Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread ~ The Commanders @ The Seachickens!

zCommander

Before the season if your told me that after 10 games Howell would be closing in on 3000 passing yards and have 17 passing TDs I would have bet money we would be 6-4 not 4-6.

The defense was supposed to carry us while a young QB developed. Instead that QB is carrying the whole team on his back. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3
  • Thumb up 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Ball Security said:

This is precisely why I’d move on from Bienemy. Hard to play complimentary football his way. The end of the first half could have been a disaster.

I dunno. He is still learning and its really hard not to give him some credit for how Howell is preforming. There is no place else in the NFL where a young QB plays this well and his OC gets zero credit for developing him. The we entire name of the game is developing a young QB and we have a guy who is, like it or not, doing that. His strategy is not conventional by any means. But its ****ing working. Breaking that up while they are still ascending seems like cutting off our nose in spite of our face at this point. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

This is precisely why I’d move on from Bienemy. Hard to play complimentary football his way. The end of the first half could have been a disaster.

The short passes are way more effective/efficient than running plays for us and serve a similar function in terms of ball control. 

A 6 yard pass to a receiver tackled in bounds uses as much clock as a running play. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Also TOP was 29:33 to 30:27. Basically equal. We held the ball for almost exactly half the game and are at the top of the sport in the last 4 weeks. 

• Like 3

This team is a train wreck. The defense is totally bad.We need cornerbacks,safetys, linebackers and defensive ends. The offense is just as bad they need LT ,RT, LG, C and Te.Who ever the next gm is has his work cut out for him. I don't know if 90 million in cap space and 5 picks in top 100 is enough to fix what Ronmart has done. 

Edited by Ghedrick
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

My problem with the offense is we are TE focused and Logan Thomas is not the strength of his offense. McLaurin and Dotson are, but they're not getting the ball. EB seems unable to do so.

A defense can take anything away if they want to.  Today Seattle decided they were going to take away Terry and Dotson. 

You have to make them pay for they.  And we kidof did with Robinson, Gibison and to a lesser extent Thomas.

You can’t always scheme a guy open as a first read.  The defense gets paid too.  

The key is to have something complementary so if they take away one thing you have something else.  Which today we did.  

The lull in the offense in the middle of that game came down to 3 plays: they went 0-3 on third downs.  The 3rd downs were 3,3 and 4 yards respectively.   

One was a total OL flub.  One was a slightly off pass to Dotson.  The other was to Samuel but I don’t remember the situation.  

You’ve got to convert short 3rd downs.  If you don’t the offense stalls.  

They did early and they did late.  They didn’t in the middle.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The short passes are way more effective/efficient than running plays for us and serve a similar function in terms of ball control. 

A 6 yard pass to a receiver tackled in bounds uses as much clock as a running play. 

They had four sub 2 min drives in the first half alone.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

They had four sub 2 min drives in the first half alone.

You wont find a team with a young QB that doesnt do that sometimes. Running the ball is a major part of the problem. Your point is bad. Time of possession is very simple stat. There is very little nuance. Either you hold the ball or you dont. We do. Its a bad argument. 

11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The old West Coast "Long handoff." He is a Walsh-Holmgren-Reid disciple, through and through

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I’ve thought about it every now and then. He had a Zornish vacuous look at times during the game like he’s perpetually confused and his off the field comments come off ditto 

I didn’t get that same vibe before this year but this season he looks like he’s out of his depth 

You know, it's funny you say this, SIP. Me and my son today said the same damned thing. It's like he's in some kind of cloudy state like he's not all there.

We pondered whether or not the cancer scare, dealing with Snyders bull****, the death of his mom, or the combo platter has simply left him in a state of mind that isn't conducive to doing his job effectively. 

I mean hell, anyone with half a brain cell could see that Del Rio should have been ousted along with Turner.  But RR just keeps trotting the same bs out there knowing full well that his job is on the line (not to mention his staff not named Del Rio) with a new ownership. 

I am not as hard on RR as some here are. The man has went through more **** than most of has in this time frame. He'll, he deserves a spot in heaven just for putting up with that imps constant **** ups.

I mean, think about it like this: he weathered all the scandals Snyder had engaged in, answering yo the media about it instead of talking football, AND had to beat cancer at the same time. I'm pretty damned sure that would affect any of us.

But I digress, this is a production league and he has not produced the results.  The gaffs this year has been particularly alarming and its like he's checked out without realizing he's done so.

It's sad really when you think about it. But it is time for a change. I truly believe he has lost this team and these players are hungry to win....consistently. 

