Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Patience Thread: McCloughan is going to need some time to rebuild

Boss_Hogg

I became a Redskins fan when I was 7 years old (92 Super Bowl) as it was my first football game I ever watched and I fell in love with them. To this day I have never wavered and have grown into a diehard fan. We've never have gotten back to that elusive Super Bowl since then. I was growing impatient but mainly just with the owner and the front office.

Finally after 16 years Daniel Snyder is starting to get it. We've waited this long what's another few years. As long as we start to see progress next year and develop talent it will be a success. I think most fans should expect a 4-7 win season. I do think 7 wins is more than plausible with us playing the NFC South and the AFC East. Bills will take a big step back next season, Jets will still be bad, and the Dolphins will be a wildcard.

Meh. Patience. So we've hired another guy, so what? I think anyone with half a brain will reserve judgement until something happens that comes from the changes we're supposedly making as opposed to the changes themselves. I'm pretty sure we've seen this dance before. The signature says it all. We've only just begun. I'm holding out for genuine results.

After months of listening to that IDIOT coach Jay Gruden, we finally hear from a real NFL talent that has a logical, measured response to RG3 and the team. Exactly right: Why are we trading away a 24 yr old ROY QB that lead the team to the playoffs and a NFC East Title? The only way this can be better is if we can that moron of a coach and get Seattle's OC to come in and coach this team.

Finally. A real NFL Football guy. Can't you listen to him and hear how different he sounds from that Arena League stiff Jay Gruden? The Moron who wanted to can RG3 after 4 starts and build around Coly McCoy? Clean house SM, and start with Gruden.

2 Years??? Come on guys a steady 5 year plan is the best option.

For what? Consistent title contender? Sure, sign me up for five years. Two to be talking about playoffs? Sounds right.

Patience with a proven talent evaluator as he puts pieces in place, that is easy... Gruden has this year to show he has it. Team will be young, as by all accounts we are going to have 20 or more new faces. Guys should feel recharged, play hard and get better as the season goes along. Better QB play is worth 1-2 more wins, better D is worth another 1-2 more wins. 7-8 wins in total next year is a reasonable expectation. 8-10 the following doable. 10 or more annually after and a title in 5.,, possible.

SM clearly knows how to do this. This season is about finding out if he has the guy on the headset and the guy behind center to do this with him.

Personally, I believe three or four new starters at OL should happen next year. I would leave the rest of the offense alone. The most telling stat is how few players who have left since 2009 who never play a snap with another team.... That is how bad the talent level has been. Polumbus and Chester are these type of guys, and they were our right side to open this past year. This is inexcusable and explains why no QB could have success.

Defensively, Kerrigan/Robinson/Baker/Breeland/Murphy set starters, but everything else is up for discussion imho. Rebuild focus has to be here, but I think this unit has been so dismal for the last five years, little things will have huge impact. Keep KO and Baker and cut bait with the rest of the staff. Get a good DC and watch Riley/Compton/Amerson/Thomas look much better.

I am willing to give SM five years, jay gets 16 games. This shoukd be a fun year for the players and fans and one of expectations each year after that.

What concerned / surprised me most was when the patience question was asked of SM. He said he asked Snyder about wether he will be patience and immediately deferred to Allen. He than said Allen asked Dan if he was going to be patience. I thought that was immensely revealing to all the prior decisions made. Doesn't seemed based on the way that was answered that anything other than dans still pulling the strings prematurely has hurt the team.

While we all have known this has been going on I never caught a quote so telling of how things were actually being done in Ashburn.

McCloughlan appears to be a legit talent and I believe he'll do a good job here. However, it also appears that Allen again did what everyone on here complains about and that's hiring a friend. He could say all day long that it was a legitimate process and he thought about a lot of people for the GM job. But he had this guy in mind since he left Seattle after last season and was confiding in him all season long. Both Allen and McCloughlan stated multiple times during the presser that they've known each other for a long time and that Allen worked with McCloughlan's father and brother in Oakland. McCloughlan also noted that he knows Jay's brother, Jon, very well and the Gruden's father.

Now with all that said, McCloughlan has a pretty impressive resume and obviously has all the credentials to be an N.F.L. GM. But if this thing ends up not going so well, it will be something to hear everybody all gaga about this hire right now, flip and gripe about how Allen hired another friend and it blew up in his face. I'm optimistic this is going to work because as I said, McCloughlan is legit. But I will also not hold my breath for the simple fact that this also smells like a good ole boy hire. Time will tell.

Now, I got the feeling from reading the presser that Allen and McCloughin were not friends, but that they've known each other for years because they all swam in the same NFL circles.  It felt more like they kept bumping into each other and would talk shop, not that they were pals, and I suspect in the small world NFL, almost everyone does know everyone.

