Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who will be a surprise cut on Sunday? Or will there not be any surprises?

Overrated blocker? Maybe. But he and Doughty don't really compare. Reed was great at ST and against the run, but pretty bad or terrible in coverage. Paulsen is solid all around (and underrated as a pass catcher).

Unless you're comparing them as two guys that hung around too long, but then I'd just point out that this is because we haven't gotten anyone better (until maybe this year regarding Doughty), so the beef shouldn't be with them, but with the FO.

Of course, if they bring in this hypothetical guy you reference, then I'm all for upgrading... though that would (likely) just bump Paul off the roster, so you'd need another hypothetical guy to replace Paulsen.

He would be a surprise cut though, so you got that going for you ;)

Paulsen and Doughty hung around too long and both are on the field too much...usually because of injuries.....Paulsen is a 3rd string TE....problem is that Niles is a 3rd string TE also

Some of the responses in this thread are flat out idiotic.

Chris Chester? Are you ****ing kidding me? He is currently the STARTER! You don't cut your starter to get down to 70. Hell, not even to get to 53. Even if he was replaced by the rookie, don't you think he then becomes the second best RG on the team? Holy hell people.

Rambo got a mention? The player everyone is saying is having the best camp and the ONLY back up at FS on the roster? Come on man!

Paulson? He is an excellent TE2, very young, has done nothing but produce and who takes his spot? Paul. Who takes Pauls spot? Nobody, because none of the other TEs look like NFL players.

Moss? at the 70 cuts? Why on earth do you cut your most veteran WR, who coaches and oter players have raved about, who has produced in peseason, at the 70 cuts? Think. Ross, sure, why not. Nick Williams has earned praise from the coach, he should stick until the 53. Hoffman is on the 70 bubble.

Porter? The guy who has looked great when healthy and has been good enough to keep the second best drafted player, Bash, in the fourth CB spot. Yeah, not getting cut, even at the 53.

RJax is the only real "surprise" cut I could see. Older, not jumping out. Gettis too. Biggers, but I don't see them as surprises. Jordon, Sharpton, maybe also. Again, no shock there.

I think Moss gets the mention because if they knew for sure we were only going to keep 5 WRs they would cut him now so he could get with another team with some time to learn their playbook. So, I think if we are cutting Moss it would be on Sunday as sort of a respect thing. We aren't cutting Moss though.

My man crush, Leonard Hankerson, I know he doesn't have fans on this forum but even they can see that Hank is heading to the PUP list now. If he was cut that would be surprising right?

Wow I can't believe you finally came around. Actually though I think Hankerson will be stashed on the PuP and given a chance if something happens to the six WRs we keep. I'd actually like to see him put on IR and given a fair shot to compete next year with a full offseason program and training camp. What's the rule with IR? Would Hankerson have to have a setback to be eligible to be on it? Or could we put him on IR at the start of the season? It's too bad he isn't eligible for the practice squad because I think if we were to cut him some team would pick him up to and give him a shot.

some people aren't reading the thread question....  it's asking about surprise cuts...  a few people are thinking, who's gonna be cut 1st and giving their answer....  the funniest one was rg3 which is ridiculous but at least it goes with the title...   cuts from 90 to 75 are due by tuesday 4pm et....   gruden says we'll be done with ours on sunday (an off day for us)...   now answer the question accordingly...  it's about surprise cuts, not who you think will be cut....

mine are kobra kai, santana moss & london fletcher... oh wait... not on the team, but yeah, that'd be a surprise, no?!  :D

I think the 'Skins want to keep LeRibeus - a guy with good attributes entering his 3rd year. The problem is 1) I'm sure they'd rather not keep 10 olinemen and 2) they want a backup for each position. Moses and Long are locks. With no G/T (aside from Hurt, but sadly I've sort of written him off at this point), they almost have to keep Compton. So the 9th spot goes to a guy that can backup both G and C (McGlynn... maybe Stevens).

So, unless they opt to keep 10 oline, Ribs gets pushed out by default, even though I like him a lot more than McGlynn. This is why I hoped to see LeRibeus and Gettis get some (more) practice at C this offseason, but no dice.

