Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - The Commanders vs.The Eagles - Someone is getting their feathers plucked?!?!

zCommander

1 minute ago, Redd said:

Keep Howell and Terry. The rest of that offense can be replaced.

Given his age I'd actually deal Terry over Dotson. I think Howell and Dotson can be a great duo in the years to come. 

Loved seeing Crowder on offense today, he was tremendous. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Everyone is expendable whether on Tuesday or in the offseason.

Everyone? Nah.

Howell on a super cheap rookie deal is the QB you build around. Allen, Payne and McLaurin are under long term deals and building blocks.

Beyond that there is only so much you can do in one offseason. You look at who has value and were you have depth - comes down to at least one of Sweat and Young being on the block.  

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Given his age I'd actually deal Terry over Dotson. I think Howell and Dotson can be a great duo in the years to come. 

Loved seeing Crowder on offense today, he was tremendous. 

Last week Dotson was persona nongrata round here, now we don't need Terry anymore?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Embarrassing....no words for this.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Last week Dotson was persona nongrata round here, now we don't need Terry anymore?

Didn't say we don't need Terry, you just put words in my post that didn't say that. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

There are football minds outside of the NFL right now. What is the hurt in talking to some of them?

Can you name one you’d want to hand this organization over to? An organization that is going to afford a GM the ability to completely restructure things in their image from the ground up on the football side? Who is out of the league right now who deserves that opportunity and has a shot at being the best? Or it perhaps a better idea to cast a wide net and interview all the most coveted, desirable, pedigreed GM candidates the league has to offer before handing over the football operations to some dude who’s out of the league.

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Can you name one you’d want to hand this organization over to? An organization that is going to afford a GM the ability to completely restructure things in their image from the ground up on the football side? Who is out of the league right now who deserves that opportunity and has a shot at being the best? Or it perhaps a better idea to cast a wide net and interview all the most coveted, desirable, pedigreed GM candidates the league has to offer before handing over the football operations to some dude who’s out of the league.

Cooleyfan?

• Haha 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Gonna make one post about officiating.

It's not, and never has been, a "rigged system" where crew members on some games have been "ordered" to "assist" certain teams to a win for whatever reasons would be proffered by the "believers."

Not trying to be insulting, but anyone who truly believes it is,  is simply not being intelligent.

While I certainly lack the intelligence the NFL is at best a half step above the WWE in its "legitimacy". 

When a ref walks up to a player on the Chiefs and tells him to put his helmet on instead of flagging him I question the the legitimacy. 

When the announcers have to cover for the referees bull**** by saying things like "well the nfl has angles we dont" in order to give the Eagles a td against the Jets I question the legitimacy. 

How exactly do they have their "own angles"? The nfl has stated they rely 100% on the broadcast footage and doesn't use any cameras of their own. Something stinks other than my rotting brain. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Conn said:

For the conspiracy dummies who think it’s about us and not terrible reffing:

It’s almost every game 

Yeah. They are just bad. 

it’s not conspiracy, it’s **** up. 

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Blow it up. Start over as basically an expansion team.

Nope.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Didn't say we don't need Terry, you just put words in my post that didn't say that. 

I quoted your post saying you'd rather trade Terry then Dotson.

I think that's crazy, Dotson has been a ghost this year up until today, feels very best of the moment thinking we won't miss Terry in a couple days of if traded him.

These are ramifications of something you said you'd be okay with, which is big reason why I'm not.

1 minute ago, Captain Wiggles said:

While I certainly lack the intelligence the NFL is at best a half step above the WWE in its "legitimacy". 

When a ref walks up to a player on the Chiefs and tells him to put his helmet on instead of flagging him I question the the legitimacy. 

When the announcers have to cover for the referees bull**** by saying things like "well the nfl has angles we dont" in order to give the Eagles a td against the Jets I question the legitimacy. 

How exactly do they have their "own angles"? The nfl has stated they rely 100% on the broadcast footage and doesn't use any cameras of their own. Something stinks other than my rotting brain. 🤷‍♂️

Refs being bad at their job and under-policed, and the league and their media affiliates not wanting to draw too much attention to that, is not the same as saying the league is questionable/fixed/rigged/illegitimate etc.

The thing that stinks is the reffing. Calling the NFL half a step above the WWE is exactly the sort of dumbassery Jumbo is talking about. It’s easily explainable and requires no conspiracy or sketchiness at all. Just run-of-the-mill incompetence and self-interest.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

One bad play doesn't discredit his entire performance. He was money all game long. Made some incredible throws. 

Never said he didn't make incredible throws.

I just disagree you can throw that pick at that point and time in the game and consider it being a "great" game.  

I don't think any QB could be considered to have a great game and throw a pick that is the reason you lose the lead and ultimately never get it back and lose.

• Thumb down 1

8 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Blow it up. Start over as basically an expansion team.

A better coached team would have beaten one of the top 3 teams in the NFL today.

This IMO isn't a tear down especially if Howell keeps improving.  But you don't want to put 100 million on the D line, put some real resources in the O line-TE.   Trade dudes who aren't coming back. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, shakinaiken said:

“but I know the smart thing is to lose games but play well while you lose and today we did that.”

