Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

7 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

So this might sound like a stupid question but what's the big knock on Quinn?? Honest question here. I'm just going with the popular opinion on the guy, but he built a great defense in Seattle,  took the Falcons to the Super bowl (yes I know it was the ultimate choke job) and turned around that atrocious defense in Dallas. I see tweet after tweet about him being one of the most respected dudes in the league,  but it seems like nobody wants anything to do with him.  Yet people fall head over heals for Vrabel,  which I don't think any of his teams were even close to being contenders,  good teams,  but nothing elite.  And before anyone says it, I am not advocating for Dan Quinn as our HC.  

Because his success as an HC was directly tied to Kyle Shanahan and Matt Ryan having juice left in the twilight of his career. Once Shanahan left and Matt Ryan went belly up, Atlanta fell fast.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

Bieniemy probably comes back as OC because they spent so much time screwing around with Johnson.  How many OCs have been hired since the season ended?  

Sometimes:

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't want EB being the coach but we have to recognize that it's a stronger possibility now than it was 24 hours ago.  So, the sky might be falling a little bit.

Why is it a stronger possibility now?

• Thumb up 1

These guys are all now back in play: Joe Gibbs, Bill Cowher, Nick Saban, Bill Belicheck, Dick Vermeil, Urban Meyer, Jimmy Johnson, Chip Kelly, Marv Levy, Mike Shanahan, Pete Carroll.

Some good options here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

These guys are all now back in play: Joe Gibbs, Bill Cowher, Nick Saban, Bill Belicheck, Dick Vermeil, Urban Meyer, Jimmy Johnson, Chip Kelly, Marv Levy, Mike Shanahan, Pete Carroll.

Some good options here. 

Yeah in 2004.....

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Some good options here. 

Sign me up for Gibbs 3.0

What's Richie Petitbon up to these days?

Edited by spjunkies
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Defensive coach is okay as long as they have the personality to sit and teach and nurture their quarterback. 

A defensive coach that isn’t constantly coaching the QB on what defenses mean and how to beat each defense and manipulate each defense isn’t a guy that you can have success growing a QB with. So you depend on the OC. And if they are successful, they leave.

If we hire a D minded coach, that coach better take ownership of the QB as if they are the QB coach while the actual QB coach sticks to the mechanics. 

That’s why Belichick and Brady had success. That’s why these D coaches do well… and then they aren’t reliant on the OC at all. Once a successful program is established and they hire new offensive coaches as they leave the system stays. Everyone knows the system besides the new guy: you learn it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

50 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Are you gonna be singing that tune when we roll out Bienemy as head coach in 2024? 

Maybe. I’m still not sure he’d be nearly as bad if he had an OLine. Did you watch the lions game? None of the things they did would work behind our oline. Their speedy running backs would have finished the game with 2 yards a carry. 

id rather go down swinging than watch Dan Quinn try to sit on a lead. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

Peters cut his teeth under BB in New England.  John Lynch said BB respects Peters.  Schefter said BB only wants to coach.  Does BB really want to take a year off at his age?

Not saying it will happen, just don’t think it’s impossible. 

I've finished reading the book on the Patriots, "Better to be Feared." Excellent reading, btw. Belichick has liked quite a few people -- from his previous coordinators to players -- but only a couple of them said they could stomach working with him again, and only in the absence of viable alternatives.

Edited by BurgundyBooger

30 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The Commies should have at least said "Before you do that, at least meet with us."  Or even better "Hey, before you make any final decisions, let us know because we want to be able to meet with you to put our best offer on the table."  

Maybe they did those things and he still took the raise and stayed and didn't give the Commies the chance.  Who knows?

On one hand, if they still wanted to push for him, I'm sure they would've asked to at least go through with a meeting.  But on the other hand, it's not improbable for the team to conclude that if Johnson is not all in this year at a HC opportunity, then they are better off looking at other candidates.

30 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't want EB being the coach but we have to recognize that it's a stronger possibility now than it was 24 hours ago.  So, the sky might be falling a little bit.

Eh, I mean in a theoretical sense sure.  But is the chance of EB being the next HC or even OC meaningfully higher than before?  I wouldn't have taken +1000 (or whatever the line was) before and I still wouldn't take it.

Forcing EB on the players in whatever capacity would be a disaster. Do we not remember the rumblings at the end of the season about players not wanting him? This might have been for potential interim HC but I distinctly remember Keim (?) and some thinly-veiled player quotes at end of the season that made it sound like they couldn't stand him. 

I just don't see that kind of mistake coming from HOG/GMAP, unless they are absolutely desperate. 

• Like 4

I hate to say it but possible that MacDonald is flying back with the Seahawks to Seattle.  It's been quiet and no response.  I hope not and I want what's best for this team. I was behind Johnson with MacDonald as my first choice but I hope I am wrong about MacDonald being on the plane headed back to Seattle to do a deal.  :(  

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, CommandB11 said:

Actually I disagree with this. An agressive defensive HC will still be agressive on offense. Its in their nature. Just needs an OC to call the right plays at the right time.

I don’t buy it. It’s in their blood to trust their defenses to win a game. And once their job depends on wins and losses more than just how their unit does, I believe they’re naturally inclined to lean on the unit they trust, 

Breer just on. 

A.  Not sure so he was this slam dunk favorite for Washington as to Johnson and he heard they were doing a hard reset this week as to evaluating these coaches

B.  He heard Ben was insecure of where he was last year whether he was ready to be a HC.  He doesn't know if that insecurity kicked in and happened again

C.  Him jumping out of this again, will likely make some question him next year.  Is he ready among other things.  He agreed him pulling out at the last minute was weird

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Albert Breer on Grant and Danny a few minutes ago on the Ben Johnson fiasco:

1. Ben was not as strong a favorite as people thought.

2. Ben Johnson doesn't really interview well.

3. Ben was insecure about himself as a head coach last year and perhaps he still is a little bit now.

4. Turning down the job this cycle is a BIG RISK--

His name is hot now but that can change. Teams have long memories and no owner wants to be left at the altar.

5. Thinks Dan Quinn (ugh!) is probably the new favorite here. Players love him. Will hire a good staff and attract free agents.

Also mentioned  possibly Aaron Glenn, or MacDonald.

Then he said Mike Vrabel is someone they should talk to but they haven't so far.

• Thanks 1