I can't fault your thinking on this.

I'm hoping he can somehow make the team and would also like to see him play a bit at C, although IIRC he has played some (at camp/OTAs?) and didn't do that well.

I was really just replying to a post that stated he was strictly a LG/C, which obviously isn't correct.

I'm predicting they cut Paulsen and bring in another blocking TE.....I've never been impressed with Paulsen...he's an overrated blocker.....he's the Reed Doughty of offense.

And to me, Reed Doughty was severely underrated during his time here. Paulsen holds real value to this team, if they were to bring in another TE it's more likely to replace Paul, not Paulsen.

Plus, I have no real idea why you'd thinkk Paulsen is an overrated blocker. What's that based on?

And to me, Reed Doughty was severely underrated during his time here. Paulsen holds real value to this team, if they were to bring in another TE it's more likely to replace Paul, not Paulsen.

Plus, I have no real idea why you'd thinkk Paulsen is an overrated blocker. What's that based on?

he's not strong enough, IMO...I've seen too many missed blocks...too many penalties.

Paulsen and Doughty hung around too long and both are on the field too much...usually because of injuries.....Paulsen is a 3rd string TE....problem is that Niles is a 3rd string TE also

I'm not sure what Paulsen has got to do to get some credit from some people.

He stepped in when Freddy ****ed up and when Reed got concussed. He's not a third string TE, he's a good, solid number two. Maybe because he just does his job without being spectacular he doesn't get noticed.

I'm not against upgrading, but at the moment I'm more than happy with Paulsen as back-up.

I'm not sure what Paulsen has got to do to get some credit from some people.

He stepped in when Freddy ****ed up and when Reed got concussed. He's not a third string TE, he's a good, solid number two. Maybe because he just does his job without being spectacular he doesn't get noticed.

I'm not against upgrading, but at the moment I'm more than happy with Paulsen as back-up.

Some people hate overachievers.  Paulsen is one of those guys who plays better than this ability.  He's supposed to be slow, poor handed, and undraftable.  He's made himself a viable player.  He'll never be a star, but he is a player.  He is solid.

Some of the responses in this thread are flat out idiotic.

Chris Chester? Are you ****ing kidding me? He is currently the STARTER! You don't cut your starter to get down to 70. Hell, not even to get to 53. Even if he was replaced by the rookie, don't you think he then becomes the second best RG on the team? Holy hell people.

Porter? The guy who has looked great when healthy and has been good enough to keep the second best drafted player, Bash, in the fourth CB spot. Yeah, not getting cut, even at the 53.

So I will respond to this post from you because I actually said these 2 will be cut. It's just my opinion but Chris Chester should not be the "STARTER" on this team. He obviously has the most experience and the most knowledge of the playbook which is why I think he's still running with the 1s.

I actually watch a lot of film and can tell you he's a liability for sure. I'm sure coach sees this but he's waiting for someone to step up. I think thats why the reports that Long will get some 1st team reps. 

As for Tracy Porter, I wouldnt say he look great when he's healthy but that just me. He's a solid 3rd/4th corner but I don't see him as a upgrade over Bigger or Crawford. Also even though it was only a sample size I think Breeland is the real deal (as long as he chill with the pot).

So thats why I think they will be cut if not tomorrow then when we cut to 53. But hey I could be 100% wrong as well. 

Hail

In response to the OP, I've got to go with the boring option and say that there won't be any surprise first cuts.

There are at least fifteen guys on the bubble who aren't going to make the team. On the depth chart there is 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team and other. I don't think that many of the "others" make it past Sunday unless they were drafted this year or return kicks.

I can't fault your thinking on this.

I'm hoping he can somehow make the team and would also like to see him play a bit at C, although IIRC he has played some (at camp/OTAs?) and didn't do that well.

I was really just replying to a post that stated he was strictly a LG/C, which obviously isn't correct.

Sorry, meant my comment as a springboard off yours, wasn't arguing/disagreeing or whatever. And yeah, he's been playing RG (and doing a pretty good job) the last two games. Well enough that he probably shouldn't be viewed as a pure LG - good call.

