Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

51 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Could probably hit the portal. Not 100% sure since he already transferred, though. College rules change weekly, so who knows.

But I think he’s going to declare. But it’s fun to talk about the what if and realize how bad him not declaring ****s us :ols:

What logic could there be in transferring? His draft stock can only go down.

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Ron Rivera basically admitted that was why he was fired. 

Jay Gruden just tweeted this. It’s known across the league. That’s why the QBs go so high in drafts. 

And yet the Steelers won 10 games with terrible QB play, and the Browns are in the playoffs on their 4th QB. And the last QB he coached in Jax, Minchew, ALMOST made the playoffs.  

Jay had Kirk for 3 years and won 9, 8 and 7 games in that period.  

He’s not entirely wrong that you need a good QB. 

But good coaching is good coaching.  And he’s making an excuse for his firing. 

10 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

There’s no living in him not declaring and being the #1 overall draft pick and starting the clock to a potential $50m+ a year contract.  If he’s good, that is.  

• Like 2

It really sucks that otherwise good to great coaches get fired for not obtaining one of the hardest positions to nail down in sports. There is a certain amount of luck involved. I would like to think I would be more patient with a coach if I owned a team. However, I don’t and I only need about 10 billion more dollars than I have now to do so. 

24 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Hes got an outside-the-box build of a player agent representing and giving him advice apparently. Probably family and friends that know better than a real agent

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I can see this working one of three ways:

1. Peters nails this draft, everyone here gives him credit. 

2. Peters botches this draft, people make excuses for him. 

3. Peters botches this draft, the honeymoon stage is officially over. 

What other options could there be?

39 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And yet the Steelers won 10 games with terrible QB play, and the Browns are in the playoffs on their 4th QB. And the last QB he coached in Jax, Minchew, ALMOST made the playoffs.  

There’s no living in him not declaring and being the #1 overall draft pick and starting the clock to a potential $50m+ a year contract.  If he’s good, that is.  

Your point about the Steelers and other teams is spot on. The Steelers had the perfect schedule and the best defensive player in the league going for them. Also, since you brought it up, isn't it interesting that all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Mason Rudolph is starting their playoff game over Kenny Pickett? Most QB's take more than 3 years to learn the league and experience success, it's why I'm not ready to give up on Sam Howell. Yes, you need a good QB to go far and they can be found in many ways. Believe this, many Eagles fans are really, really down on Jalen Hurts right now because he's being exposed as a QB who can' t handle the blitz. Is this accurate? Maybe....but his offensive coordinator is doing him no favors with the worst pre-snap motion offense in the entire NFL. 

Purdy is doing great because of his system first, his teammates and his ability to take coaching and learn the offense. If a new coach comes in and says he likes Howell and thinks he can be a quick learner in his system and excel then roll with him. This year be damned. There is so much we don't know so we shouldn't judge. 

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

I mean the Texans drafting David Carr 1 overall didn’t stop them from taking Shroud last year 

Stroud isn't a sure bet yet even though he looks the part, but you're not wrong in your point. However, I think the Panthers would like to have their #1 overall pick back or the haul they paid to get him....this is the coin flip Troy Aikman was talking about when picking a QB in round one. 50/50.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Your point about the Steelers and other teams is spot on. The Steelers had the perfect schedule and the best defensive player in the league going for them. Also, since you brought it up, isn't it interesting that all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Mason Rudolph is starting their playoff game over Kenny Pickett? Most QB's take more than 3 years to learn the league and experience success, it's why I'm not ready to give up on Sam Howell. Yes, you need a good QB to go far and they can be found in many ways. Believe this, many Eagles fans are really, really down on Jalen Hurts right now because he's being exposed as a QB who can' t handle the blitz. Is this accurate? Maybe....but his offensive coordinator is doing him no favors with the worst pre-snap motion offense in the entire NFL. 

Purdy is doing great because of his system first, his teammates and his ability to take coaching and learn the offense. If a new coach comes in and says he likes Howell and thinks he can be a quick learner in his system and excel then roll with him. This year be damned. There is so much we don't know so we shouldn't judge. 

