Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Mike Sainristil CB Michigan

PCS

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

He has the exact same arm length and wingspan as All Pro tackle Rashawn Slater.  His arms are actually longer than Morgan's.  He was a better prospect than Morgan, especially considering Morgan tore his ACL.  Sometimes there isn't a rhyme or reason for why guys with a first round profile end up on day 2.  Cosmi is one of those cases.  So is JerZhan Newton.

Slater is one example. I can’t name many tackles with 33 inch arms who are studs at the position in the example. Year after year, there are college tackles with short arms who the draft community pushes as tackles in the pros and, more often than not, they move inside. Alijah Vera Tucker is a great recent example of this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, method man said:

Slater is one example. I can’t name many tackles with 33 inch arms who are studs at the position in the example. Year after year, there are college tackles with short arms who the draft community pushes as tackles in the pros and, more often than not, they move inside. Alijah Vera Tucker is a great recent example of this.

Yeah, it’s the exception versus the rule. That’s one reason I was excited to see Coleman has 34.5 inch arms and big hands.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/brandon-coleman-2024IMG_0882.thumb.png.852777b0c42f15ba3b6863fb3b01c550.png

6 hours ago, Going Commando said:

He has the exact same arm length and wingspan as All Pro tackle Rashawn Slater.  His arms are actually longer than Morgan's.  He was a better prospect than Morgan, especially considering Morgan tore his ACL.  Sometimes there isn't a rhyme or reason for why guys with a first round profile end up on day 2.  Cosmi is one of those cases.  So is JerZhan Newton.

Slater needs to bounce back. His rookie season was his best season, and his lack of length/width becomes apparent at times when his pass protection issues crop up.

I wouldn't count Slater as a success story yet.

7 hours ago, method man said:

Russ Grimm is even better.  "It's comin' at you, Randy"

On 4/30/2024 at 10:38 AM, method man said:

There aren't many stud tackles period, but there are many more on the list of the current best tackles in the NFL with 33" arms than 36" arms.  It's overrated as a determinant of success.  Penei Sewell was the top graded OT in the NFL according to PFF, and he has 33 1/4" arms.  Braden Smith was the sixth highest graded OT, and his arm length is 32 1/4".  Bernhard Raimann was the eighth highest graded OT and his was 32 7/8.  Taylor Decker was ninth, and his arm length is 33 3/4.  Rob Havenstein has the same arm length and he was 14th in the NFL.  Zach Thom was 15th and his arm length is 33 1/4".  Slater was 17th and has already been discussed, but his arms are 33" flat.  Kaleb McGary's arms are 32 7/8 and he was tied for 20th.

That's eight of the top 20 OTs in the league last season with less than 34" arms.

Arm length isn't going to hold Cosmi back from playing tackle.  He got moved inside because we lost Scherff and signed Wylie.  He played RT as a rookie and was good.  He only struggled at RT in year two because he played most of the season hurt and got moved back and forth on a line that had to constantly shuffle personnel due to injury.  Good linemen are good linemen, and he has spent more of his career at tackle than guard.  If we didn't have Wylie, he'd probably be playing tackle still.  And if Wylie gets hurt, there is a good chance he'll have to kick back outside to tackle unless Coleman is ready to play as a rookie.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

There aren't many stud tackles period, but there are many more on the list of the current best tackles in the NFL with 33" arms than 36" arms.  It's overrated as a determinant of success.  Penei Sewell was the top graded OT in the NFL according to PFF, and he has 33 1/4" arms.  Braden Smith was the sixth highest graded OT, and his arm length is 32 1/4".  Bernhard Raimann was the eighth highest graded OT and his was 32 7/8.  Taylor Decker was ninth, and his arm length is 33 3/4.  Rob Havenstein has the same arm length and he was 14th in the NFL.  Zach Thom was 15th and his arm length is 33 1/4".  Slater was 17th and has already been discussed, but his arms are 33" flat.  Kaleb McGary's arms are 32 7/8 and he was tied for 20th.

That's eight of the top 20 OTs in the league last season with less than 34" arms.

