Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Commanders Jayden Daniels QB LSU

PCS

9 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

Of course, everyone makes mistakes, but ignoring the obvious trait weaknesses (footwork, release, accuracy, erratic tendency; demeanor, leadership, coolness, etc.) while using level of competition as a backdrop, to then select the other guy, like Maye (he’s not the first or last) increases risk substantially for a GM and head coach.  And your only real justification for the choice is a hunch, hard to defend being wrong to you’re boss…

However, if all my data and analysis prove to be wrong, although i followed my process, either my process is flawed, which initiates incorporating lessons learned, or just chalk it up to bad luck and try again.  But at least I have a hill I’m willing to die on.  As you say though, only time will tell…

Who said anything about just a hunch besides you? The Chiefs didn't trade up for Mahomes based on a hunch, the Bills didn't draft Allen and the Chargers didn't draft Herbert based on a hunch. Those were all guys with elite traits who also had sloppiness to their games - accuracy, footwork, mechanics, etc. That's why other QBs went before them.

Also, I love how you just randomly threw out demeanor, leadership, and coolness as if either Daniels or Maye lacked those things.

Just now, mistertim said:

Who said anything about just a hunch besides you? The Chiefs didn't trade up for Mahomes based on a hunch, the Bills didn't draft Allen and the Chargers didn't draft Herbert based on a hunch. Those were all guys with elite traits who also had sloppiness to their games - accuracy, footwork, mechanics, etc. That's why other QBs went before them.

Also, I love how you just randomly threw out demeanor, leadership, and coolness as if either Daniels or Maye lacked those things.

You still seem to be a bit sensitive, but I’ll address… I used “hunch” because based on what I read, JD far and away out graded Maye, but as you stated, teams at times overvalue mechanics etc… meaning a team likely selects the wrong player by overly relying on analytics and metrics (your words) where they should have used more subjective reasoning, “hunch,” to pick a Mahommes or a Herbert.  

Also, I’m glad you appreciated my using EQ words, because AP and Quinn also repeatedly talked about how cool JD is, and the natural leader he is, etc.., contrasted by what I’ve read, that Maye seems a bit uptight or nervous at times, who knows whether that’s good or bad for Maye or if JD’s coolness is a mute point after he throws 2 picks…

I hope they both are amazing young QBs and better men. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lovemaskins said:

You still seem to be a bit sensitive, but I’ll address… I used “hunch” because based on what I read, JD far and away out graded Maye, but as you stated, teams at times overvalue mechanics etc… meaning a team likely selects the wrong player by overly relying on analytics and metrics (your words) where they should have used more subjective reasoning, “hunch,” to pick a Mahommes or a Herbert.  

Also, I’m glad you appreciated my using EQ words, because AP and Quinn also repeatedly talked about how cool JD is, and the natural leader he is, etc.., contrasted by what I’ve read, that Maye seems a bit uptight or nervous at times, who knows whether that’s good or bad for Maye or if JD’s coolness is a mute point after he throws 2 picks…

I hope they both are amazing young QBs and better men. 

Wait, where did I use the words analytics and metrics? I was talking about overly weighing things that are fixable with practice (footwork, mechanics) vs focusing on traits and how that sort of thing led to plenty of people missing on Mahomes, Allen, and Herbert.

As far as Maye being nervous or uptight, I think you're mostly repeating what someone else on here has said recently (can't remember who). Never really heard anything like that from any people who analyzed him or scouted him online. From what I read they both come across as natural leaders with Daniels being more quiet and laid back and Maye being more vocal and extroverted.

14 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Isn't Brissett proven to be a better passer and leader and competitor than Mariota? And by enough in all three areas to be considered a definite, though not a big, notch up overall in the role? 

Brissett is objectively more reliable and consistent than Mariota. 

Not sure by a wide enough margin to warrant the extra $2 million guaranteed, though. 

Maybe JB thinks he has a better chance to play by going back to Ne?

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Jumbo said:

Isn't Brissett proven to be a better passer and leader and competitor than Mariota? And by enough in all three areas to be considered a definite, though not a big, notch up overall in the role? 

