Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

50 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Said "any time you have a chance to re-install your offense, you can be more efficient with your processes, and your verbiage, and your play calls and your scheme, so we're all going to dive into it and figure out what we do best personnel wise, and grow it from there."  I LOVED this quote for 2 reasons: 1. learning from past installations is good, 2. adapting to personnel is better.

Ooooo juicy.

I love it too. Find what you do well and do it a lot.

Punch your hardest. Don't handicap yourself by trying to be something your not, that's dummyball and almost always ends in failure.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mh86 said:

Joe Whitt gets me pumped up talking about those big boys up front and accountability 

His PC was unreal. We are going to be aggressive AF. It may be ugly for a year or two until they get the guys they want. But the opposing QB is going to know they played us at the end of every game. An impressive man for sure. 

"We are gonna build the Commander defense"

I hate our team name. Literally cant stand it. But it sounded vicious out of his mouth. :)

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 10
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t recall Rivera or EB crushing pressers like these guys (Quinn and Whitt).  I get your overall point, it’s the honeymoon phase where we haven’t grown to dislike anything about these guys yet.  But I gotta give the nod to these guys easily over the prior regime.

I think the key is not to set expectations too high because we no longer have you know who running the show. I'm trying to remind myself to be patient and allow this group to make mistakes. The danger with such a high powered coaching staff is that people may have no tolerance for anything less than perfection (i.e. a "Pats" type dynasty, etc).

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t recall Rivera or EB crushing pressers like these guys (Quinn and Whitt).  I get your overall point, it’s the honeymoon phase where we haven’t grown to dislike anything about these guys yet.  But I gotta give the nod to these guys easily over the prior regime.

Apart from the fact EB kept referring to himself in third person, he killed his intro presser.  I think JP rated it as one of the best pressers he’d heard.  

Winning the presser is meaningless.  

However you can learn things.  I think my biggest takeaway Ana’s how intentional the construction of the coaching staff has been. 

55 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

We have a lot of chefs in the kitchen.

Any excellent restaurant (not even necessarily with a Michelin Star) can have many chefs in their kitchen, each of which are capable of running their own shops or have before. At the highest levels, these people want to chase perfection under an even more demanding chef. 

Call it what you want, but “too many cooks in the kitchen” only applies to your family Thanksgiving. It doesn’t apply to a well-run professional operation where extremely over-qualified chefs are tweezing fennel or stirring a sauce at their individual stations. Excellence in a kitchen comes in many forms, but one of them is certainly 20+ chefs, all with their own ideas, all bringing their individual talents to the table and working towards a common goal.

So that saying never sat well with me. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Conn said:

Any excellent restaurant (not even necessarily with a Michelin Star) can have many chefs in their kitchen, each of which are capable of running their own shops or have before. At the highest levels, these people want to chase perfection under an even more demanding chef. 

Call it what you want, but “too many cooks in the kitchen” only applies to your family Thanksgiving. It doesn’t apply to a well-run professional operation where extremely over-qualified chefs are tweezing fennel or stirring a sauce at their individual stations. Excellence in a kitchen comes in many forms, but one of them is certainly 20+ chefs, all with their own ideas, all bringing their individual talents to the table and working towards a common goal.

Yeah well I’m an executive chef so 🤪.

I can never have too many cooks.

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Yeah well I’m an executive chef so 🤪.

I can never have too many cooks.

Ha! I naturally assumed you were alluding to the common negative/critical saying people love: “too many cooks in the kitchen”.  

But looking back you didn’t say “too many”, you just observed there’s a lot of them. So, um, carry on! Yes chef! 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

You’re right, Too many cooks in the kitchen only applies if there isn’t a leader and defined roles, and everybody is doing their own thing.  

I actually, earlier this year was in a meeting when somebody said that and I pushed back by saying, “no, we have the right number of cooks. But the cooks need to execute my recipe and stop under cooking the salmon.” People laughed.  I didn’t get fired.  It all worked out.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

Ha! I naturally assumed you were alluding to the common negative/critical saying people love: “too many cooks in the kitchen”.  

But looking back you didn’t say “too many”, you just observed there’s a lot of them. So, um, carry on! Yes chef! 

I’m my experience it can go one of two ways. If all those coaches work together seemlessly like a well oiled Michelin starred restaurant then it’s all good. But if you have disgruntled chefs and lazy chefs working side by side, it ain’t pretty. I trust Dan Quinn has assembled hard workers based on his attitude.

1 minute ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

gXsik7V.gif

Sprinkle in some cocaine and weed and that’s about right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

31 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Apart from the fact EB kept referring to himself in third person, he killed his intro presser.  I think JP rated it as one of the best pressers he’d heard.  

Winning the presser is meaningless.  

However you can learn things.  I think my biggest takeaway Ana’s how intentional the construction of the coaching staff has been. 

I dunno, the 3rd person stuff was a huge red flag, that most of us chose to ignore.  No red flags present about the current group.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I hate our team name. Literally cant stand it. But it sounded vicious out of his mouth. :)

I never thought Washington Football Team sounded so good until we became the Commanders. If we could just go back to that it would be better. We're gonna need to win a SB to finally accept the name Commanders aren't we?

There was something cool about being the only team in American professional sports that didn't have a name, just a city. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Recency bias. 🙂

I wasn’t exaggerating. VOR also confirmed my POV. And the threads are searchable if you’re so inclined. I could never assume what another member has read, I just know what I have. And it’s a lot… and why I don’t post much 🙂

Regardless, now is a time for optimism. I get that. 

But the blind optimism is obnoxious. Nobody in this front office or coaching staff has earned that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

Best line from Whitt Jr.'s presser:

"We're going to be a running defense. We are going to be running and laying our bodies on top of other people in a violent manner." 

What the F does that even mean really? 😂

What defensive coaches have publicly preached a fast jog  and a gentle approach to tackling?

What defensive coaches aren’t preaching flying to the football, making mistakes at full speed, and gang tackling?

5 minutes ago, profusion said:

Whitt sounds like he won't in any way put up with the garbage our defense was producing last year.

Accountability. 

A great buzz word. I’ll believe it when I see it.

Wouldn’t it be nice though for a change?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I dunno, the 3rd person stuff was a huge red flag, that most of us chose to ignore.  No red flags present about the current group.

Eh.  Different people speak differently.  I don’t think that was a big deal.  Or a red flag.  

52 minutes ago, Conn said:

Wonder if they’ve already talked to Reaves about re-signing with a new contract, since he’s a FA

Or Reaves is posting as a “hey you guys! You’re super cool!!! Don’t forget about me?  Show me the money!!!!”