Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinois

PCS

22 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

If he blew up the combine and ran thev40 at say a legit 4.77, plus  did the cone stuff, the shuttles, the high jumps,  verticals et al, and was equally adept at them, I predict thatvwith his established pedigree, and the resulting praise he'd get as an athletic freak from the talking heads on tv that he likely goes no later than the mid 20s.

Their loss is our gain.

Steal of the draft.

100%. I say he’s a better prospect than Daron Payne was years ago. Daron ran a good 40 but his other numbers were pretty Meh. Also Daron had basically 1 year of production.

I see them using 3 man line with Luvu, Davis, Armstrong playing edge on some downs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

100%. I say he’s a better prospect than Daron Payne was years ago. Daron ran a good 40 but his other numbers were pretty Meh. Also Daron had basically 1 year of production.

I see them using 3 man line with Luvu, Davis, Armstrong playing edge on some downs. 

Yes! By all rights Davis and Luvu should excel in this situation. Really exciting to see how this whole aggressive defensive play style will transform the team from last years vanilla bean

• Like 2

I didn't like the pick that much when it was made because I didn't feel it was a need, due to Allen and Payne, but I appreciate reading this thread. Seems like he was too good to pass up.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I didn't like the pick that much when it was made because I didn't feel it was a need, due to Allen and Payne, but I appreciate reading this thread. Seems like he was too good to pass up.

Feeling the same here, definitely not a need imho when DL was in all honestly this teams strength and to be honest I know he was probably to good to pass up but at this time this team isn’t good enough to be drafting from a position of that, we needed to address the OL with more then a project in Coleman from TCU after all we got this new shiny toy we took 2nd over all and we need to protect him at all/any cost… the last I saw Newton no matter how great he becomes won’t be available for that ….

Drafting Newton to me is like going to Home Depot needing Sheetrock and spackle along with Paint cause you added a extra bedroom to your basement and only had enough funds to account for that but along the way you saw this beautiful light fixture and knew it would go great in your dining room area so you bought it but buying it you weren’t able to get the spackle you needed to finish the drywall

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 3

They need to not let this kid touch the field until his foot is 100%. 105% even. I don’t want to be going into next offseason saying “and don’t forget about Newton, we haven’t seen him in the NFL yet but that’s like having an extra 1st rounder added to the roster this year!) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Its tiring when you keep hearing  "well it wasn't a need"....

You don't draft specifically for needs like Ron did. Haven't yall had enough of those? Also., our defense absolutely was trash last year. Worst in the league and one of the worst defenses period in history. That means including Allen and payne, they sucked too. Now sure we can attribute it to poor coaching amongst other things but to say they are our strength is completely naive and blind. Our d line was never a so called STRENGTH because they usually underwhelmed and unde achieved given their draft status. Which is why we got rid of sweat and young and guess what? Defense still sucked with them.

Watching him play reminds me of aaron donald at penn state the way he destroyed o linemen with his acceleration and strength. He is gonna come on our team and be probably the star of our defense by year 3 of his career if he pans out.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

Feeling the same here, definitely not a need imho when DL was in all honestly this teams strength and to be honest I know he was probably to good to pass up but at this time this team isn’t good enough to be drafting from a position of that, we needed to address the OL with more then a project in Coleman from TCU after all we got this new shiny toy we took 2nd over all and we need to protect him at all/any cost… the last I saw Newton no matter how great he becomes won’t be available for that ….

Drafting Newton to me is like going to Home Depot needing Sheetrock and spackle along with Paint cause you added a extra bedroom to your basement and only had enough funds to account for that but along the way you saw this beautiful light fixture and knew it would go great in your dining room area so you bought it but buying it you weren’t able to get the spackle you needed to finish the drywall

If you had two pretty good DTs and had a chance to draft Warren Sapp, but because of need drafted the 9th best OT who might only play RT or G if he panned out, would you draft the tackle?

Your post is saying that you would. 

That's how you get fired like Ron did. That is pure RonMart roster building, so I assume you were really happy with our team before this season.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If you had two pretty good DTs and had a chance to draft Warren Sapp, but because of need drafted the 9th best OT who might only play RT or G if he panned out, would you draft the tackle?

That's how you get fired like Ron did. That is pure RonMart roster building, so I assume you were really happy with our team before this season.

Yep in total agreement and made a similar case with another poster earlier. But some people are stuck in their ways of DRAFT NEED NEED NEED because they can't see beyond mediocrity. The Snyder Era did a number on this fan base.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep in total agreement and made a similar case with another poster earlier. But some people are stuck in their ways of DRAFT NEED NEED NEED because they can't see beyond mediocrity. The Snyder Era did a number on this fan base.