Arm length isn't going to hold Cosmi back from playing tackle.  He got moved inside because we lost Scherff and signed Wylie.  He played RT as a rookie and was good.  He only struggled at RT in year two because he played most of the season hurt and got moved back and forth on a line that had to constantly shuffle personnel due to injury.  Good linemen are good linemen, and he has spent more of his career at tackle than guard.  If we didn't have Wylie, he'd probably be playing tackle still.  And if Wylie gets hurt, there is a good chance he'll have to kick back outside to tackle unless Coleman is ready to play as a rookie.

The first sentence is statistically an unfair statement to make. There aren't many tackles with 36+ inch arms period.

If one is to succeed in the NFL at tackle with 33 inch arms, that player's technique has to be very good to excellent because the margin for error for making a technical error is lower. 

• Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)

No one has one bad word to say about Mike Saninristil. When Alabama creates their offensive strategy around avoiding Sainristil, you know he is for real. Saban called him the best player in the whole draft. And definitely Saban is not known for lauding players who don't go to Alabama. Heart and soul of the best defense in college football last year. 

I am really pumped about some of the players in this draft.  I feel like we got a steal here, the more I hear about this guy. Hopefully he continues to play big for us like he did for Michigan. 

Edited by skinsmania123
  • Like 3

On 4/29/2024 at 8:52 AM, Going Commando said:

They traded down for Sainristil though.  If they'd seriously been considering him at 36 and felt nervous about losing him, they would have picked him at 40.  I think we played it perfectly and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the trade was announced on the TV.  Admittedly, I don't love that the Eagles got DeJean from it, but a trade back from 40 into the 50s after getting a high upside faller at 36 is the exact scenario we had been hoping for in the draft thread for months.  We just didn't know who the faller would be.

The surprising thing for me was the compensation.  I didn't expect to get a second pick in the 50s.  I thought the compensation would be an extra third rounder, and hadn't considered that we could use the Sam Howell third to get up into the 50s a second time.  I think Philly was the only team where that could have been an option.  So let's say the compensation had instead been something like 51 and 84 (from Pittsburgh), or 50 and 83 (from Philly without the repositioning), we would have missed out on Sinnott.  Those wouldn't have been terrible trades, we still could have drafted something like Sainristil + Christian Haynes/Blake Corum + Roman Wilson/Zak Zinter.  Just go all out on Michigan players.  But Sainristil + Sinnott feels pretty good.

Most places have us committing a pretty big reach on Sinnott, but I don't agree with that.  He was 58 on my board.  I think Sinnott was heavily underrated by draftniks this year, and I've actually done pretty well with my TE rankings and spotting gems over the years.  He was pretty firmly TE2 for me, and there was a 20 spot drop to TE3 in JaTavion Sanders, which honestly could have been way bigger since he didn't get picked until the beginning of the fourth round.  IMO Tip Reiman was the big reach.  So if you accept that Sinnott and Sainristil were taken at a proper range (which I do), our second round played out pretty close to ideal for us.

It kind of depends how close you had Sinnott to the rest of that pack TE's ranked 3-5 on most boards (Bell, Sinnott, Sanders, and Stover were my guys, other people had some others up there): I think the answer, at least for me is this:

Did you like Sinnott more than the rest to the same degree you liked Bowers more than anyone else? If so, then its fine, if not, it isn't. I hadn't dug into this until today, but TE went like this in a relevant sense (guys that have a reasonable chance of contributing:

TE1: Went in Mid 1st

Tier Drop

TE2: Sinnott, goes in later mid/late 2nd

Tier Drop

TE3: wtf guy I didn't even have under consideration goes in the mid to late 3rd.

Tier Drop

TE's 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 go in the following 26 picks or so (the definition of a run on a position)

If you were in love with Sinnott, well, you would run the risk of him going before that 4th round run if you didn't take him at 53 or 67 (which is why I think we were talking trade but didn't), but if you had him pretty close to TE's 2-9 on your board (or 3-9 if you had Sinnott two), well, no reason to take him, the run didn't start for nearly 50 more picks. You could've waited, if you were fine with JT, or Stover or Bell or one of the other dudes.

For me, I would've preferred waiting, there were too many defensive guys, RB's and WR's I liked, I would have definitely done the rumored jets trade instead. That being said, I dont really think Sinnott was making it to the run in the early 4th, I think he was going somewhere between the early 50's and the early 70s. We picked him where we did to lock that in, because Im guessing we had those other guys clearly a tier drop below. I didn't, but we apparently did, which is fine, of the TE's drafted in recent years, he fits snugly in that group of guys I tended to like taken between 40-100 in a lot of drafts, I just hope he turns out much better than guys like Ian Thomas, Adam Trautman, Kahale Warring etc that I really liked and didn't do squat (and I think he will). 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

Saban called him the best player in the whole draft.

