Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

I'd like to see us select another tackle: C. Jones or J. Foster in th 5th, or W. Rouse in the 7th.  A few quality CBs still available: Tampa, Hart, Jackson, Carson, etc.  An LB to be groomed by Wagner would also be a good option. Trotter and Green will probably go in 4th. Eichenberg should be there for us in the 5th.

Just now, clskinsfan said:

My top 10 players left:

Jaylen Wright:  Kind of shocked he is still there. Incredible athleticism. size and playmaking ability.

Jeremiah Trotter Jr:  I am higher on him than most apparently. He can get out of position at times. And other times he is explosive. Not sure he loves the game.

Ja'tavion Sanders:  I was not high on him as a day two guy. But I think the value is really good now. 

Kris Abrams-Draine: Size is making him fall. He can play though

Austin Booker: He should have gone back to school. Raw edge prospect. But can play

Malik Washington: Falling due to competition imo. 

Sedrick Van Pran:  His tape is up and down. More ups than downs though

Gabriel Murphy: Very good edge player. Older prospect though.

Tez Walker: Way too many drops. But can get open

Troy Franklin: Cant beat press man. But a deep threat if he gets clear.

I like a lot of the names on this list.

I think Trotter needs 1 offe season and could excel in year 2 if he sees the field.

Sanders I'm sorry, I watched a lot of Big-12 ball, and it felt like he disappeared in games, Not sure if that was TX game plan or not though.

Abrams-Draine is one of my favorite skill set and speed corners in this draft, SHocked he wasn't taken in the third.

Booker is good, but I'm not surprised he fell to day 3.  Sam with Malik.
Van Pran being there still is a surprise, If I was concerned about interior OL at all I'd trade up just to get him.

Gabe Murphy is hard to rate for me, we don't see UCLA where I live much, but the few clips I saw show a good edge, possible rotational player that could be what we ant.

I agree on WAlker, he dropped more passes in was it the East West Shrine Bowl or Senior bowl then he caught I think?

Troy Franklin has issues, but as a 4 or 5? maybe.  Anything to let us cut bate with Milne/Brown.

The other Corner I really am High on has quality depth would be Iowa Stat's T J Tampa.  That guy has something, I just don't know how to describe it.  And all of Auburn's Corners are still on the board too.

My real questions are.

Do we Trade Tres Way and bring in a fresh punter?
Do they repeat history and take a Late Round QB ala Cousins/Frerote/SF's current QB.

Everyone points at Spencer Rattler but You should look at

John Rhys Plumlee UCF
Jordan Travis FSU
Sam Hartman of Notre Dame
Michael Pratt - Tulane
Taulia Tagovailoa UMD  (I think some people due to regional affinity are too high on him, but with the # of QBs still out there he could be a 7th or UDFA)

Pratt or Travis would be my picks from that group.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Saying “I trust Peters” is fine. But not everyone trusts his every move and that’s fine too.

I don't trust anything, I just like his strategy and what he's doing. No absolutist language from me. We're all here to discuss different aspects of what we feel like talking about, that's why I'm here. AP could miss on every pick this draft, I still like the strategy and will wait and see. No hurry. 

I just feel like if anyone here were seriously talented enough to be on the level of an AP, they'd be working in an NFL FO. To my knowledge, nobody here is. 

Edited by sinews
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, profusion said:

I think the disconnect between some of us here and Peters is that we're focusing on roster holes, and he's focused on finding impact players.

There's obviously more to it, but that looks like his draft philosophy. The theory being that impact players deliver those handful of game-changing plays, which the roster fillers won't. He'll just make do at the open positions.

It's scary to come out of the draft with continuing questions, but it makes sense.

To your point, it looks to me like every player he adds in free agency and now the draft has a purpose over a legit 2-3 year roster build. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, profusion said:

I think the disconnect between some of us here and Peters is that we're focusing on roster holes, and he's focused on finding impact players.

There's obviously more to it, but that looks like his draft philosophy. The theory being that impact players deliver those handful of game-changing plays, which the roster fillers won't. He'll just make do at the open positions.

It's scary to come out of the draft with continuing questions, but it makes sense.

Rivera, in the same situation, would have drafted a lesser tackle just to draft a tackle.

He'd be on the roster a few years as a backup and eventually end up cut.

This place was a talent deprived total mess. It's not a simple one off season and we're back type of situation-- that job was in San Diego.

Peters isn't in to the sugar rush, empty calorie, instant gratification type deals.

