Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

footballnation.com: 2012 Washington Redskins: Best and Worst Case Scenarios

http://www.footballnation.com/content/2012-washington-redskins-best-and-worst-case-scenarios/15772/

DRINKING THE KOOL-AID: BEST CASE SCENARIO

If you "drank the Kool-Aid," it means you bought in to something 100%, although you may not know exactly what you're be getting. That's been the theme for Washington for the passed ten years, and of course, District Kool-aid junkies are calling for the Super Bowl trophy or bust this year. Can't say I disagree with them, the obvious best-case scenario for any team is a Super Bowl. But, with their offensive and defensive makeup, a trip to the playoffs could, in some reality, be attainable.

What needs to happen: Offense - Protection, protection, protection. Did I mention protection? Robert Griffin won a Heisman in college for his freak athleticism, extending plays and scrambling to the open spot of the field to throw a bomb for a touchdown. The NFL is not so kind, and the Redskins offensive line must step up to protect this valuable asset.

With good offensive line play and a leap for third year LT Trent Williams, the running game will open up for second-year standout Roy Helu and returning starter Tim Hightower. Kyle Shanahan's offensive strategy of rolling-out RG3 will allow the QB to find WR Pierre Garcon and Santana Moss for quick slashing routes. Chris Cooley will act as a mentor for embattled TE Fred Davis and each will have All-Pro impacts in the run and pass game.

The Skin's stalls in the red zone will be squashed by the brilliance of RG3, who will put up Cam Newton-type stats on his way to solidifying himself as a blooming NFL star.

What needs to happen: Defense- The Skins front seven will match their productivity of last season, which was highlighted by youngster DE's Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan. London Fletcher will continue to to act as the team's emotional leader, and fire up a Redskin's secondary that now has many new faces. Jim Haslett's third year system, teamed up with former head coach, Raheem Morris, as the secondary coach, will motivate a talented Skin's D that will impress with improved pressure and maturity.

Outlook: 9-7 record, barely getting into the playoffs. It will be Mike Shanahan's best season by far and will validate all the future picks that were traded for the future franchise QB, Robert Griffin III. Veteran leadership will prove to be the X-factor for the Redskins and they will represent the NFC as a wild card team in the playoffs.

Interesting read. 9-7 through 4-12.

The reality probably lies somewhere in between. Given, among other things, a rookie QB; a far from stellar O-line losing pieces it can ill-afford to; a horrid secondary; and a tough as all heck schedule that has 2 or 3 horrid blocks of games; I'd air more on a 5/6 win season. 7 wins tops.

Steady progression, with another invaluable year of learning and growing together for the young guys.

All gearing toward 2013/ 2014 and hopefully explosion with yet more missing pieces added.

Hail.

Am I the only person that is really sick of hearing about protection issues? I think 98% of all "analysts" look at the Buffalo game and think that it applies across the board. The last 6 weeks, despite playing 2 UFDA street free agents and a 7th round rookie, the Skins gave up 1.8 sacks per game and rushed for an average of 129 ypg. Over a full season -- that would put them in the top 10 of sacks given up and rushing offense.

Not to mention the Eagles "standout offensive line" gave up 19 more pressures than the Redskins did -- AND Jason Peters' career is likely over. So who is more likely to have protection issues?

I think almost anyone besides the most hopeless Homer would take a 9-7 finish this coming season. I know I would.

Hell I'd even be happy with an 8-8, it shows progress and that the team is really moving towards being competitive and a real chance at winning the division.

I feel like football nation is the new bleacher report. The last thing I read from there had us going 2-14 with the worst record in the league.

The only thing worse than having that happen would be watching the rams make the first overall pick next year. Or trading it for another kings ransom cause they already have a quarterback.

There are obvious differences, but does anybody else foresee a 2005-esq season on the horizon? (Great defense, serviceable offense, IN every game)

I mean, we had Mark "Scott" Brunell at the helm, and seemingly way less talent at receiver. Obviously, Brunell was the vet, and RGIII is the rook, but looking at it in comparison, 9-7 isn't out of the question...

Am I the only person that is really sick of hearing about protection issues? I think 98% of all "analysts" look at the Buffalo game and think that it applies across the board. The last 6 weeks, despite playing 2 UFDA street free agents and a 7th round rookie, the Skins gave up 1.8 sacks per game and rushed for an average of 129 ypg. Over a full season -- that would put them in the top 10 of sacks given up and rushing offense.

Not to mention the Eagles "standout offensive line" gave up 19 more pressures than the Redskins did -- AND Jason Peters' career is likely over. So who is more likely to have protection issues?

I am glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I think the media and fans have used this "no OL" excuse for too long. The Skins problem is that have failed to score points. Alex Smith hit the turf 44 times, 3 more than the Skins OL gave up. But the 49ERS finished 13-3. Green Bay finished 15-1 and gave up 41 sacks, same as the Skins.

Any QB will get killed, if the hold the ball too long. Rex is a drive killer. Why? No pocket awareness. He gets hit, when the ball should have been gone and fumbles. Rex forces the ball when there is nothing. How many games straight did the Skins turn the ball over? These are the issues.

I strongly disagree with the "heads will roll" assertion that went along with the worst-case scenario. I really don't think Shanny's done here after only one year of RGIII.

