Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Words you hate

Spaceman Spiff

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I hate the term "2 for 1" in the NBA when they are referring to a team rushing to get a shot off near the end of the quarter to leave like 27+ seconds on the game clock so they have another nearly guaranteed possession.  The term makes absolutely zero sense.

You don't understand getting 2 possessions vs the other teams 1 possession? Or maybe it's just how most teams are doing it doesnt make sense? 

6 minutes ago, TK said:

The phrase “for real, for real” is one of the stupidest things I’ve heard people use. So much that when the gf uses it, I respond with “for fake, for fake”. 

💯

The way some people use it makes me believe it’s a nervous tick.

• Haha 1

Just now, The Evil Genius said:

You don't understand getting 2 possessions vs the other teams 1 possession? Or maybe it's just how most teams are doing it doesnt make sense? 

Yes I get the idea, but the phrase is not "2 vs 1" it is "2 for 1".    It's just the wording of "2 for 1" that grinds my gears.

• Thumb up 1

23 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I used to know what this word meant and I don't anymore but that's okay cause **** this word.  I'm sure @PleaseBlitz can give a good definition of it, but I absolutely, positively cannot stand the word tort.  And I saw it earlier, it made me twitch, hence why I started this thread because I was curious as to what sets you guys off.

No, I'm with you.  Torts is a nonsense word.  It's one of those leftovers from English common law that used a bunch of words from the middle ages (without the benefit of sounding fancy like latin words).  The definition is "a civil wrong," basically, when you do something to someone that isn't criminal, but you may end up owing them money.  

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

No, I'm with you.  Torts is a nonsense word.  It's one of those leftovers from English common law that used a bunch of words from the middle ages (without the benefit of sounding fancy like latin words).  The definition is "a civil wrong," basically, when you do something to someone that isn't criminal, but you may end up owing them money.  

I just hate how it sounds.  I'm perfectly fine with tart.  Swap that a with an o and my ears bleed.

Precondition - this word makes no sense. A precondition is just a condition. There is no difference. 

Irregardless - similarly nonsensical as the word above, except people actually realize it

"baby" but used in the newish, probably grammatically correct but still annoying way. As in "Is baby awake?" "Is baby hungry?" "are you bringing baby?" ugh. 

Edited by Midnight Judges
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Midnight Judges said:

Precondition - this word makes no sense. A precondition is just a condition. There is no difference. 

Irregardless - similarly dumb as the word above, except people actually realize it

"baby" but used in the newish, probably grammatically correct but still annoying way. As in "Is baby awake?" "Is baby hungry?" "are you bringing baby?" ugh. 

Yes, irregardless isn't even a word.  Neither is physicality. 

Orientate.  No, the word is orient.  No need for the extra letters to say the same thing.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I don’t hate any words, but I hate certain uses of words. Describing any part of a human being as “juicy” for example. Another is when someone’s skin is described as “creamy.” Bleh!  Words I associate with food creep me the hell out when use to describe people. One more, “nourish” when used in a business context involving leadership. Revolting.

53859be0b1ef66b2f22e26e1045cdabc.jpg

Edited by China
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, TK said:

I also have a ban hammer. Careful what you ask for. :)  

Well....that just stopped me from posting something with as many of these words as possible in it....

Edited by Xameil

1 hour ago, TK said:

I also have a ban hammer. Careful what you ask for. :)  

"HI There...*sigh, this isnt working out, and I think you should see other message boards.  No, its not you....its jus my "Rules and Guidelines" you refuse to read or follow..., no, I don't think we should follow each other on Twitter, either...")

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

bad MBA phrases i love:  

• Whose baby is that?
  • What's your angle?
  • I'll buy that!

https://flintstones.fandom.com/wiki/The_Tycoon

Cyber Lingo...

Zero Trust - if you don't know what it means, don't say we need it and ask us to implement it

DevSecOps - impossible if you keep accepting every risk we bring to you *developers cackling in background victoriously

Modernization - code for "we know our production system is trash, now we're going to officially treat it like trash until the new shinny thing is implemented or procured in 3-4 years"

High Risk Vulnerability - Prove it, or stop telling me to ask for money we both know I don't have because of budget cuts

Edited by Renegade7

Narrative...

There are certain words that become trendy to use every once in a while. They come across as terminology that make people think they know what they are talking about. Narrative, from my own casual observation, was a word used by conspiracy theorists around the rise of Trump to start a conversation about headlines and stories they didn't like and thought the media was trying to set. Kind of like they just realized through their own expertise, that narrative was some SAT word  that made them look smarter than what they are. Soon others started using it in similar situations and now is also over discussions about everything like sports. 

I hear the word, I cringe and can't wait for the fad of the use of the word narrative to pass. 

• Like 1