Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Patriots

zCommander

I have a Pats fan that was so damn obnoxious during the Tom years. I told him that the Pats sucked prior to Tom and they are going to suck afterwards. Yesterday he told me he didn’t even care if they won or not. He said Mac Jones sucks and then I reminded him that Billicheck does as well and he just remained quiet. 

It was nice, peaceful even.

Furthermore, if Gates is that bad at calling protections and blocking, just cut his ass now. He has no value. No need to wait. Surely there is someone on the street that we can grab and has the potential to do better than a guy that cannot do any part of his job well or even at all. He might as well not be on the field if he plays.

Can he play a different position that doesn’t require brains, strength or technique? 

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Probably not, but this season we've been much better when we play man vs when we play zone.

Of course it could also be that we only play man against bad WRs so the numbers get inflated.

Metcalf, Lockett, and Smith-Njigba will be a handful for sure.

Better in man than zone?    I haven't paid attention personally.  But I know Logan Paulsen and Nick from PFF who is a Commanders fan referenced more man ealry this season than zone and they struggiled with it. Nick tought they'd ultmately go back to more zone because that's what they were better at last season.

But maybe now its turning the other way with cover 1, etc.  It helps to play the Pats.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

The league is taking away blind side QB sacks. It was a damn good idea to jettison Chase for whatever he could fetch especially since he would think he is worth FAR more than we should have offered him. Whats the point of overpaying for a passing rushing RDE when the league is penalizing for sacks. We dodged that bullet.

If KJ led with his helmet in the lower back old school he'd have gotten suspended of the rest of the season.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Better in man than zone?    I haven't paid attention personally.  But I know Logan Paulsen and Nick from PFF who is a Commanders fan referenced more man ealry this season than zone and they struggiled with it. Nick tought they'd ultmately go back to more zone because that's what they were better at last season.

But maybe now its turning the other way.  

I had found a graphic showing teams man vs zone by week charted for all teams... and now I cant find it. But teams change it up weekly...

My question still remains, however. Is our heavy use of zone match counted as "zone" even though some the DB end up covering a man?  Maybe those should be considered 50/50

Best I can find:

image.png.5db7c9964cfaa56ff56e25938348f2ce.png

Edited by RandyHolt

3 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Furthermore, if Gates is that bad at calling protections and blocking, just cut his ass now. He has no value. No need to wait. Surely there is someone on the street that we can grab and has the potential to do better than a guy that cannot do any part of his job well or even at all. He might as well not be on the field if he plays.

Can he play a different position that doesn’t require brains, strength or technique? 

I was thinking the same thing.  What happens if Larsen get hurt, we go back to 10 sacks per game?  Cut him and sign somebody...anybody. Paging Keith Ismail.

• Like 1

Cutting Gates would be admitting that you don't have the chops to identify talent.  It's not going to happen.  Rivera is hoping for another year so that he can claim Gates competed during training camp but a rookie or second year player was just too good.  Suggested Rivera talking points  "We had high hopes for Gates but he had some nagging injuries last year and then Stromberg opened eyes during training camp.  That's what football is all about....competition." 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PlayAction said:

Cutting Gates would be admitting that you don't have the chops to identify talent.  It's not going to happen.  Rivera is hoping for another year so that he can claim Gates competed during training camp but a rookie or second year player was just too good.  Suggested Rivera talking points  "We had high hopes for Gates but he had some nagging injuries last year and then Stromberg opened eyes during training camp.  That's what football is all about....competition." 

I was going to say it would be delusional of Ron to think he will get another year, but then I remembered that this is the same guy who had no clue we were out of the playoff race after a game last season and who didn't throw a challenge flag vs the Eagles on what was an incredibly obvious incomplete pass on one of the biggest plays of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlayAction said:

You either cut him as a June 1st cut or keep him because it's a wash to cut or keep.

Likely Gates becomes a reserve guy for one more year. Wouldn't be the worst case. Sure, a massive overpayment but we've seen worse. 

They should be drafting two day 2 OL next year, and at least one needs to start at LG. Gates days as a starter here are done. Ricky will take over for Larsen at C next year.

Leno + Daniels (4th, '23) 

2nd Rnd '24 + Paul

Ricky (3rd, '23) + Larsen

Cosmi (2nd, '21) + Gates

Wiley + 2nd Rnd '24

'24 1st will be a LT.