This is a long haul, from the foundation up rebuild.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I loved the DT, liked the DB, I like Sinnott and think we have our TE now, but yeah I think it was early, but hey, probably our new pass catching TE, so I'll take that, Coleman is legit depth and potential starter at OT or G though the ceiling I think is average (but that's better than we have). I don't like the McCaffrey pick at all, just felt stupid, with much better talent on the board, reports from the senior bowl at least from one sight suggested he couldn't translate his athleticism later shown at the combine to the senior bowl practices where he wasn't getting separation. I hated that pick, especially with Franklin falling like a stone, and Baker still available, Jaylen Wright at RB, and some interesting OL, and Defensive fallers still there. It felt like a reach luxury pick based on name, just betting on genetic heritage and combine results, but not on the player. Hated that, especially with us not picking again for 39 picks. Just stupid. I hope I'm wrong, like with Daniels, but at least with Daniels, I get it, I just just am seriously skeptical that it is translatable long term, but with Luke, it's just the combine, and genes...I need more.

For now, my take away:

We got our starting QB, if he stays healthy and the word on his processing and hopefulness w/anticipation is on point, the p2s issue can get fixed and more, he's a stud. I hope.

We got a top 7-8 OL that should be able to develop into a starter by '25, and emergency starter in '24. 

We got a nickel corner and leader for the DB's.

We got our replacement for Allen, and a rotational DT for now.

We got a guy who should win the starting TE job by '25, and we'll make do with catch and fall slugs as he learns in '24. 

In a lot of ways this is kind of ideal because it gives us long term help that isn't going to effect the bottom line too much in '24 (I don't see Sinnott, or Newton or Coleman or McCaffrey starting, Newton and Coleman will probably see a good chunk of snaps though), and for me, it's important that this team only win 4-6 games this year, and the nice FA haul meant w/a '24 steelers level draft, we'd potentially move towards 6-8 wins, I now don't see that happening. I think we've only pulled 1 immediate starter from this draft, maybe 2 if you include the DB who will be on the field a ton as a nickel eventually. 

For now, the O/U on the win total is 6.5. The betting for now is predicting 7 wins (-130 on the over). I look at this draft, and the free agent hault. Its pretty clear we aren't fixing the OL this year (it was nigh on impossible so not a criticism, that looked like a 2 year project), we aren't fixing edge, LB is improved but not great, the secondary may be improved, Forbes can't be that bad again though losing Curl sucks. The WR group is not improved, RB is not improved, QB is. For me that's a net: meh. Not a criticism, they are plugging holes, and the draft looks like a draft a team does when its looking to '25 and '26 more than '24. Fine w/me. I see 4-6 wins still, ceiling of 7, that should slot us 3-13, I would project a middle of 5-6 wins, which is more like 5th-12th zone. I don't much about '25 other than that the QB's stink, RB's are a bit better, WR's are worse, not sure on TE, don't know the rest. Our needs next year look like OL, Edge, LB, WR, RB, maybe DB, we'll see.

I am okay with this, so far, I hated the Daniels pick, and I hated the McCaffrey pick, but felt the rest ranged from fine to good or very good. So far mostly good and if Daniels hits and stays healthy, it creates a 10x value boost period. 

Good Lord you're negative. This is going to be a much better team than you think.

2 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Well we don't have any other option either hey!

Sure we do.

I choose to trust his vision because I see he has a plan and he’s executing it. I don’t agree with every move but I see his goal and now he’s working towards it and I respect the hell out of it.

Doesnt mean we have to believe in his every individual move.

I believe in his mission. 

Don’t believe in every move without question like so many imply we have to. 

It’s okay to ask questions or not understand.

But, there are a lot of people who trust him without doing any research themselves and don’t think anyone should have varying points of view.

To the contrary, though, there are also some here who distrust everything he does because of the past which is just as ridiculous.

Peters is doing great, imo.

But it’s okay to discuss.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Dejean fell for a reason. Broken legs are one of the hardest injuries to recover from. There are fighters like Connor Mcgregor and Chris Wideman have never been the same since breaking legs. I would argue you would rather tear your ACL than breaking Fibula.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Rivera, in the same situation, would have drafted a lesser tackle just to draft a tackle.

This place was a talent deprived total mess. It's not a simple one off season and we're back type of situation-- that job was in San Diego.

Peters isn't in to the sugar rush, empty calorie, instant gratification type deals.

I disagree Rivera doesn't take a tackle, he's got the bease Andrew Wylie!

No he likely reaches on one of the Safeties like Kinchens who doesn't have the athleticism you might expect.  Or possibly An edge rusher who is still on the board in the real draft.
Heck he probably selects Austin Booker.

1 minute ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

It also explains the lack of takeaways for us. We didn't get those guys who are going to deliver fumbles and interceptions. My guess is that's a big part of why they chose Sainirstill over DeJean. A nasty ball-hawking slot CB would go a long way towards fixing the Commanders' problems on defense. How often did teams just work their way down the field on us with throws to the middle? That's got to stop.

• Like 1

Will be interesting to see how Peters goes about life today. He’s got this rep of being a mid/late round genius, I’m sure there is a more suitable word.

