Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders @ The Patriots

zCommander

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Something I'm trying to figure out about EB is why he seems to suddenly stop doing things that work. The short passing attack was consistently working in this game but instead of waiting until the Pats adjusted he started calling longer developing plays, etc.

I think he gets countered and doesn’t know what to go to next. Like he has a plan, plan works, defense adjusts and he just flops. 

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Jake Ferguson isn’t special, but another functional starting TE I liked in recent years that we passed on. Starting him in both my dynasty leagues today. Rivera has made the position so much harder than it needs to be 

Ferguson wasn’t looking so good for three quarters today. I took him in DFS and was afraid I’d get a healthy goose egg.

Just now, Ball Security said:

Ferguson wasn’t looking so good for three quarters today. I took him in DFS and was afraid I’d get a healthy goose egg.

We talking about the same guy? Dallas game just started and he’s having a big game already 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Something I'm trying to figure out about EB is why he seems to suddenly stop doing things that work. The short passing attack was consistently working in this game but instead of waiting until the Pats adjusted he started calling longer developing plays, etc.

because he's trying to keep ahead of the game.  You figure the other team is going to figure out a way to stop what is working eventually unless you're totally superior to them.

1 hour ago, Chris 44 said:

I hope they change all that going forward because team coverage kinda blows right now.

it’s like Full Metal Jacket.  The coverage doesn’t blow, it sucks. I can’t imagine why an NFL franchise would have only a YouTube radio broadcast and post game show.  That is so second class that it had to be an attempt by Snyder to just **** the fan base on his way out the door. Not to mention that the radio broadcast team is clearly designed to be the worst in the NFL. Anyone who’s heard it understands it

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MrJL said:

because he's trying to keep ahead of the game.  You figure the other team is going to figure out a way to stop what is working eventually unless you're totally superior to them.

But he just ends up outsmarting himself because the defense hasn't even adjusted yet. Usually you wait until they adjust and then you have a new plan in your back pocket and you go to that. 

20 minutes ago, dyst said:

Not sure I’m rooting for Giants to lose. I don’t want them near a top draft pick to be able to pick up a legit QB.

They have got a LOT of money committed to Jones. They could draft a QB still I guess but they can’t cut or trade Jones (not that anyone would trade for him). 

Just now, Conn said:

Looks like his knee, potentially 

Guy can’t catch a break. Well …

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CommanderDOOM said:

So embarrassing losing to the ****ing Giants and Bears.

Those two games are what probably get this coaching staff and front office fired. Might be two of the best results of the season when looked at that way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I'm going to be clear about my thoughts about EB:

I like him.  I think he's the best OC we've had here since McVay, and I don't think it's remotely close.  I have always liked the Reid offense, which is off of the WCO tree.  

I don't think there's a chance in hell if Scott Turner was the OC, we'd be having the type of success we've seen this year offensively.  I think we'd see another plodding, run-first try "meh" offense we've seen in years past.  

We're already averaging 3 points more per game than last year, which is not bad given we had 2 absolute clunkers of offensive games with 3 and 7 points.  If we continue to score between 20 and 30 points per game, that average is going to go up.

However, there are 3 things which I think are extremely fair criticisms:

1. End of game situations with the lead.  We haven't had many, and we've failed to maintain offense in both of them. We try to milk the close with a quarter to go, instead of just sticking with what's working.

2. When we get inside the 35, we start getting greedy. Instead of just continuing to just move the ball, we start taking shots at the end zone.  

3. We run WAY WAY WAY too much on 2nd and 10, which is statistically the absolute worst time to run the ball.  I'll even give you a few more 1st down runs if you stop the insanity of 2nd and 10 runs, which almost best case scenario puts you in a 3rd and 6.  

It's not perfect.  There is no perfect. I still like EB.

I get that this is more nuanced than "He sucks he should be fired" or "He's great he should be the next head coach" 

I think there are things he does well, things he doesn't.  I do think he takes some criticism for no reason on certain things at times.  

He also had a BAD game against the Giants.  Like a super bad game.  I'm really interested to see how he learned from that and if they have better success in 2 weeks in the re-match.  

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think he gets countered and doesn’t know what to go to next. Like he has a plan, plan works, defense adjusts and he just flops. 

I dont think weve had one good coaching game yet. Our wins are either a few guys making great individual plays to swing games or the opposing Qb sucking.

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I benched Stroud for Howell today.

Well, Howell was pretty good but Stroud, man, do you look stupid. :P

15 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

serviceable I suppose.

Better at pass blocking and anchoring than Charles.  Tougher at the point of attack. But not a great athlete, so not going to be great on the move or in space.

But he's better than Charles.