Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Less excited about this hire than Ron 😬 

I really wasn't expecting to be disappointed by the new regime's decision making quite so soon out of the gate

I suppose they deserve the benefit of the doubt...but, I don't think this is the guy any of us want grooming a #2 overall QB pick. His staff definitely needs to impress.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I just realized, now we're going to have say good things about Dan. I don't know if I can. Dan is such a revolting name. Every time I read the word "Dan", I cringe. This is going to be a lot harder than I thought.

boy-making-angry-face-c1960s-h-armstrong-robertsclassicstock.jpg

• Haha 9

These comparisons to Riveraare a waste of time. We have no idea how Rivera would have done with a good GM and no Snyder. I’m good with Quinn, he seems solid. If not, we can switch coaches again in a couple years. That’s life in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

To all the negative reactions about Ben Johnson, the way he handled cancelling the meeting with us made him look bad for a fleeting moment.  But 365 days from now, if he has another successful season with the lions, he will be just as hot of a HC candidate as he was this offseason.  The only team that may still hold it against him will be us.  

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

What defensive minded head coaches have won the SB since Bill beat Quinn? 0. Going on 7 years now, times are changing. This franchise continues to trail behind. 

Does Steve Spagnuolo get enough credit for the Chiefs' last two Super Bowl appearances?

The Chiefs offense has delivered average returns throughout the year.

To your point, acknowledging the value of a great offensive mind is valid, but having a great defensive mind can be equally crucial. The emphasis should be on greatness, and Quinn has consistently delivered on the defensive side of the ball, helping teams break free from the clutches of mediocrity.

The upside of going for a retread or an older dude is their financial stability and self-awareness, granting them an "F it" mentality to go all-in and pursue greatness.

Edited by wit33
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I just realized, now we're going to have say good things about Dan. I don't know if I can. Dan is such a revolting name. Every time I read the word "Dan", I cringe. This is going to be a lot harder than I thought.

Quinny

3 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Acting like we all weren’t saying Ron was connected and respected this time 4 years ago, it’s so amusing to watch folk try and trick themselves into the same trick they fell for literally 4 seasons ago 😆

I was in the minority on this board but I hated the Rivera hiring from the jump.

I don't feel the same way about Quinn. 

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 4

Just now, KillBill26 said:

To all the negative reactions about Ben Johnson, he looked bad for a fleeting moment.  But 365 days from now, if he has another successful season with the lions, he will be just as hot of a HC candidate as he was this offseason.  The only team that may still hold it against him will be us.  

Oh, we won't hold it against him....that @#$% 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Hey he got 1 more Super Bowl than Dan Quinn 😆

Quinn got one more super bowl appearance than every coach during Snyder's tenure.    Yeah I know, but Gibbs appearances were pre Snyder. 

• Thanks 1

I mean, at the end of the day I don’t see how anyone is excited about this.

But it’s not like Dan Quinn is an awful coach. He’s not. I’m not a fan of the way his defenses perform in big moments, how they collapse without a lead or how they don’t support sound offenses.

But maybe he can course correct.

Not a fan of the hire. It’s very… meh. But who knows.

So far I give this coach cycle a 6/10. His coordinator hires can bump that or decrease it. A good staff would make this hire look a heck of a lot better. 

We’ll see. 

Not the start I wanted but… open mind.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

This is 98% about roster construction, and Quinn isn't the final or sole voice on that.

Belichick isn't in the HOF without Brady. Kid Shanahan isn't in the SB next week with Trey Lance or Jimmy G. Reid is still the "lovable loser" he was in Philly without Mahomes. And it's not just QBs, either. Dungy and Payton probably have several more rings if the rest of the Colts' roster had been better.

There are just too many moving parts involved to say that Quinn is "another Rivera" or that we'll get a repeat of what happened in Atlanta. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll keep saying it – he has to be the play-caller on defense come game day, or I'll be disappointed. No need for delegation or trying to build up a buddy's portfolio; lean into what makes you great and take full responsibility.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I'll keep saying it – he has to be the play-caller on defense come game day, or I'll be disappointed. No need for delegation or trying to build up a buddy's portfolio; lean into what makes you great and take full responsibility.

I think he will be. I remember hearing about how when asked what he'd do differently, he admitted that he should have taken over defensive playcalling in Atlanta when things started to fall off.

1 minute ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I was in the minority on this board but I hated the Rivera hiring from the jump.

I don't feel same way about Quinn. 

Snyder frothing at the mouth to also give him the job that Adam Peters has now (as a sweetener to the deal to convince him to sign) is why I LOL'd at that hiring at the time. 

Don't see the same situation here, other than Quinn is a DC that fans don't find sexy. I, too, was hoping for an offensive playcaller to pair with young QB but I'm not going to act like Quinn is an unqualified rivera clone

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Acting like we all weren’t saying Ron was connected and respected this time 4 years ago, it’s so amusing to watch folk try and trick themselves into the same trick they fell for literally 4 seasons ago 😆

I think if Ron after getting canned turned around a bad defense into being one of the best in the league for multiple years, it would feel more similar.  Ditto if their personalities were very similar.  But neither is the case.

I'm not thrilled about the Quinn hire, was hoping for a better HC hire, but I'll go into it with an open mind and try to find some reasons for optimism.

Agree with importance of bringing in a solid OC.

As far as the defensive side.  He is well respected as a defensive Xs and Os guy.  Immediate upgrade from last year.  So with a healthy payne and Allen, along with the assumption we invest in a solid pass rusher, our d line should be pretty good.  A good defensive coach with a good dline is a great starting point.  Also include the enormous upgrade in GM from Rivera to peters to add talent to our back 7, and we should be competitive fairly quickly.  Maybe not in 2024, but another top draft slot wouldn't be the worst thing either.