Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts on Cousins and the next few weeks

See this is weird to me because he has said that he does not want to run the read option so that would mean he's not comfortable in it. I think people have this misconception that its the only offense he ran and therefore label him a running QB. He was a spread offense QB, a lot of shotgun and playing from the pocket but with the concepts related to a Spread offense, Shanny and Kyle thought the read option out of the pistol formation would be good so they got with the coach from Nevada where Kapernick played and introduced it. 

RG, problem is not that he can't pick it up quickly because I already know he's too intelligent of a person not to, and nothing about him says he lacks attention to detail. The problem his he needs to be on the field and learn from making mistakes with a new West coast passing concept. He is obviously thinking about what he should do opposed to just knowing already and it slows down his reaction time. That will change with "hours on the saddle" as us bikers say. Kirk has been learning the concepts his entire college career, so he should be better at it.

I would agree, I didn't say he can't pick up this offense, I said he hasn't yet.  Yes, you have to be on the field  to learn and he has not been able to do that.  I was willing to give him this entire year to get comfortable running this offense and believe he would have (maybe still can) grow into it.  That being said, if KC continues to look as good or nearly as good running it, then do you sit KC? 

I actually agree here.

The pass was horrid. Can't blame coaching there

I don't think anyone is saying it was a good pass, it was not a good pass.....at all.  However, the play right before that was  a perfect pass that was played very well by the CB.  I think you heard KC even take responsibility for that pass.

I actually agree here.

The pass was horrid. Can't blame coaching there.

And if anyone wants to pull the miscommunication card then PG sucked there as well

I don't think it was a miscommunication at all, I think KC just missed the throw.  Had he waited little bit longer, I think he makes that throw.  You can't put the loss on KC alone, however, he should have made that throw.

I've heard a couple folks mention a pass on first down in that last series. Just to level set, we ran on first down:

Washington Redskins at 2:25
1-10-PHI 41 (2:25) A.Morris left end to PHI 41 for no gain (F.Cox).
Two-Minute Warning
2-10-PHI 41 (2:00) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short right to D.Jackson.
3-10-PHI 41 (1:56) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short right to A.Roberts (B.Boykin).
Timeout #1 by WAS at 01:52.
4-10-PHI 41 (1:52) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete deep left to P.Garcon

I've heard a couple folks mention a pass on first down in that last series. Just to level set, we ran on first down:

Washington Redskins at 2:25
1-10-PHI 41 (2:25) A.Morris left end to PHI 41 for no gain (F.Cox).
Two-Minute Warning
2-10-PHI 41 (2:00) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short right to D.Jackson.
3-10-PHI 41 (1:56) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete short right to A.Roberts (B.Boykin).
Timeout #1 by WAS at 01:52.
4-10-PHI 41 (1:52) (Shotgun) K.Cousins pass incomplete deep left to P.Garcon

Yes, I misspoke, it was the 3rd down call I was talking about.

The second and third down passes were conservative, high-percentage " outs.  I would have called a slant over the middle and if that were not open ... a check-down to Helu.

But what the heck ... if KC doesn't throw for 427 yds. and 3 tds earlier ... we are not having this conversation.

Re: the 4th down throw to Garcon, I think even Kirk's mom would tell you that his pass was horrible. That's 100% on him. But there are too many plays in a game to let that poor play define anything. 

I wonder if that play, though, was one of the few times you saw how little Kirk and Garcon had worked together.  I don't think they were on the same page reading things the same way, and it just ended up bad. 

All in all, Kirk played really well.  A few bad throws, some at inopportune times.  I'll take 427 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT every day of the week, and I'd take it tonight.  You win more of those games than you lose. 

I wonder if that play, though, was one of the few times you saw how little Kirk and Garcon had worked together.  I don't think they were on the same page reading things the same way, and it just ended up bad. 

All in all, Kirk played really well.  A few bad throws, some at inopportune times.  I'll take 427 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT every day of the week, and I'd take it tonight.  You win more of those games than you lose. 

