Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I tend to expect that from lazy national media types who are using cliche's from the Jetskins, 2000spendarama, the Haynesworth period etc. This team was on a Dollar Store budget ever since RGIII went down. Just weird to hear takes like that. 

I wrote a post like ten years ago asking if Dan was suddenly cash poor because we seemed have no money at all.

The he bought the Bond Villian Yacht.

• Thumb up 1

Both Eugene Shen and Adam Peters were EXCELLENT hires.    This is why I'm so surprised our head coaching search didn't work out as planned. So far in my eyes, the Harris Group is 2/3 with the jury still out on #3 Quinn.  

• Like 1

Just now, RandyHolt said:

True but their homepage announcing the news would be the least of their PR disaster worries.

There seems to be very little speculation over who are the top candidates for the OC job. Maybe they are in the super blow.

I think it's almost a slam dunk they go with a Shanahan type offense by one of the folks who's currently coaching for Kyle in the SB.  

I don't think there's a good chance it's Kelly.  My gut tells me the Chip Kelly rumors are coming from Chip Kelly. 

I 100% believe a direct question at Quinn's interview was "So, who are you hiring for OC and have they committed."  And the answer was given. Now we just have to wait for that person to be available. 

There's no way the group of people making the decision would not ask that question or offer the job to Quinn unless they got a good answer and one they liked.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oraphus said:

One things is becoming somewhat painfully clear....

1. Wash was not this cant miss, amazing, #1 option for Head Coaches (even with Harris and Peters here)

2. HC search seemed to be all over the place and they had to settle for the (at least from what we know now) #3 choice. 

3. Beyond being a  better person... so far, i have not seen much from Harris/ Peters that tells we have a much more apt FO ... i guess time will tell

#1 True.  

#2  They had a pool of candidates and waited to interview them all.  There were reports all long that indicated Johnson wasn’t a slam dunk and that they really like Quinn, even though folks didn’t want to hear it.  That is not seemingly all over the place.

#3  What exactly do you expect to see all of six months into ownership and less than 1 month into Peter’s being GM?

I need to donate my screen name to one of you guys.

• Like 5

I was thinking about his last night, and I think I arrived at why this Quinn thing - while fine - seems so off.

It's this:

Ownership knew in August that barring a miraculous season, they were firing Ron the second the season ended. By early October, it should have been clear that this was not a miraculous season.

So, you would think they would have been having back-channel talks and making lists and doing all the borderline legal stuff you need to do to plan for your next coach. I kind expected that they would have coaches 1, 2, and 3 pretty-well vetted and know exactly what you need to do to land them.

Instead, it seemed like they cast this really wide net and were gathering all their information in January and didn't really know anything about anyone.

Again, that's just perception.

After reading @Voice_of_Reason recent post I do hereby predict Brian Griese will be our OC

Definitely do not want Chris Foerster if my mammories are correct in remembering our OL pass pro was atrocious under him.

Dad's facemask was almost legendary like JoeTs

images.jpg.6be577eaeda6c96eefe01e60ac257e65.jpg

Super Dark Horse candidate for a job on our staff:  Leonard "Spanky" Hankerson.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

But the same things were said. “Leader of Men, Proven Winner, Strong background”

I wish someone would do a comparison to all descriptions of new coaches and see how common the language is. I bet there is a lot of overlap in the platitudes doled out.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

#2  They had a pool of candidates and waited to interview them all.  There were reports all long that indicated Johnson wasn’t a slam dunk and that they really like Quinn, even though folks didn’t want to hear it.  That is not seemingly all over the place.

#3  What exactly do you expect to see all of six months into ownership and less than 1 month into Peter’s being GM?

I need to donate my screen name to one of you guys.

Disagree...

They made an offer to both Johnsons and Mcdonald. Johnsosn wanted too much money and Mcdonald chose Sea (we dont know the reason)

To mee it reeks of lack on unified visions and understanding of what they want.. 

1. They should have known Johnsons price early on instead of wasting time and waiting until all other Good OCs got picked up.

2. If they are going after O coach and see value there.. then had to switch to D coached because no good OCs were left.

3. In the end had to settle for a retread that while having a good D in Dal, underperformed in the playoffs consistently .. and now trying to sell everyone on how "respected and good he is) ala Rivera 4y ago. 

Edited by oraphus
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

So, you would think they would have been having back-channel talks and making lists and doing all the borderline legal stuff you need to do to plan for your next coach. I kind expected that they would have coaches 1, 2, and 3 pretty-well vetted and know exactly what you need to do to land them.

Instead, it seemed like they cast this really wide net and were gathering all their information in January and didn't really know anything about anyone.

Only so much they could do in season, and doubt something like in-person interviews could be conducted, which is huge in this process. But more importantly? They had to land their GM first, and by all accounts they had Peters targeted and ready to hire, and they did just that, which further suggests they were doing background work for some time. Can't do anything about HC until you got the GM settled. 

I don't think they cast a wide net at all, I think maybe only 7 candidates in total to interview, compared to other team's having a dozen to 14.

They did it the right way and as rapid as possible given the constraints on interviewing during the season. They had a couple of top targets and one was Quinn all along. This was not the botched process that national media and others are making it into. 

5 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I was thinking about his last night, and I think I arrived at why this Quinn thing - while fine - seems so off.

It's this:

Ownership knew in August that barring a miraculous season, they were firing Ron the second the season ended. By early October, it should have been clear that this was not a miraculous season.

You can’t put that on the owners…. unless the owners are the ones calling the shots on the coaching staff. I know they’re involved… but are they truly the decision makers? If so, then this is problematic in and of itself, in addition to what you mentioned.

