Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Words you hate

Spaceman Spiff

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I don't say the words I hate and I don't even like putting them in text so I can't play. 😐

You know, I started this thread all ready to share mine and then I remembered TTB can text me anytime.  Maybe this was a bad idea on my part.

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I usually hate the hot word of the day. Triggered, woke but outside of that I really hate the n word. I grew up around people who said it even when talking positively about a black person. I met my now wife whose best friend was black. I stopped using that word and will have words for anyone that says it around me. 

as I’ve gotten older, and much more so here the past couple of weeks, I am starting to get tired of profanity. It has its place. But saying the c word for penis just isn’t cutting it these days. 

Now, what do I find funny? Thanks for asking!!! Anything that makes fun of religions and gods. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Talking to an adult, they refer to their husband as 'hubs'. I think this is one of the few times you should be allowed to punch a woman in the face.

Would agree with 'triggered' too. Used by someone who can't respond to criticism and so accuses the other person of being 'triggered'.

I suppose I'm triggered by the word hubs.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

'Refute' when they mean 'deny'. You hear people saying 'I refute that' when they have offered nothing to refute it at all.

I used to like the word 'grok' from Robert Heinlien's Stanger in a Strange Land, but now it's been stolen by the AI crowd. 

30 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I tend to dislike words that are just a new way of saying something old, so the people that use it can feel special or up-to-date.

Biodynamic

Informatics

Conscious Parenting

There's a whole lingo, where made-up words are used as a shorthand for concepts. Biopsychosocial is used in sports coaching. When it's explained it kind of makes sense to describe the concept but the first time you come across it you wonder what this bull**** is.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

When people (kids) say "lookit". Or when 2 posters here use yinz because they heard some moron on tv using it and aren't from western PA. 🙄 

that-hurts-al-bundy.gif

For the record I've only ever seen yinz used here and never knew of it's existence until recently. 🤣

16 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

There's a whole lingo, where made-up words are used as a shorthand for concepts. Biopsychosocial is used in sports coaching. When it's explained it kind of makes sense to describe the concept but the first time you come across it you wonder what this bull**** is.

Right, but my point is we already have words for those concepts, so making up new words is less clear than just using the word everyone is already familiar with.  9 times out of 10, the people using it are just doing it so they sound cutting-edge.  

Biopsychosocial = holistic.

Edited by PleaseBlitz

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Right, but my point is we already have words for those concepts, so making up new words is less clear than just using the word everyone is already familiar with.  9 times out of 10, the people using it are just doing it so they sound cutting-edge.  

Biopsychosocial = holistic.

All-inclusive > holistic > biopsychosocial

• Haha 1

I hate the term "2 for 1" in the NBA when they are referring to a team rushing to get a shot off near the end of the quarter to leave like 27+ seconds on the game clock so they have another nearly guaranteed possession.  The term makes absolutely zero sense.