Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Is it wrong to get cold feet after seeing Ben ran Monty after telegraphing he was going run Monty and were easily stopped and forced to burn a season ending timeout?

Recency bias is a thing. Unless it goes against that other thing. Obsessing.

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Possibly but every other team knew that but Seattle? Or Seattle didn't care? And Ben still agreed to meet with them anyway? 

Teams don't want to miss out on other candidates they like, so they prefer to go with another guy they have interviewed before they might lose him. Especially if it's unlikely they would get Ben Johnson. Seattle was willing to wait and likely would be happy with Johnson, Macdonald, or Quinn so no issue for them waiting. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Teams don't want to miss out on other candidates they like, so they prefer to go with another guy they have interviewed before they might lose him. Especially if it's unlikely they would get Ben Johnson. Seattle was willing to wait and likely would be happy with Johnson, Macdonald, or Quinn so no issue for them waiting. 

See, I just don't think anyone picks a head coach that way. Like "ehhh, I'll be happy with any one of the three." 

So... lets say they pick Johnson and lets say Fraley OL comes as OC. Fraley is older and could help control the Offense. I also heard it would be a steal if they could get Clyde Christensen to come help out as QB coach. He's helping out UNC right now which might bode well for the team drafting the QB kid from UNC. So you'd have two older guys helping out with the offense. The defensive side of the ball is the question. I'd almost like to see someone completely different. I'd prefer a young guy on that side of the ball as well but something tells me we should probably go older wiser DC. I'm hoping Quinn is not in the mix as DC/AHC. I tried looking at all the old guys and who's still available and possibly their predecessors but I keep coming up with nothing. Maybe Penn States DC? or Michigan's DC? but Michigan's is a young guy I think. 

If you go young across the board and their a hit you gotta worry about other teams picking them to be HC the following year. lol.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThatNFLChick said:

See, I just don't think anyone picks a head coach that way. Like "ehhh, I'll be happy with any one of the three." 

I'm not saying there were ehh whatever. If their top 3 guys were those 3, there was no need for them to be rushed and worry about losing them. They would of course wait and interview them. Quinn has been available longer but they already have a connection with him. Heck they may not want him. 

If I had to guess, I think that both teams really want Johnson as a first choice and I think Johnson wants to be here. I also think both teams would be happy with Macdonald as the runner up.

For Johnson, it makes sense to use your leverage when it comes to contract negotiations and to meet with both teams in order to maximize value… it also doesn’t hurt to do your due diligence on both teams (just like the team are doing themselves). 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

9 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Is it wrong to get cold feet after seeing Ben ran Monty after telegraphing he was going run Monty and were easily stopped and forced to burn a season ending timeout?

We all make mistakes, gotta watch to see if folks learn from them, imo.

• Like 1

Also if there is already a deal in place with Johnson, I don't love that they are still meeting with Glenn. I understand Rooney Rule compliance but it just seems...icky and kind of awful to have your coworker/friend meet about a job you know they won't get because you already got it. 

17 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

my thing is @Hitman#21 has never done this before to my knowledge and he’s been around a long time. I’m willing to listen to any poster here that has a good track record and has not previously said he knows this or that. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that he has information now.

Also, I have connections from the Gibbs years. A family member worked very high up with the team. Although I was young, I was given all kinds of information about young players that the team was excited about and some background stuff. I even got a football signed by the whole ‘91 SuoerBowl squad. So, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Hitman#21 has a source,

Great post!

I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, unless or until given reason not to.

Hitman21 has never given me reason to question the sincerity of his assertions and I appreciate his sharing with them us and I hope he'll continue to do so.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

Lets be honest here and Peters needs to point this out... who the heck wants to live in Seattle? It's cloudy, it's dreary. No one. Unless their paid a ton or from there. The DMV has a lot more to offer...especially if he has kids. Kings Dominion. Great Wolf Lodge. Va. Beach. DC monuments. Museums. etc. etc. Just don't bring up traffic PLEASE. 

Listening to a Seattle reporter on Sheehan,

A.  He thinks Ben Johnson is the target for Seatttle

B.  McDonald the back up idea.

C.  Johnson gets offered the job by both Seattle and Washington.  

D.  Johnson chooses Washington because of Qb, #2 pick.

Also Sheehan said he heard that this FO was impressed with Quinn as to his zoom interview and he heard some there see him as a strong Plan B.  Sheehan assumes Johnson is Plan A.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Campbell said that was on him, he wanted a run and expected to walk right in but a block was missed, he gambled and lost.

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Hitman#21 said:

Ben Johnson will be the next WSH HC. Only quiet because of people like yourself. Also Google what happened in Arizona last year, Harris and Co. are smart, and calculated like keeping Ron throughout the season. 

If it came out that Ben has the job why would these guys interview? Why wouldn't the Lions file tampering charges? Some of you guys still think this ORG is run by Snyder. 