With the structure we’ve been led to believe, hiring the HC is Peters’ role. And he was only hired weeks ago.

With that being said…. you’re an assistant GM… the next step is being a GM. It’s inevitable. You’ve been doing it for awhile, you’re highly regarded in the football community and teams have already shown interest in your services… how do you not have at least 3-5 names on speed dial to hitch your wagon to… in a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Its a people business. It’s all about relationships. That’s why so many people hire others they’ve previously worked with before.

And Peters hasn’t poached anybody yet… or even fired any holdovers yet (Mayhew, Hurney, Wright, etc). All red flags to me.

13 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It's this:

I think they did all that to get the GM. After that they had to see if a guy wanted to actually work here. And they don't. Not yet. That's what they have to build. 

I say that but I feel the same as you for the most part. It really looks like they thought they were the best job in town and that people would be knocking down their door. Hell I thought that myself until things went sour and I had to take a second, less rosy look. This wont be their last swing at this. Even best case scenario, we will be replacing Quinn eventually. And I would hope there are lessons learned here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, oraphus said:

Disagree...

They made an offer to both Johnsons and Mcdonald. Johnsosn wanted too much money and Mcdonald chose Sea (we dont know the reason)

To mee it reeks of lack on unified visions and understanding of what they want.. 

1. They should have known Johnsons price early on instead of wasting time and waiting until all other Good OCs got picked up.

2. If they are going after O coach and see value there.. then had to switch to D coached because no good OCs were left.

3. In the end had to settle for a retread that while having a good D in Dal, underperformed in the playoffs consistently .. and now trying to sell everyone on how "respected and good he is) ala Rivera 4y ago. 

This is basically cherry picking and piecing together a narrative that best fits your already incredibly pessimistic views.

And this is coming from a guy with a batteredfansyndrome handle that’s spent the last decade mainlining negativity in his veins.  😂

• Like 4

Keim said no offers were made to Johnson or Macdonald.  We got national reporters saying flat out Johnson was unlikely to get the job and didn't interview well.  Yet, some think its all BS?  Keim sticks out his neck saying flat out something is a fact yet some think he is dead wrong?  And not just him also some of the most reliable national reporters?

As for why not Quinn right away Keim talked about this multiple times.  They genuinely wanted to talk to the Ravens and Lions coaches and they had to wait.  It wasn't a BS exercise.  So they had to wait before making a move.  But they wanted to digest all these guys and interview them. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

With that being said…. you’re an assistant GM… the next step is being a GM. It’s inevitable. You’ve been doing it for awhile, you’re highly regarded in the football community and teams have already shown interest in your services… how do you not have at least 3-5 names on speed dial to hitch your wagon to… in a once in a lifetime opportunity?

Its a people business. It’s all about relationships. That’s why so many people hire others they’ve previously worked with before.

And Peters hasn’t poached anybody yet… or even fired any holdovers yet (Mayhew, Hurney, Wright, etc). All red flags to me.

Well, its reasonable to believe his strongest connections are in SanFran and he is waiting for them. But otherwise I feel you. Maybe Quinn was on his list? Its very possible the people he wanted just did not want to be in Washington. Dan might be gone, but everything he built is still here. And maybe the fire is out, but its still smoldering. I wouldnt want to work here over SEA. Just because of the #2 pick? No thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim said no offers were made to Johnson or Macdonald.  We got national reporters saying flat out Johnson was unlikely to get the job and didn't interview well.  Yet, some thinks its all BS.  Keim for the first time sticks out his neck saying flat out something and is dead wrong.  And not just him some of the most reliable national reporters?

As for why not Quinn right away Keim talked about this multiple times.  They genuinely wanted to talk to the Ravens and Lions coaches.  It wasn't a BS exercise.  So they had to wait before making a move.

I didn't know Keim said that. Dude doesn't make up stuff and that does change my opinion. 

1 minute ago, GardenStateSkins said:

Any takers on how short of a leash Quinn has? 

No reason for him to have a short leash. They clearly like him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GardenStateSkins said:

Any takers on how short of a leash Quinn has? 

Good question, and we'll probably have a better idea after the contract length becomes public. My guess? Depends on the team performance but I'd wager ~3 years. No way he would get a 4th like Rivera did if Q's records turn out similar. 

I do think he'll be better than Rivera, absolutely, and especially with GMAP doing all the personnel work so Q can focus strictly on coaching (unlike his time in ATL when he had a coach-centric approach). 

Edited by sinews

13 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Would you prefer he came in and fired every one?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Goodell’s state of the nfl presser is Monday. I don’t think they want to compete with that.

It shouldn't be an issue. Goodell will just get up there and say "We make so much money without doing anything that I have nothing more to say. We're really rich. I won't be taking any questions. Thanks."

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Would you prefer he came in and fired every one?

Don't be so binary. How about start with somebody/anybody? From a staff that just went 4-13 and hasn’t made the playoffs in 3 years.

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Well, its reasonable to believe his strongest connections are in SanFran and he is waiting for them. But otherwise I feel you. Maybe Quinn was on his list? Its very possible the people he wanted just did not want to be in Washington. Dan might be gone, but everything he built is still here. And maybe the fire is out, but its still smoldering. I wouldnt want to work here over SEA. Just because of the #2 pick? No thanks. 

The San Fran connection would make more sense for a HC hire.

If Quinn’s your guy… you shouldn’t be filling in his coaching staff as a GM with your guys.

Actually, wasn’t Quinn interviewed before GMAP was even hired?