Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah I don't have a beef with Rick.  Some others here do.  Comes off like a nice guy.  And I am a history buff and love pizza so I got those things in common with him.:ols:

My issue with him is no doubt he long ago was connected to the team and had good sources but clearly not today.  He was exposed some more on that front when some random fan months before the sale happened started the rumor on twitter that it was happening that night.  So Rick kicks in saying he hears the same.    Stuff like that.  

And then as things progressed, he was basically quoting Keim without giving him credit.  So he comes off as a dude who isn't plugged in at all but wants others to think he is.

If he just stuck to talking about the team from an historic perspective, I think he'd be on point.

Eh.  Maybe if he was just a historian, maybe. But that's kindof Andy Polin's thing locally.  

Overall, I disagree, I think he's always been a self promoting, pompous ass going back 20+ years.  He's always been "look at me and how smart I am."  But what always really bothered me is he was the centerpiece for years of the group of reporters who weren't really plugged in but took credit for other reporters work.  Many have pointed to the outlets he worked for as the primary offenders of this, and he was one of the primary members of those outfits who was an offender.  

And it hasn't changed.  At this point, I don't think any of the other reporters really care that much because he's relegated to 2 minute twitter videos.  Btw, I will give him props for one thing: they are higher quality productions than Mustachio Warren Sharpe and his "let me click the button to flip my phone so I can show you my laptop screen" antics.  

I think what's missed here whether Peters had input in the Lance decision or not and I've read Kyle makes all the QB decisions, he's willing to keep swinging and take chances with the draft/players.  We've had such predictable people making conservative moves here.  I think Peters will be empowered without worrying about job security.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Not for me. I'm happy today, and I think it was a good move and all that jazz.  And we're finally a team that has a chance to go get a guy who is coveted across the league, that's new and different.

Joe was different.  Granted, this could be because of age.  From when I was 7 to 17, we went to 4 SBs, won 3, and went to a 5th NFC Championship game.  Joe was an icon.  Joe returning to take over a franchise that had floundered for the 12 years since he left was iconic.  

I don't think it is even close, for me, on the emotional level.  And that isn't because today isn't great, it's because of what that announcement in 2004 was all about.  

To each their own and I'm not trying to yuk anybody's yum.  Just for me it's entirely different.  

For me the difference is that I was 22 when Joe came back and still very green to how the world and the NFL worked.  In my mind, we were instantly going to be playing for championships until he decided to leave again.

20 years later and wiser, I know that nothing is more important than the very top of the organization.  

This level of renewed hope is just another level for me. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The Lions rushed the ball 500 times.  The 49ers 499.  Texans 439.  

I think the better way of looking at it, however, is how good the teams were at running the ball.  

I would also say look at WHEN they are rushing. Good teams tend to get ahead in games - and run the ball more frequently later in games as they run a 4 minute offense to kill clock. Bad teams are behind and have to throw more. Some just throw more period ...

So for many teams the number of rushing attempts might be correlated with wins - but not the cause of those wins.

As ever with stats context is important.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

My argument is more I think Ben Johnson gets into a "run run run" rut.  Just like EB got into a pass-pass-pass rut.  There isn't really a statistic for that, they have more passing attempts than rushing attempts over the year.  But that's what I saw when I watched the games.  Especially early.  

We'll see.  I'd be happy with either.  

I do think the Johnson offense is easier to stop.  And I'll concede, that might be because Stoud might already be better than Goff.  

Yeah i think if you want someone who will throw Drake Maye to the wolves with a subpar O line and without running the ball and play action.  Ben Johnson is a nightmare for you.  He's not the opposite extreme of Bieniemy though. 

He passes the ball 56% of the time.  Identical to your idol Sean McVay.  Sean isn't a throw the ball like mad dude either so I don't know why he'd still be your guy?  That dolt Kyle Shanahan who can't score points, throws the ball 51% of the time. 

So if you are looking for the opposite extreme of Bieiniemy that would be Kyle. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38508867/the-rise-detroit-lions-oc-ben-johnson

"Sometimes people think there are a lot of magical things that are getting involved in football and certainly Ben schematically is very, very good. But the impressive thing is they execute at a high level," Philbin told ESPN. "They do intelligent things, they don't run a lot of bad plays, they're sound, they execute well. They play hard, which are all good indicators of a well-coached offensive football team. So, I wouldn't say that I'm overly surprised by any of that."

Campbell describes Johnson as a "chess player". He says Johnson puts a lot of time and thought into getting certain players touches and when to call plays, which, according to Campbell, is key in building the gameplan for the week.

"He can identify quickly things that, 'Man, I know I've got to be better here. I won't ever do that again. Man, if we play these guys again, this is exactly what I would do,'" Campbell said.

