Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Jay Gruden is an idiot. 

KC don’t have crap at skill positions outside of TE. None of their receivers would start here - Rice maybe would be #3. Their offensive roster overall is bang average at best. 

But they have Patrick Mahomes. 

He was talking about when EB was there - they had Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Kelce, Kareem Hunt (when he was really good) etc. 

Edited by ThatNFLChick
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He was talking about when EB was there - they had Mahomes, Tyreek Hill, Kelce, Kareem Hunt (when he was really good) etc. 

Hill left in 22. He wasn’t there the last year EB was there and they won the Super Bowl. Hunt left in 2018. 

Mahomes won a Super Bowl with only Kelce as an elite talent. Smith-Schuster was their leading receiver after Kelce and they didn’t have a back even reach 4 yards a carry. It was all Mahomes.

Get an elite a QB and a lot of coaches can call plays for him.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't begrudge anyone for getting the money. They should all go for the bucks while they can get them.

However, if Johnson is willing to go to the garbage fire in Carolina for a couple mil more per year, I have some doubts about his intelligence. 

I mean, it might not just be the per year money. If Tepper stacks on an unreasonable number of contract years, you asking Ben Johnson to turn down guaranteed generational wealth.

Who says no to a Jon Gruden 10 year special? and we aint dumb enough to give that.

and as per the EB/Gruden stuff, he never looked good in KC in the role we gave him here. He was not a "true OC". He never installed his own offense there and never called plays. We brought him here to do things he had never demonstrated on an NFL level and he sucked at it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I mean, it might not just be the per year money. If Tepper stacks on an unreasonable number of contract years, you asking Ben Johnson to turn down guaranteed generational wealth.

Who says no to a Jon Gruden 10 year special? and we aint dumb enough to give that.

So, winning isn't part of the consideration? Nor is the amount of money that would ultimately come to him if he was a successful head coach rather than a failure?

I stand by my previous statement. 

I have to think slowik is the front runner for this job. Him and peters arrived in SF the same year and worked together there for six years. I know Ben Johnson is the consensus top available, but if peters and slowik had a strong rapport I’m SF then he must be higher on our list.

Both Johnson and slowik dramatically turned around programs that were in as bad of a shape as ours… I’ll take either, gladly, my moneys on slowik.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We brought him here to do things he had never demonstrated on an NFL level..

Same thing with Johnson or Slowik or (insert name of young coordinator) as HC, right?

Can’t help thinking Morris having held that that position before and reputedly an outstanding “leader of men” and a rock, just might be the man they go with if they truly believe/want what they’re saying.

13 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Both Johnson and slowik dramatically turned around programs that were in as bad of a shape as ours… I’ll take either, gladly, my moneys on slowik.

It would make for a nice welcome back ceremony if Slowik were to return as the HC , like at the first home game of the season 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

Same thing with Johnson or Slowik or (insert name of young coordinator) as HC, right?

Where applicable, yes.

Some things you take a leap of faith on, but you don't give credit beforehand.

Gruden is wrong in saying EB didn't forget what he was doing after his stint in KC when he was never doing the things he did here. That is illogical.

If we are hiring a first time HC, there are some aspects of the job that you have not seen those candidates do. So you try your best to do find good fits but there is still an element of unknown.

1 hour ago, spjunkies said:

Great interview with Chick! Remember Chick with Steve Buckhantz from WTTG 5. Fairfax was my hometown.  Grew up there and watched this team, The Redskins from the time I remember at 7 and have followed them since.  Ben Johnson!  Chick said it!  :)  

20 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

I get that Morris is the leader of men type and well liked but wasn’t he terrible as the Bucs head coach? Not sure a retread is the way to go with the clean slate we finally have. But in AP we now trust lol.

Did you listen to the video above, A?  Ben Johnson is who Chick said he thought was the guy. The guy being our new HC in the 2nd part of their interview later tonight. :)   Keep an eye and ear open for Tariq Ahmad from the 9ers.  I think Adam will try like the dickens to get him out here to be part of this team in the F.O. 

Edited by RWJ

2 hours ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

I get that Morris is the leader of men type and well liked but wasn’t he terrible as the Bucs head coach? Not sure a retread is the way to go with the clean slate we finally have. But in AP we now trust lol.

Morris was thrust into the role 13 years ago when he was young, on a Tampa team without great talent, after Gruden was fired. He probably wasn't ready for the role at age 32. Since then, he was here with the 'amazing geniuses' under Shanahan, followed Kyle to Atlanta where he spent time on both sides of the ball, and then followed McVay to LA as DC. He has a lot of experience now and is well-regarded. I would have no problem with him as HC. He would need a good OC but I'm sure he has a plan for that. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stoox said:

Morris was thrust into the role 13 years ago when he was young, on a Tampa team without great talent, after Gruden was fired. He probably wasn't ready for the role at age 32. Since then, he was here with the 'amazing geniuses' under Shanahan, followed Kyle to Atlanta where he spent time on both sides of the ball, and then followed McVay to LA as DC. He has a lot of experience now and is well-regarded. I would have no problem with him as HC. He would need a good OC but I'm sure he has a plan for that. 

Buccaneer D is rated #23 overall.  You want him as our HC?  You may want to rethink it.

2023 NFL Defense Rankings: Team Pass and Rush Stats | FOX Sports

• Confused 1

The rise of Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson

"He definitely has the characteristics to be a head coach," Lions running back David Montgomery said. "And he'll get there eventually, if that's what he wants ultimately, but right now he's just focused on right now and helping us be the best versions of ourselves."

"I've tried to hire Ben many, many, many times. He always just gets promoted to where I can't get him. [Lions coach] Dan [Campbell] knows that," Taylor told reporters. "I've always tried to find a place for him on staff, whether it's offense, defense, special [teams], it doesn't matter. He's one of those guys you want on your staff because he's brilliant."

"Campbell describes Johnson as a "chess player". He says Johnson puts a lot of time and thought into getting certain players touches and when to call plays, which, according to Campbell, is key in building the gameplan for the week."

"You can't do that if you don't have a coordinator that's got vision, flexibility and belief in what he does so Ben's outstanding," Campbell said. "He's doing a hell of a job, [he's] his own worst critic, too. He's harder on himself than anybody can be, so he's driven that way.".............................................

Reminds me of some characteristics he shares with Joe Gibbs and Mike Tomlin.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1