Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Mike Sainristil CB Michigan

PCS

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Drafting for need is for losers. 

I'm sorry, but the best teams in the league heavily consider need when they draft, especially in the 1st 2 rounds where you should be able to get guys that can contribute right away.  They don't force picks solely on need, but they move up and down the draft board to put themselves in positions where a position that they need is a reasonable pick, and then draft taking need into consideration.

There's a reason that teams like the Eagles and Chiefs are so active in draft day trades.

Rookie contracts are too valuable to have a guy that can play whose playing time is blocked/limited because you have other players at that position.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Drafting for need is how we ended up with this trash roster.

No.  We drafted stupidly.  I don't understand how anybody can look at last year's draft where we took DBs in the 1st and 2nd round when we clearly needed offensive lineman/offensive skill players and say we drafted for need.  And there were players that look like they are pretty good players that would of fit needs when we drafted last year.

A TE like Kincaid or LaPorta would have fit a need (giving a young QB another weapon and a big targer), and I suspect will end up being better players than Forbes.  There are also some OL that were drafted after our pick that look like ok players.

Edited by PeterMP

On 4/27/2024 at 4:36 PM, danielcommanders said:

This is the one pick I'm not a fan of.  This is a a Rivera type pick.  At least this is our only undersized pick in the draft.  Would have loved taken a swing on a tackle or edge in the second.  ****.  What's done is done.  

I'm nervous about his size too, but it'll come down to scheme whether or not that becomes a big issue.  If we leave him in man coverage on big receivers like Del Rio would, then yeah it could be a problem.  But I expect this staff to be smarter about designing coverages, and to use him in off coverages and zones.

Size didn't limit him in run support.  He is a great tackler and an extremely physical player.  He's in the mold of Tyrann Mathieu and Asante Samuel Jr, and these kinds of DBs can be gems.  He also has leadership potential to be the kind of air traffic controller in the middle that is one of our biggest needs.

Our secondary has a ton of good young players that are waiting to break out.  Sainristil might be the best one of all of them.  It would not shock me if he is a really good player as a rookie, and quickly takes over the leadership of the defense.  I get a very strong Terry McLaurin vibe from him.

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

Brugler

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 7.39.46 AM.png

5 hours ago, Going Commando said:

Our secondary has a ton of good young players that are waiting to break out.  Sainristil might be the best one of all of them.  It would not shock me if he is a really good player as a rookie, and quickly takes over the leadership of the defense.  I get a very strong Terry McLaurin vibe from him.

Big time.

I heard that he ran routes at Michigan's proday and looked crisper than their starting receivers.  He'd call out the routes during games of the opposing offense.

He's a special player.  One of my favs in the process.  I had some doubts though at the end he'd bit a fit to this defense, smaller CB who majors in zone.

But clearly they think he is.  Peters said they took him to dinner in the process to get to know him.  He's the one player digesting all the post draft narratives in the press conferences that this regime specifically targeted in the 2nd round.

Sounds like what happened was that was their top target unti Newton dropped and then wanted both and got them.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I heard that he ran routes at Michigan's proday and looked crisper than their starting receivers.  He'd call out the routes during games of the opposing offense.

Peters said that. They watched his pro day, was the most impressive player on defence, then flipped to run routes and was the best at that :ols:

• Haha 1

Not to open a can of worms but taking the best player on the board and not addressing need, is why Chase Young was our pick vs addressing a glaring team need spanning 20 years... quarterback.  Sure seems like taking BPA also led us to over drafting on the DL and neglecting glaring needs on the OL. Falcons taking their highest ranked best player QB ignoring needs, sure seemed to be the laughing stock of the draft.

A GMs draft board is built factoring needs. There are no blind runs on positions. It's GMs addressing glaring needs as a priority. In this draft many panic took OTs because they need them and that's why Newton dropped into our laps.

Back OT I am excited to see Sainristil because he plays physical and we should hear of great battles vs Luke in camp. LOL at the comparisons to Jimmy "I'll improvise to get INTs to catch the coaches eye in camp" Moreland. He only caught fans eyes and lame ducks from the QBs.

Edited by RandyHolt

I don’t know if Sain plays the nickel a whole lot this year. I think Mike Davis was brought in for that and he is one of the best nickel CBs in pro football.

I am kind of curious, though… I think they may use Sain as a safety at times and roll him down. I think Sain is incredibly intelligent and reads quickly and breaks quickly and violently. So while I think he is a nickel CB and we will see him some there, I’m kind of wondering if they think he may be a high safety at times and Quan isn’t and will be more of a slot CB.

I’m interested to see how creative they can get.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Not to open a can of worms but taking the best player on the board and not addressing need, is why Chase Young was our pick vs addressing a glaring team need spanning 20 years... quarterback.  Sure seems like taking BPA also led us to over drafting on the DL and neglecting glaring needs on the OL. Falcons taking their highest ranked best player QB ignoring needs, sure seemed to be the laughing stock of the draft.

A GMs draft board is built factoring needs. There are no blind runs on positions. It's GMs addressing glaring needs as a priority. In this draft many panic took OTs because they need them and that's why Newton dropped into our laps.

