Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2024 FA/Trades: Ertz, Armstrong, Ferrell, Fowler, Ndubuisi, Biadasz, Allegretti, Deiter, Luvu, Wagner, Pittman, Walker, Ekeler, McNichols, McManus, Mariota, Driskel, Ott, Chinn, Iggy, Davis, Pierre, Zaccheaus, Reaves, Crowder, Obada, Lucas, Byrd

CapsSkins

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt Guyton falls to the 2nd round pick albiet he should.  IMO some team will falls hard for his traits.  I'd love Morgan, I think 50-50 he's there.  I don't like Kingsley -- IMO he's raw as heck and will get the young QB killed.  I do like Patrick Paul in that range albiet he's a bit raw, too.

I think it was you SIP who stated a few days ago that perhaps more QBs end up going in the 1st than originally projected which helps push some of the LTs down. Can only hope.

Just now, Chris 44 said:

I think it was you SIP who stated a few days ago that perhaps more QBs end up going in the 1st than originally projected which helps push some of the LTs down. Can only hope.

I'm not optimistic about the LTs being pushed down.  If another team needs a tackle and a WR, I'd take the tackle and roll the dice on the WR late in the second round.  I'm guessing some of the first round WR slip (more so than the tackles).  

I cant see Peters gambling that a day 1 starter LT would fall to #36.  I think we will get a free agent LT and he will draft a tackle to slot in at Guard for experience.  Later, the draftee could move over to Tackle or serve as the swing tackle while other players are the backup Guards.

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I doubt Guyton falls to the 2nd round pick albiet he should.  IMO some team will falls hard for his traits.  I'd love Morgan, I think 50-50 he's there.  I don't like Kingsley -- IMO he's raw as heck and will get the young QB killed.  I do like Patrick Paul in that range albiet he's a bit raw, too.

Be cool to sign your guy Chinn.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Be cool to sign your guy Chinn.

Good memory.  I liked him in that draft.  Got off to a hot start in the NFL than fell off some.  I loved Trautman too as a blocker.  Judging by his stats he's been a good blocker, so so receiver but I'd take it as a third type TE.   I liked McKinney too before that draft.  I went to an Alabama game live versus Michigan years back and I mostly watched him when Alabama was playing defense.

56 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

Not me.  I wonder about that.   I think we got 4 for sure.  Maybe 5 QBs. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good memory.  I liked him in that draft.  Got off to a hot start in the NFL than fell off some.  I loved Trautman too as a blocker.  Judging by his stats he's been a good blocker, so so receiver but I'd take it as a third type TE.   I liked McKinney too before that draft.  I went to an Alabama game live versus Michigan years back and I mostly watched him when Alabama was playing defense.

Not me.  I wonder about that.   I think we got 4 for sure.  Maybe 5 QBs. 

I remember you being high on Trautman. I'm not. Fant I'm really high on. 

McKinnley now that Winfield is off the board, would be fantastic. Looks like Curl is going to walk, which is fine.

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I remember you being high on Trautman. I'm not. Fant I'm really high on. 

McKinnley now that Winfield is off the board, would be fantastic. Looks like Curl is going to walk, which is fine.

I am with you on Fant. I like Jonnu also but it sounds like Miami is trying to work out a contract with him last night. We really need to hit on a vet TE, T  and C (in my eyes, I know you want a drafted C) along with what I am certain the do on the other side of the ball...a couple DB's, at least one LB, and Edge

Curl could have fit in with the way these guys like using S's. Would have been nice for him to stay but yeah, there are tons of incredible talent at safety in the FA market. McKinnley is a top option with his leadership qualities to go with character and skills. 

With all the top talent at S in FA, thread must also be a bunch of second tier guys our staff is looking at to fit their desires

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They are a bit screwed at LT, that's the one spot where there is almost nohing so Williams wouln't surprise me. 

We are certainly screwed at OT in general at this point. But there are obviously many paths to filing that void. 1. Free Agency; 2. Draft; 3. Post draft free agency/cut downs

The preferred path, to me, would be to just get as many resources as possible. Have a glut, then figure it out from there.