Stroud isn't a sure bet yet even though he looks the part, but you're not wrong in your point. However, I think the Panthers would like to have their #1 overall pick back or the haul they paid to get him....this is the coin flip Troy Aikman was talking about when picking a QB in round one. 50/50.

But that’s why this opportunity is so great. Unlike RG3 or Bryce Young, there’s no king ransom to pay. It’s a potential franchise QB falling right in your lap with minimal risk long term. I would totally get the hesitation on trading up. But this situation is almost perfect. 

Also, Kenny Pickett is hurt. 

And I really think our fans underrate how bad Sam was last year. He’s not getting another opportunity outside of injury. His numbers were atrocious and the last 6 or so games pretty much wrecked any good he put on tape prior to that. It’s literally just not going to happen. He was that bad. 

There was no consideration of the Texans rolling with Davis Mills (who had put up comparable if not better stats than Sam to that point) instead of drafting Shroud last year. 

There was no consideration of rolling with Minshew (who was legitimately good and won games) instead of drafting Lawrence in Jacksonville circa 2021. 

This is not a thing, guys. Especially when the folks in charge have zero ties to Sam. I don’t even get why it’s a topic but I guess that’s the “extreme” part 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

It’s a bit outside the box, and may not be popular with the fanbase right now, but I would definitely at least interview Ken Dorsey for the HC position (especially if we know we’re going to draft Maye).

He was scapegoated for the Bills’ struggles early this season, but I think he’s a talented offensive mind. Some of his accomplishments:

- QB coach in Carolina from 2013-2017 who helped turn the raw Cam Newton into an MVP in 2015 and helped make Ron Rivera look competent. 

- QB coach in Buffalo from 2019-2020 who helped fix Josh Allen’s sloppy mechanics and consistent inaccuracy, and turned him into a young star QB. 

- Passing game coordinator and QB coach in Buffalo in 2021 who helped lead the Bills to a top 10 DVOA offense and helped solidify Josh Allen as a perennial top 3 QB. 

- OC in Buffalo in 2022 and half of 2023.  Buffalo ranked top 3 in DVOA offense while he was OC. 

Scapegoating aside, this is a guy I think would get the most out of Maye and lead us to a top of the league offense within a few years. I think he’s proven his ability to take prospects who are somewhat raw mechanically and allow them to reach their ceilings… and he’s been doing it for much longer than Slowik or Johnson have (and his offenses have been ranked better). But Slowik and Johnson are the shiny new toys while Dorsey was recently let go, so ultimately, I doubt we go this route. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

It’s a bit outside the box, and may not be popular with the fanbase right now, but I would definitely at least interview Ken Dorsey for the HC position (especially if we know we’re going to draft Maye).

He was scapegoated for the Bills’ struggles early this season, but I think he’s a talented offensive mind. Some of his accomplishments:

- QB coach in Carolina from 2013-2017 who helped turn the raw Cam Newton into an MVP in 2015 and helped make Ron Rivera look competent. 

- QB coach in Buffalo from 2019-2020 who helped fix Josh Allen’s sloppy mechanics and consistent inaccuracy, and turned him into a young star QB. 

- Passing game coordinator and QB coach in Buffalo in 2021 who helped lead the Bills to a top 10 DVOA offense and helped solidify Josh Allen as a perennial top 3 QB. 

- OC in Buffalo in 2022 and half of 2023.  Buffalo ranked top 3 in DVOA offense while he was OC. 

Scapegoating aside, this is a guy I think would get the most out of Maye and lead us to a top of the league offense within a few years. I think he’s proven his ability to take prospects who are somewhat raw mechanically and allow them to reach their ceilings… and he’s been doing it for much longer than Slowik or Johnson have (and his offenses have been ranked better). But Slowik and Johnson are the shiny new toys while Dorsey was recently let go, so ultimately, I doubt we go this route. 