Back OT I am excited to see Sainristil because he plays physical and we should hear of great battles vs Luke in camp. LOL at the comparisons to Jimmy "I'll improvise to get INTs to catch the coaches eye in camp" Moreland. He only caught fans eyes and lame ducks from the QBs.

Need plays a factor, but the point is you don't pass up on super talented players to get a guy who might only end up being average because he fills a short term need. At the end of the day, rosters fluctuate quite a bit in the NFL and a position that looks strong one year can be a dire need in 2 years.

E.g. the Eagles didn't need a DT when they took Jalen Carter last year, but he was just too talented to pass up. Now Fletcher Cox has retired and Carter can slide right in as full time starter perfectly.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know if Sain plays the nickel a whole lot this year. I think Mike Davis was brought in for that and he is one of the best nickel CBs in pro football.

I am kind of curious, though… I think they may use Sain as a safety at times and roll him down. I think Sain is incredibly intelligent and reads quickly and breaks quickly and violently. So while I think he is a nickel CB and we will see him some there, I’m kind of wondering if they think he may be a high safety at times and Quan isn’t and will be more of a slot CB.

I’m interested to see how creative they can get.

Isn’t Mike Davis supposed to be a physical outside corner? I thought Samuel Jr has been their slot CB

24 minutes ago, method man said:

Isn’t Mike Davis supposed to be a physical outside corner? I thought Samuel Jr has been their slot CB

He was an outside corner.  According to PFF he played 774 snaps at outside corner, 81 snaps inside the box, and 19 snaps at slot corner.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, method man said:

Just now, philibusters said:

He was an outside corner.  According to PFF he played 774 snaps at outside corner, 81 snaps inside the box, and 19 snaps at slot corner.

He was.

But imo he's a better slot corner.

Of course, perhaps Davis playing outside is a clue into what our FO is thinking. Maybe that's where they see him. Him + Noah I + Holmes growth + Forbes growth + St Juste changes the CB landscape a bit. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sounds like what happened was that was their top target unti Newton dropped and then wanted both and got them.

They traded down for Sainristil though.  If they'd seriously been considering him at 36 and felt nervous about losing him, they would have picked him at 40.  I think we played it perfectly and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the trade was announced on the TV.  Admittedly, I don't love that the Eagles got DeJean from it, but a trade back from 40 into the 50s after getting a high upside faller at 36 is the exact scenario we had been hoping for in the draft thread for months.  We just didn't know who the faller would be.

The surprising thing for me was the compensation.  I didn't expect to get a second pick in the 50s.  I thought the compensation would be an extra third rounder, and hadn't considered that we could use the Sam Howell third to get up into the 50s a second time.  I think Philly was the only team where that could have been an option.  So let's say the compensation had instead been something like 51 and 84 (from Pittsburgh), or 50 and 83 (from Philly without the repositioning), we would have missed out on Sinnott.  Those wouldn't have been terrible trades, we still could have drafted something like Sainristil + Christian Haynes/Blake Corum + Roman Wilson/Zak Zinter.  Just go all out on Michigan players.  But Sainristil + Sinnott feels pretty good.

Most places have us committing a pretty big reach on Sinnott, but I don't agree with that.  He was 58 on my board.  I think Sinnott was heavily underrated by draftniks this year, and I've actually done pretty well with my TE rankings and spotting gems over the years.  He was pretty firmly TE2 for me, and there was a 20 spot drop to TE3 in JaTavion Sanders, which honestly could have been way bigger since he didn't get picked until the beginning of the fourth round.  IMO Tip Reiman was the big reach.  So if you accept that Sinnott and Sainristil were taken at a proper range (which I do), our second round played out pretty close to ideal for us.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think we’d have been taking Patrick Paul at #36 or #40

Newton was then too good to pass on, as was the Eagles trade offer. 

15 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

They traded down for Sainristil though.  If they'd seriously been considering him at 36 and felt nervous about losing him, they would have picked him at 40.  I think we played it perfectly and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the trade was announced on the TV.  Admittedly, I don't love that the Eagles got DeJean from it, but a trade back from 40 into the 50s after getting a high upside faller at 36 is the exact scenario we had been hoping for in the draft thread for months.  We just didn't know who the faller would be.

The surprising thing for me was the compensation.  I didn't expect to get a second pick in the 50s.  I thought the compensation would be an extra third rounder, and hadn't considered that we could use the Sam Howell third to get up into the 50s a second time.  I think Philly was the only team where that could have been an option.  So let's say the compensation had instead been something like 51 and 84 (from Pittsburgh), or 50 and 83 (from Philly without the repositioning), we would have missed out on Sinnott.  Those wouldn't have been terrible trades, we still could have drafted something like Sainristil + Christian Haynes/Blake Corum + Roman Wilson/Zak Zinter.  Just go all out on Michigan players.  But Sainristil + Sinnott feels pretty good.

