Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Moving Towards our Future Front Office and Coaching Hires. All the Way to the Water Boy - Adam Peters Hired as GM! The Mighty Quinn is HC Kliff Kingsbury as OC. Joe Whitt jr at DC.

Koolblue13

Khai Harley, assistant GM/VP of football operations, New Orleans Saints: Over the years, the Saints have shown an ability to maintain a top-heavy roster, while taking care of their own. Harley has been instrumental in GM Mickey Loomis’s ability to do all of that through the Sean Payton years and now through Dennis Allen’s first two years. There could have been plenty of rumblings if Payton could have taken Harley with him as GM when the ex-Saints coach was considering his options, which is a nice affirmation of how he sees Harley.

Joe Hortiz, director of player personnel, Baltimore Ravens: If there were rankings within this list, Hortiz would be up there at the top with just a few others. Hortiz came up as a college scout like Baltimore GM Eric DeCosta and Jets GM Joe Douglas. After Newsome departed, he moved into DeCosta’s old No. 2 spot and assumed more responsibility. He’s another top exec with old-school roots in a new-age organization—the Ravens are as progressive as any team in their approach—and has been right there with DeCosta and John Harbaugh in building what might, at this juncture, be the NFL’s best team.

Adam Peters, assistant GM, San Francisco 49ers: The only thing Peters hasn’t accomplished in six years in San Francisco is winning a title (and that might be coming). The ex-UCLA player cut his teeth as a college scout in New England, rose as a personnel man in Denver under Josh McDaniels and then John Elway, and grew into a well respected exec in San Francisco going to Super Bowls with all three teams. Peters nearly got the New York Giants’ job two years ago, and turned down interviews with the Titans and Cardinals last year. So he won’t leave a good situation for just any job (but the native Californian could be an interesting match for the Los Angeles Chargers, or even the Patriots).

Catherine Râiche, assistant GM, Cleveland Browns: She’s drawn respect from her peers for her ability to build and execute a strategic vision, something she first culled as a top executive for the Montreal Alouettes and Toronto Argonauts. Râiche was hired from there by Roseman. While she was at the Eagles, she also worked under Berry, who took her to Cleveland to lead football operations, a role he had in Philly. She’s shown acumen in scouting, contract management and player development, and is a pretty decent bet to, eventually, become the NFL’s first female GM.

Jake Rosenberg, VP of football administration, Eagles: Rosenberg came up on the contract side, and Philly has done magic with its football operations—consistently one of the cap-healthiest teams in the league, even when stocked with big names and big–money quarterbacks. As part of his job, Rosenberg’s had to work with ownership, and with different departments in properly valuing players and helping Roseman to manage the roster. He also has a business background that will appeal to owners.

Kyle Smith, assistant GM, Atlanta Falcons: The son of former Chargers GM A.J. Smith, the Atlanta exec was, years ago, seen as a future GM. After years in Dan Snyder’s Washington, he has seen his stock rebound in a new place. Teams have tried to poach him—which is one reason why Terry Fontenot promoted him in the spring (assistant GMs can’t leave for anything but GM jobs without permission). Niners coach Kyle Shanahan is a proponent, and even explored trying to hire Smith a couple of years ago when GM John Lynch considered walking away.

Nolan Teasley, assistant GM, Seahawks: Promoted last year from his old post as pro scouting director, Teasley has spent the entirety of his time in the NFL working his way through Schneider’s personnel department, mostly on the pro side. He’s proven to be strong as an evaluator, and an innovator in the way he handles his evaluations—with a new-age eye for talent. He may be a couple of years away, but has garnered the respect of those around him.

Brandt Tilis, VP of football operations, Kansas City Chiefs: One veteran GM I was texting with earlier this week called Tilis “really special” as a personnel guy. By trade, Tilis has come up on the cap-analytics side. But he’s made an impact across the board for the Chiefs, negotiating Patrick Mahomes’s unique contract, helping Veach and Borgonzi rework the roster around it, while rebuilding the defensive and offensive lines. He’s a little outside the box, yes. But he did interview for the Panthers job a few years back, and should be in the mix for more soon.

