Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

We are not trading our best player in Allen. Him and Payne have a real chance to blow up this year. Our team is Allen. He's seriously our best player and a total leader of the team. 

Trading Allen would be a shot in our foot. We built on our only strength and don't need scrubs like Mathis and Ridgeway anymore.

4 hours ago, ZRagone said:

how much of our games did you watch when we had Allen, Payne, and Ioannidas? All three of them are, and are well

Iaoniddis had one good year, got flagged for drugs and has sucked since. Why do people still like him?

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Going Commando said:

I don't have a good feeling about Kingsbury.  He and the OL coach were the two parts of our coaching search where it seemed like we got swindled.

Something about Kingsbury feels very smoke and mirrors.  Like his real talent is for latching on to authentic talent, doing less with more, getting fired, then landing on his feet with some other great job.  He's got this knack for coaching these genius QBs, and then they have the worst period of their football careers with him.  I wish we could do better for Jayden.

That said, at least for once our entire FO and coaching staff is on the same page about a QB.  If we have to replace Kingsbury in 2025, we can do that.

I don't love the Kingsbury hire, but I'm good with it. 

Johnson should be fine as OL coach with Lynn around 

Johnson is my only head scratcher. He came up carried by Hurts since HS. When he got his OC chance he called a high school level game that relied heavy on screens and then got fired. 

Kliff and Johnson have had success in this league. Johnson has not. Eagles got worse the more involved they got. 

Worst coaching hire we have.

18 minutes ago, FrFan said:

"We are not interested in trading him," Peters said.

I assume we have tangible trade value for our top 10 decent players and we're not going to trade 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Liofuou to Dallas with Beebe definitely hurts. Great picks. 

Beebe was a no brainer with their LG moving to LT and Liofou whatever might be the best backer in the draft and with the way the cowboys crush the LB position, I'll assume he's a hit.

• Like 2

Olu, Trotter, Kyree, Limmer, Malik, SVP, Means, Thrash, Ford, Rice Gray. This is the most talented draft I can remember, without glaring top end talent. 

This draft might hit at QB, but it could be 21 all over and Daniels is Fields/Willis, but the talent around other positions is crazy deep. We're gonna see a lot of these guys playing roles with long careers.

• Like 2

Good morning all!

Some vids for your early morning coffee and donut viewing.

It's gonna be a great day!

XXXXXXXX

The boss with all the hot sauce-- aka Adam Peters-- on his day 2 selections...

Cc

Jayden's full unedited press conference for those who haven't seen it yet...

Dd

SVP queries Nick Saban on first round, talks about Commanders starting around the 1:03 mark...

Ff

Field Yates: Commanders biggest Day 2 winner!

Jj

JP Finlay: "GMAP makes his mark (like an alpha wolf marking his territory)"

Dd

"Commanders get...steal of the draft..."

Gg

Matty Dubbs on Peters pulling off a day 2 drafting coup that no one thought was possible...

Gg

And finally the best video of all and the most important and unquestionably correct advice you will ever get about anything in life--

1 minute and 40 seconds with the late great Anthony Bourdain...

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

7 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Yeah and didn't they actually announce him as a G not T. Feels like a project at T that maybe begins on the inside

the video announced him as a guard, he was announced at the podium as a tackle

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, REDSKINS STOMP said:

Could be right, but what if they don't grow enough and wash out?

Project picks are always risky and in today's league if you don't show early on, you most likely will be replaced quickly.

And taking a defensive player projected to be taken in round 1, should be a day 1 starter all things equal. Taking him into a position of depth to become a full time contributor maybe 2-3 years down the road, limits the chance of getting of full value out of the pick all while the cap hit is reasonable. In this case, an early 2nd rounder. 

We can say they are trading Allen to make ourselves feel better but then those that said we didn't have depth will be unhappy once again.

When I saw McCaffrey was 6-2 I figured it was Ed's kid. Ed's kids kid. Happy its CMCs bro!

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

A few guys I see them looking at today sticking with no 4th round picks:

EDGE - Kamara, Solomon

CB - Brownlee, Jackson, Hart

LB - Trotter, Knight,..... Williams

T - Jones

RB - Lots of options - Shipley, Laube

WR - Rice, Thrash

Coleman is a LT I think.

Would love to add Christian Jones too. But not sure he lasts to our pick. 

Overall happy with our haul. Newton is definitely an interesting pick and we probably had a R1 grade on him. And reading that we could do 3 DL packages with him Allen and Payne with Luvu roaming as a rusher is fun to envision. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We are not trading our best player in Allen. Him and Payne have a real chance to blow up this year. Our team is Allen. He's seriously our best player and a total leader of the team. 

Trading Allen would be a shot in our foot. We built on our only strength and don't need scrubs like Mathis and Ridgeway anymore.

Iaoniddis had one good year, got flagged for drugs and has sucked since. Why do people still like him?

Now you have another man in the middle who can rotate and not lose a beat while keeping all fresh or 3/4 at times. Very happy with the pick, the run on OL in the first made it possible for him to drop. The value was DL early 2nd. I posted we should take a hard look in my other post. 

So my overall thoughts so far:

Our picks:

Daniels: Big upside, small frame. His biggest obstacle will be a stiff wind. But this guy can play.

JZNewt: Absolute stud. I think we will employ a 7-1-3 defense

Sainistril: Love the player. Bit of a logjam at the nickel spot with inSain, Quan, Davis. Not much on the outside. BPA is BPA. He's short. But he's a hell of a football player. I have retired the term ballhawk after Forbes.

Sinnott: Just a whole lot of yes. He's our Juczchyk or however you spell the H from SF's name. Except he's also a true Y. 100% yes. May be my favorite pick.