Jonah Williams may not be a bonafide franchise LT, but he was solid there in Cincinnati and he's just 26. In this example, he is brought in to anchor LT for at least 2024, if not 2025 and beyond.

Then we get to the draft. If the cards fall the right way, I would think one of the OTs with a R1 grade slips to #36. Let's just say Jordan Morgan or Tyler Guyton for this example. I'm grabbing one of them at #36 and sliding them in at RT. 

Right there you've got LT Williams LG Wylie C TBD FA/Stromberg RG Cosmi RT Guyton/Morgan

I continue to bang OT in the draft later, again, if the cards fall in the right places. If someone like Rosengarden is there in the late 3rd or early 4th, I would pounce. Suddenly OT is a strength, with a lot of youth in place.

Rosengarden and Morgan battle it out for RT with the loser playing the swing Tackle role. Williams is your LT starter. But if Morgan flourishes you could kick him to LT long-term, and develop Rosengarden as your RT. Where Williams falls into place in that great scenario is TBD. Maybe Morgan sticks at RT and you just have a real strong backup RT in Rosengarden. Or maybe after 2025 you cut Williams and flip Morgan to LT, Rosengarden to RT.

You could argue we'd be better off using that draft pick on an IOL. But in this scenario, I also envision a free agent Center (James, Cushenberry). This would free up Stromberg to be backup C as well as potentially LG. Flipping Wylie over to LG would help too. 

LT: Jonah Williams, Braeden Daniels
LG: Andrew Wylie, Chris Paul

OC: Lloyd Cushenberry, Ricky Stromberg

RG: Sam Cosmi

RT: Jordan Morgan, Roger Rosengarden

That's a potentially really young, really good OL long-term. Williams may not be a Top 10 LT, but he could be Top 15. And with the other pieces added the OL improves greatly.

Now, what would I envision as the best case scenario?

FA: Jonah Williams, Lloyd Cushenberry

Draft: #36 (Jordan Morgan or Tyler Guyton). #40 Graham Barton. #103: Roger Rosengarden

I doubt we'd hit all those positions. It does seem like overkill with so many other needs on the team. But that would be an incredible OL.

LT: Jonah Williams, Braeden Daniels

LG: Graham Barton, Chris Paul

OC: Lloyd Cushenberry, Ricky Stromberg

RG: Sam Cosmi

RT: Jordan Morgan, Andrew Wylie, Roger Rosengarden

I doubt both Barton and one of Morgan / Guyton fall to our 2 picks in the 2nd. And I think drafting Guyton or Morgan AND Barton at 36/40 basically eliminates later OL picks because the needs wouldn't match the BPA. Barton could be RT or LG similar to Wylie. So do you waste a late 3rd or early 4th on an OT that would be your 3rd string RT? Probably not, but it's fun to envision. That later pick would certainly go elsewhere to a position of greater need at that point.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 4

FA starts next week. For those of you who are new or have forgotten, let me summarize what it's like around these parts when FA starts.  

When the Commanders sit out the first round of FA and don't sign any big name players:

1/2 of ES Board Reaction:  THESE GUYS ARE IDIOTS! THEY'RE JUST LIKE BRUCE AND RON!!!!  SHOPPING AT THE BARGAIN BIN!!!  EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFC EAST HAS GOTTEN BETTER AND WE HAVEN'T!!!!

1/2 of ES Boar Reaction:  THIS IS AMAZING!!! BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT!!!!  DON'T OVERSPEND ON FREE AGENTS!!!!! WE HAVEN'T EVER SEEN THIS BEFORE!!!!!

When the Commanders sign a few big name free agents:

1/2 of ES Board Reaction: OMG!!!! IT'S HAPPENING!!!! IT MOVED!!!!! CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

1/2 of ES Board Reaction: IDIOTS!!!! THIS IS JUST LIKE SNYDER!!!!  BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT!!!!!