"He's got an answer for all of it in real time and the more he memory banks, he just keeps getting better and better and growing. And then even from the game-plan standpoint, putting players in the best position to have success."

Johnson displayed his sense of timing in the fourth quarter of a Week 14 victory over the Minnesota Vikings last season. Nursing a late lead, on a critical third-and-7, he drew up a trick play for Lions offensive tackle Penei Sewell, whose 9-yard catch extended the drive and helped the Lions seal a 34-23 win.

"You can't do that if you don't have a coordinator that's got vision, flexibility and belief in what he does so Ben's outstanding," Campbell said. "He's doing a hell of a job, [he's] his own worst critic, too. He's harder on himself than anybody can be, so he's driven that way."

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 3.23.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 3.28.40 PM.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

I just can't see a new gm coming in and using the former guys draft board especially since that regime was terrible at drafting and lost their jobs due to a 4 win season.

He may actually get a good laugh out of it.

Peters: "Check this out, he has a long-snapper he wants with a 5th round grade. Rivera must drink heavily when he's watching college games."

I'll add here about Ben Johnson.  The Lions has the 2nd more prolific passing team in the league.  6th most prolific running team. They clearly know how to do both.  But Ben's pedigree ironically is the passing game.

Ben, an ex-QB, an ex-Qb coach -- same dude who basically got the Lions job by becoming the defacto passing coordinator when he was their TE coach -- knows plenty clearly about how to move the ball by air.   I've been reading for the last two years that he's been a wiz among other things about how he works route spacing -- same stuff that ironically Bieniemy gets hit for.  

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2021/12/08/lions-notes-assistant-ben-johnson-nets-praise-work-hes-done-passing-game/6437814001/

Johnson spent eight seasons with the Dolphins, working with the quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends, prior to joining the Lions in 2019, where he's similarly seen his role develop and expand. 

"I've been impressed with Ben from Day 1," Lions quarterback coach Mark Brunell said. "He has a lot of experience. He's been coaching in the NFL for 10 years. Still young — 35 years old —  and he's been around a lot. I've learned a lot from Ben, and not just since the last couple weeks or whatever, but since the day I stepped foot on this facility. I've learned a lot from him as far as offensive football, passing game, coaching, and he's been around some good coaches. I'm fortunate that I get to be around him."

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 3.35.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 3.36.26 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So if you are looking for the opposite extreme of Bieiniemy that would be Kyle. 

But he's not.  They're a 50/50 run team.

The opposite of EB is the Ravens.  Almost identical percentage flipped.  The difference is they throw the ball for roughly 10 yards an attempt.  Which is WILD.  

46 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So I suspect that the situation with Peters and Cunningham was kind of similar. We know that other teams requested interviews, but don't know that they ever entertained the offers. Given both turned down other teams, seems they were only tempted out of their current roles for this one opportunity. McClay, on the other hand, was happy staying put all along.

Getting the interest of two out of those three, though...What a turnaround!

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But he's not.  They're a 50/50 run team.

The opposite of EB is the Ravens.  Almost identical percentage flipped.  The difference is they throw the ball for roughly 10 yards an attempt.  Which is WILD.  

It's pretty close SF is next to last.  Ravens is last.  Both are crap teams, I would never want to emulate either team.  😎. It would be embarrasing.  

But seriously, Johnson throws 56% of the time, same as McVay but its just not enough for you -- even though the dude is hailed nonstop for his innovative scheme for BOTH the running game-passing game.  Saying personality isn't much of a factor for you either in the HC -- but your conversation is focused mostly about passing more.  I get you aren't a fan of running the ball.   But even by those measures it feels a bit extreme to me.   😎

Screen Shot 2024-01-12 at 3.52.58 PM.png

4 hours ago, UK_HOG said:

So so happy, the 1st real GM since Casserly left.

Casserly was a real GM? Asking for friend here, but dude blew 3 top 5 picks badly (Desmond Howard, Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook), traded the sixth overall pick for a decent, but not great DL (Sean Gilbert) that didn't want to play here and somehow picked a guy so bad in the first round he literally never played a game in Washington or barely anywhere (Andre Johnson). That's a draft record that would make Vinny Cerrato blush. Somebody rode Bobby Beathard's coattails hard. I can at least give him credit for taking advantage of Mike Ditka's extreme stupidity and ultimately landing Champ Bailey before being pushed out. Otherwise, his best first round pick was...Tom Carter?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Peters will have the benefit of millions of mock ES drafts, including the ones where we repeatedly trade down 2 or 3 spots in the first round until we have no 1st round pick but a majority of 3rd and 4th rounders.  "With its 1st of 15 3rd round picks, the Washington Commanders select, not an injured guard, not an overrated, undersized linebacker, and certainly not a long snapper but [ ]"

