Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alternative Uniforms

Redskins4ever1965

I'm glad someone started this thread.  I will fully admit that I am a uniform nerd, and love talking about them.

The black ones are atrocious.  Just awful.  Black was never in our color scheme, nor should it ever be.  Plus, the helmet looks like a 6-year old designed it.  A teeny-tiny "w" on the front?  Ugh.

I'm all for an alternative look in today's NFL...but they could have done SO much better:  A yellow helmet with the red "W" would look sharp (just basically flip-flop the current helmet), or even a white helmet, and you could use the "W" logo that is red with the yellow outline.  Both would be SO much better than those terrible black uniforms.

But while we're talking uniforms, I actually really, really like the red helmet.  I LOVE the matte finish, and those lids just POP in the sunshine.  I would leave those alone.

Add some stripes to the pants.  Even just a single stripe is fine.  MAYBE the red ones can stay solid, but get something on the white ones.  And please, STOP pairing the red pants with the red jerseys.  It's too much.  White pants only, or, add yellow pants.  

Finally, ditch the black trim on the white jerseys.  It's  a simple fix:  just swap out the black for yellow.  Easy peasy, and would look so much better.

22 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm fine with an alternate black jersey but the one we have suck. Looks way too Steeler-ish. You can make black with our normal colors work but ours don't.

Okay, even though I HATE the black uniforms, let me see if this would be better...

A black helmet (preferably matte) with the "W" on the sides.  Dump the mini "w' from the front.  I might be OKAY with the black jerseys, but paired with yellow or white pants.  Black helmet, black jersey & black pants is just too much.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is supposed to be a clean break from our former name

Not knowing how far we can go in this thread, I'll just say that trying to make a " clean break ", has become extremely awkward.  Announcers are tripping over themselves when talking about our former players, and most of those players aren't going to call themselves what we are right now.

Over the next couple years we will see changes that have more of a connection to our history than less.

Just now, Spearfeather said:

Not knowing how far we can go in this thread, I'll just say that trying to make a " clean break ", has become extremely awkward.  Announcers are tripping over themselves when talking about our former players, and most of those players aren't going to call themselves what we are right now.

Over the next couple years we will see changes that have more of a connection to our history than less.

I've had a similar observation, but i believe it'll be up to Harris and NFL to figure this out because not all our history has been good.

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

it'll be up to Harris and NFL to figure this out because not all our history has been good.

Not all of the NFL's history has been great either, but  they don't disregard everything from that era, and I guarantee we will not be changing colors under Harris and Rales, who was seen at the first game wearing a " Redskins " jersey. Not a Commanders jersey.

Edited by Spearfeather

I'm in the minority here for sure, but I like the black and think just about all teams can pull off a black alternate jersey as long as their primary colors are in it. If we were playing well I think fans and the players would embrace the black as an alternate jersey but I get the dislike from those who hate it. You can all rip on me now but I don't care because nothing can be worse than losing to Tommy Devito at home. 

• Like 1

I don't begrudge anyone's opinion.  It's all subjective anyway.

Here's where I stand:

Switch the yellow numbers to red with a yellow outline on the black unis.  Bam.  Black jersey fixed.  That's an EPIC look.  Take the "W" off the front of the helmet and the numbers.  Put the red W with yellow outline on the black helmet.  That is an epic alternate uni right there, even if we redesign the other two and change the name.  

The white unis should be burned.  Nothing redeemable there whatsoever.

The red jersey looks fine except for the name of the team above the numbers that is five times too big.  

Get rid of the stupid matte helmet.  It looks extremely soft.  I hate matte helmets with a vengeance; they make the decals on them look like cheap 25 cent stickers from a gumball machine.  Add to it our stupid orange-yellow electrical tape decals and you get one putrid helmet.  We look like we didn't have money to put together a real uniform, top to bottom, while the other teams in the division look professional. 

My ultimate choice though:  Just change the damn stupid name and start all over design-wise, IMHO.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I'm in the minority here for sure, but I like the black and think just about all teams can pull off a black alternate jersey as long as their primary colors are in it. If we were playing well I think fans and the players would embrace the black as an alternate jersey but I get the dislike from those who hate it. You can all rip on me now but I don't care because nothing can be worse than losing to Tommy Devito at home. 