He and Gettis played some C last year in the offseason. Got the feeling they didn't do so hot, but coming in overweight (Ribs) and just giving them nominal reps at the spot (in their 2nd year) isn't really giving them a real chance.

The thing that impresses me about that video DG is that almost every one of his "drops" is because the ball is at his fingertips. Not to say he has some amazing catch radius, but he is a big dude and if he can barely touch a ball then I sure ain't holding that against him. Very underrated as a pass catcher.

I don't think people realize how easy it will be to cut down to 75. While many of the names mentioned in here could get cut, I see no reason to cut many of them right now. I don't think people realize how easy it is to cut down to 75.

Everette Brown

Stephen Campbell

Mike Caussin

Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith

Lee Doss

Frank Kearse

Kevin Kowalski

Rashard Lawrence

Ross Madison

Jake McDonough

Bryan Sheppard

Matt Veldman

Punter

Kicker

That's pretty much enough right there. I left off plenty of borderline guys too. Maybe you keep one of the above if you're thinking practice squad. But you don't need to make any of the real tough cuts. Maybe Rob Jackson. Maybe Chase Minnifield. If you really don't want a vet, you might cut him early to cut him a break. But really, the RB, OL, and LB battles likely won't be decided until the final 53.

So I will respond to this post from you because I actually said these 2 will be cut. It's just my opinion but Chris Chester should not be the "STARTER" on this team. He obviously has the most experience and the most knowledge of the playbook which is why I think he's still running with the 1s.

I actually watch a lot of film and can tell you he's a liability for sure. I'm sure coach sees this but he's waiting for someone to step up. I think thats why the reports that Long will get some 1st team reps.

As for Tracy Porter, I wouldnt say he look great when he's healthy but that just me. He's a solid 3rd/4th corner but I don't see him as a upgrade over Bigger or Crawford. Also even though it was only a sample size I think Breeland is the real deal (as long as he chill with the pot).

So thats why I think they will be cut if not tomorrow then when we cut to 53. But hey I could be 100% wrong as well.

Hail

Porter has been praised. Do you honestly see him slipping behind biggers? That's what it takes to cut him.

CC you see being pushed out by long and who exactly?

How many starters do you see league wide, who will straight be cut on Tuesday?

I think he's decent in the passing game, but I don't think he's a good blocker....sue me

he was a good starter, but you think the guys who won't make the PS are better?

Porter has been praised. Do you honestly see him slipping behind biggers? That's what it takes to cut him.

CC you see being pushed out by long and who exactly?

How many starters do you see league wide, who will straight be cut on Tuesday?

You're right! maybe not cut with this 1st round of cuts but it's possible when we cut down to 53.

Porter just doesn't get me excited with his play. Hopefully tonight we'll have a better idea of what he has to offer.

I honestly feel we could replace CC with Long or ribs and have little to no drop off in the RG play IMO.

Not so sure about Stabby.  From all indications, he's had a good camp.  Remember, he's strictly a LG and C.

I'm not sure they cut him either, but he can only play G.  They tried him at C his rookie season and he was, according to reports, bad enough at it that they gave up and just let him play G.  So, he doesn't have any versatility.  

If we already have Long, who seems to be doing well enough that they're testing him against starters (a really great DL in Baltimore) then I'd say they're expecting him to surpass LeRibeus.  

Don't forget, we also have McGlynn who played G all last year for the Colts (and didn't do great, but he's not a starter) and he's a much better C than a G.  So, in a pinch, they have two guys who can play G and an extra C even without LeRibeus.

Paulsen Video

Noticed a couple things.  First, if we always played Carolina, Paulsen would be a HoF, hahaha.  