Regardless of situation, @Skinsinparadise with have ~2,349,348 posts quoting twitter, @KDawg will make generally insightful commentary which will largely be ignored, @Koolblue13 will get stoked about running the ball and playing defense, @TradeTheBeal! will comment a lot about fat boys, @Warhead36 will predict doom, @88Comrade2000 will want to fire everybody, @Conn will comment we all have lost our damn minds (and he will of course be correct), @Jumbo will threaten posters to stay on topic in ways nobody can actually understand, @MartinC will post in a British accent (chip chip cheerio), @JamesMadisonSkins will get all excited about what that means for draft day trade down scenarios, and I will blather on and on and on about how much I hate the media, Thor Nystrom, and Jay Gruden, and irritate everybody.  

This post brought to you by ~20 years of experience on the board. I love you guys.  

That is all.

PS: To those I singled out above, truly all done in jest.  Some of the best posters on the board who make this a wonderful community. I'm sure I missed a few.  Just a little fun for a Wednesday morning.  Thank you all for making this a really entertaining, and mostly insightful place to discuss our favorite team.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 16
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

FA starts next week. For those of you who are new or have forgotten, let me summarize what it's like around these parts when FA starts.  

When the Commanders sit out the first round of FA and don't sign any big name players:

1/2 of ES Board Reaction:  THESE GUYS ARE IDIOTS! THEY'RE JUST LIKE BRUCE AND RON!!!!  SHOPPING AT THE BARGAIN BIN!!!  EVERY OTHER TEAM IN THE NFC EAST HAS GOTTEN BETTER AND WE HAVEN'T!!!!

1/2 of ES Boar Reaction:  THIS IS AMAZING!!! BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT!!!!  DON'T OVERSPEND ON FREE AGENTS!!!!! WE HAVEN'T EVER SEEN THIS BEFORE!!!!!

1/2 of ES Board Reaction: OMG!!!! IT'S HAPPENING!!!! IT MOVED!!!!! CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!

1/2 of ES Board Reaction: IDIOTS!!!! THIS IS JUST LIKE SNYDER!!!!  BUILD THROUGH THE DRAFT!!!!!

Regardless of situation, @Skinsinparadise with have ~2,349,348 posts quoting twitter, @KDawg will make generally insightful commentary which will largely be ignored, @Koolblue13 will get stoked about running the ball and playing defense, @TradeTheBeal! will comment a lot about fat boys, @Warhead36 will predict doom, @88Comrade2000 will want to fire everybody, @Conn will comment we all have lost our damn minds (and he will of course be correct), @Jumbo will threaten posters to stay on topic in ways nobody can actually understand, @MartinC will post in a British accent (chip chip cheerio), @JamesMadisonSkins will get all excited about what that means for draft day trade down scenarios, and I will blather on and on and on about how much I hate the media, Thor Nystrom, and Jay Gruden, and irritate everybody.  

This post brought to you by ~20 years of experience on the board. I love you guys.  

That is all.

PS: To those I singled out above, truly all done in jest.  Some of the best posters on the board who make this a wonderful community. I'm sure I missed a few.  Just a little fun for a Wednesday morning.  Thank you all for making this a really entertaining, and mostly insightful place to discuss our favorite team.  

200.webp?cid=790b7611wq5p6myydo1a8vuokqx

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That is all.

That all I am to you. A British accent on a stick.

🙂

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That is all.

I’d comment on this but you’ll ignore it.

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Hailmary70 said:

What's everyones thoughts about bringing Chase back on a short prove it deal? I think this coaching staff could get him back to form.

I would LOL at this, except for the fact that Peters was part of the team that traded for him.

Would guess Chase would need to come on a cheap 1-2 year deal, topping at $5-6m per year, and I don't know if that will line up with his existing market.

Lot of parallels with Dante Fowler. Drafted #3 overall. Torn ACL. Traded away. Plays in Super Bowl (Rams).

Then signed by Quinn in ATL in 2020. Then signed by Dallas in 2022 and again in 2023 to one-year deals.

I would like to see Fowler here. Still has potential. Same could be said for Young, I suppose. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If you can run the ball all day and play attacking defense, you barely need a QB. FACTZ

This post brought to you by 1987. 

40 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That all I am to you. A British accent on a stick.

🙂

tenor.gif

38 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’d comment on this but you’ll ignore it.