Anyway, I wonder if he’s tempted to throw a 2025 3rd or 4th on the table to play the game more today. I don’t see two 5ths and a 7th quenching his thirst. Time will tell.

The McCaffrey pick, whilst very good, looked like a slight reach…maybe…perhaps an indication we are holding firm until the 5th round.

3 minutes ago, OtisDriftwood25 said:

Dejean fell for a reason. Broken legs are one of the hardest injuries to recover from. There are fighters like Connor Mcgregor and Chris Wideman have never been the same since breaking legs. I would argue you would rather tear your ACL than breaking Fibula.

Agree..I’d say a medical flag is part of that story too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

But it’s okay to discuss

Serious question: is anyone saying it's *not* okay to discuss? Because that's what we're all doing. Maybe I've overlooked the staunch AP defenders who are saying don't question anything he does. More like, people are excited to see a real GM go to work. I have no idea how it will work out but I'm not seeing this stark contrast of all vs. none. The extreme positions in this thread seem to be the outliers.

I believe constructive criticism is an absolute necessity in all areas of life. I'm also just enjoying watching AP cook up a great draft strategy, *as it appears in the here and now*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Will be interesting to see how Peters goes about life today. He’s got this rep of being a mid/late round genius, I’m sure there is a more suitable word.

Anyway, I wonder if he’s tempted to throw a 2025 3rd or 4th on the table to play the game more today. I don’t see two 5ths and a 7th quenching his thirst. Time will tell.

The McCaffrey pick, whilst very good, looked like a slight reach…maybe…perhaps an indication we are holding firm until the 5th round.

Agree..I’d say a medical flag is part of that story too.

the only thing about the MCC pick was it was 1 rd earlier... but when we traded our 4th away eh.....

A lot of the WRS went earlier, some later than I expected, this draft has been crazy.

1 minute ago, Veretax said:

the only thing about the MCC pick was it was 1 rd earlier... but when we traded our 4th away eh.....

A lot of the WRS went earlier, some later than I expected, this draft has been crazy.

That pick definitely has the feel of Peters being self indulgent…:ols:

I do really like to potential though. Great way to round day 2 out.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

That pick definitely has the feel of Peters being self indulgent…:ols:

I do really like to potential though. Great way to round day 2 out.

But that having been said, Let's suppose for a moment, there is a family connection giong back to his SF days.

SF Might also have a connection.

SF Doesn't want to trade Aiyuk.

What if we swap him for aiyuk/deboo plus a pick next year?

DOubt that happens, I like the idea of Luke on our squad.

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Well he needs to cut that **** out.

They're mortal enemies now.  They see each other on the field, knife fight.  That's how we do it in the NFC East.

Only time you're allowed to team up with them is to fight the Giants together.  Because **** the Giants.

This is ‘Murica we fight with guns here!

34 minutes ago, Veretax said:

Troy Franklin has issues, but as a 4 or 5? maybe.  Anything to let us cut bate with Milne/Brown.

milne was gone last year. he's in the ufl right now and he's still doing the same things against lower competition.

Hard a hard time logging in yesterday for whatever reason. So weighing in late.

Newton -- love the pick, i watched him for the first time just an hour or so before the draft, after noticing his fall.  Didn't watch a lot though so need to dive in more

Sainristill -- love this pick too, a dude I was high on early in the process, as the draft got closer wondered if he'd be a scheme fit but clearly they feel he is.  Aside from a great player.  Big time leader. tone setter.

Sinnott -- ranked him as my 2nd favorite TE before the draft, he's on my short my guys list that I shared before the draft.   Dig this one big time but wonder if he still would have been there in the early 3rd.

Coleman -- didn't really stand out to me much positive or negative when watching him.  But I noticed during the process that he's a freak athlete with good length so am intrigued

McCaffrey -- didn't love or hate him watching him.  Physical receiver for his size.  Not the best seperator.  Good athlete.  High intangibles.  So I'll trust it.

Vindicating to me some how Troy Franklin is dropping in this draft :ols: I was not as high as some others on him both on the draft thread and as to mock draft types.  But if he's there in the 5th, I'd roll the dice.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

And the DT Newton was a huge reach with the 2nd round pick when clearly a blind man could see we had other glaring needs at other positions ….this was kinda like a weekend warrior picking a kicker in his fantasy league in round 3 with only 8 teams in it…. Huge reach 

No offense but this invalidates everything else you said, you have no idea what you’re talking about here—to an impressive level 

We all have opinions, but they aren’t all correct. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

No offense but this invalidates everything else you said, you have no idea what you’re talking about here—to an impressive level 

We all have opinions, but they aren’t all correct. 

the most bizarre definition of a "reach pick" I have ever seen lol. about the same as the non-bpa BPA approach I saw someone else post yesterday.

Edited by xxprodigyxx
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1