(Rant Starting)

Second, and I am going to go on a minor rant here, then I'll stay on topic again, that "pass interference on the offense" BS call was by none other than Referee Mike "Go **** Yourself" Carey.  Sorry, but that dude is either a liar or a coward.  If you're going to suddenly come out publicly against the name now that it's becoming popular, and claim you were always against the name, you're one or the other.  This dude has ALWAYS had a problem with the Skins, and it's got some other origin, IMO.  He should have to pay back his paychecks if he's willing to admit he wasn't able to remain unbiased during games.  That's not different than trying to fix games or point shave.  The NFL should rescind any benefits he has in retirement if you're going to admit to doing something like that during your days working in the league, I don't care who it was against.  

(Rant Over)

I've always liked Paulsen.  He's not a flashy receiving TE because he lacks the speed, but he doesn't have bad hands and he's our best blocking TE.  Not sure why people think he's gone, or even should be.  It's good to have a TE that is a solid blocker, even if he's not the best receiver.

Just saw this posted by Haz.  It's Rich Tandler's "5 Possible Surprise Redskins Cuts":

"Colt McCoy—While there has been plenty of speculation that the Redskins could go with two quarterbacks, most analysts have McCoy staying. That could change with a particularly strong performance by some players or injuries that force the team to use the third QB roster spot for another position.

Rob Jackson—He’s supposed to be a playmaker but he really hasn’t done much this preseason. He’s holding on but if Adrian Robinson or Gabe Miller comes on strong he could be in trouble.

Josh LeRibeus—The 2012 third-round pick reported in shape and he has been playing well. But his survival on the roster will come down to a numbers game. If they keep eight or nine on the O-line, he’s probably out. If they keep 10, he’s got a good shot.

E. J. Biggers—He was the first nickel back for most of training camp. But he could get squeezed out by Tracy Porter, who was guaranteed $2 million, and Bashaud Breeland, who was a fourth-round pick

Bacarri Rambo—He’s made progress at safety but since he’s been playing there a lot he hasn’t done much on special teams. If he can’t demonstrate some ability to perform in the kicking game, Akeem Davis or Trenton Robinson could jump up and steal the spot."

http://realredskins.com/2014/08/23/need-to-know-five-possible-surprise-redskins-cuts/

Just saw this posted by Haz.  It's Rich Tandler's "5 Possible Surprise Redskins Cuts":

"Colt McCoy—While there has been plenty of speculation that the Redskins could go with two quarterbacks, most analysts have McCoy staying. That could change with a particularly strong performance by some players or injuries that force the team to use the third QB roster spot for another position.

Rob Jackson—He’s supposed to be a playmaker but he really hasn’t done much this preseason. He’s holding on but if Adrian Robinson or Gabe Miller comes on strong he could be in trouble.

Josh LeRibeus—The 2012 third-round pick reported in shape and he has been playing well. But his survival on the roster will come down to a numbers game. If they keep eight or nine on the O-line, he’s probably out. If they keep 10, he’s got a good shot.

E. J. Biggers—He was the first nickel back for most of training camp. But he could get squeezed out by Tracy Porter, who was guaranteed $2 million, and Bashaud Breeland, who was a fourth-round pick

Bacarri Rambo—He’s made progress at safety but since he’s been playing there a lot he hasn’t done much on special teams. If he can’t demonstrate some ability to perform in the kicking game, Akeem Davis or Trenton Robinson could jump up and steal the spot."

http://realredskins.com/2014/08/23/need-to-know-five-possible-surprise-redskins-cuts/

saw those too...

mccoy wouldn't be a real surprise to me...  i think he could be released and if something happens with griff or cousins, picked up...  not sure any other teams would want him, but i could be wrong...

rob jackson, as much as i loved what he did for us in that last game of 2012 against the cowboys while filling in for the injured orakpo, very will could be gone this year.  he sat in FA for a long time..  he'd be available in a pinch if need be.

lerebius would be a surprise considering he came to camp in shape and we really need to develop from within, imho..  i don't want to see him leave and become a stud elsewhere.

biggers only played more snaps in preseason at nickel corner because porter has/had a shoulder injury.  he could be the odd man out depending on how the youngsters perform in the last 2 preseason games.  not really a surprise for me.

rambo being cut i'd be shocked by considering what clark said about him this past week..  and at least he's trying to play ST, unlike last year.

Archived