Most places have us committing a pretty big reach on Sinnott, but I don't agree with that.  He was 58 on my board.  I think Sinnott was heavily underrated by draftniks this year, and I've actually done pretty well with my TE rankings and spotting gems over the years.  He was pretty firmly TE2 for me, and there was a 20 spot drop to TE3 in JaTavion Sanders, which honestly could have been way bigger since he didn't get picked until the beginning of the fourth round.  IMO Tip Reiman was the big reach.  So if you accept that Sinnott and Sainristil were taken at a proper range (which I do), our second round played out pretty close to ideal for us.

Sure, I know they traded down.  But like when they targeted Guice in the 2nd years back.  In both cases, they felt he would still be there.  And of course there is always a backup plan if they aren't there.

I agree about Sinnott.  He made my guys list so one of my top 20 favorite players.  I have done well with TEs myself including having Laporta on my last years my guys list and I liked him early in the process before he became cool.  Sinnott for whatever reason never became cool with the draftniks unlike Laporta. 

I wasn't high on Reiman, rated him if I recall as a 6th rounder.  I went deep into TE evaluations as I typically do.

Edit:  I get the point which is they were unlikely targeting him at 36.  Agree, clearly not.  But it came off as to the post draft talk, they wanted that player in the 2nd at some point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

QB is different, it doesn't get considered on a BPA rubric.  You only ever need one QB, unless your QB is an aging legend and you need a succession plan.  The reason the Falcons are getting roasted for the Penix Jr pick is because people thought they already had a plan out QB figured out, and then they cast that plan in total doubt by drafting a top ten QB.  Hedging so hard on their bet on Kirk begs the question of why make the bet on Kirk in the first place?

Picking all of those stud DLs was not the problem with our drafts 2017-2020.  Those guys were most of the only good players we got from those classes, and they actually make a strong case for drafting BPA.  We got Pro-bowlers from all of those picks.  Chase was the only first round pick Ron Rivera didn't reach on, and he was the only one of the four who had any kind of impact in his time here.  You want to know what the problem with those draft classes was?  Look at the Day 2 and early Day 3 picks.  That's what you get from reaching. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excited to watch more clips of him. His size yet style of play are so intriguing. Caught a fair number of Mich games as they were the top team and always on natl' tv. All i can say is this guy was always jumping off the screen and making plays. 

I've also heard a lot about his stellar leadership on and off the field. I have a feeling he makes a quick impact and sees his way on the field early, size be damned. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think we’d have been taking Patrick Paul at #36 or #40

Newton was then too good to pass on, as was the Eagles trade offer. 

I liked Paul as you did.  I know he's a project but decent pass protector and his length is sick.

I watched Coleman casually, I got to rewatch him.  I was aware during the process that he has freakish measurables. Suuposedly played better in 2022, in 2023 I heard he played the season with a high ankle sprain.  Good wingspan, massive hands.  Great athlete.

Brugler is really high on him.  He tells the narrative of him spending time in Germany among other things.   Seems like an interesting dude.  Peters talked about liking his meeting with him -- that was one of their 30 proday visits. 

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 12.01.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 12.03.50 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Need plays a factor, but the point is you don't pass up on super talented players to get a guy who might only end up being average because he fills a short term need. At the end of the day, rosters fluctuate quite a bit in the NFL and a position that looks strong one year can be a dire need in 2 years.

E.g. the Eagles didn't need a DT when they took Jalen Carter last year, but he was just too talented to pass up. Now Fletcher Cox has retired and Carter can slide right in as full time starter perfectly.

If a guy that is super talented is available at a pick, then that should increase the value of the pick and other teams should be willing to trade that much more for it.

This is a complete misreading of the Eagles needs last year.

The previous year the Eagles had to sign Linval Joseph and Suh as FA during the season. Their DT position was so weak that in Nov., they had to sign 2 older DTs off the street.  And they weren't planning on bringing either one of them back.

In the Super Bowl Suh and Joseph combined for 21 snaps.  And Hargrave who played 42 snaps left (only 3 less than Cox), signing as FA with 49ers in March.  The Eagles lost 3 DTs that offseason that all significant playing time in the Super Bowl.  The Eagles could see Jordan Davis' role grow and still have enough snaps left over to easily justify drafting a DT high in the draft.

DT was a need for them in that draft.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

one thing I see in this guy's highlights is how people just bounce off this dude and get floored.  I do not know how he does it.

He's got the spirit of Sean Taylor in him......he's gonna be special!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

If a guy that is super talented is available at a pick, then that should increase the value of the pick and other teams should be willing to trade that much more for it.

Who is to say we didn't try to trade down? Maybe nobody offered enough value to justify giving up on such a talent?

People always like to shout "WE SHOULD HAVE TRADED DOWN", but it takes two to tango. We also tried to trade up for a T, but couldn't make a good deal. You can't point a gun at anyone and force a trade.

I don't believe in making trades just for the sake of making a trade. You want to maximize your assets.

We ended up trading down from 40 using your exact logic and got great value. Its likely we wanted to do the same at 36 but didn't get the value we wanted to justify passing up on a highly regarded talent.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

one thing I see in this guy's highlights is how people just bounce off this dude and get floored.  I do not know how he does it.

He gets to the outside hip.  That's how you stop forward momentum when you hit someone from an angle.