He said that?

I hated Saban as an analyst during the draft. He’s too smart. I like to think that I know at least a little something about football, but he made it pretty clear that I don’t actually know ****. I’m a high school dropout and he has a PhD… Also might explain why all that **** I was talking in the quarterback thread didn’t come true. 

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

He said that?

I hated Saban as an analyst during the draft. He’s too smart. I like to think that I know at least a little something about football, but he made it pretty clear that I don’t actually know ****. I’m a high school dropout and he has a PhD… Also might explain why all that **** I was talking in the quarterback thread didn’t come true. 

Yeah, he did say that about him.  I don't care for Saban as a person.  He can be salty, and he is just not complementary. It made me look closer at Saninristil. 

You know plenty about football. The guy just may be a miserable horse's ass. LOL!

On 5/1/2024 at 8:25 PM, Koolblue13 said:

How is every ****ing thread a OL thread? We have one of those.

lol

I guess post-draft, "o-line thread migration" has replaced "qb thread migration" as the new flavor of the season, (at least until Jayden actually gets in a game and throws his first interception 😄).

The craziest thing is that this is a thread about a nickle corner-- how it morphed into o-line talk is completely beyond me. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

I don't care for Saban as a person.  He can be salty, and he is just not complementary.

He’s not warm and fuzzy. His dad was a much bigger ass though. I actually played against a team coached by the elder Saban back in 2002. He was like 100 at that point. Our coach told us that if there was ever going to be a game where we got into an all out brawl, make it that one because he was pretty sure he could whip old Lou.

But if Nick said that about Sainristil, that holds a lot of weight. Dude knows what he’s looking at and what he’s talking about.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's 5'8" with 36" arms? That's wild.

My mind is boggled. That's almost impossible to imagine.

He can just about touch his toes while standing up straight, without having to bend his waist.

Maybe he's the next step in human evolution from homo sapiens to homo superior.

Wow!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/29/2024 at 12:25 PM, Going Commando said:

I understand the hedge on Kirk.  He's going to be 36 years old and making a comeback from a career killer injury.  What I don't really understand is why he was such a high demand FA in the first place.  What about his situation seemed to justify 40 and 50 million dollar cap hits?  Everyone was acting like he was coming off the 2022 season instead of 2023, and nobody questioned his deal at the time.

After the Penix pick, it's clear that Atlanta very much questions his ability to come back.  So why did they give him the deal in the first place?  They were always going to be in position to draft Michael Penix Jr.

It smacks of wasteful desperation stemming from an uncertain ownership situation.  It seems like they had a mandate from Arthur Blank to go all in for a SB because he's 81 and has had prostate cancer before.

A hedge makes sense, but not a QB selection at 8. Penix was an injury riddled over age college QB that I thought would be a steal in round 2 or 3 back in January due to the medical history and his age, even when people stopped crapping on his BCS Title Game performance (which I felt was ridiculous) I still figured the earliest he'd go was 13 to the raiders and if not to them, he'd tumble into the 20-40 zone. Him going 8 was beyond asinine. He's overage, and consistently was hurt in college AND he has a lot of wholes as a prospect (even in a more typical draft in recent years, he strikes me as a guy who would have gone in the Jordan Love zone w/a better medical history, and younger age: but he's old, and has that medical history. Him going where he went struck me as insane). 

My perception on where made sense, given the profiles:

Tier 1:

1.01: Caleb Williams

Tier 2:

1.02 Drake Maye

Tier 3:

1.03 Jayden Daniels

Tier 4:

15-35: JJ

20-50: Michael Penix

25-40: Bo Nix 

JJ going higher, due to age and some interesting metrics wouldn't surprise me, going after Penix and 10th instead of in that 4-6 zone shocked me, Penix going at 8 was totally insane, and Nix going with Denver's pick was borderline crazy pills stupid alongside the Penix insanity.

All I could think coming out of that was man must Atlanta and Denver absolutely loathe the '25 class (or in Denver's case, perhaps they're totally delusional about where they're likely to pick next year (1st-10th zone). 

