Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

22 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

However, and I could be completely wrong with this feeling, but I do feel that Harris tends to prefer retread coaches who have had success to guys who have never been HC's. His last two HC hirings with the Sixers have been Doc Rivers and Nick Nurse, both retreads who were winners elsewhere.

Just like Lindy Ruff with the New Jersey Devils. 

36 minutes ago, Stoox said:

I don't think this will happen, and just spitballing here..... but if Peters truly believes the roster is complete bargain basement trash, then there may be an outside chance he takes the approach of *not* drafting the QB right away. They could trade down from #2, get a huge haul of picks for 2024 and 2025, and rebuild the lines, TE, WR and overall quality of the roster, so that when a does QB come in, they are set up for success. There would be nothing worse than drafting Williams or Maye, and having them get destroyed behind that line next year, like Howell just was.

Then again, I would expect that if they do take a QB at the draft, they will at least kick Wylie inside to G and invest in a tackle, so that protection will hold up better....and that the new OC will run the damn ball more for a change.

I have been thinking about it a lot, but after watching the opening playoff games I realize the QB is the most important position on the field. Look at CJ Stroud. He is already excellent. A great skillset. Consistent. Goes through his progressions, moves fluidly around the pocket. Can run if he has to. Man, he is good. 

I was most surprised by Love. I only watched maybe 3 of his games this year because there is a Packer's bar around me, so I stop in now and then. They were sort of hating on him in the beginning of the season...lol!  But he looked flawless against the Cowturds. He turned a corner. I wish Howell had. But he did not. He actually regressed. 

I am 100% certain Adams, and the HC will get a decent OL assembled from the draft, and if need be, in free agency.  But we have to pull the trigger on a QB.  I have no problem keeping Howell because he will not be a disruption and he is on that cheap rookie deal.  I think with a good coach Howell will learn a lot and become a serviceable backup or get another opportunity in the league.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

If Vrabel were to be the hire as HC, I could see him bringing in Arthur Smith as the OC. They did well together in Tennessee with Vrabel at HC and Smith as OC, before Smith got hired away to be the HC with Atlanta. I know Smith was not a very good HC with the Falcons, but again, he was a good OC with the Titans. We all know how these coaches love hiring guys they've worked with in the past and I could definitely see Smith being Vrabel's OC wherever Vrabel ends up being the head coach.

Smith is also a guy with a North Carolina connection, as he played O-line there in college. I don't think Smith holds any grudges against the franchise as he has the past several years after the fallout between Snyder and his father- a former co-owner, so I wouldn't think he would have an issue with coaching here if Vrabel gets hired and wants him here.

I'm not at all saying I want this to happen and I honestly don't think it will. However, and I could be completely wrong with this feeling, but I do feel that Harris tends to prefer retread coaches who have had success to guys who have never been HC's. His last two HC hirings with the Sixers have been Doc Rivers and Nick Nurse, both retreads who were winners elsewhere.

You can look this up if you'd like, but I promise you it's true. The NFL is different from the NBA.

Also, and again I assure you this is the case- the Commanders are in a far different situation than the 76ers were/are. 

18 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Also, and again I assure you this is the case- the Commanders are in a far different situation than the 76ers were/are. 

Indeed. Harris had to institute the process there, and it took them several years to reach an appropriate level of suck that they were ready to start rebuilding from Rockbottom. WE’RE ALREADY THERE BABY!!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I was more interested in Harris saying IQ and high intelligence was particularly important to him in a Head Coach. 

AKA Rivera is a nice guy but not the sharpest knife in the drawer

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Breer dropping hints? 

I interpret this as Breer doing Vrabel's agent a favor.

• Haha 3

The "leader of men" thing during the press conference was a nothing statement IMO.

Let's say Peters is highly predisposed to hiring an offensive guy. Well, he's not going to say it publicly when MacDonald, Aaron Glenn, Raheem Morris, and Anthony Weaver are on our interview list.

"Leadership is important" is definitionally true for hiring a leadership position and is an easy response that gives away nothing about the actual strategy.

I expect we will hire an offensive guy unless we're blown away by one of the defensive guys and don't get our pick of offensive guys. Just my $0.02

• Like 3

Jay Gruden on Ben Standig's podcast:

• He said it's infintely harder when the incoming head coach and the GM don't already know each other and its something that can't be fixed in a 2 hour conversation. There's a lot of questions like, who has the final say on Free Agents? What about that 2nd pick? What happens if we vehemently disagree?
  • He says its about managing the players and roster more than the plays and if the GM and HC already know each other they have a headstart in knowing each other's philosophies and how they like to approach players/roster.
  • He seemed iffy on Ben Johnson. He said there are a lot of people who could come in and call plays and have success with the players they have in Detroit but can he do that with the players that Washington has here? He notes that Eric Bieniemy had a lot more success in KC than he did here because KC had a much better roster so can Johnson do it with a lot less? He said its not like EB got dumber but he couldn't do the same job without the weapons and arsenal that KC had.
  • He said Ben Johnson needs to really look at this draft and make sure that  Drake Maye or Caleb or Jayden is a guy that he believes can make this franchise successful and if not he shouldn't come here.
  • Also said he would go with an offensive guy because of the draft pick and need but if they go defense Raheem Morris a great man, great coordinator and great leader of men. He said if you get a defensive guy you might lose your OC but that's why part of the head coaches job is to coach up your other coaches. You have to have people ready to step up
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