Ed Dodds, assistant GM, Indianapolis Colts: The NFL’s road scouts universally see Dodds as one of the league’s most connected and talented evaluators—his role in Seattle helping build the Legion of Boom before he arrived in Indy. As the Colts’ assistant GM, he’s been a part of a playoff contender under two different coaches, and has been Chris Ballard’s most trusted lieutenant (with Morocco Brown right there, as well). It’s worth keeping an eye on Las Vegas with Dodds. The Raiders really liked him after he interviewed there in 2022, and he has connections to Jim Harbaugh, who could be a target.

Terrance Gray, director of player personnel, Buffalo Bills: Brandon Beane’s scouting pipeline has Gray up next—and Gray impressed the NFL people he’s met with the past couple of rounds at the front office and coach accelerator program. Gray worked on the college scouting side under former Vikings GM Rick Spielman and former assistant GM George Paton in Minnesota (now Broncos GM), and continued with that when Beane hired him as college scouting director in 2017. He was named assistant director of player personnel in ’20, then moved into his current role, taking on a more prominent position in pro scouting when Joe Schoen left to take the Giants GM job in ’22. Gray’s polished, and has steadily become more and more complete as an exec.

Ian Cunningham, assistant GM, Chicago Bears: Cunningham was on the cusp of landing the Arizona Cardinals job before pulling his name out last year. He interviewed in Tennessee, too, and that was without the results the Bears are getting now in the rebuild he has helped orchestrate alongside GM Ryan Poles. Cunningham came from Philly, where he was college director and assistant director of player personnel for Howie Roseman. He also worked under Ozzie Newsome in Baltimore, where he worked his way into a position as Southeast area scout—a post that Newsome, the Alabama legend, didn’t staff lightly.

Ray Agnew, assistant GM, Detroit Lions: Agnew has an interesting background as a candidate on this list—once a top-10 pick, the old defensive tackle transitioned to an off-field role with the Rams after winning a Super Bowl with them in 1999, then retired after the 2000 season. His 18-year rise through the administrative side included stints as team pastor, director of player development, assistant pro scouting director and, finally, pro scouting director. Brad Holmes took him to Detroit with him, where he’s been an invaluable resource with a unique eye in player evaluation, and as a unifying force with a low-key Ozzie Newsome-type of presence.

Mike Borgonzi, assistant GM, Kansas City Chiefs: Borgonzi has been GM Brett Veach’s No. 2 for seven seasons, and has seven division titles, three AFC championships and two Lombardi trophies won over that time. He was initially hired in Kansas City in 2009 by Pioli, which gave him four years in a Patriots-style program before Andy Reid arrived in 2013. He’s done just about everything in his time—and as a result, the former Ivy League fullback is about as well rounded (and ready) a candidate as you’ll find.

Chad Brinker, assistant GM, Tennessee Titans: In his first year with the Titans, Brinker has a unique background, toggling between scouting and cap-analytics coming up in Green Bay. He has also worked in both pro and college scouting before working closely with long-time Packers lead negotiator Russ Ball over his past six years there. As part of that last assignment, Brinker received an MBA from Northwestern, giving him the sort of business-football blend in background that will appeal to owners. Is he ready? It’s a fair question. But his time is coming.

Brandon Brown, assistant GM, New York Giants: Despite the dip this year from his team, Brown, who’s one of the youngest guys on this list, is seen as a riser both in that organization, and the league, as the right-hand man to Joe Schoen. After starting his career as personnel man with the Colts, and with a law degree in hand, Brown went to Philadelphia, and quickly started to climb the ladder on the pro scouting side, becoming director in 2019, then director of player personnel in 2021. It’ll probably take another year or two, and some more Giants wins, but Brown’s time is coming.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Seeing that list with Kyle Smith on it just kind of brings home how Ron sunk his tenure before it even got started here.

Parted ways with KOC in favor of bringing in Norv’s son.

Stated publicly that first ballot HOF Trent Williams needed to prove himself, as opposed to getting on bended knee and kissing his ass in an attempt to repair the relationship.

Inherited #2 pick and chose Chase Young, bypassing QB and giving Haskins the nod.

Parted with Kyle Smith in favor of the freaking Marties.

