Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Whille I liked what I've read abut Ben Johnson's leadership skills-charisma compared to Slowik.    I don't get the vibe he matches Quinn on that front.  So am a little worried. :ols:

I get the idea that its not all about play calling.  Keim mentioned talking to people around the league some coordinators are liked but not seen as HCs.  I get that. 

So I am not in the camp that play calling is everything.  You can be a good playcaller and suck as a HC.  And you can be a nonplay caller and be a good HC.

But I am in the camp of splitting it in the middle.  And that's how Ben Johnson feels to me.  Plus I do favor offense over defense.   And I do favor a coach on their first act over the 2nd act.

Thing is I wouldnt hate Quinn. I just hate the idea of a Defensive head coach. ANY OF THEM. Cannot have our OC getting poached every 2 years with a young QB in house. Quinn is a hell of a coach. But the NFL has changed. There are NO OC's right now in the entire league that were hired before 2020. They all get poached. All of them. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If we end up with Quinn, I say he will be Josh’s firing as an nfl owner.  He may build this team back up but I don’t see him ever winning us a championship.

I get the strong impression that Harris would have little to do with it.  Bob Myers, Spielman and Peters seem to be driving the HC boat.

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the strong impression that Harris would have little to do with it.  Bob Myers, Spielman and Peters seem to be driving the HC boat.

I'd be bewildered if the hire isn't Johnson.  Again, a lot will be known if Detroit loses.  

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Thing is I wouldnt hate Quinn. I just hate the idea of a Defensive head coach. ANY OF THEM. Cannot have our OC getting poached every 2 years with a young QB in house. Quinn is a hell of a coach. But the NFL has changed. There are NO OC's right now in the entire league that were hired before 2020. They all get poached. All of them. 

Yeah, saw that stat the other day too.  Jarring.  The OC’s don’t stick for more than a couple years.  They all either get fired because they stink or stolen/promoted because they are good.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If we end up with Quinn, I say he will be Josh’s firing as an nfl owner.  He may build this team back up but I don’t see him ever winning us a championship.

How many coaches don’t get fired?  Sean Payton retired, I guess.  Gibbs retired twice.  Vermeil retired at least once (Rams).  I don’t remember the situation with him leaving the Eagles in the 80’s.  I think he might have retired, I don’t remember. 

Almost every coach is fired eventually.  And I think the average HC is something like 3 years.  

Winning a championship is hard.  

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

If Seattle doesn't hire BB, and it looks like BB won't have a HC job this season, what is he going to do?  He isn't going to the college ranks.  He could become an analyst like Sean Payton did, but I don't see him wanting to be a member of the media that he seems to loathe.  You know he wants to be a HC again to get that record, so he probably wants to stay active in the league.  At one of his last pressers with the pats, he stressed how much he loves prepping a team and game planning etc (probably as a hint to owners that he would be open to not having personnel control, but that didn't seem to work).

So, in order to continue to do what he loves, and stay in the league, if Harris were to pay him handsomely... BB as DC?  Sounds nuts, and highly unlikely, but maybe a possibility?  .1% chance?  As Lloyd Christmas once said, "so you're telling me there's a chance!"

BB would be an invaluable mentor to Ben Johnson as he learns the ropes as a head coach.  He would be worth a record breaking coordinator salary.  

I like how you're thinking but have one concern, would it be too large of a shadow for Ben Johnson as a 1st year coach to have BB on the staff who still wants to be a HC and break Shula's record? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Except when he won in the Super Bowl in 2013 for Seattle and went back again in 2014 and took Atlanta to the Super Bowl. “Never” is not quite the right word. 

Quinn can coach and I feel like his players play for him. Who's to say he couldn't win multiple SB's with the right owner and personnel? Quinn can coach. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I like how you're thinking but have one concern, would it be too large of a shadow for Ben Johnson as a 1st year coach to have BB on the staff who still wants to be a HC and break Shula's record? 

I, personally would also like to add this comment: "**** Bill Belicheck".....I'll NEVER forget when he ran up the score in Foxboro against a very undermanned Redskins team coached by HOF coach Joe Gibbs. I hope nobody hires him and he doesn't pass Shula. I especially hope we don't see him in D.C. because of the history we have with him. And I'm glad we beat his ass this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Quinn doesn't excite me, he's 500 as a head coach with a solid QB at the helm and I can't get that blown 28-3 lead in the Superbowl out of my head.

He's Rivera 2.0

Was a great DC, went to a SB as coach and lost, then never won again. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

He's Rivera 2.0

Was a great DC, went to a SB as coach and lost, then never won again. 

Was about to post exactly the same thing. Once Kyle Shanahan left, the team sucked. I can't believe people are even considering him, especially after what GB did to his overhyped defense.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Riggo-toni said:

Was about to post exactly the same thing. Once Kyle Shanahan left, the team sucked. I can't believe people are even considering him, especially after what GB did to his overhyped defense.

His teams fail every year during the playoffs.  That's huge.  Dallas wants him gone.  Nuff said. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Riggo-toni said:

My guess is his experience is coming into play with swaying the powers that be with his ideas plus his experience with facing us two times a year is helping him compose the perfect interview. 

I just hope our management is solid enough not to fall for the bs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

We’re to the point where we’re talking ourselves into mediocre candidates to avoid being hurt…

What mediocre candidates? Rick Spielman was on Sirius NFL channel today and said the available candidates are all great and that there will be some great candidates who aren't hired this year who will be next year. 

1 minute ago, spjunkies said:

My guess is his experience is coming into play with swaying the powers that be with his ideas plus his experience with facing us two times a year is helping him compose the perfect interview. 

I just hope our management is solid enough not to fall for the bs.

Not really any evidence that Quinn is swaying anyone in his interviews.  So far it looks like they are probably giving 2nd interviews to everyone who got 1st interviews, minus Morris now.

• Like 1

Just now, kingdaddy said:

What mediocre candidates? Rick Spielman was on Sirius NFL channel today and said the available candidates are all great and that there will be some great candidates who aren't hired this year who will be next year. 

Dan Quinn, being one.

He’s failed before. Yes, I am someone that thinks everyone deserves a second chance. However, he coached Dallas this year. It sounds old school but I’m completely serious: this regime should be all in on anti-Cowboys as they get started.

Second: his defense fell apart during the second half of the year and had a major collapse in the playoffs. 

Why is he considered a good candidate for this job?

And, quite frankly, why do Rick Speilman’s words to the public mean a single thing? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1