If you can't be over the moon with this draft, because we didn't seel out for a questionable tackle, I don't know what to tell  you.

We got 4 players that could end up nationally known names and even perennial probowlers instead of the next Becton or McGlintchy. 

I really couldn't be happier.

• Like 2

Problem here is when you get home you're gonna realize you need joint compound not spackle, so now ya gotta run all the way back to the store burning through all your fuel and when you finally get home you'll be broke, have no time to finish the bedroom and wish ya had just bought the damn light fixture in the first place. 😁

• Haha 4

It's such a short sighted view of horrible roster building like we just didn't come out of that mentality. Reminds me of the israelites in exodus when they was free from Egypt and wanting to go back to Egypt because they simply was hungry or thirsty.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

Building an NFL team is like building a tower, not a house.  The competition isn't over who can build the most complete house, it's over who can build the tallest tower.  The players are all building blocks of the same shape and basic function, but where they differ is in size.  The best players are the biggest blocks.  If every team is restricted to building with 53 blocks, then the ones who get the most big blocks are the ones that will win. 

Need-drafting stems from looking at the problem of building a team with constricted resources wrong.  It's misunderstanding the true competition in the sport, and the end result is a team that doesn't have enough talent to compete.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

It's such a short sighted view of horrible roster building like we just didn't come out of that mentality. Reminds me of the israelites in exodus when they was free from Egypt and wanting to go back to Egypt because they simply was hungry or thirsty.

1000%. Last year Super Bowl had 11 All Pro players. We’ve had only Trent Williams in the past 10 years. We need 5 All Pro players to become legitimate contenders.

9 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

1000%. Last year Super Bowl had 11 All Pro players. We’ve had only Trent Williams in the past 10 years. We need 5 All Pro players to become legitimate contenders.

Yep. We are in dire need of elite, blue chip talent. If Newton has a much higher chance of being a blue chipper than any "need" position, you take him.

Use FA to fill needs(which we did a great job of for the most part. OT market was just dry and you can only fix so many problems in one off season).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Not entirely accurate but not too far off, there's also brandon scherff, Jeremy Reaves and tress way.

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Not entirely accurate but not too far off, there's also brandon scherff, Jeremy Reaves and tress way.

All pro Gs, Ps and ST-ers don't move the needle much.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

I mean, I totally understand the sentiment that we “needed” to do everything we could to support and protect our shiny new (rail thin) qb.  I legitimately would have understood if they’d drafted multiple olinemen and pass catchers.  It would have been paying the piper - a tax for our poor efforts of the past.  More than anything else (after replacing our owner), we need a franchise qb, and it’s harder to get a guy to that point when he doesn’t have time to throw, is injured, or his weapons aren’t getting open.

Now, with all of that said, when Newton was announced as our pick, my initial take was “hot damn!”, because I knew the FO was all about adding quality to the team.  That their view wasn’t focused solely on this year, but on a long term plan.  Might bite them in the butt this year, but the future is as bright as it’s been in a long time (IMO).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Newton isn’t and won’t  be Sapp either so after that you lost me… it will take time for him to be even as good as Allen or Payne

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Problem here is when you get home you're gonna realize you need joint compound not spackle, so now ya gotta run all the way back to the store burning through all your fuel and when you finally get home you'll be broke, have no time to finish the bedroom and wish ya had just bought the damn light fixture in the first place. 😁

Spackle for the defects and blemishes in the Sheetrock after you hang it Duh? 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

You would have been a perfect talent evaluator in the Vinny Cerrato / Bruce Allen regimes... the adults in charge of the building now have better ideas, thankfully

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

Newton isn’t and won’t  be Sapp either so after that you lost me… it will take time for him to be even as good as Allen or Payne

But Newton will still be FAR better, and a much more important roster piece in the coming 3-5 years, than the 10th rated OT (someone like Patrick Paul, whose essentially useless older brother Chris we already have on the roster, oh and he was overdrafted too)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I'm sure you did stop reading. Explains why you don't like the draft haul.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't want to get too far off topic here but you've never hung sheetrock have you?

On fresh sheet rock you tape the seams and use joint compound. 

Spackle would be more appropriate if say you got pissed because you're team drafted the tenth best offensive tackle when an elite defensive tackle was available and you decide to punch a hole in the wall.

Edited by redskinss
  • Haha 3

On 4/27/2024 at 12:45 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Dude, I called this draft. I called Alt to the Chargers, I called the trade down, I definitely called DL and CB in the second a hundred times. I switched my tune on QB last week because of a private discussion with Sip, which I hate, but am open to, but I nailed this draft and have been called an idiot for a lot of it. 

