Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

128. Hunter Nourzad, C, Penn State (6-3, 317)

Nourzad might be this year’s Tyler Biadasz, as he lacks overwhelming strength or elite athleticism but maximizes what he has with smarts, physicality and well -schooled technique. He has center-guard experience and should compete for starting reps as early as his rookie season.

144. Javon Foster, OT, Missouri (6-5, 313)

Foster isn’t a great bender, and his footwork and technique must continue to improve. But his size, strength and functional movements are a solid starting point for an NFL team looking for a developmental prospect. He projects as a backup left tackle with a chance to be more.

151. Edefuan Ulofoshio, LB, Washington (6-0, 236)

Ulofoshio might have a capped ceiling in the NFL, but he has overachieved at every other level because of his football instincts and active play style. He has the “all-in” mentality of a core special teamer who can make a living covering kicks while competing for defensive snaps.

Not sure what the plan was trading out of 40 to then pick a lesser CB and a project possible starter at Tackle or Guard. Made 0 sense to me. Maybe they think Sinistril is better than he was rated. Weird decisions all the way around on day 2. I was not a fan of any of the picks.....have to read up on McCaffrey though. I get the BPA thing but to me it has to at least be on the same continent with some of our needs.

Gonna take a couple of years to build and I hope JD survives them with the line we provide him. He may actually have to get real small so the D can't see him when he bails out.

Edited by tmandoug1

Last one…but let’s now sleep on a kicker in the 7th round…

Anim Dankwah - OT Howard - Had a top 30 visit.

Overview

Decorated left tackle with extremely rare size, mass and length. Dankwah is a human wall with the ability to grind and drive opponents off their turf once he's centered up and has his legs driving. He moves with adequate initial quickness but will struggle to redirect his weight to make blocks on the move or to recover against quick inside rush counters. Dankwah is too tall to play guard and might not have the lateral quickness to protect the passer at an acceptable level. However, size and power matter to NFL teams, and there is enough on tape for a general manager to invest a late-round pick in him.

So I'm not as high on Will Shipley of Clemson as some. the Backs I liked best and might be there in the 5th were 

Ray Davis Kentucky
Braelon Allen Wisconsin
The Notre Dame Back you mentioned earlier, 
Isaiah Davis (Could be a returner too)
Cody Schrader of Missouri
Dillon Johsnon of Washington

There's also Frank Gore Jr (ANother potential legacy, but I'm not sure he's as good as his old man)

Inside OL
Sedrick Van Pran - UGA
Sataoa Laumea Utah
Dalton Tuckre Marshall

Hard to predict here, because most of what has been taken were centers that may move to guard.  there may be some UDFA potential at Guard

WR
Troy Franklin (despite medical concerns I think is still there) 
Malik Washington (This guy feels like a possession guy, may not score many 6's but if he can help move chains maybe. Doubt he falls to 5th rd though)
Javon Baker UCF
Jacob Cowing ZOna
Brenden Rice (Another legacy, but based on what I saw he's a depth guy that needs more coaching, but I think he has the work ethic to get there)
Ainias Smith A&M
Johnny Wilson FSU
Jha 'Quan Jackson Tulane
Jalen Coker Holy Cross
There are a lot of possible UDFA WRs that could be there. Hard to know if they use a remaining pick on this

LB:
Jeremiah Trotter JR Clemson
Cedrig Gray UNC
Curtis Jacobs Penn State
Tommy Eichenberg Ohio ST
Edefuan Ulofoshio Washington

After those the depths of the LB class are a bit of a mystery.  Given we brought in two stud FAs hard to know if we take a flyer on someone

Edge Rushers (Not sure if this is DE or Edge for 3/4)
Austin Booker Kansas
Gabriel Murphy UCLA
Brennan Jackson Wash ST
Mohamet Kamara Col St
Javon Solomon Troy
Xavier Thomas Clemsn
Cedrig Johnson Ole Miss
Grayson Murphy UCLA

Hardly any edge guys have been taken.  I had Adisa Isac and Chris Braswell as top 2nd round possibilities but they both were gone before the 3rd round was over

There aer still some QUality COrners:
DJ James Auburn
Kris Abrams-Draine
T J Tamp Iowa State
CAelen Carson Wake (I thought he was taken last night NFL says he wasnt)
Cam Hart Notre Dame
Nehemiah Pritechet Auburn

There are a lot of corners in this draft, Figure we look for someone for depth and special teams from the Safety/Corner Class at least with 1 of these picks.

