Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Patriots

zCommander

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm going to be clear about my thoughts about EB:

I like him.  I think he's the best OC we've had here since McVay, and I don't think it's remotely close.  I have always liked the Reid offense, which is off of the WCO tree.  

I don't think there's a chance in hell if Scott Turner was the OC, we'd be having the type of success we've seen this year offensively.  I think we'd see another plodding, run-first try "meh" offense we've seen in years past.  

We're already averaging 3 points more per game than last year, which is not bad given we had 2 absolute clunkers of offensive games with 3 and 7 points.  If we continue to score between 20 and 30 points per game, that average is going to go up.

However, there are 3 things which I think are extremely fair criticisms:

1. End of game situations with the lead.  We haven't had many, and we've failed to maintain offense in both of them. We try to milk the close with a quarter to go, instead of just sticking with what's working.

2. When we get inside the 35, we start getting greedy. Instead of just continuing to just move the ball, we start taking shots at the end zone.  

3. We run WAY WAY WAY too much on 2nd and 10, which is statistically the absolute worst time to run the ball.  I'll even give you a few more 1st down runs if you stop the insanity of 2nd and 10 runs, which almost best case scenario puts you in a 3rd and 6.  

It's not perfect.  There is no perfect. I still like EB.

I get that this is more nuanced than "He sucks he should be fired" or "He's great he should be the next head coach" 

I think there are things he does well, things he doesn't.  I do think he takes some criticism for no reason on certain things at times.  

He also had a BAD game against the Giants.  Like a super bad game.  I'm really interested to see how he learned from that and if they have better success in 2 weeks in the re-match.  

Solid points but I was hoping EB would be a bigger upgrade over Turner. Hes better but not by much. And Im curious how different the offense would look under Turner with a stronger armed QB.

• Like 5

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Solid points but I was hoping EB would be a bigger upgrade over Turner. Hes better but not by much. And Im curious how different the offense would look under Turner with a stronger armed QB.

So my counter to that is Howell also has been growing and developing, as has EB. 

There is a chance you see a lot more consistency the remainder of the year and the offense continues to improve.

Turner was just bad. 

We still have 8 games to go. This could be a legit top 10 offense by the end of the season.  There are always growing pains with a new system and a new QB.

We’ve already scored 30+ points more times this year than we did in the previous 2 years combined, I believe.  

If we had anything good from the defense we’d have at least another win or two even with the offense being inconsistent.  Hell, we might have one of the Eagles games if the defense wasn’t total crap 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

No we're not. We're barely in the same sport as the top teams.

The Chiefs Dolphins game was impressive. Spags vs Vic was a great battle.

All these older defensive and OL coaches matter so much and there isn't a lot of them.

Im not saying we are super bowl Contenders but we are a top 12 team in the league if we

won those games

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't think there's a chance in hell if Scott Turner was the OC, we'd be having the type of success we've seen this year offensively.  I think we'd see another plodding, run-first try "meh" offense we've seen in years past.  

Good post, but this part I’m not sure about. Turner wanted to sling it with Wentz, they talked about it all offseason and we saw that early before it all fell apart very quickly. The run heavy dinosaur **** seemed mandated by Rivera  (and to hide Heinicke). 

Turner wasn’t good I’m just not sure you’d see the plodding 80’s **** with Howell, who can finally chuck the ball and produce what we wanted from the misguided Wentz acquisition. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, Howell was pretty good but Stroud, man, do you look stupid. :P

Better at pass blocking and anchoring than Charles.  Tougher at the point of attack. But not a great athlete, so not going to be great on the move or in space.

But he's better than Charles.  

Better than Charles. A player Matsko wouldn't let on the field for 3 years and then was named a day one starter until injury or benching or whatever.

Another stupid decision by your beloved OC for some head scratching reason.

5 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Im not saying we are super bowl Contenders but we are a top 12 team in the league if we

won those games

We're barely a top 12 team in the NFC

• Haha 2

Turner as a personality, I think it's fair to say that he sucked considering he lost the locker room. But his scheming ability is a wash to me. Heinicke is starting in the NFL because Turner schemed his weaknesses into a pill that teams and fanbases are somehow willing to swallow. We got a very, very short view of what he could have done with Howell during the finale. It didn't look bad.

This post isn't a complaint that we should have kept Turner. It's a complaint that EB hasn't seemingly done much more than be a personality that the locker room can accept. Still half a season to go, but I'm mild on EB. Could be better, could be worse.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Eagles have lost 4 of the last 5 to the Cowboys and nobody has won the East in back to back years in almost two decades, so I think the Cowboys have the edge.  Blahh

Unfortunately the Eagles are going to end that this year. In fact I got them in the Super Bowl again 2 years in a row. As much as I hate the Chiefs they're the only ones to stop them from getting their 2nd Lombardi. I hope I'm wrong. I don't want to see either team playing in the SB.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Better than Charles. A player Matsko wouldn't let on the field for 3 years and then was named a day one starter until injury or benching or whatever.

Another stupid decision by your beloved OC for some head scratching reason.

We're barely a top 12 team in the NFC

No argument - my comment is only if we had won those games

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Dolphins are overrated. Their offensive numbers are inflated by that 70 point game. Theyve been blasted by every good team theyve played. Their best win is the mediocre Chargers lol

Wait and see what they do to our defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomwvr said:

won those games

Are you drunk?  Every team in the league is a top 12 team IF they win “those” games. 🤦‍♂️ 

this board tonight, woof 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Dolphins are overrated. Their offensive numbers are inflated by that 70 point game. Theyve been blasted by every good team theyve played. Their best win is the mediocre Chargers lol

Dolphins schedule full of weak team so they should make playoffs but get blown out in playoff game.

5 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

Are you drunk?  Every team in the league is a top 12 team IF they win “those” games. 🤦‍♂️ 

this board tonight, woof 

To be fair, scoring 30+ in a loss is very rare.

It's happened only 6 times so far this season, 2 of those were us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Philly just imploded in a Washington fashion. 3 penalties for 35 yards to allow the cowboys the ball on the 6 yard line with 27 seconds left. Cowboys then shot themselves in the foot in corresponding fashion with a false start and sack allowed, with no timeouts left. Then incompletion, then somehow a delay of game lol. Comedy of errors on both sides. 

Edited by Conn

30 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

this board tonight, woof 

Jesus you cant read the older comments. 
all i said to start is the two losses to the giants and bears destroyed this season and if they had won this would be a different season with the qb play 

Just now, tomwvr said:

Jesus you cant read the older comments. 
all i said to start is the two losses to the giants and bears destroyed this season and if they had won this would be a different season with the qb play 

His point is every bad or mediocre team has “those two games” that would change their fortunes and make them a different team. Including teams better than us. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

This explanation is as weak as the original call. 

Translation: "Yeah we ****ed up on that call. But I can't admit that openly so instead I'll pretend that the player did something to deserve the penalty that he clearly didn't actually do."

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Turner was predictable..EB uses motion allot better and gets mismatches. I just remember Turner running into the teeth of the D and NOT using screens and edge plays (I remember screaming at the TV on several occasions). I enjoyed the play selection the last 2 weeks. Turner would have never schemed that up