Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2024 NFL Draft Day Thread

zCommander

10 hours ago, REDSKINS STOMP said:

I am not nearly as bullish on this day as some. 5 picks and at best two possible day 1 major contributors, Sinnott and Sanristil. Newton won't see the field much with Allen and Payne ahead of him and Coleman and McCaffery are major projects.

Add in Peters serving up Dejean to the Eagles?! Hey I could be wrong, but plenty to not like here today.

I hear you.  Was the trade worth the players we passed on for the players we got?  If we are debating that over the next three years, then we will have slipped back into mediocrity. Let's hope that all of the picked players are productive.      

• Thumb up 1

I can’t get rid of this Charles tweet so I’m posting to see if that can make it go away. Found out he has a learning disability so making fun of him isn’t funny anymore kinda feels like picking on SoCal 

Edited by Llevron
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

Not sure what the plan was trading out of 40 to then pick a lesser CB and a project possible starter at Tackle or Guard. Made 0 sense to me. Maybe they think Sinistril is better than he was rated. Weird decisions all the way around on day 2. I was not a fan of any of the picks.....have to read up on McCaffrey though. I get the BPA thing but to me it has to at least be on the same continent with some of our needs.

I have sympathy with your view. I would not go as far to say I did not like any of the day 2 picks, but considering what me might have picked up...yeah.  Maybe the FO think after 35 there is not much difference in talent level, might as well get more picks.  I hope they are right.

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Not sure how much will will do that this time around, but a 2nd rounder pick is kinda high for a rotational player. Sure, he might become a starter at some point, if we decide to move on from someone. But he's likely not going to have a big impact for a few years.

If Newton shows that he is capable of making an impact, then the coaches will find a way to play him.  He's going to push Allen and Payne - they might benefit from fewer snaps, but they aren't going to want to see the new guy show that he's better than them.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Listening to the press conference, it seems like maybe they really were more focused on Mike as a slot than any outside CB need. The way Peters talked and gushed, I got the sense they had him high but also recognized as a slot he may be lower on other peoples boards, so it was safe to move back a bit. But it seems we may’ve been considering him legitimately at 40

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

If Newton shows that he is capable of making an impact, then the coaches will find a way to play him.  He's going to push Allen and Payne - they might benefit from fewer snaps, but they aren't going to want to see the new guy show that he's better than them.

Just put all three of them out there.

What is the other team gonna do?  Stop them!?  pfffft lol  Get that ball out buddy or you gonna have a 300 pound fat man rolling on top of you.

"Oh look at me, I'm Jalen Hurts I can bench press 275 ohhh lookitme"

Bench this you filthy casual.

Edited by DogofWar1
  • Haha 2

Well nobody knows how this will go but one thing stands out to me. It’s nice for Dan Quinn to stand back and let Peters handle the draft. I’m sure his input is heavily considered but it’s been a very coach centric draft over the years. I have no complaints with any of the picks but could have seen McCaffrey going a little later. Loved the trade down from 40 to get starting nickel and TE. 

Another thing to consider is 49ers had good history of 5th round picks so I’m excited for day 3 as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dan T. said:

No big deal, but one thing I couldn’t help but notice was how cheesy our War Room looked.  Just tables draped with black table cloths in a plain space that looked like a meeting room in a Ramada off Route 1.

Not a good look.

It used to look worse. This is it being all jazzed up after Snyder got ridiculed too much.

19 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I can’t get rid of this Charles tweet so I’m posting to see if that can make it go away. Found out he has a learning disability so making fun of him isn’t funny anymore kinda feels like picking on SoCal 

Found out he has a learning disability so making fun of him isn’t funny 

Damn, I had no idea.

I feel awful laughing about it now. 😟

It takes courage to get in front of a crowd and talk even when you're good at it.

I can't imagine the fortitude it takes to face the possibility of public humiliation on national tv while  knowing that you have a detrimental impairment beyond your control.

Kudos to Jamaal Charles.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

McCaffrey feels like a pick where we think we know something other teams don't.

Do we know something other teams don't?  I dunno.

But I think we think we do.

Personally I can see it, watching his highlights.  Guy makes contested catches (some separation issues tho).  Big catch radius.  Good routes.  As a former QB, I wonder if that gives him a leg up in terms of understanding Daniels' thinking.  Having your WRs and QBs on the same page is necessary and Luke, who is a shifty slot guy, probably will be able to sort of mind meld with Jayden to find the weak spots in defenses.

I think he could surprise us a great deal.

• Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Conn said:

He’ll have a big impact right away, and it’s not dependent on moving on from someone. People were drooling at the idea of Chop Robinson at the top of the 2nd, and he would’ve been a rotational player for his entire career, likely. “Rotational player” is just a loaded term in this super specialized league. Newton was better value than that imo.

And in regards to the DL rotation, it’s not normal for DL to play the high snap counts ours do (well, Payne at least), even though in the past they’ve gone through stretches of handling it really well. 

We'll see. I'm obviously not really high on the pick, and honestly I'm not really excited about the draft so far to be honest.

The thing that has me is the lack of moves at OT. Honestly, I think they new they were going to take Daniels @ 2 for quite some time. But not doing anything to solidify both T spots seems like really bad planning. We have cap space, and didn't use it. I get going BPA in the draft, but now you have a young QB that is going to get killed. I don't like that plan.

So looking at this and thinking….

I think we’ve added:

2 day one starters

2 year end starters 

1 day one rotational

1 potential starter 

JD obviously starting

I think we begin the year seeing Mike S as our starting Nickel

I think Sinnott ends up being our starting TE by season end. Similarly, I think with how high Peters seems to be on Luke, that he’s our starting slot WR by year end. 

I think Newton is a day 1 rotational player on the line getting solid snaps. 

Coleman is the only guy I can see not contributing significantly year one, and even that feels like a 50/50 proposition. But I can definitely see him being a guy on the line come next year. 

Passing on Dejean or Kool-aid hurts, but I can’t honestly complain with the haul we got. 

• Like 2

There really are a ton of options available at outside CB. Think that’s the way to go today.

Having looked through the players available, these 2 OL would be high on my list of players for today. Plus the LB from Washington Edefuan Ulofoshio.

OG Mason McCormick 

OT Javon Foster

Why are people harping on JZNewt being a “rotational” player? DTs rotate a lot in the NFL. I know we aren’t used to that because Allen and Payne play a high % of snaps, but that’s not normal.

And that’s not accounting for any injury time, either. It’s feasible that we may also employ more odd fronts, which can utilize all three of them in an end-nose-end alignment, too. They are the perfect grouping for that alignment. And maybe Mathis, if he plays, can take some reps at nose.

There is no reason to worry about him being rotational. If he’s as good as he looked in college he’ll see plenty of snaps. And that’ll keep Payne and Allen fresh and not on roller skates because they’re exhausted.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

10 hours ago, Conn said:

He’ll have a big impact right away, and it’s not dependent on moving on from someone. People were drooling at the idea of Chop Robinson at the top of the 2nd, and he would’ve been a rotational player for his entire career, likely. “Rotational player” is just a loaded term in this super specialized league. Newton was better value than that imo.

And in regards to the DL rotation, it’s not normal for DL to play the high snap counts ours do (well, Payne at least), even though in the past they’ve gone through stretches of handling it really well. 

When we have a beautiful new facility for the staff and players. Eventually—probably depends where the new stadium is 

As I posted above, I just saw this post. Great post and I agree.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ZRagone said:

Listening to the press conference, it seems like maybe they really were more focused on Mike as a slot than any outside CB need. The way Peters talked and gushed, I got the sense they had him high but also recognized as a slot he may be lower on other peoples boards, so it was safe to move back a bit. But it seems we may’ve been considering him legitimately at 40

He's 100% a slot. He is unplayable on the outside but in the slot he's gonna be elite.

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Like the picks but still not as optimistic as most. We have two starting corners who are 165 and 180lbs. Eagles are going to bully us

Uh, no we don’t.

Forbes weighs like 37 pounds, agreed. But St Juste is 200+

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Like the picks but still not as optimistic as most. We have two starting corners who are 165 and 180lbs. Eagles are going to bully us

There is no CB we could have drafted that would check anyone the Eagles have anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

The thing that has me is the lack of moves at OT.

Yeah, that's the only negative for me too.

A puzzling thing is that we all thought they might trade back into the first round for an OT.

It does appear that they did indeed try to acquire a mid first, but according to Keim, it was to draft a wide receiver, not a tackle.

Which leads me to infer that either AP is more satisfied with our tackles than we are (possible but doubtful) or he has another plan, beyond the draft, for the position. 

We shall see.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no CB we could have drafted that would check anyone the Eagles have anyway. 

Big time disagree here. Kool Aid and Dejean were in our laps. 

Would they shut the Eagles receivers down? Of course not. But they would make them work for it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2