This may be a good time for him to take a lower position like QB coach on the brand new Washington staff.;)

:229:The Rook

• Haha 2
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, The Rook said:

This may be a good time for him to take a lower position like QB coach on the brand new Washington staff.;)

:229:The Rook

Haha, doubt he would take that much of a step down. Maybe OC if we were lucky (because he’d be one in name only if we hired Johnson or Slowik as HC).

Edited by HTTRDynasty

Ironically, I just saw this tweet.  

Some others:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/11/16/josh-allen-says-bills-decision-fire-ken-dorsey-personally

“I love Dorsey as a human being; he's one of the good ones. He's been in this room with me for a very long time,” said Allen. “I feel like I owe him a lot of the success that I've had in my career, and he's been a huge part of that, so it's sad to see him go. The fact is, we play better as a team, we probably don't have to make a move like that. He was a big part of what we've been doing here in the last few years."

Also, https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/04/cam-newton-credited-new-buffalo-bills-qb-coach-ken-dorsey-success-josh-allen/

“Cam Newton credited new Bills QB coach Ken Dorsey for success”

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don’t necessarily disagree with your point about coaching but I’ll argue that none of the 3 teams you mentioned are consistently in the playoffs. The goal isn’t a one off appearance. Even Jay managed that. To be a consistent winner, you gotta have to have that position locked down. 

Browns have been looking forever. Luckily they have Flacco on a heater right now. 

Steelers are a good example for coaching’s importance. They’ve been over .500 the last few years solely bc of Tomlin imo. But they haven’t been a real threat since Ben retired. 

And the Colts have been a disaster since Andrew Luck decided to value health over football. 

• Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If Johnson from the Lions is hired as our HC, keep an eye on Mark Brunell, the Lion's QB Coach.  He may be coming over with Johnson as his OC.  

That would be great. I hear he’s super smart!😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 12
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

If Johnson from the Lions is hired as our HC, keep an eye on Mark Brunell, the Lion's QB Coach.  He may be coming over with Johnson as his OC.  

I doubt it. The guy has been a QB coach for a while. Not sure if folks see him as a future OC

5 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

….There’s no way they’re passing on QB, guys. There’s no need to even bring it up. This is a universally praised QB class. It’s not 2022. 

Not to mention that Shen also apparently thinks that QB is the most important position on the team.

29 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

If we retain Mayhew but let him interview with other teams, could we potentially get comp picks ? Or are they just for minority promotions as opposed to side ways moves ?

"The policy enacted in 2020 states: "Clubs that develop a diverse employee who is hired in the position of Primary Football Executive or Head Coach at another club, will receive a draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory draft pick in the third round in each of the next two drafts. If a club has two employees hired for either a head coach or GM position, then that club will receive third-round compensatory pick in the next three drafts." Link

We will get a Bay Area classic ham sandwich ;)

Ham-Sandwich-180x180.jpg

Edited by FrFan
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

What logic could there be in waiting to declare?

Like I said, I don’t see him transferring because I think he’s going to enter the draft, regardless of the theatrics. 

But we’re just having a little discourse here. 

I’m not sure with Caleb as far as his motivations. His Dad has said several times that he doesn’t need to come out and could stay another year. It’s all probably smoke and mirrors and publicity, but we should really listen when people say things… especially family members. It means that there is some sort of thought in that direction, even if it’s not necessarily a really high probability.

6 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

It just doesn’t compute in my brain. Every time a coach or GM is fired now, the root cause is tied back to the lack of a QB. I don’t see how anyone could think they’d wait on that especially since that is is what just doomed Ron. 

If for whatever random reason Williams stays then WSH is taking Daniels. There’s no debate to me. That’s the NFL. 

The new GM has the same probability of getting fired if he selects a bad QB.

In general, I agree with you. We’re in a place where QB is basically a necessity. 

But if Williams doesn’t declare and Maye is gone and their scouting department doesn’t love Daniels… why would you draft him?

Of course, they’d need to do something else at QB. They can’t sit on Howell, really. But it comes down to evaluations on Daniels.

My guess is they take him, but Daniels isn’t the same kind of prospect that Williams and Maye are.

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Then hire him to be a QB coach or passing game coordinator or OC, not HC.