly has been passed by and over-matched by at least 28 offensive coordinators in the NFL.  Rooney can keep his head buried in the sand, but clearly a severe wave of changes must be made if this team is truly interested in making it to a Super Bowl again. 

Again, that is the moderator of a board of a team that won its division and has been to four AFC title games and to three Super Bowls with two wins in the last ten years.

Really, my wish is that we stop talking about him period once this initial period of new-ness dies down.  Most franchises, the GM is not headline news all the time, because for us this is the first time we have felt we have had a real one in a long time I understand why people will want to over-examine every single move he makes, but I don't want to be in a situation where he is talked about every day, all day, all the time. I just want him to be able to quietly settle into his position with the team, start pulling strings and filling vacancies and allow the building to begin without over-analyzation of every single move.

The last thing we need to do is drive him out of town with an over-zealous media.

Just be prepared to bump and rebump this thread in the years to come, 'cuz you know that, sure as death and taxes, someone's gonna have to drown out the kiddies that don't wanna watch the team play, they just wanna watch the team win

Just be prepared to bump and rebump this thread in the years to come, 'cuz you know that, sure as death and taxes, someone's gonna have to drown out the kiddies that don't wanna watch the team play, they just wanna watch the team win

Beautifully put.

I fully expect everything to be a failure, because everything is always a failure .It doesn't work. Nothing works. The patriots? Their building a space shuttle out of household appliances, you know vacuum cleaners and blenders. That thing's probably going to work - we can't get this team out of the driveway.

This is where a Chinese Howard Cosell pulls up next to you at the traffic light

Based on the way SM builds this team it very well could be 3 years before we find that Qb so our very impatient fan base will need lots of happy pills to get through the next few years.

Or, he builds the Oline, the Oline is coached better and we realize we have a top 15 QB on the roster already. 

I fully bought into the five year Shanaplan and just ended up getting kicked in the 'nads for being so gullible.

I'm all in for this and am willing to be patient to see any results (although I may invest in a cup, just in case).

I have more faith in Scot's plan than the Shanaplan. Mainly because Scottys rebuilt two teams into playoff contenders. Shanahan drove a superbowl squad into mediocrity when he became GM.

Archived