Looking at who is left available and might last until the 5th - some really good RB talent left

Bucky Irving - possibly the best receiving back in the draft. He’s small but will be someone to develop as a 3rd down type. Successor to Ekler

Audric Estime - volume back with size. Lacks a top gear but does everything else really well. Cover for Robinson and might end up better.

Will Shipley - a bit like Irving a guy who will probably catch more balls than have carries in the NFL but maybe a better runner between the tackles than Irving.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Not sure what the plan was trading out of 40 to then pick a lesser CB and a project possible starter at Tackle or Guard. Made 0 sense to me. Maybe they think Sinistril is better than he was rated. Weird decisions all the way around on day 2. I was not a fan of any of the picks.....have to read up on McCaffrey though. I get the BPA thing but to me it has to at least be on the same continent with some of our needs.

Gonna take a couple of years to build and I hope JD survives them with the line we provide him. He may actually have to get real small so the D can't see him when he bails out.

It all comes down to Sinsistril to me. If he is good then it was a good move. He is exciting and has a lot to offer but boy he is tiny.  I question the tight end's ability to create separation and get open. But I'm not sure why you don't like the Newton pick.  Guy could be a stud and was clearly a first round talent.  

• Like 1

Sainstril is awesome. Best slot/nickel CB in the draft and an absolute monster all over. He's gonna be a fan favorite before you know it. I don't like letting a division rival get Dejean either, but we got good value out of the deal. 

I'm glad we didn't reach for needs. That's how we end up in the Rivera predicament where we end up with a bunch of JAGs or just decent at best players because we went in saying "we have to draft position X or position Y in round 2, 3 etc" instead of just accumulating talent and letting the coaches figure it out.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I lied….

Mason McCormick - G South Dakota State

Overview

Three-year team captain who brings an incredible amount of starting experience and toughness to the table. McCormick plays with tightness in both his upper and lower half that shows itself when he's forced to make athletic plays. He can be forceful into first contact but doesn't display the flexion needed to redirect his weight quickly or play with leverage at the point of attack. His clear-eyed pass protection will attract offensive line coaches and his NFL Scouting Combine testing should have coaches believing there is still much more to bring out of him as a player.

Just now, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

We need to move up to the 4th and get him ASAP.

Yeah I'd have preferred him over LuMac(my nickname for him), but there has to be something up with him beyond just a bad combine. Everyone is passing on him repeatedly and teams are taking supposedly inferior WR prospects. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

What I Hated:

No one will ever convince me that trading Dejean, one of the top corners and the best returnman in the draft (the new special teams rules are going to put a MAJOR emphasis on the return game. It won't be all touchbacks anymore. There are going to be more returns, which means more need for an explosive returner) was a good play. I know what we got. And I like the players we got. But trading with Philadelphia and giving them Dejean is a move that I absolutely despise.

I am with you on this and heck, Dejean was higher on most boards than Newton. We allowed Philly to take arguably their weakest area, defensive backfield and make it a strength. with Mitchell and Dejean...they were the 2 of the top 4 CB's on most boards. In fairness, we did get decent value in the trade but it's a division rival man. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Some interesting names:

Christian Jones, OT, Texas - He has tremendous upside and athletic for a big man. But he's "just" 305 and needs some development.

Mohamed Kamara, DE, Colorado St

Will Shipley, RB, Clemson - Others were higher on him than I was, but we're creeping into value territory.

Jeremiah Trotter, LB, Clemson - Another guy I didn't love when I watched as a high end prospect. But I like him a lot more down here. He flashes, so he needs to be more consistent but again: this is the range.

I have these guys on my short list for today. With today's first pick I am really hoping to hit on Edge Kamara or T Jones but they are a long ways off from being available.

