Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

Did you hear the Garafolo interview that tweet is based off of?  Garofalo specifically said not to say that Peters was undermined.  He talked about how Johnson was not the leading candidate after his interviews.  Think of it this way.  Schneider said he wanted Lions and Ravens to lose so he can move forward with the interview.  He had Johnson high enough on the list to do virtual interview with him but not Macdonald. So supposedly Schneider and other Washington brass all concluded after the interview that Johnson is not their top choice (to the extent that Seattle started the interview for Macdonald despite no virtual interview), but Peters was pounding the table for Johnson?  That's a reasonable take based on a tweet from a blogger who is speculating off of a Garofolo interview where Garofalo specifically said not to say Peters was undermined?  I guess I have far less esteem for bloggers than you.

Tbh, I have a sleeping baby on my chest right now and haven’t been able to listen to the full segment yet. Will give it a listen later. Thanks for your input. 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

coach...how is this completely different from Rivera? The coaches involved may not be exactly the same, but this situation seems quite familiar.

Look, I get the consternation but the situations are *completely* different. We now have actual ownership and a competent GM who by all means is seen by everyone as a rising star. He still needs to prove it but that's a world of change from Ron friggin Rivera calling all the personnel shots. Let the new GM build something the right way. It seems from Keim's recent podcast with the Atlanta guy (Ledbetter his name?), one of the downfalls of Q's late period there was poor drafting, among other things. 

Furthermore, re: the RR 2.0 stuff: I wasn't too familiar with this guy so I go watch some Dallas media stuff and press conferences–his demeanor and engaging personality is sooo much better imo than Ron's old school stoicism (as someone on this board put it, and which we know doesn’t jibe well with young players these days). 

Not saying it's going to be great, I look at it as a rebuild, phase 1. Q probably will be a one contract tenure here, tbh. But I'm agnostic for now. I maintain that this fanbase would kill to have his first two seasons here resemble his first two in Atlanta. 

Edit: I now see some others have addressed this already. Carry on. 

Edited by sinews
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He wasn't my #1 choice either, but my #1 choice was Ben Johnson and it would have been a bad one.  From where we sit, we don't really know about these guys.  We barely even know if they are good playcallers and coordinators,

This should be stickied to the top of every page in this thread

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1

I know how we ended up with Dan Quinn.

4153819c-b76a-4c4b-9ef9-80f9f56ad520_text.gif.0c2752d9ee6295d55e87a5fdc44c1a82.gif

And like that we got the unsexy pick.  If he isn't calling plays on defense yet our defense remains its normal vanilla passive futile self I will beating the drums for change sooner than later.  We have got to hit a home run filling out the offensive coaching side.

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

This should be stickied to the top of every page in this thread

No doubt.

Ranking and making distinctions about players is one thing.  There’s an abundance of tape to judge.

But head coaches, it’s primarily about mental makeup, leadership, who they intend to staff, how they mesh with top brass, can they handle the pressures, etc.  Why we as fans think we have a better gauge on that than those with decades in the industry that are interviewing these guys is beyond me.  😂

• Like 1

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No doubt.

Ranking and making distinctions about players is one thing.  There’s an abundance of tape to judge.

But head coaches, it’s primarily about mental makeup, leadership, who they intend to staff, how they mesh with top brass, can they handle the pressures, etc.  Why we as fans think we have a better gauge on that than those with decades in the industry that are interviewing these guys is beyond me.  😂

Unless we go the Chip Kelly route and then I reserve the right to go back to my uninformed opinions.

• Haha 1

Lets talk about preconceived hiring opinions we all had about some of these hirings over the years.  For example, when they hired Norv Turner

and later hired his son I instinctively believed it was not going to work out.  When we hired Eric B. recently and now hiring Quinn I have had more

of a wait and see attitude about them.   With Riverboat I thought he might be ok on the defensive side but I was worrried about his offensive knowledge.

When he hired Carson Wentz then I knew we were in big trouble.  I have constantly complained over the years that since Beathard left we have not

had a decent General Manager who could pick up good talent in rounds 3-4-5-6 of the draft.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

He wasn't my #1 choice either, but my #1 choice was Ben Johnson and it would have been a bad one.  From where we sit, we don't really know about these guys.  We barely even know if they are good playcallers and coordinators, and I agree, that isn't the most relevant aspect of being a head coach at all.  Leadership is everything.  Sincere passion for the job, flexibility, organizational skills, communication skills, patience and ability to maintain perspective, ability to focus through adversity, etc.  That's the stuff that really matters.  Your head coach needs to be a jimmies and joes guy, and leave the bulk of the xs and os stuff to his assistants.  On this front, Quinn was my favorite option after Johnson pulled out.  I wasn't super comfortable with MacDonald or the other inexperienced assistant coaches we were interviewing.  And I think you are right to rely on the word of the national reporters who hyped up Quinn and warned us that there were red flags with Johnson.  This isn't like draft watching and forming our own takes on college prospects, in this the reporters certainly know better than we do.  They're the ones with access to the relevant information.