Coleman: Shouldn't be a starter for us... but given this team's tackle situation... He may actually start for us. Promising prospect in a good spot in the draft. We'll see. 

McCaffrey: @Jumbo said, "A New Hope" last night in the draft thread, which I didn't laugh react to because I was half asleep. But young Skywalker is going to be a major help to our receiving corps. 

Overall Thoughts on the Class

We've helped Daniels in many ways. I have really apprehensive about our OL. Our LT is below average and our RT is essentially an open space on the field. We'll see how LG pans out. C and RG are all set. You can't force picks, though. So I'm glad we didn't reach on these guys.

What I Hated:

No one will ever convince me that trading Dejean, one of the top corners and the best returnman in the draft (the new special teams rules are going to put a MAJOR emphasis on the return game. It won't be all touchbacks anymore. There are going to be more returns, which means more need for an explosive returner) was a good play. I know what we got. And I like the players we got. But trading with Philadelphia and giving them Dejean is a move that I absolutely despise.

I also hate that Beebe is in Dallas. Not going to be a good situation for us. He will likely start day one for them at LG.

Today:

I think we can go any direction. It's clear we're going BPA.

Some interesting names:

Christian Jones, OT, Texas - He has tremendous upside and athletic for a big man. But he's "just" 305 and needs some development.

Mohamed Kamara, DE, Colorado St

Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon - I actually think he is one of the better receiving prospects in the draft. 4.41 speed but moves smoothly through his patterns and was reliable as all hell.

TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State - He's not my favorite player, I know others were really high on him though. And at this point I think he's just as good of a guess as any other player we could select. And we desperately need help at outside corner and he fits in the BPA mold.

Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina - Oh ****. Yes. I put Rattler. I like Rattler. He definitely has a lot to work on from a consistency basis. But... I really, really don't like Marcus Mariota. So even if we have to keep him for the year, I wouldn't be upset with a plan to start JD, Mariota is the backup and develop Rattler from a mechanical perspective and then next year move on from Mariota. This isn't likely. But I'd like it. And no - this wouldn't be to challenge JD5. He's the QB. 

Will Shipley, RB, Clemson - Others were higher on him than I was, but we're creeping into value territory.

Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia - Only downside here is he is a pure center. 

Jeremiah Trotter, LB, Clemson - Another guy I didn't love when I watched as a high end prospect. But I like him a lot more down here. He flashes, so he needs to be more consistent but again: this is the range.

Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State - Raw, but this guy can do it all. I'd take him as a pure Y without any hesitation. Ertz won't be here long.

Cedric Gray, LB, North Carolina - I like him better than Trotter. Not sure his ceiling is as high, but I think his growth potential is higher. (IE I don't think Trotter hits his ceiling, Gray may).

Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame & Braelen Allen, RB, Wisconsin - We have BRob, CRob and Ekeler. But... these dudes are straight war horses. I'd take them on my team in a heartbeat. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I like all the players we've picked so far. They aren't necessarily the set of players I would have picked, but I can see the sense behind all of them.

I'd have liked to draft OL earlier, but it seems so did they, the trade up just didn't work out. I wish we had found someone other than the Eagles to trade down with, but we got two good players out of it.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

A couple of questions for anyone that can answer them:

I know that we have a minicamp starting on May 14th. Will that be for the entire team, or just the rookies?

Also, there used to be a rule which allowed an extra optional minicamp for teams with a new head coach. Is that still in effect, and if so, are we taking advantage of it?

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

A few guys I see them looking at today sticking with no 4th round picks:

EDGE - Kamara, Solomon

CB - Brownlee, Jackson, Hart

LB - Trotter, Knight,..... Williams

T - Jones

RB - Lots of options - Shipley, Laube

WR - Rice, Thrash

Jean Baptiste was another edge we looked at early in the off-season 

• Thumb up 1

My initial reaction to the Newton pick was "good, they are going BPA as DT and QB were not positions of need. Then I looked into him further and am very excited. You can't have too many good DL, finding a DT who can create a pass rush is rare and valuable.  The only pick I was not crazy about  was Sinnott. Nothing on his tape suggests he will be more than a role player. I think Coleman will go the way of Scherff and Cosmi and end up at guard. Which is fine, they needed a good young guard on this team badly. 

On a side note Darrell Green's first appearance was embarrassing.  Stop with the clown show and videoing yourself and announce the pick like the other teams did. Thankfully someone must have gotten in his ear because he behaved the 2nd time.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Edefuan Ulofoshio - LB

Ulofoshio is a former walk-on who developed into a team captain and All-America player. He ran well at the combine, and flashed in the national championship with a fourth-down pass breakup in the second quarter. That was an excellent example of his ability to cover ground in coverage. Ulofoshio is also competitive matching up with backs and tight ends. He is a rangy run-defender who flashes the ability to slip blocks between the tackles. In the NFL, he should make early contributions on special teams. -- Steve Muench

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

My initial reaction to the Newton pick was "good, they are going BPA as DT and QB were not positions of need. Then I looked into him further and am very excited. You can't have too many good DL, finding a DT who can create a pass rush is rare and valuable.  The only pick I was not crazy about  was Sinnott. Nothing on his tape suggests he will be more than a role player. I think Coleman will go the way of Scherff and Cosmi and end up at guard. Which is fine, they needed a good young guard on this team badly. 

On a side note Darrell Green's first appearance was embarrassing.  Stop with the clown show and videoing yourself and announce the pick like the other teams did. Thankfully someone must have gotten in his ear because he behaved the 2nd time.  

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cringed at DG's first appearance.  It was so over the top it was like he was a little drunk or something.  

• Like 2