This year, when I had eye surgery and couldn't sit up for a week, I just watched tape. I know I trailed off. My top 100 was close to GCs though.

We've crushed this draft like crazy.

Dudes a first round IDL and as good as anyone and we're use to crap like Ridgeway. Mathis is done as well. Out of the league this year probably.

We just permanently cemented our best strength. That rotation is nasty. Right in the middle we're coming. I bet we have some happy linebackers after that pick 

I love the guy too, and dude can do yoga, so at least one of his weaknesses can be addressed if he's open to yoga. Flexibility is something anybody can achieve with practice generally speaking (although if you've got severe particular injuries, sometimes yoga needs to be stopped, at least temporarily), but Yoga should help his flexibility.

I will say this though, it hasn't permanently cemented things, it's more started the rebuild at DT for when we lose Allen (in '24 or '25) and Payne (probably '26). I suspect we move on from Allen in '25, and Payne either during '26 or after. This allows us to get in front of those departures so we have an elite piece still on his rookie deal in 26-'27 when we lose one and then probably both of those dudes. 

I'm not particularly excited for how awesome it makes DT now, as they are empty calorie seasons where we're liable to lose a good 10-13 games, but I do like that he'll be learning under two professionals w/elite careers in their past. Nice way to start his training and hopefully blossoming. DT is one of those weird things over the year, like LT, we've generally been very strong during this 32 year down turn at 2 of the hardest positions to fill with quality talent, hasn't mattered because no QB, now, maybe, hopefully that will finally be different. Like you, needless though it is to say, I'm enthused we landed him. His kind of explosion off the snap is nuts, and a rare trait. Love it. He was one of the best two or three guys on the board at slot at 36 and I'm glad we grabbed him. 

On 4/27/2024 at 7:12 AM, PeterMP said:

I think guys often fall for a reason.  Taking the Eagles as an example, last year everybody was like, oh they got Smith at 30th.  Their so lucky.

But then he didn't really do much last year.  

And if the guy is a great pick at that position, given where we are, the pick should have value to somebody else that allows you to trade it to get something of good value and something more in line with what we need.  Especially to help a rookie QB.

Certainly, the guy looks like a good player, I understand the pick, but it is hard for me to say that's a great pick.

(I also think the Eagles do a good job of moving up and down the draft board to get to positions where their needs are value picks.  They have a history of trading up and down.  And that sometimes people just don't understand what the Eagles do and don't understand how they see their needs.)

Great pick if he's healthy. Somebody probably already mentioned it, but it appears the Jones Fracture is the reason behind the fall, had an injury, so he dropped a good 10-25 slots (PFF had him 11th or 12th, which is a strong outlier)

On 4/28/2024 at 5:50 AM, Warhead36 said:

We aren’t trading Allen. Why are people allergic to stacking talent?

Allen's deal is up in two years, we won't be competitive either of those years, he'll turn 31 the year he's a FA, makes sense to trade for value either now, or in '25 both for us and for him. I can see keeping him around for another year as a mentor to a defense that's getting a lot younger, and being rebuilt from scratch, but whatever he does beyond the locker room will be done in lost seasons, if we could get a 3rd for him, I'd deal him. Doesn't sound like Peters is interested in trading him (at least in '24) so that point is moot unless he comes out and demands it during the summer. 

Posted (edited)
On 4/28/2024 at 3:26 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Beginning to sound like the love child of Dave Butz and John Randle, and the height/explosion thing sounds a lot like Randle. 

On 4/30/2024 at 6:28 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Dude has Warren Sapp vibes.

Yeah, and John Randle. Like not super tall, but explosive as hell. In fairness, Sapp as a college guy was a once a decade type talent, like Suh 15 years later. Sapp should've gone 1.01 but had drug rumors drop him (and I don't think he was going 1.01 anyway, too many stupid GM's). 

8 hours ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

If he blew up the combine and ran thev40 at say a legit 4.77, plus  did the cone stuff, the shuttles, the high jumps,  verticals et al, and was equally adept at them, I predict thatvwith his established pedigree, and the resulting praise he'd get as an athletic freak from the talking heads on tv that he likely goes no later than the mid 20s.

Their loss is our gain.

Steal of the draft.

PFF had him I think 11th, maybe 12th can't remember which. It was fortunate he was injured, as he definitely doesn't go round 2 if he's healthy in January/February/March. The more I learn about him the more I feel like we got two first rounders in this draft w/o trading up. Pretty awesome, really genuinely sounds like this guy would normally go in the 8-16 zone (I know he was projected 26th but I think that was in part because of team fit related to size (he's pretty short and not super heavy). 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1