We have good pieces and a franchise QB.  The ownership group is not about to squander this opportunity.  As they should not.

RR should be proud of what he did here. But he and his staff should be gone after this season without a doubt. And this game cemented this for me and my son. But as I told my totally frustrated son, we are going to have a brighter future ahead now that Lil Napoleon is gone. 

HTTR!

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

I was thinking the same thing... gonna post that the Day After thread.  That St Juuuuce has the bad attitude/entitlement vibe as Bree.  But bree gone got himself that SB trophy.  ugh

He also got himself six criminal charges a few months ago. Got arrested in a stolen vehicle with two AK-47s, more than five pounds of weed, and 62 grams of shrooms. Bashaud about to give a whole new meaning to "lockdown corner".

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/super-bowl-champion-bashaud-breeland-facing-multiple-charges-including-possession-of-drugs-firearms/ 

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Let’s lift the clouds a bit. 

This has been a very successful season. We got rid of Snyder and have new ownership. That in itself is a MASSIVE win. The new owner has to show what he’s all about still but you could pick someone at random of any street corner and have a better owner than Dan Snyder - this almost can’t help but be a huge step forwards.

We have found a franchise QB. On a rookie deal. For a 5th round pick. We can focus on building around him not using more and more picks and/or cap space chasing a QB.

We will likely end up with a pick in the low teens. Should be able to get an OT with that pick and start to address the glaring issue on offense.

Lots to look forward to. 

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

He also got himself six criminal charges a few months ago. Got arrested in a stolen vehicle with two AK-47s, more than five pounds of weed, and 62 grams of shrooms. Bashaud about to give a whole new meaning to "lockdown corner".

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/super-bowl-champion-bashaud-breeland-facing-multiple-charges-including-possession-of-drugs-firearms/ 

If you are going to screw up - go big. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Command The 414 said:

Just imagine if our running game was even close to being good too… not 1 100yd game this season… love Howell and his maturity and growth but dang man having a running attack and even a slight threat would be nice too

I think Robinson is the guy to be special as an early down back. He flashed his receiving chops today. However the issue with our team that has Ron's fingerprints all over it is roster building without any focus on the offensive line. In that respect he has been atrocious and the running game is inconsistent at best.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

We always seem to allow some sort of record each week.

Honestly I’m just thrilled the 76ers are looking good consistently every season. This just gives me hope about Josh Harris and this franchise , a new rebrand , new coaching /FO , Stadium. These  last two months gonna be rough but come 2024 in February it all starts with a new era and hope .

Edited by Commander202
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I dunno. He is still learning and its really hard not to give him some credit for how Howell is preforming. There is no place else in the NFL where a young QB plays this well and his OC gets zero credit for developing him. The we entire name of the game is developing a young QB and we have a guy who is, like it or not, doing that. His strategy is not conventional by any means. But its ****ing working. Breaking that up while they are still ascending seems like cutting off our nose in spite of our face at this point. 

Happens all the time where the QB is obviously a talent and the OC is obviously making his life harder rather than easier. Herbert, Lawrence, Tua are all examples. Herbert the best straight up comparison as he was producing great numbers but still obviously being held back.

I really don’t have patience for a 55 year old man to be “learning” on the job while our (seemingly) franchise QB hangs in the balance. He’d immediately be in the top 10 oldest HC’s in the league (higher after firings/retirements) and still learning his primary job as playcaller? And then he needs to manage the entire team as HC (and manage the media) while he also learns playcalling on the job? That isn’t even taking into account whether he has the leadership qualities, interpersonal communication skills, and networking ability to put together a highly qualified and competitive coaching staff and then lead them all (and the roster). It’s too much of a leap for a guy whose base job—offensive play calling—already has plenty of flaws and growing pains evident in it. 

On top of it, he’s been slow to adjust (in-game and between games), rigid with his scheme regardless of our strengths and weaknesses, and stubborn, which are not attributes I value in someone who is still learning. 

I don’t see it. Howell will be fine with another playcaller, he picked up this complex Reid WCO well enough. I want somebody qualified and coveted, someone who GM candidates and coaching assistants are clamoring to work with—not somebody that nobody else wants. I’m not interested in “not rocking the boat”, I want to take this thing into the dry dock and build a damn luxury yacht from the hull up like a real organization. 

Howell is the talent to covet and prioritize here, not Bieniemy. And hot GM and HC candidates will line up to walk into a situation with him, buckets of premium draft picks, and almost $100M in cap space. We’d be doing Howell a disservice to settle just because he’s making do. 

Edited by Conn
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1