Agreed. Obviously this is just my opinion, but it's Ben Johnson. It's always been Ben Johnson. Everything else is basically a dog and pony show. When word leaked out about it being "done" last week, that obviously doesn't look great. Not only for Washington and complying with the Rooney Rule, but also the NFL, which is dealing with the Flores lawsuit. So you have a few "leaks" about it not being done, the facade of more interviews, and the PR spin starts anew. But I don't see how this ends up anywhere else than where it was last week. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just reading the tea leaves here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Also if there is already a deal in place with Johnson, I don't love that they are still meeting with Glenn. I understand Rooney Rule compliance but it just seems...icky and kind of awful to have your coworker/friend meet about a job you know they won't get because you already got it. 

They don’t need to interview Glenn for Rooney Rule compliance. They interviewed Weaver and Morris.

Edited by Ball Security

6 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Perhaps they really like Glenn and wanna give him a chance to interview.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

They don’t need to interview Glenn for Rooney Rule compliance. The interviewed Weaver and Morris.

In person?

Either way, if Ben Johnson got the job why would he let his friend and coworker go through a dog and pony show thinking he had a chance at getting the job.  I really don't like that suggestion. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick

Just read some notes from a Seahawks blog site that backs up my point above on thinking the Seahawks prefer Johnson:

Schneider dropped a big hint about his thought-process, noting he was conscious of ‘where the league is’ in 2024 in a clear reference to current trends. We all know what that is — offensive-focused football. He also referred to Alex Smith’s experience coming into the league, where he ended up having to work with three different offensive coordinators in three years, something that Schneider felt impacted his career greatly.

He followed that answer up when talking about the philosophy of going with an offensive, defensive or special teams coach. He spoke very openly about the challenge of losing an offensive coordinator if they succeed. I don’t think Schneider was spelling it out that the Seahawks are going to hire an offensive-minded Head Coach but it suggests he’s conscious of the potential issue if you don’t. Or, that if he does go with a defensive-minded guy, they need to have a proper plan in place

— I think Schneider’s preference is to land an offensive-minded Head Coach. I also think he’s itching to draft a quarterback to create a duo for the future. The Seahawks have a cluster of exciting weapons on offense, that is their strength, and I think they will lean into it for their identity. That’s been the Green Bay way of doing things and that’s Schneider’s DNA.

— For that reason, I do think Ben Johnson could be a prime target. As I noted in my piece last week, Johnson has had success with a lot of similar pieces to the ones they currently have in Seattle. He’s highly intelligent, innovative, aggressive and young. He wouldn’t be expecting any big sway in personnel and would give the Seahawks an opportunity to be productive quickly next season, building towards something more than merely competing. This kind of hire would speak to Schneider’s note that they’re conscious of the way the league is going. It would also give them an opportunity to avoid any concern about losing the play-caller/quarterback bond.

— I think Schneider knows that virtually every other team would also love to hire Johnson and that he’s in for a fight — especially with the Commanders. Aside from the reported hook-up between Washington’s new GM Adam Peters and Johnson, it’s believed Johnson’s preference is to live in the North East. The Commanders own the #2 pick which is a prime spot to draft a quarterback. Plus the new owners in Washington are well placed to throw money at a big salary. The Seahawks, if they want Johnson, will need to sell their superior facility, stadium, roster, culture and the beauty of the PNW. The feeling is Johnson is destined for the capital and the Seahawks might already be fighting a losing battle — but they have their interview request in so we’ll see. 

— People always mention Detroit’s O-line when Johnson’s name comes up. It’s a fair point. It’s also worth noting how they created it. Taylor Decker was a #16 pick (the Seahawks own the #16 pick this year), Jonah Jackson was a third rounder, Frank Ragnow was a #20 pick, Graham Glasgow was a free agent and earns $2.75m a year (less than Phil Haynes) and Penei Sewell was a #7 pick. The Seahawks have already used a top-10 pick on a tackle. They can create a line like Detroit’s as long as they’re prepared to invest in a center and make wise decisions in the draft and free agency. The Lions’ haven’t done anything that dramatic or challenging. This isn’t impossible

https://seahawksdraftblog.com/my-thoughts-on-john-schneiders-press-conference-and-latest-thoughts-on-the-coaching-search

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Hitman#21 said:

Thanks! Only so much that can be said.

If it happens I'll be told "everyone knew" and if it doesn't "you made it up". But this stuff is very fluid and the stuff that comes out usually is only 30% of it.

I've been here for a while and just wanted to share with all those who bleed B and G.

No link. 

I'm really sad you didn't put a link pointing to your original post.  Haha

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

In person?

Either way, if Ben Johnson got the job why would he let his friend and coworker go through a dog and pony show thinking he had a chance at getting the job.  I really don't like that suggestion. 

This is a REACH

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hitman#21 said:

Weaver interviewing for Miami D Coord is another sign he knows he's out here. 

That's one of them drawbacks to getting your coach so late is you miss out on the good coordinators but getting the head coach right is more important. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1