• Haha 10

5 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Peters will have the benefit of millions of mock ES drafts, including the ones where we repeatedly trade down 2 or 3 spots in the first round until we have no 1st round pick but a majority of 3rd and 4th rounders.  "With its 1st of 15 3rd round picks, the Washington Commanders select, not an injured guard, not an overrated, undersized linebacker, and certainly not a long snapper but [ ]"

I'm starting to wonder if that's not how half these GMs get their education by lurking on message boards like this lol

6 minutes ago, Jericho said:

Casserly was a real GM? Asking for friend here, but dude blew 3 top 5 picks badly (Desmond Howard, Heath Shuler, Michael Westbrook), traded the sixth overall pick for a decent, but not great DL (Sean Gilbert) that didn't want to play here and somehow picked a guy so bad in the first round he literally never played a game in Washington or barely anywhere (Andre Johnson). That's a draft record that would make Vinny Cerrato blush. Somebody rode Bobby Beathard's coattails hard. I can at least give him credit for taking advantage of Mike Ditka's extreme stupidity and ultimately landing Champ Bailey before being pushed out. Otherwise, his best first round pick was...Tom Carter?

I’m not here to debate with you cause I’m in total agreement with your above stated facts, but on the reverse side he also got Stephan Davis in the 4th round out of Auburn who as we know was very good here and also signed probably the best QB we’ve had here not named Cousins in Brad Johnson, so while he had bad draft picks he also had some good moves too, I think it’s always a 50/50 when it comes to this type of stuff…. 

The day I’ve been dreading for the last 5 years has turned into euphoria , unbelievable. (Just seeing the  hiring news after leaving my Colonoscopy ) . So overdue , it’s a new day finally and I personally thought I’d never see it. Now we can finally focus on ****ing about football stuff and not off the field stuff😂

Pocket Napoleon can rot in hell.  

Edited by ANONYMOUS SOURCE.
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

The day I’ve been dreading for the last 5 years has turned into euphoria , unbelievable. (Just seeing the  hiring news after leaving my Colonoscopy ) . So overdue , it’s a new day finally and I personally thought I’d never see it. Now we can finally focus on ****ing about football stuff and not off the field stuff😂

Pocket Napoleon can rot in hell.  

You scheduled a colonoscopy 5 years in advance?

• Haha 6

19 minutes ago, Command The 414 said:

I’m not here to debate with you cause I’m in total agreement with your above stated facts, but on the reverse side he also got Stephan Davis in the 4th round out of Auburn who as we know was very good here and also signed probably the best QB we’ve had here not named Cousins in Brad Johnson, so while he had bad draft picks he also had some good moves too, I think it’s always a 50/50 when it comes to this type of stuff…. 

You're right. I think things were turning around. Our defense still stunk, but we had one of the best offenses in the league, outside of Minnesota and of course the St. Louis Rams. Of course Snyder's first round of meddling was enough to tank the whole momentum into oblivion 

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Thumb up 1

• The Washington Commanders’ hire of Adam Peters to lead their football operation is a smart, sensible pick to invest in a guy who’s been on the rise for a while.

The 44-year-old came up through the Patriots, Denver Broncos and San Francisco 49ers organizations, and got to Super Bowls in his time with all three teams. His last step in San Francisco was as John Lynch’s right-hand man over the previous seven seasons (the first four as VP of player personnel, the last three as assistant general manager).

If you want a feel for his work, the Niners’ roster is a pretty good place to start, with his strong reputation as an evaluator proven out in the players that San Francisco is putting on the field on a weekly basis. But beyond just that, Peters’s people skills have also stood out to those around him over the years, an indication he’d grow well into a GM job. “He can relate to people well. He connects,” said one former coworker of his from Denver. “So he should be able to create a good, positive culture.”

Titles are titles, and for right now, Peters’s title will be general manager. But Harris has communicated that the Commanders would be set up like his other teams, with a head of business and a head of that sport’s operations. Team president Jason Wright is the former, and now Peters is the latter, with both reporting to Harris.

Next up for Peters are a coaching search and a press conference Tuesday.

Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Mike Macdonald has emerged as a very hot candidate—and it’s rare, in where we are right now in the NFL, to say that about a defensive coach who’s never been a head coach before. But here we are, and Macdonald has requests from five teams (Falcons, Titans, Commanders, Panthers) that have open jobs.

There are two reasons. One, quite obviously, is that he’s coming from Baltimore. Having been developed as a coach through that program over two stints, he offers the chance to bring a version of that innovative, forward-thinking program with him. Two, the scheme he’s running (the same one Jesse Minter is running for John Harbaugh’s brother at Michigan) is one that NFL teams are going to be after as they fill out staffs over the next month.

• Like 1