Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

I just listened to both coordinator press conferences.  Whitt was exciting to hear.  Kliff was very guarded with the press questions.  He got a little better

the longer he was talking.  You can tell he is very analytical.  Probably not like Whitt at all in terms of being a motivational coach.  He needs to not only get

along well with the starting quarterback but also be able to call plays that work so the offensive players develop trust in his abilities.  I did like what he said about studying offenses in NFL and college and then taking plays that might be useful for our players.  He probably had no chance to be a really be a great head coach just given his personality type.  He seems like Norv Turner in the sense that he was not a good head coach but was a much better offensive coordinator for Dallas.

Quinn on the other hand has the right personality to be a Head Coach and he will know how to get his major points across to both coordinators.  Did anyone

see how the Defensive Coordinator for 49ers got canned?  Ron did not get rid of people very often when they were performing not so well until the last year of his coaching and by then it was too late.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, boston skins fan said:

top it off and bring in Wilks as AHC

By the sounds of it, Shanahan let go of Wilks because he was better secondary schematic coach…. but didn’t match/integrate the back end with the front 7. Whereas Salah and Ryan were linebacker coaches in their past, and integrated both units more efficiently. So they made a change.

My understand is that Witts strength is also the back end (secondary/passing game coordinator).

So their skill sets may be redundant.

• Like 2

What a difference a few weeks can make.

Kingsbury: "We want to put players in a position where they can succeed, and not make them do things they can't do".

Whitt: " We want to know about what guys CAN do, and how far can we bring them along that journey".

2020-2023

Rivera: "We want position versatility".

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

Is everyone ready to ru through a wall for these coaches yet? 😂 Everyone was amped after the Rivera and Bienemy introductory pressers as well. Everyone loves coach speak.

I want results… I don’t care if you want to be stoic (Belichick) or wear your heart on your sleeve (Dan Campbell).

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

Just listened to the Kliff Kingsbury presser. Takeaways.

- Not something he said, but I think he really relishes not having to do a lot of media in his new role.

- Also, interesting, and the power of editing, if you watch the Netflix Documentary "Untold: Johnny Football," (which, if you haven't you should) Kliff comes off a lot more relaxed and personable than he did in the presser.  

- Didn't want to even remotely get into anything about how he got here, was asked directly about Magic, and said a polite version of "no comment shut up and stop asking me about what I said I won't answer dumbass."  

- On building the staff: collaborative with Quinn and Peters.  Wanted to bring in a lot of "high quality of people, and he is excited about putting it all together.

- Doesn't consider what he did in Arizona as "Air Raid."  

- Said he wants to be balanced, run the ball, play action.  Somewhere, Mike Leach (who he said he has respect for" is screaming "50 percent run and 50 percent pass is 50 percent stupid!"  

- Said "any time you have a chance to re-install your offense, you can be more efficient with your processes, and your verbiage, and your play calls and your scheme, so we're all going to dive into it and figure out what we do best personnel wise, and grow it from there."  I LOVED this quote for 2 reasons: 1. learning from past installations is good, 2. adapting to personnel is better.

- Was given an opportunity to talk about Caleb Williams multiple times and didn't take it.

- Asked what type of Quarterback is best for the modern NFL, and he sortof giggle/chucked and said "the Chief's Quarterback."  Which was funny.  I think it's important to point out Kliff coached Mahomes.  He pointed out that QBs need to be able to "move a little bit and buy yourself some time."  Talked about leadership and hard work at the QB position.

- Said he was re-energized by being around the college.  

- Spoke glowingly about Quinn and said their relationship started when Quinn's team beat his Texas Tech team back in 2012.  

- On the roster: "I haven't gotten far enough into it, but explosive pieces on offense you notice, but I'm about 3 games in, so we have a ways to go, but (long pause), yeah, I'm excited, there's some pieces there."  Voice_of_Reason's Coach Speak Translation: "Terry is good. Yeah.  Terry is good. Next Question?"

- Question on what it takes to be successful offensively: "First and foremost, be able to adapt to your personnel, do what you do best, and don't ask them to do things they can not do."  That seems so simple, doesn't it?  You'd think.  

- I loved the fact that he said he likes to learn, and evaluates the top offenses and tries to evolve year over year.

- Message to players on the roster: "I'm still evaluating everything.  We have a staff which will maximize them and put them into position to be successful.  Voice_of_Reason Coach Speak Translation: "Terry is good.  Yeah. Terry is good. (left unsaid - we're going to need a lot of new players)"  

- Made a joke saying Anthony Lynn was "another Texas Tech Red Raider, you can't have enough of those rocket scientists on the staff."  I thought it was funny.  Nobody laughed.  :( 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

Lots to like about DC Joe Whitt's presser.  Keep the QB guessing post snap.  No predictable coverage and pressure schemes.  Results in more turnovers - we will teach players how to catch.  Haha

"You have to earn your right to be a stud on this defense.  If you are a stud, we are going to be creative and design plays especially for you.  That's going to motivate guys.  You don't have to be a unicorn like Micah Parsons.  I hope that gets Quan Martin excited. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

By the sounds of it, Shanahan let go of Wilks because he was better secondary schematic coach…. but didn’t match/integrate the back end with the front 7. Whereas Salah and Ryan were linebacker coaches in their past, and integrated both units more efficiently. So they made a change.

My understand is that Witts strength is also the back end (secondary/passing game coordinator).

So their skill sets may be redundant.

That, plus Brian Johnson is already the Assistant HC so that position isn’t available lol

Maybe Assistant TO the HC

IMG_3856.jpeg

• Haha 4

"We have a profile of the player we want at each position".  If I understood correctly it's more the play style rather than particular metrics.  It's the secret sauce so Joe Whitt said he wasn't going to elaborate more than that.  

3 games into his analysis.  After a review of the full season, reality sets in.  We need a new defensive roster!!!!  I'm expecting big changes that will have to happen over time.  The play style has to change first and it's not going to show in the win/loss record immediately.  If we see it on the field, consistently, I can be patient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Die Hard said:

Is everyone ready to ru through a wall for these coaches yet? 😂 Everyone was amped after the Rivera and Bienemy introductory pressers as well. Everyone loves coach speak.

I want results… I don’t care if you want to be stoic (Belichick) or wear your heart on your sleeve (Dan Campbell).

I don’t recall Rivera or EB crushing pressers like these guys (Quinn and Whitt).  I get your overall point, it’s the honeymoon phase where we haven’t grown to dislike anything about these guys yet.  But I gotta give the nod to these guys easily over the prior regime.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Not better than Eric Bieniemy talking about Eric Bieniemy 😤

Best line from Whitt Jr.'s presser:

"We're going to be a running defense. We are going to be running and laying our bodies on top of other people in a violent manner." 

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1