I really haven't bothered to do any thorough examination there, it's just my basic take from what little invested attention I've paid to each over the years.

I wish brissette got to play more last year, he looked soooo good when he played. I’ve always liked Brissette and right now I’d agree that he is better than Marriotta. Though, I actually am glad that Marriotta is the back up here, I think he has come to terms with what he is and his role. You can bet that Brissette is gunning to start, where as Marriotta is here to be a backup and help mentor the rookie qb.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

I wish brissette got to play more last year, he looked soooo good when he played. I’ve always liked Brissette and right now I’d agree that he is better than Marriotta. Though, I actually am glad that Marriotta is the back up here, I think he has come to terms with what he is and his role. You can bet that Brissette is gunning to start, where as Marriotta is here to be a backup and help mentor the rookie qb.

I'm relieved he didn't play more, he almost cost us the number 2 pick. Jerk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, wit33 said:

A who cares to most thought:

I still believe that as the NFL continues to evolve towards a more positionless game in open space, the QB position will become increasingly athletic. Similarly, the point guard position in basketball once featured players like Scott Skiles as a ball-dominant PG on a Shaq team, but it has since shifted towards giving the ball to the best athletes on the court, with the traditional PG role almost eliminated. There are still players like Mike Conley (Brock Purdy), who are tasked with getting the ball to the real QB, such as Anthony Edwards, within 4-8 seconds of the shot clock.

This is why I really didn’t like Drake Maye as a prospect. NFL offense is all about getting the ball to your playmakers when and where they have the most space to operate. You really need an accurate and consistent qb for offenses to work well. I think we made the right choice with Jayden, he is accurate and reads the field fast. He will also draw a spy, which should give the playmakers a little more space

• Like 1

Jerod Mayo’s quote about Maye was taken a bit out of context. He said (paraphrasing) that Maye “has a lot of work to do, just like all rookies do.  But I’m sure he’ll put in the work”.

To me, that is a head coach trying to take some pressure off of his young QB. It means diddly squat. And of course he needs work on his mechanics…everyone knew he did. 

To extrapolate from that quote after two days in shorts to proclaim “I was right about not wanting Maye” is foolish. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, profusion said:

The window of accuracy is smaller in the NFL, and I keep thinking back to Belichick's draft-day analysis that Maye was missing on throws to narrow windows that are considered "open" in the NFL.

I'm not rooting against the guy (unless he's playing the Commanders). It's just that maybe we're starting to see why Peters wasn't interested in him.

I am shallow enough to want Maye to struggle in NE. Why would I want the guy we passed on to turn into Ben Roethlisberger should ours struggle?   And why would I want the fans of New England to get to enjoy yet another franchise QB after so many fan bases have been searching for their guy for generations.    

• Like 11

I was prepared to post clips of Maye getting explosively ragdolled thru the air everytime he tries to hurdle a guy if the Giants managed to get a hold of him. I was ready to go scorched earth. Glad things didn't go down that route and I got to maintain some decorum.

Maye can do whatever he wants to in NE, my concern is JD. As long as he pans out, who cares about the rest. Same goes for Caleb, JJ, Penix n Nix. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

IMO it's usually not a good idea to judge a backup based on what he did in spot duty in a few games. Yes, he played well, but also absolutely none of those teams game planned for him during the week. We've seen this happen many times in the past and people often seem to get caught up in it.

Brissett isn't a horrible QB, but he's a journeyman backup for a reason. He's pretty mediocre overall. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I am shallow enough to want Maye to struggle in NE. Why would I want the guy we passed on to turn into Ben Roethlisberger should ours struggle?   And why would I want the fans of New England to get to enjoy yet another franchise QB after so many fan bases have been searching for their guy for generations.    

Count me in as one of the shallow gang. I hope that Maye fails too, along with every other QB in the league apart from our guys.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I don't really care what Maye does in NE one way or the other. They're not in our division, they're not in our conference. The only time we'd face them is every once in a while during the regular season and if we got to the Super Bowl.

