Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Mike Sainristil CB Michigan

PCS

A couple things have stood out to me during pre draft and now. To really know if you should get a player you have to see either randy moss level highlights or you need to follow the team.  

People don't know how important Mikey was to their success the last two years and how many big plays he made that ultimately contributed to them winning a championship. Him being a receiver really gives him ball skills a lot of even really good DBs will never have.  

Another thing is SEC bias. The SEC top Dawgs aren't better than the big 10 top 2. Bowl games no longer show much because of how many guys opt out so now we have to look at out of conference wins. The age of NIL is bringing an end to the dominance of Alabama. Going above board has leveled the playing field a bit.  A guy like Sainristil is better than Forbes regardless of draft status. He was a better player who made big plays in the biggest of games. I was hoping we'd get him and the team would be fine just cherry picking the Wolverines that just won. Great team,  players who didn't come in as 5 stars, played in cold weather, and guys who can be culture setters in a way UGa or Alabama players would not understand or be able to do.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

They've already, repeatedly said they love Quan. He's going to be our deep FS and be able to rotate forward. He's about to shine like crazy for us. Quan is an advanced chess piece.

Just because our FO keys in on Branch, missed and panic and over drafted Quan doesn't make him bad. 

I think he can be the third best overhang defender after Payne and Allen. 

He's easily the best player in our secondary.

Actions speak louder than words.  If you believe in Quan as a high level FS than our secondary shouldn't be too much of a weakness and taking a slot CB in the 2nd round given our other needs doesn't make much sense.

(Quan was one of the few picks that I even sort of liked from last year's draft.  It certainly seems to me that he had the making of being a good player.  But I'm also trying to make sense of this pick in the context of putting together a team.)

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

Actions speak louder than words.  If you believe in Quan as a high level FS than our secondary shouldn't be too much of a weakness and taking a slot CB in the 2nd round given our other needs doesn't make much sense.

(Quan was one of the few picks that I really liked from last year's draft.  It certainly seems to me that he had the making of being a good player.  But I'm also trying to make sense of this pick in the context of putting together a team.)

Quan just dropped down the depth chart

59 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He's much better than Moreland gtfoh

Says the person who compared Newton to Ion Man :)

How long before we give Sainristil the nickname "The Professor?" Love this pick so much.

It's like, these are the types of players Rivera always *thought* he was drafting, but many times the supposed intangibles outweighed actual talent. AP seems to be marrying intangibles with physical ability and toughness but also football IQ.

We shall see eventually but I like the players AP has been targeting, a couple of which seem like the type SF would draft (maybe that's obvious, idk). It's a good philosophy, just need to translate to the field now. 

Edited by sinews

"I LOVE... there's a difference between love and LOVE... I LOVE this guy. This guy may be the best football player pound-for-pound in the draft." - Nick Saban

If he's maybe the best pound for pound, then maybe he's one of the top few guys you played against in 2023, Nick.

(this isn't dissing Nick on either of the statements, just to say those who thought his earlier one about best players Bama faced is also not really saying anything substantive about Michigan's guys.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sinews said:

How long before we give Sainristil the nickname "The Professor?" Love this pick so much.

I heard Doc Walker is calling him the Mean Gopher, because Doc can't remember his name and mixed up Michigan and Minnesota. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PeterMP said:

taking a slot CB in the 2nd round given our other needs doesn't make much sense.

I'm also trying to make sense of this pick in the context of putting together a team.)

Me too… me too, in fact I’m confused as to both Newton and this pick… I guess I’m just not drinking the Burgundy & Gold kool aid or the AP/DQ mixed drink 

5 hours ago, PeterMP said:

(Quan was one of the few picks that I really liked from last year's draft.  It certainly seems to me that he had the making of being a good player.  But I'm also trying to make sense of this pick in the context of putting together a team.)

This is the one pick I'm not a fan of.  This is a a Rivera type pick.  At least this is our only undersized pick in the draft.  Would have loved taken a swing on a tackle or edge in the second.  ****.  What's done is done.  

• Thumb down 4

9 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He's much better than Moreland gtfoh

Haha okay, I just said Jimmy Moreland. Didn’t say he was worse or equal. His build just reminded me of the one we called the peoples corner 

• Like 1

Excerpt from Dan Brugler's The Beast Draft Guide:

