Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who will be a surprise cut on Sunday? Or will there not be any surprises?

Helu, Paulsen, Chester.

I have a feeling Aldrick will be traded and we keep Rashad Ross for special teams.

If Helu's pass blocking doesn't improve, then yes, I could see it.  Aldrick is an interesting choice though, Ross would have to continue to show up as a returner.  I can't remember if any of our punt returns did more than just fair catch it, but was Ross one of them?

I am seriously hoping for the Skins to cut CHRIS CHESTER asap

I know Montgomery was let go immediately, but i always thought the worst O-Lineman by a long shot last year was Chester. Justin Tuck made a fool of him the entire second Giant game last year. After seeing Chester miss those blocks in the Browns game, I am stunned he is still on this roster. I say throw in LeRibeus or Long and let them have at it.

My man crush, Leonard Hankerson, I know he doesn't have fans on this forum but even they can see that Hank is heading to the PUP list now. If he was cut that would be surprising right?

Totally agree. Hank has had chance after chance to prove himself and just hasn't lived up to a 3rd round draft pick.

Not so sure about Stabby.  From all indications, he's had a good camp.  Remember, he's strictly a LG and C.  Since Luvauo and Lich have entrenched themselves as starters, it would be hard for him to move into the starter role.  Him being versitle at LG and C will keep him on the roster.  He's not a natural RG, but I think he could play there if he had to.

Pretty sure that Ribs played RG for most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters against Cleveland. I thought he did good. 

I'm going way out on a limb and say Chris Thompson.  I think they really like him and that they want him to be the guy, but he hasn't really flashed in the preseason games while the other running backs have and he's like that British sports car that looks so good in the driveway and has all the specs, but is in the shop way more than on the road.

I had an MG for 10 years, I know exactly what you mean.

I'm thinking Helu, just because.

Pretty sure that Ribs played RG for most of the 2nd and 3rd quarters against Cleveland. I thought he did good.

I think the 'Skins want to keep LeRibeus - a guy with good attributes entering his 3rd year. The problem is 1) I'm sure they'd rather not keep 10 olinemen and 2) they want a backup for each position. Moses and Long are locks. With no G/T (aside from Hurt, but sadly I've sort of written him off at this point), they almost have to keep Compton. So the 9th spot goes to a guy that can backup both G and C (McGlynn... maybe Stevens).

So, unless they opt to keep 10 oline, Ribs gets pushed out by default, even though I like him a lot more than McGlynn. This is why I hoped to see LeRibeus and Gettis get some (more) practice at C this offseason, but no dice.

Akeem Jordan or Darryl Sharpton.  They were signed mostly as insurance for Robinson coming back from injury.  Robinson's healthy and starting with Riley.  Some of the young LBs have flashed.  Might go ahead and cut one now so they have a chance to get with another team.  Regardless don't see both on the final roster.  

Akeem Jordan or Darryl Sharpton.  They were signed mostly as insurance for Robinson coming back from injury.  Robinson's healthy and starting with Riley.  Some of the young LBs have flashed.  Might go ahead and cut one now so they have a chance to get with another team.  Regardless don't see both on the final roster.  

Aren't those two pretty much our backup MLBs tho?

Aren't those two pretty much our backup MLBs tho?

Depends on how many ILBs they keep.  Robinson and Riley are your starters.  Haywood looks to be a lock for his special teams play.  I think Will Compton makes it based of his play at LB and on teams.  I just don't see Jordan and Sharpton on the final roster.  Neither is an outside rusher.  I see 9 LBs total, 4 outside and 5 inside .

Paulsen would be a huge shock. He's our best blocking tight end and our 2nd tight end. Paul is still a question mark and Bolser is nowhere near ready.

I'm predicting they cut Paulsen and bring in another blocking TE.....I've never been impressed with Paulsen...he's an overrated blocker.....he's the Reed Doughty of offense.

I am going to predict no surprises, but it there were one, that we will hear they were released when they were so they could catch on with another team.

Not because they were not good enough.

The biggest "surprise" prediction is Minnifield. Again, not a surprise but the biggest name out there.

I'm predicting they cut Paulsen and bring in another blocking TE.....I've never been impressed with Paulsen...he's an overrated blocker.....he's the Reed Doughty of offense.

Overrated blocker? Maybe. But he and Doughty don't really compare. Reed was great at ST and against the run, but pretty bad or terrible in coverage. Paulsen is solid all around (and underrated as a pass catcher).

Unless you're comparing them as two guys that hung around too long, but then I'd just point out that this is because we haven't gotten anyone better (until maybe this year regarding Doughty), so the beef shouldn't be with them, but with the FO.

Of course, if they bring in this hypothetical guy you reference, then I'm all for upgrading... though that would (likely) just bump Paul off the roster, so you'd need another hypothetical guy to replace Paulsen.

He would be a surprise cut though, so you got that going for you ;)

Some of the responses in this thread are flat out idiotic.

Chris Chester? Are you ****ing kidding me? He is currently the STARTER! You don't cut your starter to get down to 70. Hell, not even to get to 53. Even if he was replaced by the rookie, don't you think he then becomes the second best RG on the team? Holy hell people.

Rambo got a mention? The player everyone is saying is having the best camp and the ONLY back up at FS on the roster? Come on man!

Paulson? He is an excellent TE2, very young, has done nothing but produce and who takes his spot? Paul. Who takes Pauls spot? Nobody, because none of the other TEs look like NFL players.

Moss? at the 70 cuts? Why on earth do you cut your most veteran WR, who coaches and oter players have raved about, who has produced in peseason, at the 70 cuts? Think. Ross, sure, why not. Nick Williams has earned praise from the coach, he should stick until the 53. Hoffman is on the 70 bubble.

Porter? The guy who has looked great when healthy and has been good enough to keep the second best drafted player, Bash, in the fourth CB spot. Yeah, not getting cut, even at the 53.

RJax is the only real "surprise" cut I could see. Older, not jumping out. Gettis too. Biggers, but I don't see them as surprises. Jordon, Sharpton, maybe also. Again, no shock there.

I don't know that any cut would surprise me. Where I think there are position battles:

RB: apart from Morris (who clearly won't get cut), none of the others would shock me. I'd raise an eyebrow if Helu got cut, but that's about it.

OL: There are 7 locks (starters plus draft picks) I think Compton and Ribs make it, but wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

WR: 4 are locks: DJax, garçon, Roberts, Grant. I think both Robinson and Moss make it. If one doesn't, would be interesting, but not shocking.

TE: I don't think it will happen, but I would be shocked if Niles was released.

DL: the starters are pretty well set. None of the backups being cut would shock me.

LB; some say Rob Jackson would be shocking. Would be interesting. But eh, not that shocking.

Secondary: tough decisions with DBs. But apart from Porter being cut, which I seriously doubt, none of the others would be that difficult to explain.

Archived