Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

It would be bad leadership to not give EB an interview on Harris and Peters part. Even if they know they don’t want to go his direction, it’s a bridge and reputation builder to allow EB to say he interviewed (and is still interviewing) for HC gigs.

There was already an article somewhere about how EB didn’t want Howell, suggesting Brissett instead, so he’s already on top of washing his hands of it and finding the next gig. 

Edited by “Misdirection”
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Dang Falcons!

I made that "they are interviewing everybody" comment 2 hrs ago. Its like they took that as a challenge.

They are either going for the world record for interviews or they are just subscribing to the gatling gun method.

Sq.jpg.0ed8c4d9a4d81b4c82ef33940ebe9677.jpg

Every candidate you interview usually gives you feedback on your personnel. Doesn’t hurt to get a bunch of free breakdowns of your team and common criticisms will emerge. This is probably Arthur Blank’s last shot at a run and he wants to maximize it. It’s probably not going to work given the desperation, but can’t blame the guy for doing due diligence.

• Thumb up 1

I'll say watching the Lions right now I love that the Lions go no huddle when they have momentum and favorable matchups. But I don't know if that's a Ben Johnson call or Dan Campbell.

But I do know that Johnson designs the offense and their usage of spacing is excellent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

I'll say watching the Lions right now I love that the Lions go no huddle when they have momentum and favorable matchups. But I don't know if that's a Ben Johnson call or Dan Campbell.

But I do know that Johnson designs the offense and their usage of spacing is excellent.

Plus they do it with a mediocre QB. I don’t care what the stats say, Goff doesn't pass the eye test. Dude is mediocre and they are still doing well. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HigSkin said:

Benjamin Albright mentioned he didn't want to speak too soon but there'd be a swap of OC's alluding to EB going to Detriot for Ben Johnson.

That’s a swap I would’ve made yesterday lol 😝 

Edited by Command The 414
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

The resurgence of his leadership style in the NFL is noticeable, with Dan Campbell leading the way and the recent inclusion of Antonio Pierce. Trends in the league often follow cyclical patterns. 

In line with your observation, players might not immediately rally to his defense, but building genuine rapport takes time, often linked to financial rewards. It's likely that players like Wylie and Pringle, who potentially benefited financially, have a positive view of him.

EB’s communication and leadership style has nothing in common with Dan Campbell, or Antonio Pierce even. Are you just lumping together guys who you assume yell a lot? EB has negative emotional intelligence, literally the opposite of Campbell (and Pierce). 

It’s clear you think they’re all just “old school” motivators. That isn’t at all why Campbell is successful. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

After watching the eagles collapse, now more than ever, I truly believe you gotta go offense for your head coach For sustained year after year success. Really hoping for ben johnson.

Teams that win lose their offensive coordinators to be head coaches elsewhere.

The only way I can see it being a better situation to hire a defensive minded head coach is if you have a qb like manning or Brady or Rodgers. They are pretty much coaches on the field.

Edited by mac8887

1 hour ago, profusion said:

EB seems to have a more favorable reputation inside the league than he does among us Commanders fans.

I'm torn on this.

• There were alarm bells in camp about his leadership style.
  • His playcalling seemed odd at times, decent at others.
  • I didn't see a lot of adjustments.
  • Brissett moved the team down the field pretty easily in EB's offense. 
  • Tough for me to say how much of Howell's struggles late in the season were on him versus EB.

The concerns about his leadership style are the main reason I wouldn't hire him. Maybe the team needed some shaking up, but I didn't sense that the offensive players were willing to "run through a brick wall" for him.

I question how favorable EB's reputation is inside the league. 

He has interviewed countless times over the years for a HC position and as far as I know, never even received a second interview for a position. 

Also. if was really well liked why would he have not received interview requests for this year? As far as I know Washingtons interview is the only request he received. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Sadly, for some the trauma from Snyder’s ownership is irreversible.

Bro... Vinny was a certified Genius

Have you seen his movie? It was like watching Daniel Day-Lewis....