As for Ron, I don't think he was actually a good jimmies and joes coach, and the fact that he ran off or passed over so many talented assistant coaches and players who may have had egos or challenged him was evidence of that.  He just couldn't work with people outside of his limited circle.  He was inflexible and frankly, uncreative.  Not a bad coach, but in a situation where there was a near total vacuum in leadership surrounding him, we needed a truly great head coach to fill the void.

Things will be different now.  We've got an impressive GM and ownership that seems far smarter and more stable than Snyder was (and far more engaged in genuine partnership with the front office). We're building out our franchise leadership in an appropriate way, and Quinn isn't going to have to do everything like Rivera did.  It's a vastly more manageable job to head coach this team now.

Agree, the structure and set up is conducive to winning.

You mentioned the sincere passion for the job.   It's one of the things that has gotten me the most jacked after the hiring happened.  I was listening to one of Quinn's previous bosses at William and Mary on air who said Quinn is stoked.  And Chris Russell said he knows someone with the Cowboys who told him at the start of the process that Quinn really really wants this job and would be stoked to get it.

Logan Paulsen said Quinn quizzed him among others about what he should do differently if he gets a new HC job.  And is determined to kill it in his next stint.  Schefter said this team got more unsolicited calls from people around the league touting Quinn than any of these coaching prospects.  Keim was saying for weeks Quinn's the dude among these prospects he by far gets the most praise when he mentions his name.

Screen Shot 2024-02-02 at 8.29.46 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sheehan is right, this fan base is suffering from PTSD due to the Snyder era.  They find doom and gloom in everything. Hopefully, with time, that will start to change.

Oh, and Thom Loverro might be the biggest moron this side of Stephen A Smith.   Good lord, that dude is stupid AND insufferable.  Sheehan should have told him to shut the f** up this morning.

• Like 4

I gave up listening to Sheehan six months ago and never listen to their combined podcast.  I like Al Galdi's podcast and Keim's podcast.

Sheehan will rarely admit when he is wrong about quarterbacks and he cuts off callers he doesn't agree with and then he always argues

with the one lady doctor- Shabazz I think is her name.

• Like 1

I like Sheehan and he and Galdi are the only ones worth listening to locally. I do agree though he has his hills to die on like anyone else. Hes a fan like us and all around a well above average one football IQ-wise. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

But I find it VERY relevant because there are so many fans who think Quinn was who they were left with and didn't originally want.   That's BS.   Keim among others was saying from the jump that Quinn was a serious candidate.   lol, as someone who wanted Johnson from the jump, I kept saying here and fearing that Quinn was a real threat.

I had the misfortune of hearing Danny Rouhier yesterday say they're settling on Quinn and he was basically a consolation prize. This narrative is so aggravating because it shows people weren't paying attention. I was so irritated I had the urge to do the one thing I despise--call in and ream that jackass. (But then I realized I have a life and have better things to do than sit on hold to interact with those two mutton heads.)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You mentioned the sincere passion for the job.   It's one of the things that has gotten me the most jacked after the hiring happened.  I was listening to one of Quinn's previous bosses at William and Mary who said Quinn is stoked.  And Chris Russell said he knows someone with the Cowboys who told him at the start of the process that Quinn really really wants this job and would be stoked to get it.

This is reassuring, starting to really come around on Quinn. Will be nice to see real passion and enthusiasm for a change. Hoping it resonates down through the coordinators, staff and players and everyone buys in. Incredible amount of work to do but Im genuinely excited for this to play out.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, SkinsFanPA said:

Sheehan is right, this fan base is suffering from PTSD due to the Snyder era.  They find doom and gloom in everything. Hopefully, with time, that will start to change.

Oh, and Thom Loverro might be the biggest moron this side of Stephen A Smith.   Good lord, that dude is stupid AND insufferable.  Sheehan should have told him to shut the f** up this morning.

Playing off of that point.

Some counter, we trust this hire or that hire in ther past and it blew up so why not be cynical now?

The difference is two fold.