Absolutely!

I'm very high on Cousins right now. I hope my post didn't come off as being too critical. 

I absolutely hate those "option plays" in Madden, you never know which way the WR is going to break. Now I know that is a game but I heard Troy say that at least one of the QB/WR miscommunications was an option play. My question please is how does the QB know where to throw the ball in that situation? And is that awareness going to come with experience of playing with the first team?

(I am not saying the miss to Garcon was an option play, I have absolutely no idea!).

It must be really hard to learn how to be a pocket quarterback while you're actually starting in the NFL. I think folks are underestimating that -- I know I did. 

No matter what QB you prefer, you have to admit RG3 is a really tough spot now.

Let's say KC continues to play well. I'm not talking lights out like the Philly game, but well enough that going back to RG3 is far from a no-brainer.

But in the end, Gruden does choose to go back to him.

RG3 will once again be rusty and once again be a work in progress. The expectations will be unrealistic and the pressure on him to perform at a level higher than Kirk will be enormous.

Absolutely!

I'm very high on Cousins right now. I hope my post didn't come off as being too critical. 

It didn't.  I think he's playing really well, for the most part.  And some of the bobbles are because he hasn't had a lot of opportunities, either in games or practices. 

He'll get them worked out with time.  3rd year guy with 2 meaningful starts.  2013 didn't happen. 

I absolutely hate those "option plays" in Madden, you never know which way the WR is going to break. Now I know that is a game but I heard Troy say that at least one of the QB/WR miscommunications was an option play. My question please is how does the QB know where to throw the ball in that situation? And is that awareness going to come with experience of playing with the first team?

(I am not saying the miss to Garcon was an option play, I have absolutely no idea!).

It's a good question, and KDawg might be better able to answer it, but my understanding is that the route is determined at the snap based on the positioning of the defense.  And both QB and WR have to read the defense the same way for them to work, otherwise they don't, and it looks UGLY.

It must be really hard to learn how to be a pocket quarterback while you're actually starting in the NFL. I think folks are underestimating that -- I know I did. 

Let's say KC continues to play well. I'm not talking lights out like the Philly game, but well enough that going back to RG3 is far from a no-brainer.

RG3 will once again be rusty and once again be a work in progress. The expectations will be unrealistic and the pressure on him to perform at a level higher than Kirk will be enormous.

This is really true. 

The question the organization has to answer is if it is better to live with Griffin's struggles as he learns how to do the things that Cousins can do, because he's had more practice at it, or just to move on.

It will come down to whether they think he can stay healthy, and if they believe his athletic ability is back to what it was in 2012.  If they think those 2 things are true, and they believe he can pick up the offense and execute it as well or better than Kirk is now, then they go back to Griffin, pay their dues, and hope that in the end they have a unique weapon, who can pass as effectively as any QB in the league, but also force defenses to account for him in the run game.

It's a pickle.  

I agree with this. All I want is to win games, and whichever QB can do that is who we should be playing. Loyalty has little to do with that decision.

Fan loyalty towards players and player loyalty towards teams pretty much went out the door with the salary cap and free agency.

How many are reluctant to buy a jersey for any player in this day and age? It is a crap shoot for what players will still be on any given team 3 years from now.

Throw in the bans/suspensions for NFL drug/personal conduct/illegal hits and whatever new flavour of policy is invented and it becomes even more complicated.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but your post illustrates this point to me really well. Why is it that RG3 gets this "he'll be rusty and a work in progress" excuse 6+ weeks out from coming back, but with Cousins I'm still hearing how he blew it at the end. Is Cousins not allowed to be rusty because he played a traditional drop back role in college...4 years ago? The guy hasn't been a starter and has played consistently less games than RG3. Why doesn't Cousins get a pass on his performance at the end of the Eagles game? So he had a bad drive to close out the game. There's this expectation that Cousins goes out there and performs flawlessly despite the fact that he's coming off the bench.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but your post illustrates this point to me really well. Why is it that RG3 gets this "he'll be rusty and a work in progress" excuse 6+ weeks out from coming back, but with Cousins I'm still hearing how he blew it at the end. Is Cousins not allowed to be rusty because he played a traditional drop back role in college...4 years ago? The guy hasn't been a starter and has played consistently less games than RG3. Why doesn't Cousins get a pass on his performance at the end of the Eagles game? So he had a bad drive to close out the game. There's this expectation that Cousins goes out there and performs flawlessly despite the fact that he's coming off the bench.