I understand that sentiment, but that’s an unlikely scenario. If you lose a game, It’s likely you didn’t play well, or “show” well. 

But I do agree with the overall principle- you have to resort to the extremes of the bell curve.  

You have to fail pretty badly to stock and accumulate generational talent( at least it gives you a higher likelihood of doing so). 

However, that’s difficult to accept, then this sport is played once a week, and fans live and die on every singular play. 

I imagine if you asked most fans, today, on this message board, whether they would have preferred to win, or lose( because it might put us in a position to strengthen an build out future)- most people would say they’d prefer the win. Because of the emotional build-up of a weekly played sport. 

I probably would have preferred a win too, even though I know it might affect this franchise's future. We‘re human. 

Yep, and even with that, I know a high pick alone doesn’t mean success, but it could bet your more picks and more “opportunities” to land elite talent.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Brian Robinson only running the ball eight,  nine,  10 times a game,  is ridiculous.

Mark Schlereth made a great point about the running game and runnin out of shotgun on some beat writers YT page.. He basically said, " I timed it out and it takes the RB .4 seconds longer to get to the line running out of shotgun than when he lines up behind the QB and takes the handoff with forward momentum. That's a half second longer the line has to hold their blocks, you put your oline at a disadvantage.."

We dont have Thurman Thomas back there taking handoffs either, you have bigger backs that need that momentum. Thats a good contributor to our crappy running game..

Edited by Playaction2Sanders
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A better coached team would have beaten one of the top 3 teams in the NFL today.

This IMO isn't a tear down especially if Howell keeps improving.  But you don't want to put 100 million on the D line, put some real resources in the O line-TE.   Trade dudes who aren't coming back. 

I agree. This is a team that got to 8-8-1 last year with Heinicke at QB. There is talent. The issue is there is no true blue chip talent. Fortify the OL and be opportunistic using picks to pick up true blue chip 1st team All Pro types as the 9ers, Eagles and Dolphins have done

Edited by method man
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't believe you need options 1, 2, or 3, the Martys are fully capable of making and taking calls on trades, this doesn't need to be overly complicated.  We've heard the reports so what are the deals being proposed and let's make sure we take advantage of an opportunity if it presents itself.  You dont need a new GM to do that but ownership may need to apply pressure to the current FO to make sure those deals are consummated. I dont think that's too much to ask.  I'm sure Josh has someone or a few football minds consulting him so I dont see why this process is made out to be so taboo.

This is about acquiring assets that will eventually be used by the new GM, the only thing the new GM loses was the chance to make the decision on Chase and Sweat but by the time he gets here it will be too late so IMO the loss of opportunity outweighs sticking a new GM with 2 overhyped free agent DE's who will want top dollar.

I don't think you'll find many who'd oppose trading Chase or Montez as long as the return is sufficient.  The million dollar question is what is sufficient and what's out there.  I find it hard to believe that Rivera (and I think it is ultimately his call within the FO as Team President and the boss of the Martys) would turn down a 1st for example, but I seriously doubt anyone offers a 1st for either.  Let's say the pick is a 3rd or lower, then a new GM may prefer to see the second half of the season performance and have the option to tag (franchise or transition) or have the compensatory as a fall back.  But the central point is that it wouldn't be the new GM that is making the decision on the trade calls now, it would be Rivera or Harris.  Under that scenario, it should be the person with the current job duties to make that call (yes, if Rivera commits team management malpractice and turns down a 1st or something crazy like that, then you can him and elevate someone who's not crazy.  But short of an obviously outrageous decision, I think you have to let the guy do his job).

20 minutes ago, zCommander said:

That was a 1st down too.

On a semi-related topic: Is this rigged to make Baltimore win? When something like this happens and even when the announcers are laughing about what the hell is this ref doing then that is why the fans will say it is rigged. But in reality it is a stupid ref doing stupid things and getting away with it. 

Then the nfl must do two things -1 professional refs who get fined for doing those things and some sort of system to penalize refs who miss calls  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Never said he didn't make incredible throws.

I just disagree you can throw that pick at that point and time in the game and consider it being a "great" game.  

I don't think any QB could be considered to have a great game and throw a pick that is the reason you lose the lead and ultimately never get it back and lose.

Howell just played his 9th game! Hurts had some duds earlier in his career. Washington fans would have canned Hurts if we had him. You really, really cannot ask for a better game from a rookie QB. The defense sucks, wide outs aren't helping. Howell can be better, but not nearly what's holding this team back.  

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, method man said:

I agree. This is a team that got to 8-8-1 last year with Heinicke at QB. There is talent. The issue is there is no true blue chip talent. Fortify the OL and be opportunistic using picks to pick up true blue chip 1st team All Pro types as the 9ers and Dolphins have done

Yep.  Stop with this Bruce Allen style bargain basement crap in FA.  Get aggressive.  Rebuild that O line.   Howell is of course the wild card.  But I am leaning positive on him.  If he can play, this roster isn't far off.  It's a poorly coached team right now.  That can be fixed.

When Keim talked about an aggressive approach.  Knowing him, its likely something he's heard or there is some sentiment in that building that this off season will be different than the last off season.  The way IMO Ron approached this off season, you'd think they were the Chiefs, just won the SB, and just needed to coast as if they arrived.   

• Thumb up 1