A.  The structure of this team is finally normal.  We aren't asking for our HC to play GM or a clown like Bruce, Cerrato, Dan to shop for the groceries

B.  We don't have buffoons making these hires.  We had the dumbest owner on planet earth making these calls in the past.  So why haven't they worked out?  I think ther answer is obvious.  Current days to past days are night and day different.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

This is reassuring, starting to really come around on Quinn. Will be nice to see real passion and enthusiasm for a change. Hoping it resonates down through the coordinators, staff and players and everyone buys in. Incredible amount of work to do but Im genuinely excited for this to play out.

This is a team in general IMO that lacks fire.   Ron had no fire.  JDR no fire.  Turner no fire.  Bieniemy had some fire but I gather wasn't liked in the locker room.

We don't have many players that ooze fire.    This is a quiet bunch.

Quinn I think will help change that dynamic.  And I gather will bring some players that ooze leadership.  I heard in the podcasts from the Tischler who is around the team all the time that this team doesn't really have leaders for the most part -- a bunch of quiet dudes.

• Like 9

I don’t think a young coach coming here with an all new leadership group backing him would have been ready to take this roster and turn it into a positive. I mean they literally quit on all of the last coaches. 

Think of all SEA has in place to support a young guy that’s new at it. The people in the building that a new coach can go talk to when they need advice. That is not here. We can’t support that. 

• Like 6

So, as a William and Mary alumnus, here’s something I just put together:

Quinn's first coaching job ever was ... wait for it... a the DL coach for the 1994 William and Mary Tribe.  

That team had 2 players, Mike Tomlin and Sean McDermott who would later go on to become NFL head coaches, and Tomlin might end up in the HOF. 

Who knew the 1994 Tribe football team was a hotbed of future NFL head coaching power! It’s like the 2013 Redskins coaching staff!!!

I think both Tomlin and McDermott played in the secondary so they weren’t coaches directly by Quinn.  

But how ‘bout that?

Go Tribe!!!

And after realizing that, I’m fully on board with Quinn.  No questions.  Perfect hire. 
(yes that last bit was sarcasm for those with broken sarcasm meters)

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I had the misfortune of hearing Danny Rouhier yesterday say they're settling on Quinn and he was basically a consolation prize. This narrative is so aggravating because it shows people weren't paying attention. I was so irritated I had the urge to do the one thing I despise--call in and ream that jackass. (But then I realized I have a life and have better things to do than sit on hold to interact with those two mutton heads.)

Yeah that narrative is silly.  And Rouhier knows better because people on his show have told him that Quinn is a serious candidate.  He even with Grant would bemoan this as a possibility every now and then on their show before it went down.

Like I've been saying I think for fans or media its arrogant to think THEIR coaching list must be the team's list, too.  The team is working with way more information about these dudes than we are.  And I've interviewed people and heck yeah it matters how they come across.  We have no way to know how these people perform in interviews when we aren't part of it.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Funny you say that, I also had the urge to call in yesterday.  Specifically when he was saying that had they hired Quinn a week or so ago and been gung ho about it, he would have liked it way more.  But doing it now makes it seem like settling.  There’s not a damn way in the world folks wouldn’t have rioted if he was hired before a shot at Ben Johnson.  Just disingenuous af.  At least Grant admitted he wouldn’t have felt that way.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Playing off of that point.

Some counter, we trust this hire or that hire in ther past and it blew up so why not be cynical now?

The difference is two fold.

A.  The structure of this team is finally normal.  We aren't asking for our HC to play GM or a clown like Bruce, Cerrato, Dan to shop for the groceries

B.  We don't have buffoons making these hires.  We had the dumbest owner on planet earth making these calls in the past.  So why haven't they worked out?  I think ther answer is obvious.  Current days to past days are night and day different.

giphy.gif

This is a team in general IMO that lacks fire.   Ron had no fire.  JDR no fire.  Turner no fire.  Bieniemy had some fire but I gather wasn't liked in the locker room.

We don't have many players that ooze fire.    This is a quiet bunch.

Quinn I think will help change that dynamic.  And I gather will bring some players that ooze leadership.  I heard in the podcasts from the Tischler who is around the team all the time that this team doesn't really have leaders for the most part -- a bunch of quiet dudes.

Im wondering if it was due to the coaches and their all around demeanor that we didnt seem to develop the "fiery" players? Also I think the overall view of the organization impacted the players, just look at the facility rankings etc. that came out last year where we were last by a large margin, let alone the record on the field, This had to have put a damper on player moral. Hoping Quinns enthusiasm rubs off on the players and we start seeing improvements and planning for facilities going forward..