15 minutes ago, mac8887 said:

After watching the eagles collapse, now more than ever, I truly believe you gotta go offense for your head coach For sustained year after year success. Really hoping for ben johnson.

Teams that win lose their offensive coordinators to be head coaches elsewhere.

The only way I can see it being a better situation to hire a defensive minded head coach is if you have a qb like manning or Brady or Rodgers. They are pretty much coaches on the field.

How do the Eagles connect to your take?  Sirianni came up on the offensive side of the ball and was a former OC.

We interviewed EB for 2 reasons.

1.  Get on honest assessment of the roster by someone still employed by us. EB gives them an honest assessment of what he really thinks about the roster he worked with last year and he can compare what we have to what he had in KC.  Also, he can tell them why he wasn’t successful thus year.

2.  This is a courtesy interview. The national media would go on and on, if we didn’t interview EB. EB gets an interview and team doesn’t get any negative pr for not interviewing him.

Only way EB got a job here, if all our candidates said no.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, klwilkins1977 said:

What makes Morris have the least impressive resume? His Super Bowl ring? The fact that at every stop in his coaching career he has related to his players, garnering their respect and gaining a healthy dose of cooperation and players clamoring to play for him?  Maybe it's his maturation in the 15 years since his head coaching stint of a bad Buccaneers team?

Your take is... buffonery. You being a 'dark-skinned minority' does not make your shameful and ill-informed take of Morris' candidacy any more palatable.  In fact, the shame is that you fail to see that Morris should have these interviews, Rooney Rule or no Rooney Rule. Also, you fail to point out that Raheem may not be afforded these interviews otherwise because 'insiders' and power-brokers fail to see the legitimacy of Black/brown head coaching candidates and the contributions of Black position coaches/coordinators are oft times belittled because said coach is from '______coaching tree'.  

I am not advocating we hire a Black.  I want the BEST coach.  Having opportunities for more, diverse voices in the hiring-interview process will not take opportunities from anyone.  In fact, it creates opportunity. I would take that Atlanta interview you mentioned.  The owner-GM fraternity is small and there are only 32 head coaching positions available.  That fraternity talks and thise talks may open up another opportunity elsewhere... the whole point of the Rooney Rule in the first place. Also, those Rooney interviews aren't being given to first year video operators.  They are going to valid, career coaches who are losing to less tenured and less proven... other... coaches i.e. Morris vs Johnson. 

I'm going to address these points individually and then leave it there so as not to go down a rabbit hole.

---

First of all on Raheem, keep in mind I said he could be a great HC. I am not saying I have a crystal ball and think definitively he's a dud. Just that of that shortlist, I think he's the least impressive. Why is that, you ask? Let's look at his actual results as HC, Assistant HC, Coordinator.

1) We know he went 17-31 as HC in Tampa. But granted he was very young and very green, and that was a long time ago.

2) Assistant Head Coach in Atlanta for 2015-2019 as a position coach. Then in 2020 he gets elevated to D Coordinator but loses the Assistant Head Coach title, which I find odd. Why would you get promoted and demoted at the same time? That's strange. The Falcons that year were #29 in Yards Allowed, #19 in Points Allowed, #30 in Passing TDs allowed, #13 in Rushing TDs allowed. Not very impressive IMO. He also took over as Interim HC, but I won't hold those results against him.

3) The Rams. In 2021, Rams D was #15 in Points Allowed, #17 in Yards Allowed, #2 in Passing TDs allowed, #25 in Rushing TDs allowed. In 2022, they were #22 in Points Allowed, #19 in Yards Allowed, #16 in Passing TDs allowed, #11 in Rushing TDs allowed. In 2023, they were #19 in Points Allowed, #20 in Yards Allowed, #22 in Passing TDs allowed, #11 in Rushing TDs allowed. I don't think that's a glowing resume. Now he did a great job in the Super Bowl keeping Joe Burrow to just 20 points. He also had Aaron Donald, Von Miller, Leonard Floyd, and Jalen Ramsey on that unit.