I actually hope he does well until he faces us in either of those two scenarios. Then I obviously want him to go down in flames.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Daniels will be elite and we wont need to worry about any other QBs for the next decade

Yes, you’ve seen the light. :lol: Gonna be some fun years ahead in DC! 

Edited by BayouBrave86

6 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Yes, you’ve seen the light. :lol: Gonna be some fun years ahead in DC! 

Honestly I think I and the rest of Maye Nation just overthought it. By all counts Daniels was by far QB2 of this class and was actually closer to QB1 than anyone else. There was no grand conspiracy to get us to draft a lesser prospect, we took the guy we should have. Doesn't guarantee anything of course, and Maye could still end up being the stud of the class, but Daniels's lightning quick release, fluid body motion, mobility/athleticism, polish and experience means he has a very high chance of success. I don't think he'll bust unless he gets hurt, but we might have overthought that too. He has no major injury history and it just might be that we took a guy who is just a freak of nature in terms of biology/physiology and the guy just has like adamantium bones/ligaments despite being skinny af.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

58 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Count me in as one of the shallow gang. I hope that Maye fails too, along with every other QB in the league apart from our guys.

I think the appropriate word is "Petty,"  and I'm there with ya

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I preferred Maye to Daniels pre-draft.  I won’t be crushed if he ends up playing well, as long as JD is better.  But yeah - I have no love for New England and they don’t deserve another great QB, so I’d prefer he sucks.  🤣

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I am enjoying the tenure of the conversation regarding Daniels. He is definitely most pro-ready based upon what I am reading coming out of some of these mini camps. I  am glad to hear he is bigger than some thought, that he has solid rapport with other players, etc. And most of all that he has a solid passing game. I know the comparisons to RG3, but I just think Daniels is a better passer. You can't just have legs in the NFL, which we learned with RG3. 

I am also reading that Caleb is struggling throwing the ball over the middle and they are comparing that to some of Justin Fields struggles when he was with Chicago. Not sure I am 100% buying that. It seems to me that as the #1 pick you should be able to do that fairly consistently.

As far as New England is concerned, I am thinking Brissett will get the start and Joe Milton may even serve as his backup.  New England stocked up at QB, and they are going to play whoever is showing up the best. They are talking about how well Milton sets his feet and how beautiful his long ball is.  Some aspects of Maye's game that were picked apart on here, regarding footwork, according to the sports media is showing up in the rookie mini camp for him.  BUT I think he will be bought along in a manner that he can succeed. That is a weak roster over in New England.  I just do not think he will see the field this year, and I think Milton is no slouch. He may pass him on the depth chart. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

, I am thinking Brissett will get the start and Joe Milton may even serve as his backup. 

They would get roasted harder than Tom brady if they have a rookie 6th rounder backup brissett before the 3rd overall pick.

I know the common narrative is that maye needs some time to refine his mechanics but 3rd string behind a 6th rounder?

Why the hell did you draft him then?

46 minutes ago, redskinss said:

They would get roasted harder than Tom brady if they have a rookie 6th rounder backup brissett before the 3rd overall pick.

I know the common narrative is that maye needs some time to refine his mechanics but 3rd string behind a 6th rounder?

Why the hell did you draft him then?

Come on how many first round QB's fizzled.  A lot. 

Let's see what happens with Milton. He has good accuracy down field. He has had injuries, but I just think he is going to surprise some people. I do. 

3 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

Come on how many first round QB's fizzled.  A lot. 

Let's see what happens with Milton. He has good accuracy down field. He has had injuries, but I just think he is going to surprise some people. I do. 

I'm not talking about 2 or 3 years from now I'm taking about this year. 

If they put maye at 3rd string behind a 6th rounder who's also a rookie they'll be lambasted for taking maye 3rd overall.

3rd overall picks don't fizzle out in their first training camp and even if Milton looks better than maye (which I doubt will be the case) you don't want to send the message that you wasted your first round pick while possibly shattering the confidence of the guy you drafted to be your future before you've even given him a chance.

There's a big difference between a late first rounder sitting behind a future hall of famer like rodgers/love versus a top 3 pick sitting behind a career backup/average starter and a 6th round rookie.

• Like 1