Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC4: Students walk out of Utah middle school to protest ‘furries’

Several students and adults participated in an hours-long walkout from Utah’s Mt. Nebo Middle School on Wednesday.

The reason for the protest? Furries.

A petition was started online on Sunday with an initial target of 500 signatures — a number of signatures that was reached by Wednesday, prompting the goal to increase to 1,000 signatures.

The description for the petition says that the administration of the school should more strictly enforce the district’s dress code. Specifically, supporters of the petition are trying to get stronger enforcement for the following section of the dress code:

Jewelry, accessories, tattoos, hair, facial hair, and other elements of a student’s appearance that draw undue attention, distract, disrupt, or otherwise interfere with the learning atmosphere at school or at school activities and events, or that create a health, safety, or welfare issue are prohibited.

What is a furry?

“Furry is a fandom,” a furry named Strudel told ABC4.com. “We don’t think that we’re animals.”

According to WebMD, a furry is someone who has an interest in animals with human qualities, and who sometimes dresses up as a cartoon-like version of an animal.

“I really like the idea of animals that walk and talk, so I’m going to dress up as one, as kind of a fun sort of cosplay thing,” Strudel said.

Several children can be seen holding signs reading, “Compelled speech is not free speech.” Another was holding a sign that said “I will not comply,” and another sign said “We just wanted to learn.”

The students said there are attacks from the furries every day, but were unsure of how many furries there actually are at the school, shouting out numbers ranging from five to 100 students who identify as such.

The school’s “furry” population is accused of biting, scratching, spraying air freshener on, barking at and chasing other students.

What do school officials say?

“A lot of the information that’s been put out there is completely incorrect and inaccurate,” Nebo School District Public Information Officer Seth Sorensen told ABC4.com.

While Sorensen said there have been issues with harassment or students making others feel uncomfortable or unsafe, he said most of the claims online are false.

Sorensen said students are not dressing up as cats and dogs, and because there is a dress code in place, he doesn’t think videos that have been shared online are from Nebo schools. Sorensen emphasized that the main goals of the district are open communication and student safety.

“Today, we had some students and parents choose to exercise their right to assemble, and do a little protest for what they perceived was something that was happening in the school,” Sorensen said. “It actually is not something that’s been occurring.”

He said the reports of students dressing as animals are “a little bit inaccurate,” saying students wearing headbands with ears are similar to students wearing bows and sports jerseys. Sorensen said dressing up is “just what students of this age do.”

https://www.abc4.com/news/wasatch-front/utah-student-furry-protest/

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Metalhead said:

...Strudel...this kills me lol.

The poor teachers having to deal with this ****.

if I was in middle school again I would identify as my true self, a turd sandwich, and go by the name Cyrano de Bergerac.

55 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

I’m gonna try and thread the needle here and do my best to avoid both furries and also Mormons.

There’s a compromise to be reached here that should satisfy all parties …

Furry magic underwear

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Wow, I wish I were a kid again...so I could beat these kids up.

From both a legal and a moral stance, how would it be viewed if a disabled veteran with a cane beat up some kids? Like do they balance out?

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

From both a legal and a moral stance, how would it be viewed if a disabled veteran with a cane beat up some kids? Like do they balance out?

Who cares if it doesn't? These stupid kids used their one chance card on a "furry walkout", they already cried wolf once over some dumb ****. No one will come or care to help them, swing that cane freely.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

I was really hoping to be called the Washington Furries and Animal Planet bought the rights to put their name on our stadium. You could either howl or caw caw, all animal noises accepted. But, if there’s already protests about this…I don’t know. 

• Haha 2

I wanted this guy to ask "what's wrong with being civil and nice?" In the first minute.  And that theme continued the whole video.  "We  don't want to be nice to people who are different then us."

"If a dog barked at me, I would kick it away..." [24 mins in...] jerk. 

"They are trying to brainwash us, that its okay.  We don't have to accept everyone.  Furries and LGBTQIA protesting us, we'd get in trouble.  Our school is very leftist." [37 minutes]

"They belong in mental hospitals..." [37]

"If you are a furry and you want to be a furry, you should just be homeschooled.  It will keep them from being bullied and stop us from (train of thought breaks up)... they literally said we can't have altercations with these kids. "  [38]

"They threatened to bark and bite us... so we threw oranges at them..." [38:30]

"They try to appease the minority..."

If you are triggered by furries, you may have problems in life.  I bet they don't bite, or scratch or spray febreze.  They probably bark.  Are there people who really "identify as animals"?  

This is a 10/10 troll job!!!!

• Like 1