Now I readily concede there can be additional context on those numbers. With Boy Wonder McVay on offense, Raheem could've been playing a lot of prevent to protect leads which would drag down Yardage stats. But on the whole, I don't see those results as particularly spectacular.

Let's contrast with Ben Johnson. In 2022, the Lions offense was #5 in Points Scored, #3 in Yards, #8 in Passing TDs, #3 in Rushing TDs. Top rankings across the board in all major categories. In 2023, the Lions offense was #5 in Points Scored, #3 in Yards, #5 in Passing TDs, #3 in Rushing TDs. Top 5 in every major category and consistent year to year.

Dan Quinn coached the Legion of Boom defense and reached the Super Bowl in his 2nd year in Atlanta, which let's be honest, he should've won if not for Kyle's crazy play-calling. His defenses in Dallas have been top-ranked.

Your case for Morris is all qualitative stuff... he relates to his players, they respect him, he's matured. You could say that about Ron. He's clearly a great guy and players love him. That's valuable, but results matter most. As Redskins Legend Mr. Swaggy so beautifully put it, "check the stats, ****!". Lol

----

Something I want to address about the other openings. Look at the Chargers. They brought in Leslie Frazier and David Shaw for in-person interviews when everyone and their mother has linked them to Harbaugh. To me, those are sham interviews. They are not hiring Leslie Frazier. And I think it's a bit insulting to those coaches - they don't need practice with interviews, they're experienced guys.

With Atlanta, perhaps we just differ on this personally, but I wouldn't want to interview for a job I have 0% chance of getting. There are plenty of ways to get experience interviewing that doesn't involve sham processes. Maybe just a personal difference of opinion.

---

I have never said we are only interviewing diverse candidates to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Not once did I say anything close to it. It doesn't even make sense since our diverse interviews don't even satisfy the rule. Clearly we cast a wide net with talking to candidates. And frankly, I'd be more excited taking a bet on someone like Anthony Weaver in different circumstances than Raheem Morris (since we need to develop a rookie QB, I'm damn near close to Offensive Guy or Bust). Interviewing EB was important for fact-finding and roster

evaluation.

My point was simply that for a number of practical reasons - stalking horse negotiations, Rooney Rule, etc. - I was skeptical about the leaked "shortlist". I think the ownership group is very zeroed in on Ben Johnson.

---

If we do in fact hire Raheem Morris, I will support him 100% and readily concede that all the talk about his leadership qualities was for real and the FO believes in him. I am speculating as an outsider, as we all are.

---

I don't have a problem with you calling my take buffoonery or shameful of ill-informed since they are subjective opinions that you're entitled to hold. But just as I don't know the road you've walked, you don't know mine, and I'd encourage you to have some more open-mindedness and humility in considering others' perspectives. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's another to assert they have some sort of moral failing for their perspective. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

The resurgence of his leadership style in the NFL is noticeable, with Dan Campbell leading the way and the recent inclusion of Antonio Pierce. Trends in the league often follow cyclical patterns. 

In line with your observation, players might not immediately rally to his defense, but building genuine rapport takes time, often linked to financial rewards. It's likely that players like Wylie and Pringle, who potentially benefited financially, have a positive view of him.

I don’t get the vibe listening to Keim that the players like Bieniemy.

As for Pierce the players clearly love hm. And I suspect he’s a good X and Os guy considering many have said he was a super smart caller of a defense when he played Mike LB. 

Campbell definitely a case of a leader type who isn’t a play caller 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I see people saying that we wouldn’t want Russ or Kirk but why’s that lol?. We getting a rookie qb maybe and if not they could be high on Howell . Personally believe we will trade back that #2 and get a ton of picks for this year and next . We need probably a veteran qb to groom our rookie and realistically that is a long term solution. It’s worked for the packers and I don’t think there’s anything wrong building the team and getting the best available qb to have us still compete . 

Our OL going to be sus next year regardless imo.