Looking back, he went out of his way to chase off or squander the majority of good things he inherited.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Seeing that list with Kyle Smith on it just kind of brings home how Ron sunk his tenure before it even got started here.

Stated publicly that first ballot HOF Trent Williams needed to prove himself, as opposed to getting on bended knee and kissing his ass in an attempt to repair the relationship.

Inherited #2 pick and chose Chase Young, bypassing QB and giving Haskins the nod.

Looking back, he went out of his way to chase off or squander the majority of good things he inherited.  

Pretty much every decision he made turned out poorly.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Pretty much every decision he made turned out poorly.

No doubt.

I imagine that dumping Trent and going with Haskins were items he agreed to when he accepted the job with Dan.  But still a mistake, Dan was courting him - he should have been clear that a full court press on getting Trent back was necessary and that Haskins simply wasn’t that dude - but honestly Rivera probably didn’t know that given what we know about him and QB’s now.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No doubt.

I imagine that dumping Trent and going with Haskins were items he agreed to when he accepted the job with Dan.  But still a mistake, Dan was courting him - he should have been clear that a full court press on getting Trent back was necessary and that Haskins simply wasn’t that dude - but honestly Rivera probably didn’t know that given what we know about him and QB’s now.

Yes on going with Haskins, the Williams well was poisoned by Allen and they had very little chance to bring him back without giving him a Deshaun Watson type contract.

All things considered, I think cutting Morgan Moses was the more egregious decision.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think a reason he agreed to keep Kyle Smith around in 2020 was ironically due to nepotism. AJ Smith was GM in San Diego when Ron was DC there. I wonder what broke down between those two as the 2020 offseason was fantastic at the time. 

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hortiz is my guy but analytics is what Harris seems to be about so I found this interesting: "Brandt Tilis, VP of football operations, Kansas City Chiefs: One veteran GM I was texting with earlier this week called Tilis “really special” as a personnel guy. By trade, Tilis has come up on the cap-analytics side."

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Can't say that I'm excited about a defensive minded dude, we shall see, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

That link from JLC doesn't actually say they are targeting the Ravens DC.  Just says Horitz and Macdonald are "it" guys.

23 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Some FO structure stuff.  Mentioned this the other day that many names of interest could occupy these roles.

Great posts, HigSkin!  I am on the VP of Football OPS ===> GM====> HC.  I like this format.  Of course, the in-betweens of VP of FB OPS and GM.  The making up of a good Front Office.  :) 

19 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Oh, you know I am loving this!  I hope it comes to fruition!  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Can't say that I'm excited about a defensive minded dude, we shall see, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Things changing dude not everyone has to be a OC type of coach. We just need “ a good coach” that can pick the right staff and players . We already had OC type coaches for years anyway since Norve Turner , and we still sucked . 

41 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Good move imo if this happens. Very excited about the next few months on a brand new era .

Edited by Commander202
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I believe the GM / HC relationship thing has been taken for granted here in DC.

It's typically either the HC has too much power or the defacto GM is an idiot.  Rarely have they ever been known the same page in a way the makes us a better football team.

If these two guys are linked like, I'm willing to bet money it's because if the GM was interviewing folks for HC he'd be one of the first on the list.  They need ro get along, and if that's someone he trusts, I'm getting out the way because we're talking about someone from the Newsome tree.

I'm optimistic if that works out, but also hearing rumors of us talking to assistant GMs from Vegas and Chicago, so not written in stone either.

• Like 3

I could see them hiring:

1) Dawn Aponte in a Prez or VP Football Ops role given her executive experience

2) Hortiz or Cunningham as GM with a more scouting/personnel background

3) Eugene Shen already here to run analytics

Those three positions each speak to distinct pillars of running a FO. Executive management, relationship and eye-test driven scouting, and quantitative analytics. I'd be very pleased with a structure like that. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

37 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I could see them hiring:

Those three positions each speak to distinct pillars of running a FO. Executive management, relationship and eye-test driven scouting, and quantitative analytics. I'd be very pleased with a structure like that. 

Remember that VP of Football OPS has more power than the GM.  

39 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I could see them hiring:

hear hear 

• Like 1