On 4/30/2024 at 7:34 AM, Warhead36 said:

Most people were reporting there was a big drop off after around 65 or so, so it was real good to juice our pick in the 70s to 53.

Heard the same, but there are always values available. Like everyone I'm nervous about Troy Franklin, but in round 3 Troy Franklin became a value, and in round 4 he became a steal, there were other guys like Franklin who fell as well....So, while I think that's generally true, you can still pick off the fallers....  

On 4/30/2024 at 4:37 AM, OtisDriftwood25 said:

I prefer Sainristil and Sinnott. Dejean may have been more value but Sinnott was such a big need. Some of these big boards are people repeating information they heard. For example the Texas tight end was supposed to be second best tight end and he went 5th round. Some people had Johnny Wilson 80th overall and he doubled that. All the respected draft followers here had Sinnott in the 50-60 range. You add in that it was our second biggest need behind LT then it’s definitely not a reach.

This is a good example. I like Sinnott, but do I like Sinnott that much better than the other guys who didnt go until the TE run in round 4? Nope. I like Sinnott, but not that much. Hopefully he proves to be as good as they think but if he's just our version of Kyle Juschyk (spelling), it wasn't remotely worth that. 

36 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

My perception on where made sense, given the profiles:

Tier 1:

1.01: Caleb Williams

Tier 2:

1.02 Drake Maye

Tier 3:

1.03 Jayden Daniels

I think the draft process has proven that perception/profile outcome to be flawed. It was more like 

1a Caleb Williams

1b Jayden Daniels

3 Drake Maye

On 4/29/2024 at 11:40 PM, CommanderInTheRye said:

Yes. Two players vs one.

I think this is a case where both teams made intelligent decisions that benefit their individual circumstances.

In our situation (a rebuilding team bereft of talent with only a longshot playoff chance next year) it made sense to go for two very good players and potentially improve two  positions on a team with loads of weaknesses.

Whereas the Eagles, in their situation (a team with a great roster, few holes, and a legitimate chance to contend for a championship next year) it made much more sense to go for one potentially great player, that on his own, could conceivably be a difference maker. 

Yep. When people were melting down in the moment last Friday night that was precisely what I was arguing. The Eagles, because of their team building strategy post 2015/2016, have not only built a powerhouse roster, but have also built a huge collection of assets in draft capital which has allowed them to move both up and down within drafts golden loom style as they have fewer positional group needs, and way more draft capital than most teams, both good and bad. They could afford to trade their draft capital at a loss because #1 their roster build since '15-'16 has built a perennial contender with 3 double digit win seasons and 2 super bowl apperances in their past 7 seasons and 6 of 7 seasons they've finished above .500. They had 9 picks this year, 9 next year, and have had extra picks going back several years in primo spots. 

We're a team that traditionally traded up under Snyder, and NEVER traded out. So acquiring extra picks was virtually always a product of crappy compensatory allowances. Now, after the bottoming out of yet another failed administration following the disasters of Allen/McLoughan and Gruden, Allen and Shanny and Cerrato and Zorn), we lacked top end talent, quality starters, and deep or adequate bench options at every single position group save maybe DT. We were not remotely in the position to say no to quality trade offers for DB's that were favored prospects by some. Not remotely. The Eagles were. We were not. That also, not coincidentally, is why I am annoyed we werent able to trade down with the Jets as rumored from the Sinnott pick. The move down, if possible, would have definitely been the better move in my view.

It's important to note when you look at Philly and us, how opposite are directions were since we jousted for a playoff spot in December of '15. While Philly ventured forward, playing quality to fantastic football in all but one of their seasons, we've been garbage ever since (peaking at 8 win seasons a couple of times, nearly always .500 or worse, cratering in '19 and '23 entirely). Teams like ours w/o the forward looking approach of Philly have to act with manacles around our feet in terms of flexibility until we can climb our way out of this whole. That is also one of the reasons I was bummed we didn't acquire any '25 draft capital (we aren't getting any compensatories next year) but considering what happened last week, its reasonable to imagine that if the opportunity presents itself, we will move down anyway). 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

I think the draft process has proven that perception/profile outcome to be flawed. It was more like 

1a Caleb Williams

1b Jayden Daniels

3 Drake Maye

I'm talking mine, not the league consensus. Which is how and why I think Penix at 8 and Nix at 12 or whatever was insane. 

• Like 1