Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Patriots

zCommander

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

Still...58 total yards of offense??

If I drop back to pass, and just hand the ball off to you Blue, we would still get more than 58 total yards over the course of a game. I'm sure of it.

You would get -220 yards, but I appreciate your confidence 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Crazy how many young QBs are getting run this year in the NFL due to injuries and poor play. And Howell easily looks better than all of them, minus Stroud. 

Stroud has looked bananas.

I'd agree Howell has been far better than the likes of Jordan Love, Bryce Young, and Anthony Richardson. Howell has even outplayed Clayton Tune.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Conn said:

I don’t worry much about that. Howell has basically been playing at this level since week 1: only the OL adjustments and play calling adjustments have really changed. Makes me think he can do the same thing in another (hopefully better) offense under a better coaching staff.  And he’ll just keep getting better the more he sees out of NFL defenses, so he’ll have a better knowledge base to build from in his next offense. 

He is getting crazy experience. The number of snaps he gets a week compared to other rookies is insane. He will be ready to run whatever comes next im sure, too. But also I’m worried about it I can’t help it 

34 minutes ago, Conn said:

We’re all different, I respect that. These games are empty to me, nothing exciting about it at all aside from Howell’s play. I get it though 

I just watched the game with a bunch of Pats fans, that was fun!  Listening to them **** and moan about Mac and belichick was music to my ears.   Now I want them to win some games so they don't get Maye.  

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah they wen pretty conservative. Which was annoying. Up by 3 and you're going to turtle?

We're super lucky that the Pats offense is crap generally and more specifically that JuJu got butterfingers on that INT to seal the game.

the Pats D also got more aggressive.  Seemed like that was the most pressure Sam felt during the game.  Also, the Pats offense is crap and one of their TDs came off a short field TD from a turnover

Edited by MrJL
  • Like 1

Just now, tomwvr said:

Just think win the bears and giants game and we are golden.

No we're not. We're barely in the same sport as the top teams.

The Chiefs Dolphins game was impressive. Spags vs Vic was a great battle.

All these older defensive and OL coaches matter so much and there isn't a lot of them.

Just now, Llevron said:

He is getting crazy experience. The number of snaps he gets a week compared to other rookies is insane. He will be ready to run whatever comes next im sure, too. But also I’m worried about it I can’t help it 

Yep, I said this after week 1 or 2, that even though what EB was doing was leading Howell to get sacked out of this plane of existence, he was getting double the pass play reps as other young QBs. Double the looks from defenses, double the experience and double the successes and mistakes to learn from. High risk, high reward is what I called it. I still prefer the way they’re protecting him now obviously and he’s still getting tons of looks. But the play calling (after way too many weeks) has finally been adjusted to account for it with shorter passes and more opportune run calls. 

Still, instead of protecting him from himself he’s getting TONS of looks that young guys don’t usually get. His development, if he’s got “it”, will be supercharged because of it. The next staff will have to thank EB for that, if Howell makes it through healthy.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Just think win the bears and giants game and we are golden.

If we win those games, we don't make those trades (which will help us in the long run) and we would be sitting at 6-3, and Harris might think Ron is a competent coach.   Stinking up the joint in those games are a lose the battle but win the war type moments.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Best scenario is he announces he’s ready, they name him the starter that Monday, Wednesday they announce he’s got COViD, and Sunday he’s in a hospital on a ventilator. He’s discharged COVID free middle of the following week but stepping out of the wheelchair at the hospital front door he ruptures his other Achilles. 

giphy.gif

But tell us how you really feel.  :ols:

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I think Howell gives us a chance every week.

Coaching holds this team bacm

Specifically defensive coaching.  

As much as we can quibble with some situational stuff, and hope some aspects improve, it’s tough to be too critical of an offense that’s consistently putting up mis 20’s+ points and has over 400 yards back to back.  

Definitely things to improve on but if I told you we’d have this type of production at the mid point of the season, I think most people would be pretty happy.  

Defense is just a massive disappointment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

As much as we can quibble with some situational stuff, and hope some aspects improve, it’s tough to be too critical of an offense that’s consistently putting up mis 20’s+ points and has over 400 yards back to back.  

Definitely things to improve on but if I told you we’d have this type of production at the mid point of the season, I think most people would be pretty happy.  

You are just asking for it now lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I dont love EB either. He calls a good game for the most part but too many WTF plays in critical moments.

He was bailed out today by Howell.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I dont love EB either. He calls a good game for the most part but too many WTF plays in critical moments.

He was bailed out today by Howell.

Something I'm trying to figure out about EB is why he seems to suddenly stop doing things that work. The short passing attack was consistently working in this game but instead of waiting until the Pats adjusted he started calling longer developing plays, etc.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I like the coaching he has around him. Stroud and Howell could be the future of the league.

Agreed. I should add, that wasn’t a knock on Howell because Howell has been pretty solid for us. 

• Like 1