Like you, Shipley and Trotter I'd like after the first pick. The others I am really high on at that point are CB, Brownlee, LB Knight, WR Rice, Smith and Thrash and Edge Solomon.

There are a number of solid options at RB, DB's and some decent LB's

Edited by DWinzit

23 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Theres no way Troy Franklin falls to rd 5 right???

I didn't come into this draft thinking Troy Franklin to the Commanders.... but I am a little surprised that we took McCaffrey over him.  U of Washington had all three of their receivers taken over Franklin.

It happens every year... but yeah, still a big surprise!

6 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

I didn't come into this draft thinking Troy Franklin to the Commanders.... but I am a little surprised that we took McCaffrey over him.  U of Washington had all three of their receivers taken over Franklin.

It happens every year... but yeah, still a big surprise!

I think we are going to end up loving the McCaffrey pick. He’s very new to the receiver position (switched from QB) but he has already shown massive potential. He will be our slot guy and WR #3 very quickly and he’s a guy who will do more than run option routes and crossers.

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

I think we are going to end up loving the McCaffrey pick. He’s very new to the receiver position (switched from QB) but he has already shown massive potential. He will be our slot guy and WR #3 very quickly and he’s a guy who will do more than run option routes and crossers.

I'm not against the McCaffrey pick...

All that said, you could have drafted Franklin to play outside and moved Dotson into the slot 🤷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

So my overall thoughts so far:

Our picks:

Daniels: Big upside, small frame. His biggest obstacle will be a stiff wind. But this guy can play.

JZNewt: Absolute stud. I think we will employ a 7-1-3 defense

Sainistril: Love the player. Bit of a logjam at the nickel spot with inSain, Quan, Davis. Not much on the outside. BPA is BPA. He's short. But he's a hell of a football player. I have retired the term ballhawk after Forbes.

Sinnott: Just a whole lot of yes. He's our Juczchyk or however you spell the H from SF's name. Except he's also a true Y. 100% yes. May be my favorite pick.

Coleman: Shouldn't be a starter for us... but given this team's tackle situation... He may actually start for us. Promising prospect in a good spot in the draft. We'll see. 

McCaffrey: @Jumbo said, "A New Hope" last night in the draft thread, which I didn't laugh react to because I was half asleep. But young Skywalker is going to be a major help to our receiving corps. 

Overall Thoughts on the Class

We've helped Daniels in many ways. I have really apprehensive about our OL. Our LT is below average and our RT is essentially an open space on the field. We'll see how LG pans out. C and RG are all set. You can't force picks, though. So I'm glad we didn't reach on these guys.

What I Hated:

No one will ever convince me that trading Dejean, one of the top corners and the best returnman in the draft (the new special teams rules are going to put a MAJOR emphasis on the return game. It won't be all touchbacks anymore. There are going to be more returns, which means more need for an explosive returner) was a good play. I know what we got. And I like the players we got. But trading with Philadelphia and giving them Dejean is a move that I absolutely despise.

I also hate that Beebe is in Dallas. Not going to be a good situation for us. He will likely start day one for them at LG.

Today:

I think we can go any direction. It's clear we're going BPA.

Some interesting names:

Christian Jones, OT, Texas - He has tremendous upside and athletic for a big man. But he's "just" 305 and needs some development.

Mohamed Kamara, DE, Colorado St

Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon - I actually think he is one of the better receiving prospects in the draft. 4.41 speed but moves smoothly through his patterns and was reliable as all hell.

TJ Tampa, CB, Iowa State - He's not my favorite player, I know others were really high on him though. And at this point I think he's just as good of a guess as any other player we could select. And we desperately need help at outside corner and he fits in the BPA mold.

Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina - Oh ****. Yes. I put Rattler. I like Rattler. He definitely has a lot to work on from a consistency basis. But... I really, really don't like Marcus Mariota. So even if we have to keep him for the year, I wouldn't be upset with a plan to start JD, Mariota is the backup and develop Rattler from a mechanical perspective and then next year move on from Mariota. This isn't likely. But I'd like it. And no - this wouldn't be to challenge JD5. He's the QB. 