That said, I found it telling that he said he didn't know about our scouts.  Makes me wonder if in NFL circles they weren't considered worth knowing?

I can see Rg3 being the biggest thing that Scot and Jay talk about when they sit down. When Scot sits down and watches the tape of last season and sees how Rg3 stunk it up ..oh boy..that's going be there biggest choice moving forward..oh and the 0-line also.

Griffin's future as a Redskin depends on this offseason development and next season's improved (nay, significantly improved) play. He's going into his 4th season and except for the 7-0 run they made his rookie season to win the division RG3's W/L record is worse than terrible.

HTTR

This is the quote from SM that makes me so very excited for the long-term plan: 

"...number 5 through 35 [in talent] are the core of your team. Those are the guys that are passionate, intelligent, consistent and competitive as all get out."

He acknowledges that, if things are done correctly, you'll hit on a few picks who become stars. In fairness to Cerrato, Marty, Gibbs, Shanahan, and even Snyder, we've done a good job of acquiring those. But where our teams have generally not stood up to the rest of the league is the level of our role players and backups. Having a balanced roster is what helps you win late in games and late in seasons. 

Hell, if you turn back the clock to previous Redskin teams, the 5-35 range is the reason we even had a shot during the 1987 season. We won a Super Bowl against the consensus best team and QB with backups playing at QB, WR1, and RB1. Earlier that season we fielded a team off the street that outplayed other teams with some regular players on the field. 

The theme of this thread is patience and I agree that we won't see this overnight. But if McCloughan can eventually realize his vision and fortify that middle-tier of the team through the draft, we are going to be a fun team to watch and should be in contention year in and year out. 

It's already started with the WaPo buffoons.

One thing these guys are good at is riling up a beaten down fanbase. This team may very well finish 5-11 in 2015 and I guantee we'll see J Reid articles citing "sources close to the situation" which claim that Scot has fallen off the wagon and Dan Snyder planned Harvest Fest without Bruce Allen's knowledge.

We can be patient, these media jerks won't. Drama and dysfunction sells.

And then three months later, we learn the story was 95 percent true.

I can't imagine the team being THIS bad is actually any good for anyone's bottom line.

However, it also appears that Allen again did what everyone on here complains about and that's hiring a friend. He could say all day long that it was a legitimate process and he thought about a lot of people for the GM job. But he had this guy in mind since he left Seattle after last season and was confiding in him all season long. Both Allen and McCloughlan stated multiple times during the presser that they've known each other for a long time and that Allen worked with McCloughlan's father and brother in Oakland. McCloughlan also noted that he knows Jay's brother, Jon, very well and the Gruden's father.

Yeah, that jumped out at me too.  Apparently McCloughan didn't realize most Redskins fans would consider all that to be a big negative.

Redskins: off season champions again. Don't you realize that Synder sells you hope every year and the fans keep falling for it? Put your wallets back in your pockets or nothing will ever change.

Then go root for another team since it will "never" change. I'm just tired of all the negativity in here. Why don't you do some homework on Scot McCloughan before you think this won't work yet again. Getting ridiculous seeing these posts everywhere in here.

Then go root for another team since it will "never" change. I'm just tired of all the negativity in here. Why don't you do some homework on Scot McCloughan before you think this won't work yet again. Getting ridiculous seeing these posts everywhere in here.

Hear hear!

Redskins: off season champions again. Don't you realize that Synder sells you hope every year and the fans keep falling for it? Put your wallets back in your pockets or nothing will ever change.

For those in the know, there is a massive difference between "winning the offseason" with a supposedly stud FA and "winning the offseason" with a stud GM. I mean, massive.

It's the difference between getting one of those "you may already be a winner" publishing house sweepstakes envelopes in the mail, and finding out that the first 5 of your six lotto numbers match the drawing but you have to wait to find out if your 6th number matches as well.

Both could make you a millionaire...but that doesn't mean the odds are the same.

We will win, if in 4-7 years we have the consistently contending team.

Thing is,  Dan Sndyer will probably prevent that.  I give it 2 years before Dan Snyder blows it all up. Sorry, I don't trust the man to see it through.

To the poster who is expecting 7-8 wins next year?  You are dreaming.  This team is probably a coach, QB and a boatload of players away from winning that many games in maybe 2017.  The next 2 years are going to be ugly.

I've been saying the same thing. While he did say he thought there was more talent here now then at SF, remember how long it took SF to get back to Relevant.   I suspect this is at least a 2 year thing.  We probably need 2 drafts more to right this ship.  It may get worse or still look bad next year.

Archived