I'm sorry, did you say something?

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

That’s 7 additions + 9 picks + 2 UDFA

I would expect a huge UDFA class this year. At least as far as camp invites go. They may be able to find a couple of diamonds in the rough there. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

LT is going to be the biggest need for us outside of QB and we have painted ourselves into a bit of a corner as it stands. Either pony up big money in FA or hope someone falls in the draft

I would do both. Tyron Smith on a  or  year deal with a rookie drafted behind him sounds like a smart play to me. 

Just now, clskinsfan said:

I would do both. Tyron Smith on a  or  year deal with a rookie drafted behind him sounds like a smart play to me. 

Gotta think that Smith would much rather go to a contender on a 1 year deal than here. I don't think it's on the table for that reason.

• Like 2

NFL Power Rankings: Commanders lead list of most interesting teams in free agency

When Josh Harris bought the Washington Commanders, his task list must have seemed endless. It's hard to quantify how badly Dan Snyder ran the franchise into the ground, though the NFLPA report cards that ranked Washington dead last among NFL teams is a start.

There were projects that weren't related to the 53-man roster, like getting a new stadium. But when it came to the on-field product, the 2024 offseason was the pivot point. Over the next couple months, the Commanders have a chance to completely change their roster and their status as perennial losers.

The two most important paths to roster building are free agency and the draft, and the Commanders are in great shape for both of them. They have a lot of draft capital, with the second overall pick, three picks in the top 40 and six in the top 103, according to Tankathon. And they have the most available cap space in the NFL, a whopping $96 million, according to Spotrac. That's $16 million more than any other team. Only three other teams have more than $70 million. Some of that cap space will go to the Commanders' rookie class, but Washington can spend on practically any free agent this offseason (though, the class isn't great).

Given the cap space and the draft picks, the intrigue over new GM Adam Peters and the general interest in one of the NFL's most visible franchises possibly fixing decades of neglect, the Commanders are the most interesting team to watch this offseason.

Peters did warn that the Commanders wouldn't be on a spending spree, which actually might be a good thing considering how indiscriminately Washington spent at times in the Snyder era with few positive results.

“There are a lot of holes we need to fill, but we will always build through the draft and supplement through free agency,” Peters told 106.7 The Fan's "Grant and Danny," via Audacy. “This year, it won’t be a big spending spree; we're not going to go out and blow all that money in year one. We're going to build a competitive team with the right types of guys, then have a great draft after that. We will find the types of players we want to build our team, supplement them with people that can really make us very competitive this year, and then draft really well to build competitive team.”

The process will be fascinating. Washington fans have to be impatient for some positive steps. Since the start of the 2000 season, the Commanders have just five playoff appearances with just one win. But there is some talent on the roster; it's not a complete rebuild situation. Having the second pick of the draft means Washington will be picking its quarterback of the near future and can worry about filling in around whoever that is. That could be with pass rushing help for the defense, a bolstered offensive line or some more playmakers around the QB to be named. Whatever the Commanders are targeting, they have the means to get it done.

The offseason is important for every team, obviously. But given what the Commanders are trying to dig out of, it can be argued this offseason is most important to them.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-power-rankings-commanders-lead-list-of-most-interesting-teams-in-free-agency-140007730.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=Sendible&utm_campaign=RSS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing to acknowledge is that FA is just as big a crapshoot as the draft but way more expensive.

For every London Fletcher there's a Jeremiah Trotter.

For every Pierre Garcon there's a Brandon Lloyd.

For every Kendall Fuller and Deangelo Hall there's a Josh Norman and William Jackson.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

One thing to acknowledge is that FA is just as big a crapshoot as the draft but way more expensive.

For every London Fletcher there's a Jeremiah Trotter.

For every Pierre Garcon there's a Brandon Lloyd.

For every Kendall Fuller and Deangelo Hall there's a Josh Norman and William Jackson.

I feel like this team picked stars of other teams and tried to change them into the role that fit the current coaching scheme.  

While there is likely some level of crap shoot to FA, I feel like it shouldn't be as drastic if the team really just learns to take advantage of a players strength.  That's the dream at least.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1