Will Shipley, RB, Clemson - Others were higher on him than I was, but we're creeping into value territory.

Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia - Only downside here is he is a pure center. 

Jeremiah Trotter, LB, Clemson - Another guy I didn't love when I watched as a high end prospect. But I like him a lot more down here. He flashes, so he needs to be more consistent but again: this is the range.

Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State - Raw, but this guy can do it all. I'd take him as a pure Y without any hesitation. Ertz won't be here long.

Cedric Gray, LB, North Carolina - I like him better than Trotter. Not sure his ceiling is as high, but I think his growth potential is higher. (IE I don't think Trotter hits his ceiling, Gray may).

Audric Estime, RB, Notre Dame & Braelen Allen, RB, Wisconsin - We have BRob, CRob and Ekeler. But... these dudes are straight war horses. I'd take them on my team in a heartbeat. 

I think Spencer gets taken in round 4.

Las Vegas, Dallas, New York Giants, Los Angeles Rams seems like the teams that could draft him.

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

A couple of questions for anyone that can answer them:

I know that we have a minicamp starting on May 14th. Will that be for the entire team, or just the rookies?

Also, there used to be a rule which allowed an extra optional minicamp for teams with a new head coach. Is that still in effect, and if so, are we taking advantage of it?

Think this one is the voluntary extra minicamp that new coaches are allowed; so it’s open to all players.

The mandatory minicamp is in June.

• Thanks 1

McCaffrey feels like a pick where we think we know something other teams don't.

Do we know something other teams don't?  I dunno.

But I think we think we do.

Personally I can see it, watching his highlights.  Guy makes contested catches (some separation issues tho).  Big catch radius.  Good routes.  As a former QB, I wonder if that gives him a leg up in terms of understanding Daniels' thinking.  Having your WRs and QBs on the same page is necessary and Luke, who is a shifty slot guy, probably will be able to sort of mind meld with Jayden to find the weak spots in defenses.

I think he could surprise us a great deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Franklin must be a medical related issue. If he drops much further anyway.

That said, there is still a ton of very good receivers available. Same at DB. Incredible depth.

I hope if we have one or two high ranked players still on the board, say in the mid to higher third range, that’s we are aggressive and make a move up. 

Get us one more real quality pick to feast over….

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Possible kick returner as well if he has any of his brothers juice. You can't bet against that bloodline. 

48 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Theres no way Troy Franklin falls to rd 5 right???

I've been pretty good in my player assessments/projections thus far except this one. Franklin's fall is a mystery to me. AD's is not anything to do with his play but attitude and battling diabetes from what I can discern. 

Edited by Chump Bailey

Interesting that Peters dealt with Roseman. Also referred to them being good friends. Eagles got these left. Wonder if we swing an another trade with them using a 2025 pick….

Round 4: 120th overall (from the Pittsburgh Steelers)

Round 4: 123rd overall (from Houston Texans)

Round 4: 132nd overall (from San Francisco 49ers)

Round 5: 152nd overall (from Washington Commanders)

Round 5: 171st overall (compensatory pick)

Round 5: 172nd overall (compensatory pick)

Round 6: 210th overall (compensatory pick)

9 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

McCaffrey feels like a pick where we think we know something other teams don't.

I'm absolutely giddy about this pick and one I called/hoped for many moons ago :) Their family is just loaded with alpha studs who take their profession very seriously. I can't wait to how his career unfolds.

Edited by Chump Bailey
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Interesting that Peters dealt with Roseman. Also referred to them being good friends.

Well he needs to cut that **** out.

They're mortal enemies now.  They see each other on the field, knife fight.  That's how we do it in the NFC East.

Only time you're allowed to team up with them is to fight the Giants together.  Because **** the Giants.

Remember too that Rounds 4-7 are AP’s bread and butter. Or at least the bread and butter of recent SF drafts. Stink we only have 3 picks today. Probably not much of a chance to acquire more picks. But excited to see who AP has in mind with our 5th round picks.