6. MIKE SAINRISTIL | Michigan 5093 | 182 lbs. | 5SR Everett, Mass. (Everett) 10/3/2000 (age 23.56) #0
BACKGROUND: Mike (Mye-key) Sainristil (SANE-ri-still), the middle child of three (older brother and younger sister), was born in Port Au Prince, Haiti and speaks
fluent Creole. Because of civil unrest following Haiti’s 2000 election, Sainristil’s parents (Carlot and Raymonde) moved the family to the United States when Sainristil
was three months old. The family settled in the Boston area, where Raymonde worked for a radio station, just as he had in Haiti. Sainristil started playing football at
the Pop Warner level for the Cyclones and continued playing through middle school. He attended Everett High School (teammates with FS Lewis Cine, TE Isaiah Likely
and DE Josiah Stewart) and became a starter immediately as a freshman, playing offense (receiver and running back), defense ( cornerback) and special teams
(returner). Sainristil helped lead Everett to back-to-back Division I state championships as a sophomore and junior. As a junior, he was named Massachusetts
Gatorade Player of the Year with 13 total touchdowns on offense and 33 tackles and four interceptions on defense. As a senio r, Sainristil again earned Gatorade
Player of the Year in the state and led Everett to 12 wins, with its lone loss coming in the 2018 state playoff semifinals. H e finished his final season with 32 catches for
792 yards (24.8 average) and 17 total touchdowns, adding six interceptions on defense. Sainristil also lettered in track at Everett and is a talented musician (plays the
violin, piano, drums and sang in the choir at Boston Missionary Baptist Church).
A three-star recruit, Sainristil was the No. 59 cornerback in the 2019 recruiting class and the No. 1 recruit in Massachusetts. After his sophomore year, he received a
scholarship offer from Boston College. Virginia Tech was next to offer him, and he committed to the Hokies in February 2018. Sainristil added offers from several
Power 5 programs, like Michigan, North Carolina, Ole Miss and Wisconsin. After a late push by the Wolverines (specifically, b y former defensive coordinator Don
Brown), Sainristil flipped to Michigan during his senior season (November 2018). He graduated early and was the No. 20 recruit in Jim Harbaugh’s 26-man 2019 class.
Sainristil signed as an “athlete” but preferred to be on offense. He played wide receiver for three seasons before the coaches moved him to cornerback for the 2022
season. Sainristil took advantage of the extra year of eligibility granted because of the pandemic and returned to Ann Arbor, so he could put another year of
defensive film together for NFL scouts. He graduated with his degree and is currently pursuing his master’s degree in social work. Sainristil accepted his invitation to
the 2024 Senior Bowl.
YEAR (GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES
2019: (13/1) 1 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 WR; 8 catches, 145 yards, 1 TD; Enrolled in January 2019
2020: (6/3) 0 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 WR; 7 catches, 82 yards, 2 TDs; Pandemic-shortened season
2021: (14/5) 5 0.0 0.0 0 0 0 WR; 21 catches, 305 yards, 2 TDs
2022: (14/11) 58 6.5 2.0 0 8 1 DB; Honorable Mention All-Big Ten; Moved to defense during 2022 spring practices; Team captain
2023: (15/15) 44 5.0 2.0 2 12 6 DB; First Team All-American; Second Team All-Big Ten; Led team in passes defended, INTs; 2 pick sixes; Captain
Total: (62/35) 108 11.5 4.0 2 20 7
HT WT HAND ARM WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP
COMBINE 5093 182 8 1/2 30 7/8 74 1/2 4.47 2.58 1.54 40 10’11” 4.01 6.99 14
PRO DAY 5092 179 8 1/2 30 3/4 74 - - - - - 4.18 6.95 - (stood on combine run, jumps, bench)
STRENGTHS: Controlled athlete with foot quickness and clean coverage transitions … former wide receiver, and it shows in the way he trac ks and aggressively attacks
the football in the air (six interceptions in 2023) … cleverly balances his eyes between quarterback and receiver to decipher route combinations … very alert in zones
… sticks to receivers in man and flagged only once in college (pass interference in the 2023 National Championship Game) … at hletic in run support to course correct
his angles on the move … low tackler and puts his helmet on the ball for knock-out opportunities … three interception returns of 70-plus yards (72, 71, 81) in 2023,
including two pick sixes (nickname growing up was “Sweetness”) … two-time team captain and described as a “player-coach” and “influencer” by the Michigan
coaching staff (for Michigan defensive backs coach Steve Clinkscale: “Mike has changed the mindset of everybody on our team. … He’s easy to be drawn to.”) … has
experience at both inside and outside cornerback (and played on kickoff and punt coverage).
WEAKNESSES: Undersized and lacks ideal height, frame and length … size will create matchup opportunities for NFL pass catchers … deep spe ed is more average than
above average by NFL standards … inconsistent jam technique when attempting to get physical at the line … savvy quarterbacks will test out his aggressive play style
and get him to bite … will prematurely leave his feet when flying downhill as a run defender, giving the runner a chance to m ake a move … needs assistance from the
calvary at times to finish tackles … will turn 24 years old during his rookie season … only played on defense for two seasons in college.
SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Michigan, Sainristil was the starting nickel in former defensive coordinator Jesse Minter’s 4 -2-5 scheme, although he also saw 22.1
percent of his 2023 snaps at outside cornerback. After spending three years on offense for the Wolverines (when he enrolled, the coaches had internal battles as to
which side of the ball he would play), Sainristil moved to defense for his final two years and was voted team MVP of the nati on’s No. 1 defense. He is a fluid and alert
athlete with a wide receiver background — one of just five FBS players with at least six interceptions in 2023 (ranked No. 2 in the FBS with 232 interception -return
yards). Though he has some overaggressive tendencies, he trusts his instincts to anticipate and properly position h imself so he can make plays, both in coverage and
versus the run. Overall, Sainristil has obvious size limitations that will remove him from some team’s draft boards, but other teams will be more than happy to bet
on his outstanding toughness, instincts and ball skills. He will compete for immediate starting reps as a rookie nickel.
GRADE: 2nd Round (No. 43 overall)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PeterMP said:

(Quan was one of the few picks that I even sort of liked from last year's draft.  It certainly seems to me that he had the making of being a good player.  But I'm also trying to make sense of this pick in the context of putting together a team.)