Admittedly you are correct, if we were 5-0 with that uniform, I’d be calling for wearing it every week! 😂 I don’t actually hate it. In fact, I don’t really care about the uniform colors as much as most. Maybe it’s superstition, but I’m just all about removing as many things Snyder as possible. 

• Thumb up 1

My take: 

• Get rid of matte finish on helmet.
  • Change helmet logo to burgundy W with gold outline.
  • Restore the three stripes from the Redskins helmet.
  • Get rid of team name on jersey.
  • White pants with burgundy jerseys, burgundy pants with white jerseys, unless it's one of those "color rush" games where both teams are monochrome.
  • White jersey needs to be redone from scratch.
  • Alternate unis should be throwback. This is a storied franchise. They can substitute a logo if needed.

2 hours ago, profusion said:

I like these ideas! 

I do like the matte black helmet with thee same W you mention above for alternate unis.

I can't stand the rest of the black uni parts

• Like 1

The all black unis is an utterly complete failure.

Nothing resembling the natural royalty of the burgundy & gold. Leave it to Tanya or whoever to mess with something til its broke, and the black unis are a broken disaster.

Burgundy & gold. Thats how Theismann did it, thats how Riggins did it, and it worked out very well. 

I'm impartial to the older look with white over red and red over white like the ones during the mid-80's, and if they wanna get creative go with the all-white with heavy doses of red and yellow { or burgundy and gold } like they had around the 2005 timeline. 

Oh, and going back to EVERYTHING original wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• Thumb up 3

10 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Almost all the NFL teams have a black alternative one way or another. I don't mind ours. Just get rid of the helmets.

I don't get why all teams do have one really.

It removes singularity from each one and doesn't make much of a difference.

No, I don't like our all black unis. They may or may not look cool, but that's definately not our color scheme at all.

That's kinda like the Raiders having some Burgundy and Gold alternate uniform... That could look cool, but wouldn't be Raiders at all.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

On 11/21/2023 at 7:16 PM, woodpecker said:

All of the Tanya Snyder uniforms are tainted and must go. 
The Dan Snyder name is also tainted and must go.

Until these things happen, the Snyder curse will continue to hang over this franchise.

And hopefully a new name comes with it. Must wash off all of Dan's stink from this team. 

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

On 11/22/2023 at 11:59 AM, profusion said:

My take: 

• Get rid of matte finish on helmet.
  • White pants with burgundy jerseys, burgundy pants with white jerseys, unless it's one of those "color rush" games where both teams are monochrome.
  • White jersey needs to be redone from scratch.
  • Alternate unis should be throwback. This is a storied franchise. They can substitute a logo if needed.

No substituting the logo.  You wanna get rid of Redskins because people cant agree if its a slur or not fine, but the logo was created by a Blackfoot tribe member to honor another Blackfoot tribal Chief name Chief Two Guns White Calf whose likeness also appears on the Buffalo nickel.  Its not a throwback without it.  But I guess we could do the spear throwbacks or yellow R throwbacks too.  If anything we should have kept the logo and jerseys and changed the name and it would have made the best compromise.  Those who wanted a change can be happy and those that didnt can still visibly recognize the same team on the field.  Now we are in this hell with a crappy nickname, crappy unis and helmets, and a goofy ass Tuddy as a mascot.

10 minutes ago, PerryMason said:

No substituting the logo.  You wanna get rid of Redskins because people cant agree if its a slur or not fine, but the logo was created by a Blackfoot tribe member to honor another Blackfoot tribal Chief name Chief Two Guns White Calf whose likeness also appears on the Buffalo nickel.  Its not a throwback without it.  But I guess we could do the spear throwbacks or yellow R throwbacks too.  If anything we should have kept the logo and jerseys and changed the name and it would have made the best compromise.  Those who wanted a change can be happy and those that didnt can still visibly recognize the same team on the field.  Now we are in this hell with a crappy nickname, crappy unis and helmets, and a goofy ass Tuddy as a mascot.

The logo is never coming back in any capacity and it was never going to be able to stay with a new name like you suggest, it doesn’t matter what the history of it is. 

I hope Harris takes another swing at the entire rebrand and chooses a new name, logo, identity, everything—but the old logo (and name, obviously) is never coming back. 

• Thumb up 2