Living in Charlotte, I can tell you that the media is still going on the "Old Dan Snyder" perception. Many think that he'll fire Shanahan if we have a sub .500 year. Is it that way in Mass? One guy here predicted (local sports for Charlotte radio) Shanahan will be fired and Rob Chudzinski (Panthers Offensive Coord) will be the head coach of either San Diego or the Redskins next season.

I'm tired of the media's perception of Dan Snyder being from 2000. He has done everything we've asked him to do.

Also, because this used to be Redskins territory, it burns them up that we have a legitimate QB this year and they are leaning hard on RG3. They deny that he'll be anything close to what their precious little Cam was last year. I for one, don't want him to be like Cam. I want him to be better.

This is how stupid they are. The afternoon "drive" guy, Marc James, said this:

1) Cam Newton has no ceiling. He'll bust right through it. In fact, he'll be a better QB than Tom Brady...(I cannot even dignify that with an answer. Just a facepalm).

and it doesn't end there. He also said:

2) The Panthers offense has more weapons than the Taliban. Really? Cam, Steve Smith and who? I mean, Cam and Steve Smith WERE the offense last year. Smith is 33. Can he really duplicate what he did last year (career year)? Tolbert a FB (only aquisition)? LaFell (what has he done?) Gettis (on the PUP?) DeAngelo Williams (washed up)? Stewart (always injured)?

These guys are more homerific than we are. They have the Panthers going 12-4, 13-3. Ridiculous. They did nothing to address their horrid D Line or their horrid secondary. One guy pointed that out and one of the announcers said, "we'll just win games 41-40." Dumbasses.

I am glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way. I think the media and fans have used this "no OL" excuse for too long. The Skins problem is that have failed to score points. Alex Smith hit the turf 44 times, 3 more than the Skins OL gave up. But the 49ERS finished 13-3. Green Bay finished 15-1 and gave up 41 sacks, same as the Skins.

Any QB will get killed, if the hold the ball too long. Rex is a drive killer. Why? No pocket awareness. He gets hit, when the ball should have been gone and fumbles. Rex forces the ball when there is nothing. How many games straight did the Skins turn the ball over? These are the issues.

He's got some pocket awareness... Rexy holding the ball too long was him trying to make something out of nothing, and feeling like he HAD to make a big play.

He had guts and would stand in there like a trooper, took some hellacious hits and always got up and tried again.

Living in Charlotte, I can tell you that the media is still going on the "Old Dan Snyder" perception. Many think that he'll fire Shanahan if we have a sub .500 year. Is it that way in Mass? One guy here predicted (local sports for Charlotte radio) Shanahan will be fired and Rob Chudzinski (Panthers Offensive Coord) will be the head coach of either San Diego or the Redskins next season.

I'm tired of the media's perception of Dan Snyder being from 2000. He has done everything we've asked him to do.

Also, because this used to be Redskins territory, it burns them up that we have a legitimate QB this year and they are leaning hard on RG3. They deny that he'll be anything close to what their precious little Cam was last year. I for one, don't want him to be like Cam. I want him to be better.

This is how stupid they are. The afternoon "drive" guy, Marc James, said this:

1) Cam Newton has no ceiling. He'll bust right through it. In fact, he'll be a better QB than Tom Brady...(I cannot even dignify that with an answer. Just a facepalm).

and it doesn't end there. He also said:

2) The Panthers offense has more weapons than the Taliban. Really? Cam, Steve Smith and who? I mean, Cam and Steve Smith WERE the offense last year. Smith is 33. Can he really duplicate what he did last year (career year)? Tolbert a FB (only aquisition)? LaFell (what has he done?) Gettis (on the PUP?) DeAngelo Williams (washed up)? Stewart (always injured)?

These guys are more homerific than we are. They have the Panthers going 12-4, 13-3. Ridiculous. They did nothing to address their horrid D Line or their horrid secondary. One guy pointed that out and one of the announcers said, "we'll just win games 41-40." Dumbasses.

I can't say I listen to sports talk radio, so I don't hear anything aside from what my friends are saying, and they're mostly knowledgeable football fans. They get it. I'm sure the morons spewing nonsense on the radio don't. Although the local media is pretty self-centered (1912 Headline: Boston man dies as ocean liner sinks [1516 others drown in tragedy]), they don't spend a lot of time predicting how well the Pats will perform. Fans do, but the media tends to report how great they are only after they've actually done something. Otherwise there's a healthy dose of "show us" that goes along with Pats football. Maybe it's the years of being so crappy.

Personally, if we can get out of the NFCE cellar I would be ECSTATIC! This should be our first and primary goal! That and going at lest 50/50 in the division.

This I agree with. These two goals are great ones for this team at this stage of rebuild.

I would be happy with 8-8....or even a losing record AS LONG AS the team shows improvement through the season, and we play teams tight week in and out. Don't think any of the main coaches (outside of maybe Haslett) are going anywhere after this season.....there is another thread on this site where Snyder speaks about Shanny and the FO. It sounds like he is very comfortable with who he has running the team, and thinks we are heading in the right direction.

My worst case scenario would be a major injury to RGIII. I think that would deflate the fan base moreso than having another losing season, but showing progress in the year.

Archived