I’ve made my qualms here about positional value and the opportunity cost. Your point is the other piece why I don’t like this pick. Not sure how Quan, Chinn, the 5th round safety and Sainristil all fit together in some variation of a nickel role

At least they got a leader for the secondary who can direct traffic and get the scrubs like Forbes, BSJ, Butler and others in the right positions, something they apparently were missing when McCain left

Edited by method man
  • Like 1

One of my favorite players earlier in the process that I highlighted on the draft thread.  I recall though saying before the draft he's becoming so cool with the drafitniks that he felt almost uncool.   Got a ton of hype including he might go in the first.  Great player.

What hit me aside from being a baller and playhawk....ex-WR turned CB is how smart I read he is.  Would call out the opposing teams routes before they happened for his teammates.  Ands mega leader.   We haven't had too many leaders like that in the secondary.  I recall Ryan Clark back in the day was a leader. 

https://www.si.com/college/michigan/football/steve-clinkscale-michigan-football-mike-sainristil-is-a-great-leader-in-the-locker-room

Sainristil, a captain on the team, recorded an interception last week against East Carolina and graded out as one of the better defensive players on Michigan. While his play is phenomenal, and you may not find too many better nickel backs out there, it's Sainristil's leadership that propels him to even greater heights. 

On Wednesday, defensive backs coach Steve Clinkscale spoke with the media. He had some gushing things to say about the newly minted captain of the team. 

"In my opinion, you have followers, you have leaders and you have influencers.," said Clinkscale on Wednesday. "I think Mikey is an influencer. Mikey has changed the mindset of everybody on our team, not just the defensive backs. He's easy to be drawn to. If I was a player, if I wasn't Mikey, I'd be right there next to him."

"I tell the guys, hey, listen, we watched film last week and watch a guy play man defense and he made a good play. Guess who it was? It was number zero. Watch someone destroy a block. It was zero. He got beat on a play and the guy caught the ball running down the sideline, he punched it out. Sounds familiar guys? Number zero. He never stops. He's always going and going. When he makes a mistake, like I mentioned earlier, the great ones -- they correct it. He's a great guy to be around." 

Michigan lost DJ Turner and Gemon Green as veteran leaders this past offseason. Sainristil has the most experience on the team, but he is surrounded by some young, exceptional talent. Will Johnson has a chance to become an All-American at the season's end. Amorion Walker, Ja'Den McBurrows, Jyaire Hill, DJ Waller, and Cameron Calhoun are all young, raw, but extremely talented. 

Clinkscale says Sainristil is like a coach to the young guys and will watch film with them, or do anything he can do to help them become better football players. 

"He's always trying to do things with the players. He's never too busy, never. The young guys want to watch film and we may not be around or in meetings, Mikey texts them, 'hey, young guys, I'm in the building. If anyone is around let's watch film'. That's why they want to be around. He shows them just like a coach, he shows them that he cares and he loves them so that's why they always want to be around them. I love that kid. I love all our players but he's a special kid."

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2024/04/nfl-draft-2024-michigan-db-mike-sainristil-picked-by-commanders-in-second-round.html#:~:text=Known for being a quite,real-life “influencer.”

Off the field, Sainristil earned the respect of his teammates almost immediately. Known for being a quite, shy person, Sainristil preferred to let his play do the talking and operate on the peripheral. Several Michigan players said they looked up to him for guidance and leadership, while Steve Clinkscale — the team’s defensive backs coach in 2022 and ‘23 — dubbed Sainristil a real-life “influencer.”

“Mike has changed the mindset of everybody on our team, and not just the defensive backs,” Clinkscale told reporters last fall. “He’s easily to be drawn to. If I was a player and I wasn’t Mike, I would be right there next to him.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We did eff up not having Green announce him tho lolol

They were still backstage chewing Green out about how annoying he was while announcing our first pick with a soliloquy 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 10:42 AM, FrFan said:

I believe Sean would approve.

giphy(44).gif.cccc512474d962e5d8126f7884fbc3a6.gif

Another thing is while Forbes is taller, they are close to same weight.

Seems he could teach homie a thing or two.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

On 4/26/2024 at 11:06 PM, PeterMP said:

Maybe.  But it certainly seems to lock him out of a route to get playing time.  I'm also reading the pick somewhat in terms of needs and as such an indication that the secondary is a weakness vs. offense in general or edge rusher where for a 2nd round pick I would have prioritized one of those.

Drafting for need is for losers. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Drafting for need is for losers. 

Drafting for need is how we ended up with this trash roster.

29 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

giphy(44).gif.cccc512474d962e5d8126f7884fbc3a6.gif

Another thing is while Forbes is taller, they are close to same weight.

Seems he could teach homie a thing or two.

Exactly. Mikey is short, not small.

• Like 2