Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois

PCS

So… Newton is essentially a guy they drafted for next year, then?

I mean I kinda get it given the talent level and where we got him. But it shines the light on several OL prospects that were in the same ballpark talent wise not being the selection.

Definitely takes some balls to do.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean I kinda get it given the talent level and where we got him. But it shines the light on several OL prospects that were in the same ballpark talent wise not being the selection.

Not happy about this news at all. Keeps getting worse.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, KDawg said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7219008/

I think the proposed 4 week timeline from this article is aggressive,  but he should be ready for the start of the season. A jones fracture is an easy fix, and does not tend to be a recurrent issue. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

I think the proposed 4 week timeline from this article is aggressive,  but he should be ready for the start of the season. A jones fracture is an easy fix, and does not tend to be a recurrent issue. 

I'm no orthopod but having the same fracture in both feet at the same time seems unusual. 

Hope you're right about having him ready for the season, although he'll still need to get into game shape which will be hard to do while wearing a boot.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

@TheShredder, if they do the same surgery on the other foot is he likely done for the majority of the season?

Not at all. 

He had surgery in January and his Pro Day was in April. We all assumed that him being in a boot was the surgically repair drumstick.  So he healed from this same thing in 4 months. Every reason to expect the same results on the other side. He needs to 'heel only' weight bearing until it's completely closed. Everybody is different, but we already know his timeline. 

Edited by TheShredder
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I wouldn't discount the concern about both feet having Jones Fractures, however that's not bad if you think about it. 

He got those fractures from pushing guys into the ground with great force...that's what you want. He's a beast! 

We also know he heals from this surgery in 4 months because he just did it. 

I don't think it's a IR thing.  Maybe a PUP List thing possibly but from recent history we know he can be back on the field by September.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

I wouldn't discount the concern about both feet having Jones Fractures, however that's not bad if you think about it. 

He got those fractures from pushing guys into the ground with great force...that's what you want. He's a beast! 

I don't think it's a IR thing.  Maybe a PUP List thing possibly but from recent history we know he can be back on the field by September.

Four months of your rookie year from May to September means he won't have had training camp.

May not totally limit his ability, but he will certainly have limitations in training... and he just did it with the other foot. 

I think he'll play. And probably be okay, at least at some point this year. 

But he won't be fully effective until 2025.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

9 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

4 weeks is an extremely optimistic timeline for this kind of surgery. 6 weeks seems to be at the short end and ‘several months’ at the thick end. 

He certainly has a shot to be physically ready for the start of the season but that’s far from certain. But even if he is available he will likely have a missed a lot of camp and preseason - he is probably not going to be ready for much playing time early in the season.

It is what it is, but if he had this medical concern him dropping in the draft is starting to make more sense.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

This kind of procedure needs 3 to 4 months of rest, eventhough he'll probably recover faster I doubt he'll be ready to go for season opener. Most important thing is that his feet will be fixed for good, and do not rush the recovery process.

Edited by FrFan
  • Sad 1

I hope they don't rush him back. That 4 week timeline sounds bonkers. Let him rest for 3-4 months until he's fully healed and then, if everyone agrees, phase him in gradually. Him being on the field this year isn't the difference between going to the playoffs or not. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

19 hours ago, TheShredder said:

This could be what saves Mathis. Not ideal but having the extra roster spot for a few weeks may help a bit with juggling DL roster spots

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

So this dude was that good with bad feet? That's awesome. He is going to be so ****ing good in the future. 

Now that, dear friends, is the true power of positive rhinking!

You are my kinda guy KB13!

I was reading all these worse and "worserer" injury recovery time posts, and feeling down and "downerer" after each one.

Then your post popped up, and it was like mainlining Colt 45 directly past the blood brain barrier and right into my neocortex-- spirits completely lifted! 👍 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Now that, dear friends, is the true power of positive rhinking!

You are my kinda guy KB13!

I was reading all these worse and "worserer" injury recovery time posts, and feeling down and "downerer" after each one.

Then your post popped up, and it was like mainlining Colt 45 directly past the blood brain barrier and right into my neocortex-- spirits completely lifted! 👍 

Most fans are morons and we've been trash for 30 years. This dude is going to have a rememberale career with our jersey on.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

My favorite Jerzhan Newton factoid is that he had 104 tackles, 30 TFLs, and 16 sacks as a high school Senior.  Those are the stats I'd get from playing Madden on rookie with the blocking sliders turned down.  One of the most underrated talents in defensive linemen is the ability to find the football--playing through your match ups is the meta game, not just beating the blocks in front of you--and Newton is about as good as it gets at this.  I've been thinking of him as a Javon Hargrave type of DL, but I think he might be better given how ridiculous his individual production is.  I think he's a mini Derrick Brown/Jonathan Allen.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So we have a study by the Library of Medicine which referenced 25 college athletes and the conclusion was return to play in 3.6 weeks on average. We have this very player who had surgery in January but was ready for a pro-day on  April 16, which is more like 3 months depending on when in January the first surgery took place.  So anywhere from 3.6 weeks to a little over 3 months is what it looks like to me.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

Posted (edited)

Newtons Jones fracture is minor. He will be ready for camp. And it wont be a chronic issue. We stole the player where we got him. We are talking about the Big 10 player of the year here. He blocks kicks as well. The guy is a straight up beast. 

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2024 at 3:44 PM, KDawg said:

He is the eventual replacement for either Allen or Payne. 

If you’re talking about balls, we can’t compare to Atlanta. Giving Kirk 180 million and 100 million gauranteed and then drafting Pennix at #8 in round 1.

11 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

He is the eventual replacement for either Allen or Payne. 

If you’re talking about balls, we can’t compare to Atlanta. Giving Kirk 180 million and 100 million gauranteed and then drafting Pennix at #8 in round 1.

Difference between balls and whatever it is Atlanta did.

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

I hope they don't rush him back. That 4 week timeline sounds bonkers. Let him rest for 3-4 months until he's fully healed and then, if everyone agrees, phase him in gradually. Him being on the field this year isn't the difference between going to the playoffs or not. 

Absolutely. 

There's more to it because there's something in his play that needs to be mediated with custom cleats and insols as well as technical tweaks.  Those foot guys know their business! 

This is not a big deal IMO. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2