• He said it's infintely harder when the incoming head coach and the GM don't already know each other and its something that can't be fixed in a 2 hour conversation. There's a lot of questions like, who has the final say on Free Agents? What about that 2nd pick? What happens if we vehemently disagree?
  • He says its about managing the players and roster more than the plays and if the GM and HC already know each other they have a headstart in knowing each other's philosophies and how they like to approach players/roster.
  • He seemed iffy on Ben Johnson. He said there are a lot of people who could come in and call plays and have success with the players they have in Detroit but can he do that with the players that Washington has here? He notes that Eric Bieniemy had a lot more success in KC than he did here because KC had a much better roster so can Johnson do it with a lot less? He said its not like EB got dumber but he couldn't do the same job without the weapons and arsenal that KC had.
  • He said Ben Johnson needs to really look at this draft and make sure that  Drake Maye or Caleb or Jayden is a guy that he believes can make this franchise successful and if not he shouldn't come here.
  • Also said he would go with an offensive guy because of the draft pick and need but if they go defense Raheem Morris a great man, great coordinator and great leader of men. He said if you get a defensive guy you might lose your OC but that's why part of the head coaches job is to coach up your other coaches. You have to have people ready to step up

Ability to develop younger coaches is probably the single most important trait in a HC that we as fans never talk about. Jay's not a dummy, he was/is just unprofessional.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Ability to develop younger coaches is probably the single most important trait in a HC that we as fans never talk about. Jay's not a dummy, he was/is just unprofessional.

Yeah he said the hardest part of the job he found was first filling out the staff. Who would be the tight ends coach and wide receiver coach and defensive line and then constantly have to coach all of those people on top of the players and making sure all the coaches were always on the same page. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

The "leader of men" thing during the press conference was a nothing statement IMO.

Let's say Peters is highly predisposed to hiring an offensive guy. Well, he's not going to say it publicly when MacDonald, Aaron Glenn, Raheem Morris, and Anthony Weaver are on our interview list.

"Leadership is important" is definitionally true for hiring a leadership position and is an easy response that gives away nothing about the actual strategy.

I expect we will hire an offensive guy unless we're blown away by one of the defensive guys and don't get our pick of offensive guys. Just my $0.02

Pretty much all of it is meaningless. Did he say he was going to work hard to find the best players? Did he say he wanted players who the fans could be proud of? Did he say he was going to build the team "the right way"?

These are just boilerplate answers. Good that he gave them instead of saying something stupid, but none of it means anything. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He said it's infintely harder when the incoming head coach and the GM don't already know each other and its something that can't be fixed in a 2 hour conversation. There's a lot of questions like, who has the final say on Free Agents? What about that 2nd pick? What happens if we vehemently disagree?

This doesn't make much sense to me. Even if a GM and head coach know each other, who says they won't vehemently disagree on a draft choice.

Listened to Keim and Bram's live podcast just now.

Bram mentioned 2-3 candidates they are especially interested, he belives Ben Johnson in particular.  Keim said they are interested in Johnson and heard Johnson is interested back but that doesn't mean per se it happens.  Bram wondered if this team would match Carolina if they offered something outrageous for Johnson.

Keim doubled down that they are saying both privately and publicly that leadership is the most important criteria for a HC.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bram mentioned 2-3 candidates they are especially interested, he belives Ben Johnson in particular.  Keim said they are interested in Johnson and heard Johnson is interested back but that doesn't mean per se it happens.

Keim doubled down that they are saying both privately and publicly that leadership is the most important criteria for a HC.  

I really think Johnson has been the pick all along and Spielman was hired because of his brother's Detroit connection.

Question is whether it happens, and whether Johnson would bring along Brunell and Randle El to form his staff here or whether one of those guys would be elevated in Detroit. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bram mentioned 2-3 candidates they are especially interested, he belives Ben Johnson in particular.  Keim said they are interested in Johnson and heard Johnson is interested back but that doesn't mean per se it happens.  Bram wondered if this team would match Carolina if they offered something outrageous for Johnson.

I don't begrudge anyone for getting the money. They should all go for the bucks while they can get them.

However, if Johnson is willing to go to the garbage fire in Carolina for a couple mil more per year, I have some doubts about his intelligence. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I don't begrudge anyone for getting the money. They should all go for the bucks while they can get them.

However, if Johnson is willing to go to the garbage fire in Carolina for a couple mil more per year, I have some doubts about his intelligence. 

He will use Carolina's outrageous offer to drive up his compensation package in DC. Harris will open up and make a reasonably competitive counter-offer because he has the $$ and wants his guy. Johnson will come here and draft his fellow UNC alum Maye at #2 overall.

Believe! 

4 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

This doesn't make much sense to me. Even if a GM and head coach know each other, who says they won't vehemently disagree on a draft choice.

That's what he said. 

Here's the link (he also talks about that nonsense Twitter war from last night with RG3 and BMitch)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Jay Gruden is an idiot. 

KC don’t have crap at skill positions outside of TE. None of their receivers would start here - Rice maybe would be #3. Their offensive roster overall is bang average at best. 

But they have Patrick Mahomes. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2