Hey, I may like RG3, but if anything I'm leaning toward Cousins being the guy long-term. He has looked so in command, so comfortable in the pocket -- and he's getting rid of the ball quick and throwing receivers open like a ten year vet.  And I agree with you: folks seem to forget Cousins was a 4th round pick and has started all of six NFL games. Killing him for that last drive is insane. It's just two games, but still -- no QB in the league has looked better in those past two games. 

Wasn't making excuses for RG3 as much as I was trying to point out the reality of the situation if he is the starter again. 

This is really true. 

The question the organization has to answer is if it is better to live with Griffin's struggles as he learns how to do the things that Cousins can do, because he's had more practice at it, or just to move on.

It will come down to whether they think he can stay healthy, and if they believe his athletic ability is back to what it was in 2012.  If they think those 2 things are true, and they believe he can pick up the offense and execute it as well or better than Kirk is now, then they go back to Griffin, pay their dues, and hope that in the end they have a unique weapon, who can pass as effectively as any QB in the league, but also force defenses to account for him in the run game.

It's a pickle.  

I'm not even thinking about RG3 adaptability to Gruden's offense in the near future, i'm really focusing on his durability issues. Are we going to pay a QB 100million dollars that starts 11-12 games a year? Also, we won't have a Kirk Cousins backup ever again. A Cade Mcnown will be a standard for NFL backups.

at this point it would be foolish to bank on RG3 playing an NFL season without suffering a season-ending caliber injury ... 3rd season just started, 28 NFL games, and he's already suffered 2* season-ending caliber injuries.  Call 'em "freak" accidents if you want ... they still happened and they happened while playing football.  If we keep RG3 we need to have a damn good back-up.  Worse ... I think his only trade market is teams who are stunningly desperate or who only have a decent back-up or QB-of-the-future-in-waiting on their roster.  Frankly I doubt the latter would be very interested given the likely scenario that they rush their future QB because RG3 goes horizontal during a game.

* I think the ankle qualifies as season-ending caliber.  Best case its half a season out and personally I don't beleive that he will ever be more than 80% of the 2012 version we fell in love with.  That 100% recovery crap is just that.  Anyone who has ever had a serious sports injury knows that.  I just hope we don't get the RG3 full press media blitz about being all-in for the second half ... cause he really won't be "all well" for a long time and even then it will be less than he was before the injury.

Vick could move in the open field, RG3 really can't or just isn't that good at it. That Giants play in 2012 is the only time I remember him truly eluding defenders without straight line speed. 

Vick could run, but could not throw.  For his career, he has 1 year throwing over 60% completions and only played 12 games that year.  Robert after 2 seasons had 2 years of over 60% completions.  What people seem to over-look is that Robert is a very accurate passer that can throw with touch or velocity.  This is true on short, medium and long passes.  Robert really only has 2 problems.  1 is his list of injuries.  I am sure we all want that to stop.  2 is his pocket presence.  He can throw from there, but tends to move too much as the pocket shrinks.  This will take more practice (in games to master.)  Kirk, seems comfortable not moving too much from the pocket.  Right now, this is working for him.  So is his quick decision making.  I don't say quick release, because that is a different thing.

I am excited for our backup.  But, he is the backup and will remain that if Robert gets fully healthy (or we win 4 of the next 5 games!!!!)

Archived